Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Europe Road Trip..
  • redafro
    Free Member

Hey folks,

I’m on the early stages of planning a road tip through France and Italy visiting some of (what i hope) will be a few months of epic trails.

Wondering if there are any other folk looking at doing the same..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I was back up north….

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Biking-Europe-Footprint-Activity/dp/190609831X
    worth a look if your planning on hitting a lot of places

redafro
    Free Member

have already got that on order.. wonder if there is an updated edition or another book thats come out recently with newer info in it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sure, whats in your head so far?

redafro
    Free Member

was in alpe d’huez and les deux alpes a few year ago.. think les arcs is a must and some of the more natural trails in italy..

redafro
    Free Member

thinking the Dolomites to..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My only suggestion for The Les Arcs area is to hit the surrounding area more (St Foye, La Rosearie, Up the valley towards Tignes etc). Been to both and the variety of trail in all the other valleys was amazing, just short on lift access. We did 10 days with the whiteroom and only spend 2 or 3 days in Les Arcs the rest was all over the place with van shuttles etc. La Thuile is the other resort style place just over the border. (https://vimeo.com/album/1988585)

redafro
    Free Member

As said early stages.. so any suggestion welcome! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What bikes are you taking and what are you looking for? Morzine GNARRRR DOWNHILL BIKES or singletrack?

I’d probably start with the PDS for a few nights and do some stuff, head south, maybe Cham, there is a spot on the way over to Les Arcs there too (in the book) Be tempted by an all in week in the Les Arcs area for the reasons above. Also for the price only camping would come in cheaper. From there either over to Italy (not sure where but heard of lots of good stuff) back round via Alp D’heuz etc or round to Garda.

Depends how long you have?

redafro
    Free Member

Hey, cheers for all the info mike! Am travelling in a van so camping mostly. Your advise for Les Arcs could be a goes and sounds like the better option!
    I’m an aggressive trail rider.. Like it steep and techy but also the fast and swoopy, throw in some switch backs and it’s smiles all the way!

I work on a 2 on 2 off rotation so looking at doing 3 maybe 4 lots of 2 weeks with flying back to the uk in between.

Might even try and squeeze in one (or even 2) of the many enduro races around Europe while over there..

alpin
    Free Member

if you head over to the Dolomites then stop off in Vinschgau… not saying more than that.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi. In the last few years we’ve done a 3 week trip, then a 6 weeks trip and this year will be about 10 weeks. A few suggestions (the book in the link above is mainly Bike Park stuff that you can find easily enough).

Andorra – great xc, uplifted techie stuff and bike parks – plus it’s cheap

Basque MTB (if you are heading that way = I’ve just booked with them after hearing too many good reviews, and wanting to ride near the coast)

Tende – look it up on Google. French / Italian border in the Maritime
    Alps, there’s good resources on the net, and some very technical riding there (not to mention 1000m climbs….)

Riviera Bikes – not the most scenic, but some of the best trails around and you get to do a lot of descending in a few days if you are passing through.

Valloire – nice little town with easy lift access, some handy via ferrata there too if you like that sort of thing.

Saux D’Oulx – a bit weird, but interesting to see how the Italians do things!

Lake Garda – amazing, but could be a bit out of your way?

Then there’s all the stuff in France that doesnt need any introduction – but my list there would include riding the Megavalanche course, La Varda as Les Arcs (Doubleheader is good too), the drive over the Galibier and other big passes, the black /red run down to Venosc, and so many trails around Chamonix.

You’ll get loads of advice on here, but drop me a line if you want any specific info.

You’ll have a great time.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Camping- I can recommend Le Versoyen in Allemond (Alp D’huez), Camping La Cascade (Venosc – bottom of Deux Alpes) and camping le Marmotte at Bourg St Maurice (Les Arcs).

All are very near the lifts, free bike bus or funicular (at Les Arcs). And all are close to bars!

redafro
    Free Member

Thanks for all the great info agentagnamit!!

What was your experience with rivierabikes? The riding sounds amazing but it can be a bit hit and miss with the company from what ive heard?

Have you done any other guided tours? like in Les Arcs?
    I heard there’s lots of good natural stuff around Chamonix too. but its not so easy to fine without a guide..?

I think i’ll be manily staying around central europe (France and Southern Germany) and Italy.. SO any other suggestions most welcom!!

I Spent a few weeks riding around Les 2 Alps and Alp D’huez a few years back.. never can forget the breaking bumps on Venosc!! Ouch
    BTW have you been to Le Grave near L2A?

Do you have any good links for Tende websites? Ahh yes.. isnt there some massive descent you can do into san remo or ending somewhere close to the beach?? Hmm A must do im thinking?

What about camping in Italy? easy to find?

Mann.. this is getting exciting!

Any other info most welcome!!!

CHEERS!! 😀

wallop

Camping- I can recommend Le Versoyen in Allemond (Alp D’huez)…..and camping le Marmotte at Bourg St Maurice (Les Arcs).

Are they the other way around? We always camp at Le Versoyen in Les Arcs!

redafro
    Free Member

Wallop.. how do you quote someone elses txt in your post??

wallop

Use the quote button – click once, paste the words, click again.

Oh, and –

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-alps-summer-2014-where-are-you-going-and-why

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Metabief and the Jura well worth a visit

redafro
    Free Member

[/quote]Nice one, cheers

redafro
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Wallop!! psyched 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would add in a few guided weeks as suggested above but you need to move quickly as a lot of weeks are sold out already. We Brits tend to focus on France and French speaking Switzerland (eg Metabief, Verbier) but there is a lot of riding in German speaking part (eg Lenzerheide) and if it’s a road trip then Zermatt is a must. Ive seen some good videos on here of riding in Liguano in the Italian part of Switzerland. A look at the map to do the big picture route planning will probably impact your chosen resorts). I think AdH and Les Deux Alpes are too far South/West if you are heading into Italy). As for bike riviera I’ve not been but know others who love them and I went on a ride with one of the owners when she was in the uk, good rider and very helpful and charming, and on that basis I’d be more than happy to go on one of their holidays

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve done a ride from this book, planning on doing a lot more this year Chamonix Bike Book

Verbier is about 45 mins by car from Chamonix in the summer so easy to ride both places on a trip.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Europe Road Trip..’ is closed to new replies.