Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Europe…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

….becoming increasingly sceptical and populist. Understandable but uncomfortable trends IMO.

UKIP, FNP, Syriza,

How will the mainstream parties react?

chewkw
    Free Member

You see if the mainstream parties keep forcing on the masses agendas they don’t like they get voted out. Simple. It’s called Demoncracy. 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Golden Dawn being elected in Greece. It’s all pretty depressing, really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Politics can stand in the face of economics for only so long……

….uncomfortable trends for modern historians though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good results all round for the believers in Democracy, bad results all round for those that still think they can force decisions on “the little people”

All good I say.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well people have been bemoaning the centralisation of modern politics recently. Will more extremes on both wings be any more palatable?

Big gains for LW and RW populist parties with Eurocentric agendas.

IanW
    Free Member

Tony Blair, slippery weasel much loved around these parts definitely caused the end of the UK and possibly the EU who knows, he’s a ****.

chewkw
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Golden Dawn being elected in Greece. It’s all pretty depressing, really.

That place does not need economy downturn to trigger right wing party surging in popularity because they are already fed up with boat people arriving in hundred if not thousands from North African. The govt is not doing much to prevent boat people because they want hand outs from EU so the people decide to vote them out. 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s bad enough having Judy Finnigan Maire Le Pen all across the FT but Farrage across our broadsheets tomorrow as well……

ninfan
    Free Member

Lib dems could come out of this with no MEP’s 😯

zippykona

I saw one result announced , I was absolutely stunned that the BNP got more than 100 votes. How the **** did they manage to find 18000 **** to vote for them.
    This country and apparently most of Europe had some serious problems.
    Fascism is hatred. Hatred is a circle. Stop it now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s all a bit 1930s isn’t it ? ……an economic crises with global reach, the rise of the right and nationalism in Europe, while the US swings to the left.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s the scary bit Ernie IME. The Euro elite need to wake up, respond quickly and adapt rapidly. More likely they will try to dismiss….. 🙁

Northwind

Looks like we might elect one of them but it’s still looking a lot less bawbag north of the border.

somafunk

I’m watching it on BBC and i’m starting to wonder what sort of people choose to vote BNP and UKIP voluntarily, i sincerely hope it’s just a blip with regard to disillusionment within Europe rather than a rise of fascism but even so there are other ways of expressing your distrust with the current status.

I just hope that UKIP do not get a seat in scotland but they’ve had blanket press coverage in the past few weeks and folk just may have been dumb enough to vote for them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am always confident/hopeful that (a majority of) your countrymen remain a canny bunch NW 😉

bob_summers

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The BNP aren’t doing well, most of their support from the last EU election has gone. And I don’t think there’s much doubt that when people vote UKIP in EU elections they are knowingly voting against the EU.

There has been increased support for parties hostile to the EU across Europe. And in the case of Slovakia only 13% bothered voting ffs. This appears to have been a bad election for those who support the EU.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Conservatives offer referendum WHY! Haven’t we just voted on Europe.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Judy Finnagan again!

chewkw
    Free Member

Keep bashing UKIP for another year then see how far the main parties will do in the next election. 😈

The small people don’t like your big idea in EU … go away! 😆

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Now that is a comb over!

bencooper
    Free Member

UKIP won a seat in Scotland. Thanks a lot, BBC.

chewkw
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

UKIP won a seat in Scotland. Thanks a lot, BBC.

Ya, but Scotland is going to be independent anyway so no much change really. :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Politicians from the governing and opposition parties have not been listening to the voters, this is the result. Unless something changes this will only intensify.

@ernie – the US has the right and the further right

ratherbeintobago

Good results all round for the believers in Democracy

Except the one mainstream UK party that supports a fair electoral system has been wiped out, and Twitter is full of Labour activists crowing about it.

There has been increased support for parties hostile to the EU across Europe. And in the case of Slovakia only 13% bothered voting ffs. This appears to have been a bad election for those who support the EU.

I think most people are pro free European trade if they think about it, but there’s huge dissatisfaction with the grand European project outside the pan-EU political elite.

somafunk

Voter turnout in Scotland was 33.5%, if i had my way (just as well i don’t) i’d personally go round to every single one of the 66.5% of the non voters and say to them to gtf out, if they cannot be bothered to vote (or at least spoil/mark their papers otherwise) then they have no right to live in Scotland.

It’s time to club together with a few mates and buy our own island and declare ourselves independent of the UK.

Anyone in?, there is an island just off Carrick Bay in Kirkcudbrightshire that i think we could take at low tide, we’d have to kick the sheep off first but i doubt that’d be a problem. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ernie – the US has the right and the further right

I’m not entirely sure what that’s suppose to mean but at the start of the global crises/credit crunch the US had a right-wing Republican president, they replaced him with a more left-wing president, ie, they swung to the left.

In contrast at the start of the global crises/credit crunch the UK had a right-wing Labour government, we replaced that with an even more right-wing conservative government, ie, we swung to the right.

Today we have seen a further swing to the right with UKIP topping the euro polls. A simular situation has occurred across Europe.

If you were attempting to suggest that my comment concerning “the rise of the right and nationalism in Europe, while the US swings to the left” was false, then I’m afraid that reality suggests otherwise.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Except the one mainstream UK party that supports a fair electoral system has been wiped out, and Twitter is full of Labour activists crowing about it.

I think by far the most satisfying aspect of an otherwise rather gloomy evening has been the knowledge that the LibDems have been hammered. I truly hope they never recover from this.

chewkw
    Free Member

I suggest the main stream parties keep banging on the good in EU as part of their general election campaign strategy. Be persistent by telling the voters they are wrong. 😆

ratherbeintobago

I think by far the most satisfying aspect of an otherwise rather gloomy evening has been the knowledge that the LibDems have been hammered. I truly hope they never recover from this.

On the contrary, it’s very sad. But it’s not clear whether it’s because they are the only party with a strongly pro-EU agenda at a time of increasing euroscepticism, or whether it’s a result of the coalition (I think the British public don’t necessarily understand coalition politics as it’s not something we’ve been used to; if you think what we’ve got is bad, imagine what a majority Tory government would be like…)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think the British public don’t necessarily understand coalition politics …

That’s rather arrogant. Are you a Liberal Democrat ?

….imagine what a majority Tory government would be like

I don’t need to, because there was zero possibility of that, the Tories didn’t win the general election – remember ?

The only reason they were able to form an effective government was because the LibDems helped them. There was never a possibility of the Tories forming a majority government.

Your memory might be poor but the electorate, which you so contemptuously dismiss as ‘not understanding’, obviously have a better memory. And that’s why the LibDems are now getting hammered at every election.

wiggles
    Free Member

Yay more UKIP MEP’s to claim every expense possible and not turn up to anythings and vote against the EU regardless of the actual issue being voted on…

Not to mention probably making the odd racist/sexist slurr in public now and again.

/sarcasm

irc

becoming increasingly sceptical and populist. Understandable but uncomfortable trends IMO.

UKIP, FNP, Syriza,

How will the mainstream parties react?

As the winner of a national election UKIP are a mainstream party.

irc

Yay more UKIP MEP’s to claim every expense possible and not turn up to anythings and vote against the EU regardless of the actual issue being voted on…

An anti EU party voting against more EU regulations. Who’d ha ve thought it?

atlaz
    Free Member

An anti EU party voting against more EU regulations. Who’d ha ve thought it?

that’s not what he said though, they vote against things even when it’s not about EU regulation in a negative way or just fail to get involved. Two examples:

1, EU motion to clamp down on the ivory trade
    2, Despite crowing about the state of the UK fishing industry, Farage turned up to only 1 or 2 of 40+ meetings of the European Fisheries committee of which he was a member

What UKIP actually do is claim expenses paid by UK taxpayers and don’t even represent those people according to UKIP’s own agenda. It’s unsurprising that people don’t read beyond the headlines and still vote for the people who not only drain money from the UK, but do it without any positive benefit for the UK.

So the question is, what will UKIP in the UK, the FN in France etc actually do to return power to their countries if they abstain from the process?

hora
    Free Member

If it takes a Farage wedge to ease us out. So be it.

We need high quality controlled immigration, open borders doesnt work for us.

atlaz
    Free Member

We need high quality controlled immigration, open borders doesnt work for us.

Explain. With facts rather than repeated DM-style bluster please. Extra points if you’re able to show how the same open borders causes Germany the same problems.

ratherbeintobago

I think the British public don’t necessarily understand coalition politics

Explain to me how this is arrogant for reasons other than you saying so. It strikes me that there’s a lot of moaning from the left about broken promises (and going into coalition in the first place) and from the right about the Lib Dems being obstructive, which suggests there’s a lack of understanding about the need for compromise in coalition.

You’re right that the Tories didn’t win the election outright but with no Lib Dem vote I suspect that’s what would have happened.

EWe need high quality controlled immigration, open borders doesnt work for us.

How would that work, then?

cloudnine
    Free Member

How would that work, then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Europe…’ is closed to new replies.