Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Eurocamp type holiday, within a days drive of the channel ports
  • MoreCashThanDash

Right, I’ve been tasked with sorting next year’s summer holiday.

Thinking of a Eurocamp type place, so we don’t have to take our own camping stuff over. Needs to be within easy reach of decent beaches and some touristy stuff. Needs a pool and some easy family cycling nearby.

We’ve done Normandy the last two years, so looking to go south of Britanny this time, but without losing two days holiday at either end travelling there and back.

Any suggestions welcome.

dannyh
    Free Member

Le Clarys Plage is the better of the two Eurocamp places we have done. It is in Vendee and is at the outer limit of your travel requirements, but it is a great place. Pan flat around there, so easy cycling, some touristy stuff. I would recommend the aquarium at Noirmoutier as well as the food around there as well.

We had a cracking family holiday there in 2014. The only downside of the Bay of Biscay is the ‘size’ of the weather. Because you’re dealing in oceanic weather systems, a spell of crap weather can last a fortnight.

frankconway

+1 for Vendee and Noirmoutier.
    Futuroscope at Poitiers used to be good; don’t know how good it is these days.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Bump….interested in this. We drove down to Girona in northern Spain this year and it’s a hell of a long way….

simonstevo
    Free Member

Have a look at Sunelia Interlude on Ile de Re – off the coast of La Rochelle.

We went this summer and the island is perfect for family cycling, lots of dedicated cycle paths.

The site is very good, too, with a pool and right on the beach.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks guys, a couple there to get us started.

thejesmonddingo

Where are you setting off from ?

llama

Sunelia ile de re +1

Books up quick

freeagent
    Free Member

Les Alicourts

Had two weeks here in Aug this year.
    Highly recommend and will be going back at some point.
    I know you said you wanted beaches but the lake + waterpark mean you don’t miss it.

5 hours from the channel tunnel.

shuhockey
    Free Member

http://www.le-cabellou-plage.com/en/
    Had 10 days there this summer camping in middle of summer holidays. They also have fancy tents and hut style things. Never too busy, it sticks out into the sea on a headland so beaches all-round. It’s amazing.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Gits….wasn’t even thinking of hols before reading this. Want to be there now…..!

woody2000

http://www.lagrandemetairie.com/en/

Recommended on a thread last year, we had a grand 2 weeks here this year, booked through canvas holidays. Ticks all the boxes 🙂

keithw7
    Free Member

We stayed at the bottom end of Lac Annecy this year with Canvas Holidays. Like Eurocamp, but cheaper. Site has a pool, plus very close to the beaches on the lake. Cycle path to Annecy/Albertville close by, with the option of more challenging riding if you want it. Great mix of ‘beach’ and mountains. It was 30C+ every day in late July. Ok, it’s a long day drive from the ferrys, but doable in a day easy.

backinireland
    Free Member

Grande Metairie good
    We’ve went siblu last few times, cheaper than eurocamp
    http://www.siblu.com/france/brittany/domaine_de_kerlann.php
    And here

http://www.siblu.com/france/loire_valley/domaine_de_dugny.php

lyrikal
    Free Member

Grande metairie is a great campsite with loads for the kids , and plenty of wee easy trails (roads/paths on a map) around it to keep the family busy. Plus a handy strava segment on the road outside it if you fancy stealing a KOM.

Brittany is very different from Normandy, probably more relaxing if you like beach holidays. There isn’t as many tourist things but maybe I’m biased cos I love the war sights.

hammyuk
    Free Member

PGL and others have several places in the Ardenne/Ardeche areas france/spain border.
    A days drive but there is more to do there than you’ll ever have time for in a holiday!
    Take your pick – climbing, cycling, canyoneering, kayaking, etc, etc, etc

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The Jungle… will be plenty of space by next summer.

dogthomson

I can heartily recommend Domaine du Château de Drancourt near St. Vallery-sur-Somme.

Nice and cheap if you avoid French school holidays, has 3 nice pools on site with nice quiet roads nearby for a pootle by bike.

IdleJon

I can heartily recommend Domaine du Château de Drancourt near St. Vallery-sur-Somme.

Nice and cheap if you avoid French school holidays, has 3 nice pools on site with nice quiet roads nearby for a pootle by bike.

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed a week in May there, last year. The riding isn’t very interesting but depends what you’re looking for.

It’s a quiet, smallish campsite with little entertainment. (Which suits my family.) It’s close to the Somme, Amiens, an hour from Calais, an hour from Boulogne which has a great aquarium. I rode out to the battlefield at Crecy, through the forest. St Valery housed Joan of Arc and has some great places selling moules frites and is very pretty. Recommended!

Oh and it cost less than £500 for 5 of us, including ferry crossing and EU breakdwon cover.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Eurocamp type holiday, within a days drive of the channel ports’ is closed to new replies.