Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Euro road trip – overnight stop suggestions
  • bowglie

Just wondered if anyone has recommendations for stop over places in Southern Germany(ish) area.

We’re stopping over at Reims in France, and our final destination is the Dolomites. Rather than a long day driving, we fancied breaking the journey about halfway, and maybe having an overnight in southern Germany (not bothered about using the bikes when we get there, but wouldn’t mind somewhere hilly/picturesque – y’know, go for a walk, stretch our legs out & get some air etc.) I found somewhere that looks promising, but it takes us off route a fair bit – and looks a ‘mare to get back on motorway network.

Any sensible suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

TIA

dknwhy

Lake Titisee?

Edit: if your route is more east, Garmisch Partenkircken could be good. Nice town to look around and you could go up Zugspitze.

hot_fiat

Speyer(the hotel domhof has a brewery attached!) or Boppard on the rhein?

Munich – we often stay in the holiday inn, Unterhaching on our way out to the alps. There’s a good restaurant on-site & it’s only a shot blast from there down to the mountains.

Which way are you going? The A8 between Stuttgart (also a good place to stay) and Munich is completely 4ked at present: they’ve been spending the last 18 months widening it so there are 20km stretches of contraflow. Hopefully it’s expected to finish sometime in the autumn.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andytherocketeer

depends on time of day and day of week imho (and time of year)

stopping before Austria border, with an onward start on a Saturday morning is potentially asking for probelms.

A8 near Ulm has been no issue whatsoever for me at 8pm on a Friday, but make that 9am on a Saturday and you might be making good use of 1st gear.

I’d aim for Innsbruck, and do 2 hours the next morning. That’s exactly what I do when skiing there (I’m driving from Frankfurt – takes about 6 hours leaving after work). Similar if I drive to Ljubljana, where I’d stop over near Salzburg. No way will I stop at Munich, which is about half way.

bowglie

Thanks for the info and suggestions – I’ll check them out. From what I can interpret from my wife’s sign language on the calendar, we’ll be stopping over in Reims on a Friday night in June, then the German/Austria overnight on the Saturday night – arrive in Dolomites on Sunday.

The original plan was to use the A8 between Stuttgart & Munich, so thanks for the info regarding that route!

Forgot to say that, ideally, we like to find somewhere with secure underground parking if poss. (bikes will be in back of estate car, and we’ve previously had bikes pinched out of the back of our other car, so are a bit hyper about it now).

hot_fiat

It wasn’t much fun at 11am on a Friday a few weeks ago. Yeah, the motorway South from Munich is hilarious on a Saturday morning. We’ve taken to going over the Achensee pass instead. Probably takes as long, but the scenery’s far better.

andytherocketeer

I tend to stay in Ibis, when in Innsbruck (or Bregenz, or Munich). not the cheapest, and parking is pricey, but it is underground.

Bregenz a handy choice if you’re not in a hurry, and it’s summer (ie the journey down is part of the holiday, not just autobahn mile munching). Fractionally longer drive, costs a tenner extra in tolls (each way), skips Munich and most of the issues that go with it.

ElVino

Interested why you picked Reims for a stop over. I have done a similar drive (as a passenger) and we went via Luxembourg to fill up with cheap fuel and then through Germany to avail of higher or non existent speed limits and avoid the french toll roads.

bowglie

I can appreciate what’s been said about the motorways around Munich, as we had a nightmare journey northbound heading to Munich airport a couple of years ago (…on a Sat morning!) Bregenz and Lake Titesee look interesting alternatives. I think my wife mentioned something about Freiburg – but I wasn’t 100% tuned in at the time;)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Selled
    Free Member

Depends on budget. Just in Austria theKramsacherhof in Kramsach is good, a bit cheaper is the Sonnenhof in Radfeld. If you do want a quick ride then give me a shout!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you’re already staying on the French side (Reims), then I’d strongly suggest doing the remaining journey in one go.
    We do the trip down to Dolomites/Garda fairly often either for biking or skiing and usually do it in one go from Rotterdam.

As other have said, you don’t want to be on the roads near Munich/Inntal on a Saturday.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Euro road trip – overnight stop suggestions’ is closed to new replies.