• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Euro Mobile Provider
  • Caher

I will increasingly be travelling to Europe on a longer term basis and was wondering if there is any mobile provider that caters for europe as well as the UK.
    At the moment i am with Virgin but their Sim only deal seems to cater really for the UK only, with quite high data and call chargers when you use it in Europe – any good deals out there?

robdixon
    Free Member

Three do a “feel at home” thing in quite a few countries now with more due to be added by the end of the year. You can basically use your standard minutes / texts and data for no charge when abroad in those countries – and further afield even streaming Spotify in the USA and Australia is free.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/phones/feel_at_home

ambientcoast
    Free Member

How about Three? You can use your phone across Europe at no extra charge – ie, minutes and data come out of your normal allowance.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3main_hp_rbn1652

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Ha – sos – cross posted!

grantway
    Free Member

Where in Europe are you to be travelling to our through ?

Caher

I’ll mainly be travelling to Belgium.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Caher – officially the Three deal is for holiday use, ie a couple of months/times a year. They do say in the small print int’s not meant for business. I travel to France regularly so it will be interesting to see what they do about a couple of days useage every month. Your other solution is to get yourself a Belgian sim card (and/or a cheap phone), swap them over when you travel and then use email/imessaging as primary communication tool plus let people know you have two numbers. My gf is currently using a three mobile wifi dongle, so phone calls come into her phone (she pays but not so much) email/data is via the dongle and if she needs to call out she can use Skype credit which is cheap.

crazybrab
    Free Member

Vodafone Eurotraveller. £3/day to use your UK minutes, texts and data in Europe.

Fishtext for SMSoIP (with caller ID) to sms non UK numbers. usually 1-3p/sms.

Dial123.co.uk to re-route European numbers via a UK geographic number which then use your included minutes from your UK allowance.
    Assuming you have many minutes in your bundle and pay the £3/day with Vodafone for the Eurotraveller, then as an example, you could call a Czech mobile for 2p/min from anywhere in Europe.

leffeboy

Dual SIM phone and Belgian prepaid SIM? It used to be a pain when you have to also pay for incoming calls but those charges have been scrapped since July as far as I know. There are other solutions such as Vodaphone passport but I found they tended to rack up costs quite quickly :(. Still no perfect solution though although it is getting better all the time as the European Commission do seem to be pushing hard to remove roaming charges (edit:current target date is Dec 2015 so that isn’t going to help you much 🙁 )

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I assume you have some kind of contract, eg sim only on a 12m deal. You definitely want a contract as month/month sim only tend to have very high roaming charges. The other thing you can get cute on is finding free wifi when aboard.

That Vodafone deal looks expensive versus Three where its free.

iolo
    Free Member

As said previously, get a local sim card. It will be much cheaper.
    I have a rolling contract with Bob in Austria which costs 13 Euro a month for 2GB data, 500 texts and 250 minutes cross network calls.
    I’m sure there will be a Belgian equivalent.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Euro Mobile Provider’ is closed to new replies.