• This topic has 553 replies, 102 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by loum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 554 total)
  • EURO 2012 **SPOILERS**
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Not a whisper of a thread yet, so I’ll start the ball rolling and see if this dies on its arse!!
    I know there’s plenty of football haters on here, but there’s also a few who are genuinely interested.
    So who’s gonna win, do well, surprise or just royally fail!!
    Personally I can see the Germans doing very well, and if messrs van Persie and Robben step up, the Dutch will be in with a big shout!!

trailmonkey

fancy holland myself, france as dark horses.

england will do well to get out of the group.

PrinceJohn

I think it’s between the Spanish, dutch & Germans.

Not any where near as excited as I usually am about these things, not sure why….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

As a cheeky bet I might have Spain and England as a double to not make it out of their groups!!!

Pook

not a hater as such, more apathetic really – but I think football seems to be dropping in popularity somewhat.

I think the performance at the world cup – where everyone was questioning our players’ motivation what with country v. cash – opened an interesting seam of cynicism in the previously supportive public.

Coyote
    Free Member

Agree with you there pook. Don’t forget the previous Euros where the England team couldn’t even be bothered to qualify. I think I’d have had more interest if we had a young, passionate manager who was given free reign to pick his own squad, ideally all under 25. But no. We have the same tired old faces who have failed time and time again at the highest level.

I’ll probably watch a few matches but certainly won’t be supporting England with the zeal I have previously.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Green Machine :mrgreen:

And anybody that plays France.

Garry_Lager

Glass half-full scenario for England is that they do a Greece – defensively they’re good and they have some pace, so nicking a few 1-0s is not beyond the realms of possibility. Getting out of the group would given them a lot of confidence. Football will be dire though – guaranteed to bore the arse off the nation. OTOH it could be lose draw draw and back home before the postcards.

Optimistically, I think they will make the q/fs.

Jamie
    Free Member

Germany to win.

Dutch will implode as usual.

England’s brave lions will be robbed at some point 😉

trailmonkey

We have the same tired old faces who have failed time and time again at the highest level.

are you looking at a different squad sheet to the one that i’ve seen ? there are only 4 players there that have played in more than one tournament, of those cole has always played well and at least rooney was effective in 2004 but i agree that he’s been crap at the world cups.

i think that hodgson has made some strange choices though, only one left footer in the whole midfield doesn’t spell ball retention to me especially when you can’t see him being a starter. when you need options to keep hold of the ball why limit 2 of your midfielders by always needing to check inside ? still, i do trust hodgson tactically, he’s not on the fifa advisory panel for nothing so it must make sense to him.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So the ko is here, dogged by racism already before a match has started!! Anyhow I’m going for both home teams losing tonight just to brighten the already tense atmosphere!!

soobalias
    Free Member

England squad is the freshest i can remember*, i dont care if we fall on our arses, as long as they look like they give it their best.

today:

Poland 2 – Greece 0
    Russia 1 – Czech R 3

*the squad, the racism, the bitchin has been done to death. Grab a beer and enjoy the game.

binners

I think its great we’re going in with zero expectation. Its got to be liberating from the players.

Everyone’s saying Spain or Germany, but I’m thinking of having a punt on Russia as being a surprise package, and possibly doing a Greece and surprising everyone. They’re in an ok group and once you’re out of there, its anyone’s after that.

I’m really looking forward to watching some quality football. ie: Germany and Spain, and a few other likely candidates

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup, I watched the panorama doc and have read the papers, there’s most definitely going to be some trouble!! Hopefully the players will rise above all that shite and it’ll be a good tournament! C’mon engerland!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Not any where near as excited as I usually am about these things, not sure why”

+1 … but I know why… England are rubbish, just cannot see where the goals will come from.

Russia are my tip for a place in the last four… together with Spain Germany and France.

loddrik
    Free Member

Fingers crossed England lose every game and no Liverpool players get injured.

Will be cheering for Ireland, as will most scousers.

Would be happy for Spain Holland or Germany to win, don’t want France or Italy to win.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am normally a huge football fan and count down days to major tournaments but I really can’t get excited about this one.

And I am disappointed I feel this way.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

MF

May I suggest picking a fantasy football team.

It’s helped me at least look at the other teams and will add something to watching the games

MSP

There was a lot of negativity and pessimism about the world cup in SA before the event, I half expected every travelling fan to be murdered in a car jacking incident. But it was actually a pretty good tournament (apart from England and those very very annoying plastic trumpets).

I am hoping that this one will turn out the same, and if there is any racism it is dealt with appropriately and doesn’t spoil the football, I think that Poland and Ukraine know the world is watching and will show that they can deal with any incidents.

Although UEFA and FIFA have always turned a blind eye to the racism in Italian stadia.

brakes
    Free Member

will show that they can deal with any incidents.

or just deny that they happened if the Panorama doc was anything to go by.

I’m predicting a Netherlands vs. Germany epic final with Germany edging it.
    Will be keeping a sneaky eye on Russia though.
    England to play surprisingly well but fail at the QF stage.

tails
    Free Member

We did beat Spain 1 nil and whilst that may have been 80 mins of defending, we certainly have a good shout at getting out the group, although we have not looked good in the warm up games. I’ll go for a Spain Italy final with ineista winning the game 1 nil.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

No idea at all really. I expect the Germans to be strong (sweeping generalisation based on past performances) although the defeat last week may well have surprised them a bit. Spain no doubt will also be strong. France have had very indifferent tournments recently so not sure they will do partiularly well, but should escape the group. The Dutch, on paper, should have done very well in the past few tournaments but have somehow managed to implode and under achieve. I expect that there will also be a surrise package in the tournament who will surprise everyone and do really well. Unfortunately I do not expect that surprise package to be England. Like others have commented I feel rather pessimistic about England. Probably because we seem to have a rather strange collection of individuals and the last two performances while being wins were very frustrating to watch. Hope we escape the group but wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t. And I do hope that somehow Roy manages to start fashioning a good England side. He has done very well with a number of clubs he has been at although seemed to come unstuck a little at Liverpool. Who knows what really went on there but it did come across as a bit of an aberration. Maybe he only really works well with less stellar squads – in which case, his England career may not go very well.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I’m not so hopeful about England’s chances.

At least tomorrow here in Brazil there is Brazil vs Argentina (a friendly) and everyone is looking forward to the Neymar vs Messi aspect. Neymar is on fire at Santos, and also there will be Santos vs Corinthians in the South American cup too to watch during the Euros.

But hey! Beckham will be at the Olympics for team GB 😀

timc
    Free Member

Germany / Spain / Holland (in That Order) for me. Italy are my dark horse, going very well at the moment.

Todays Predictions

Poland 2-0 Greece
    Russia 1-1 Czech Republic

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They did something yesterday on 5Live doing the groups according to economies. The green machine qualified 1st in their group, the “group of debt” 😆 as they no doubt will when it comes to football. :mrgreen:

Oh and come on England vs Les Cheats.

tails
    Free Member

The Dutch, on paper, should have done very well in the past few tournaments but have somehow managed to implode and under achieve.

If reaching the world cup final is classed as under achieving! 😆

trailmonkey

just to alienate dd, i’ve put a cheeky £10 on France to win the title at 10-1. good value that imho.

i was tempted by a france to win / torres top scorer £10 double – £2200 but decided against it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nah, not alienated at all tm. If I was a gambling man I’d probably put a few quid on the cheats too – no point letting emotion affect one’s gambling decisions. Tbh, there’s no way they’ll deliver the sort of delightful fiasco they did in the WC – possibly ever.

trailmonkey

no one could be that bad twice

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Slightly worried for green machine though after disappointing result in Hungary. Apparently they were played off the park in the first half. But no Olic for Croatia is good news. :mrgreen:

soobalias
    Free Member

if england and france manage a repeat of their world cup form, terrestrial tv will stop showing the football sometime after half five on monday.

trailmonkey

Slightly worried for green machine though after disappointing result in Hungary

i wouldn’t worry, usually excellent in tournament football

binners

Just had a punt on Russia at to win it at 20-1. Therefore cursing them to lose tonight and not making it out of the group. I’d just like to apologise personally to all Russian football fans

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What time’s kick off?

I’m going to sit on the fence and say Chermany or the Holland to win.

Podolski or RVP leading scorer

Mario Gotze or RVP player of the tournament.

timc
    Free Member

Is Gotze even gaurenteed a start?

Blackhound

Ireland tough to beat, 14 games undefeated must provide confidence going in. And I think undefeated in 3 against Italy.

Bikingcatastrophe said:
    Maybe he only really works well with less stellar squads – in which case, his England career may not go very well.

Have to disagree, England are far from ‘stellar’ – Roy could do well with this average lot.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

He’s been used sparingly since coming back from injury but I feel he’ll become un-droppable.

santacoops
    Free Member

France and England in the final with France to win!

Todays Predictions

Poland 1-0 Greece
    Russia 2-1 Czech Republic

soobalias
    Free Member

with kick off a shade under two hours away, its time to text home and get a couple of largers in the fridge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘EURO 2012 **SPOILERS**’ is closed to new replies.