Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Eureka or Magna?
  • dawson

Thinking of trying either Eureka or Magna for a day out with the kids.

Anyone been? Is one better than t’other?

thejesmonddingo

Depends on ages,Eureka better for littler ones,Magna for bigger ones,according to my lot.

midlifecrashes

If it’s a cold day, avoid Magna. Neither a patch on the National Coal Mining museum at Wakefield or the YSP, we may have just got interactive museum fatigue though.

dawson

Ta folks, will bear that in mind.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not done magna but disappointed with eureka. If you do go there take your own food – recently paid £6 for a chicken sandwich and £5 for a baked potato with cheese and beans .

rockhopper70

magna..no brainer for my kids 10 8 4

go to eureka if you want to read plaques with really small typing on about how the tongue works and if you don’t want many of the exhibits to work….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Btw after a recent visit to eureka I wrote to express my disappointment. Got one dismissive response then they didn’t reply to my follow-up. Clearly don’t give a **** for their customers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Eureka is crap and I live 15 minutes walk from it and have a free years pass – still won’t go.

totalshell

Eureka is crap. loads of plaques saying museum of the year 1910 etc but withered and died since then wont spend the money again and we too only live 10 mile away..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

That said, I’ve heard Magna isn’t much better.

Just drive to York and go to the railway museum instead.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and have a free years pass

Everyone gets one now – pay admission once and get in free for a year.

Clearly they make their money from the £6 chicken sandwiches…

The best attraction in the area (for value for money) is Cannon Hall Farm but it depends on the age of the children as it is essentially a petting farm but with some pretty impressive adventure playgrounds for all ages. And an amazing cafe serving proper homemade food at very reasonable prices – somethign like £5 for a full meal of farm-bred beef with potaoes, puddings and all the trimmings.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thought that offer expired in December m_f? Either way, its still not worth it even for free.

dawson

We went to Magna yesterday, kids particularly enjoyed the Water and Air sections, but the Fire tornado was pretty mental too.

@midlifecrashes – I see what you mean about avoiding it if its cold!

Thanks to the others about your points about Eureka – we were thinking about trying there for our next day out

dawson

They were offering a free year pass for Magna too, but because we used Tesco vouchers we weren’t eligible to get it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Thought that offer expired in December m_f? Either way, its still not worth it even for free.

No it is year round now I believe. We went in April and got the pass then.

SD-253
    Free Member

Eureka? Magna? What/where are they? The only Eureka I know is a town on the West coast of US??

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Eureka in Halifax and ditto the previous comments.
    Magna in Rotherham/Sheffield, nearly went there yesterday but will try it, supposed to be very good indeed

rockhopper70

or try MOSI in Manchester…very very good and free entry.
    Mine love there too.

surfdad
    Free Member

Took my 4.5 y.o. daughter to magna last summer at the suggestion of the grandparents. All was well until we walked round the corner from the lobby into what I can only describe as the gates of hell … huge projections of blast furnaces, deafening crashes and bangs, all in the biggest empty space I’ve ever seen. My little one leapt from a standing start to grab me round the neck, I’ve never seen anything like it!
    Once we’d made it past the initial shock she enjoyed it, particularly the water and electricity bit. Might think twice about going again though!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Eureka or Magna?’ is closed to new replies.