Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Eucalyptus wood
  • bubs

I have just heavily pollarded (hacked) the eucalyptus in my garden. I now have loads of forearm thick branches to be disposed of. Is it worth my efforts to tidy and chop these for the burner? Is eucalyptus wood ok to burn in a stove?

On a secondary note, the dog has consumed a fair amount of green eucalyptus bark (it seemed to be like doggie cat nip to him). Apart from him finding it easier to breath, being more attractive to sex pest Koalas and more likely to go “woof” if close to a naked flame, is this likely to have done him some harm?

bubs

Just googled this

Eucalyptus
    Homeowners enjoy filling their home with the scent of eucalyptus branches, however it is also toxic to dogs. The eucalyptus oil causes depression, diarrhea, excessive drooling, lethargy and vomiting.

Oh joy…..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I would imagine if you dry them out next to your burner you should get a good smell and then again when you burn it.

Re the dogbreath – IANAV so go find one!

wwaswas

Oh joy…..

ah, might be worth calling the vets 🙁

damion
    Free Member

WRT to the OP split it while its green and its a joy to split. Leave it and dont bother. Burns brilliantly.

Poor pooch 🙁

spchantler
    Free Member

burns great when properly seasoned

antigee

burns great when properly seasoned

and burns great in the bush fire season ready or not

more than 700 different types 😛

pingu66
    Free Member

Ring your vet and get advice. I had a similar experience when mine ate water hyacinth bulbs.

The vet wasn’t sure so they called some animal poisons team and got straight back to me. In the meantime keep a close eye on pooch even if its not poisonous it may disagree with him.

Any ill effects straight to the vets.

luket

“Split it when it’s green” +1

I split some by hand in the first couple of weeks after cutting down. Then a few weeks later the next lot defeated a tractor splitter. Resorted to chainsaw.

That was spring 2014 (and a bigger tree). I think it’ll be dry enough to burn this winter. Dense stuff.

wombat

Don’t go calling me a Calyptus Wood 😉

djambo
    Free Member

split it while its green

+2 I scavanged a load of big rings last spring. tried splitting them in late summer with my dads hydrallic splitter. the gum had set rock hard…on the look out for a chain saw now!

daftvader
    Free Member

I had some off a friend and it checked so badly that after a year a good hard look at it would split it…

konabunny
    Free Member

wouldn’t it be very gummy/sticky and create residue on flue etc?

John_Key
    Free Member

Blue gum (Eucalyptus) is a popular hot burning firewood in Australia and New Zealand. Goes very well on the log burner, but it needs a year or so to dry out and season!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Eucalyptus wood’ is closed to new replies.