Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Eubank jnr v Blackwell anyone watch?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

DezB – Member

edit: Now I want to watch it …
    Nothing wrong with that – it was a good fight. Although, find any of the Gatti-Ward fights for properly fantastic, closely matched fights. [/quote]

I did not know it was on as I was watching some very very slow drama … so so slow … argghhh … 🙁

mooman
    Free Member

Jam-Jam – those links are to do with soccer

There are doctors against boxing – there are doctors for boxing.
    Its just a case of who you want to believe I guess.

jimjam
    Free Member

mooman

Jam-Jam – those links are to do with soccer …

That’s my point.

mooman
    There are doctors against boxing – there are doctors for boxing.
    Its just a case of who you want to believe I guess.

I’d have a hard time believing the doctor who told me getting punched in the head was good for my brain. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think boxing should be banned, as long as there are men and money there will be fighting, but honestly it’s the sport of competitive head trauma.

mooman
    Free Member

Hmmm .. ok

I take it that you couldnt find any evidence to back up your statement thatall boxers sustain brain injuries`.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

mooman all head hits have ability to cause brain injury, headers in football kill brain cells that can not be rebuilt, replenished. Not all boxers have brain damage but all sustain brain injuries – as I do when I keep bashing my head on the overhang of my roofrack!!!. The difference is the extent…. loss cells OR brain damage and all brain injuries inbetween.

DezB
    Free Member

Talk of making boxing illegal is just as pointless as it always has been – drive it underground and how safe will it be then?

jimjam
    Free Member

mooman

Hmmm .. ok

I take it that you couldnt find any evidence to back up your statement thatall boxers sustain brain injuries`.

I didn’t bother to. If something as innocuous as heading a football causes traumatic brain injury what do you think getting punched in the head repeatedly does? It’s absurd to argue.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

DezB – agree. And I believe Blackwell has no amateur career and fought unlicensed bouts as a youngster!!

konabunny
    Free Member

And in the same vein – if enough people all walk to their local shop. Then sooner or later one of them will trip over the kerb and seriously hurt themselves.
    Accidents happen unfortunately.

A shopper tripping on a kerb is an accident. A mountain biker falling off their bike is an accident. A boxer being punched in the head is the purpose of a boxing match.

Accidents do happen – but some are more likely to lead to injury than others, and some are a risk worth taking.

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s a suggestion then konabunny – don’t box.

sadexpunk

headers in football kill brain cells that can not be rebuilt, replenished.

yep, i think we’d all agree theres plenty of proof of that….

BillMC

Someone in the industry told me they scan boxers at the beginning and end of their careers and they can tell how many fights they have had, irrespective of whether they were winners or losers. Bulls, incidentally, can get let off, it depends how they fight and how many hankies appear. They then get put out to stud.

mooman
    Free Member

Everytime you sneeze you lose brain cells. It’s a normal process.

Those who know very little about boxing are always the first to get all hysterical when an accident in the sport occurs.

Yes – there are risks. Just as other risks exist in other sports too.

Konnabuny – a boxer getting punched in the head is not an accident. Him suffering brain damage is though.
    Billmc – boxers have an annual brain scan, and any irregularities shown, the boxer gets retired.

konabunny
    Free Member

always the first to get all hysterical

Who’s hysterical?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Some who know alot about boxing are the first to get vocal, not hysterical, about boxing when brain injuries occur. That is because the risks are higher and board of controls can never rest on its safety procedures AND must strive for constant improvements.

136stu
    Free Member

[Konnabuny – a boxer getting punched in the head is not an accident. Him suffering brain damage is though.]

Neither are an accident. Getting punched in the head is a hazard of the job, getting brain damage is a risk.

BoardinBob

posiwev – Member
    I watched the fight and from what I saw I don’t think senior was thinking of Blackwell’s health at all, he was surprised he was still standing…!

teamhurtmore – Member

Agreed

Actual verbatim quote from Eubank Sr on Saturday night

“I don’t know what to tell you but I will tell you this… If he doesn’t stop it and you keep on beating him like this… he’s going to get hurt.

Clearly he was highlighting the ref should have stopped it already, and if he didn’t stop it and the fight continued in the same manner, then Blackwell was in danger. Hence stop head hunting and go for the body.

jimjam
    Free Member

mooman
    Billmc – boxers have an annual brain scan, and any irregularities shown, the boxer gets retired.

That’s funny, my nephew’s never had a brain scan. None of his club mates have had one either.

BoardinBob

jimjam – Member
    mooman
    That’s funny, my nephew’s never had a brain scan. None of his club mates have had one either.

I guess it depends on what level he’s fighting at, but if it’s a BBBoC sanctioned event then all fighters should be getting scans. It’s been in place for a long time now

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing-brain-scans-for-boxers-1275357.html

http://bbbofc.com/content/boxing-facts

MRI/MRA brain scans are now compulsory for all boxers upon application for a boxers licence and annual MRI scans for all boxers licensed in Britain upon renewal of licence.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Clearly he was highlighting the ref should have stopped it already, and if he didn’t stop it and the fight continued in the same manner, then Blackwell was in danger. Hence stop head hunting and go for the body.

Is one interpretation and bravo for its positive flavour…

jimjam
    Free Member

BoardinBob

I guess it depends on what level he’s fighting at, but if it’s a BBBoC sanctioned event then all fighters should be getting scans. It’s been in place for a long time now

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing-brain-scans-for-boxers-1275357.html

http://bbbofc.com/content/boxing-facts

He’s 12. So not a professional and therefore not subject to brain scans.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Eubank jnr v Blackwell anyone watch?’ is closed to new replies.