Viewing 40 posts - 38,801 through 38,840 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll move on to outright lies next week. Do try to fit in 😉

Or perhaps some charm

Well done cinnamon girl.

Nice 😯

kelvin

no deal means WTO (a massive killer for them economically, truely catestrophic)

Less than 15% of Ireland’s exports are to the UK.

Yes, it will be the worst hit of all the rEU countries if no deal can be reached.

More than 40% of the UK’s exports are to the rEU.

Then add all the countries that we currently have trade deals with…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ireland exported €101.8bn in services in 2014 and €18bn
    (18%) of these exports went to the United Kingdom.
    Imports of services amounted to €109.4bn in 2014 and
    €11.4bn (10%) of these imports were from the UK.
    In 2015 Ireland exported €112.4bn of goods and
    €15.6bn (13.9%) of these goods went to the UK. The
    top 5 categories of goods exported to the UK in 2015
    were: Meat & meat preparations (€1.9bn), Medical &
    pharmaceutical products (€1.5bn), Organic chemicals
    (€1.0bn), Essential oils, perfume materials; toilet &
    cleansing preps (€0.8bn) and Dairy products & birds’
    eggs (€0.8bn).
    Imports of goods amounted to €70.1bn in 2015 and
    €18bn (25.7%) of these imported goods arrived from the
    UK. The top 5 categories of goods imported from the UK
    in 2015 were: Petroleum, petroleum products & related
    materials (€1.9bn), Gas, natural & manufactured (€1.1bn),
    Miscellaneous manufactured articles n.e.s. (€1.1bn),
    Essential oils, perfume materials; toilet & cleansing preps
    (€0.8bn) and All other commodities and transactions
    (€0.7bn).

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/statisticalpublications/Brexit.pdf

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mike – I took no notice of ‘project fear’ nor the emblazoned NHS bus but I do recollect hazily the UK joining the EEC as it was then called. It seemed a brilliant idea and did work well but it eventually became something it was not supposed to be. This is why so many voted for Brexit.

@cg Perfect summary of why my parents, lifelong Labour voters and who voted Yes 40 years ago voted Leave last year. Common Market to European Union.

binners

I’m going to release a joint statement on behalf of myself, Jammers and Hurty in the morning towards the EU, clearly stating our agreed position, and principles on this thread, going forward

I won’t bother running it pastthem. I’m sure it’ll all be fine 🙂

Cougar

I’m just going to leave this here.

If you’re in favour of leaving, this is a small example of soundbites from people who agree with you.

https://www.byline.com/column/67/article/1966

Cougar

Perfect summary of why my parents, lifelong Labour voters and who voted Yes 40 years ago voted Leave last year. Common Market to European Union.

Yeah, unions are bad and evil, it’s shit when people work together. What next, dogs and cats living together?

You do realise, don’t you, that our own MEPs have been a driving force in shaping the EU for years? You know how many laws we’ve voted on in the EU that haven’t gone our way? None, zero, zip, nada, hasn’t happened.

And you want to walk away and leave them to their own devices. If the EU is as corrupt / dangerous / undemocratic / whatever as the leavers claim it is, that very point alone should scare you shitless. This big scary monster of an organisation right on our doorstep, and you want *less* control over it? Anyone who genuinely thinks that must be absolutely barking. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer; you can’t “take back control” by actually relinquishing control.

mattyfez

So Oooh, do we think we can tell?

Heaven from hell?

Blue skies from rain?

pondo

teamhurtmore –
    Thanks. I’ll move on to outright lies next week. Do try to fit in

I don’t think you will. But whilst I appreciate you’ve had a hard tome of it on this thread, I’m over your sneery, condescending alternative to engaging in debate.

jambalaya
    @cg Perfect summary of why my parents, lifelong Labour voters and who voted Yes 40 years ago voted Leave last year.

Do your parents question whether we’re heading in the right direction, as CG does?

perditus
    Free Member

If you’re in favour of leaving, this is a small example of soundbites from people who agree with you.

Charming enough for you THM.

ninfan
    Free Member

Less than 15% of Ireland’s exports are to the UK.

What proportion go through it?

tjagain

How very true. Given that none of the doomsday predictions have occurred, the wise have time to reveal themselves

Actually all the doomsday predictions seem to be coming true to anyone with more than one eye/

The fall off in EU nurses – predicted and happened. The impossibility of having your cake and eating it – now evident to all. etc etc

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not sure what social circles a lot of folks spin in on STW, mine varies from forklift truck drivers to a few multi millionaires.

At the more hands on end of the scale I have had some very depressing conversations in as much that i did not understand how little a lot of people understand about very basic economics. I jave mentioned before my mate Bob (rampant Brexiteer) moaning about the cost of diesel and as i pointed out the fall in the £ hasnt helped – his response was what the **** has that got to do with the cost of diesel… there are lots of Bob’s.

aracer
    Free Member

So, you’re saying that it’s a lie, or it isn’t a lie?
    I mean, you know, if you can5 say that someone was lying by posting material which was proven to be deliberate misrepresentation of what leave campaigners said about single market membership, then you can’t accuse me of lying for posting up material that is technically true but potentially deliberately misleading without further explanation[/quote]

Sorry, digging back into this one, I can’t resist.

It’s a lie. Report me for that if you want, but I think you’ll find I know which side of the line to tread on that particular issue and I’m simply making a factual statement – people are free to deduce what they like about your character from that. No, it’s not even technically true, because we never did send £350m a week, which is the claim you made, not even technically.

Cougar

The fall off in EU nurses – predicted and happened. The impossibility of having your cake and eating it – now evident to all. etc etc

The pound tanking, tick. The only reason it didn’t tank harder was because Mark Carney started printing money.

Corporations leaving for overseas, tick.

What’s happening with the EMA? Oh, wait. Euratom, anyone?

And we haven’t ****ing left yet you bloody madman. These were predictions. Warnings of what could happen. PROJECT FEAR!!1! But it’s ok, we can sell jam.

mattyfez

Stranger things have happened at sea.

Cats and dogs do enjoy play together as it turns out.

Best buddies:

pondo

I’m just going to leave this here.

https://www.byline.com/column/67/article/1966
    Bit dusty in here. And not in a good way.

Cougar

So, you’re saying that it’s a lie, or it isn’t a lie?

Thanks Aracer, I missed that.

It’s a lie. I’m sorry if it wasn’t clear when I said “it’s not true,” I kind of hoped that these two phrases were broadly synonymous but evidently not.

If I bought something in a sale that was £150 reduced from £350, then when a mate asked “that’s cool, how much was it?” and I replied “£350,” I’d be lying. Agreed?

We do not, and never have, sent £350m/week to the EU. It’s simply not true. It’s a lie. Trousers combusting, Pinocchio with a hard-on.

And Leave has admitted that without that lie they’d probably have lost the referendum.

Makes you think. Or at least, it bloody well should do.

mefty
    Free Member

The official UK governments are here

NI sales to with rest of UK 4 x that of sales with Ireland, quoting these figures is often misleading because most economies trade most with themselves (66% of total in case of NI), so you are only looking at 34% of which the rest of the UK accounts for more than half.

ninfan
    Free Member

it’s not even technically true, because we never did send £350m a week, which is the claim you made, not even technically.

Then why is it called “Total Debits” in the UK official accounts 😆

Credits/Debits
    In/Out

Not too hard is it?

kelvin

What proportion go through it?

A very good point. Most of its road haulage carried exports I suspect.
    A big shift to sea haulage will be required … slow…

Ireland would be the worst hit of the rEU counties in the result of no deal, as I said.

What proportion of our nonEU trade goes through the EU?
    I suppose that will result in shifting transportation patterns as well.

I just can’t picture Jamba’s idea of how the UK falling back to WTO rules (negotiated when we are at our most desperate) will be catastrophic for Ireland, but his preferred course of action for us the UK.

kelvin

Not too hard is it?

Net/Gross.

Not too hard, is it?

kimbers

been out for a night ride

check news-

Tory incompetence still making the UK look like a global laughing stock over brexishambles

time for bed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not too hard is it?

Nope most people have got it fine….

ninfan
    Free Member

Net/Gross.

The official government statistics didn’t list it that way though did they? They officially confirmed it as a credit/debit transaction.

you are upset because the leave campaign used the officially published transactions

its hilarious

mefty
    Free Member

And Leave have admitted that without that lie they’d probably have lost the referendum.

And yet you are doing the same, what they actually said was they deliberately used a controversial number because they knew that it would be attacked by the Remain side and that would keep the coverage on an area that was a strength for them. If they had put £200 million on the side of the bus, I can’t imagine there are many people who would have said only £200 million, oh well in that case I will vote remain. However it would have significantly effected the coverage. That is why it was important to them.

GrahamS

Not too hard is it?

That being the case presumably you’d have absolutely no issue with people claiming that migration isn’t an issue because folk are leaving the U.K. at a rate of 342,000 a year?

kelvin

As regards whether I’m still in favour, I look at the Tories and think God help us all

When you voted for a referendum called by a Conservative government, who did you think would be “in charge” of the UK leaving the EU?

Cougar

what they actually said was they deliberately used a controversial number lied because they knew that it would be attacked by the Remain side and that would keep the coverage on an area that was a strength for them.

FTFY.

That’s aside from the fact that Farage admitted on national TV the day after the referendum that giving it to the NHS instead was a lie.

kelvin

That is why it was important to them.

Agreed. Bullshit sticks harder when the heat of attention is directed at it.
    How is it countered effectively then? I don’t have a ready answer…

molgrips
    Free Member

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer;

As I said before – there is no them and us. They ARE us.

frankconway

Cougar, that Byline piece is depressing and concerning.
    No doubt some mean every word they have written.
    I wonder how many of the keyboard warriors – particularly those who use pseudonyms – really mean what they have written or are just being thick ignorant **** because they think it makes them look big and important.
    Most would be incapable of any rational discussion.
    Most are only empowered behind a keyboard or when they’re being aggressive as part of a group; one to one they just grunt and truck off because they are inadequate.
    Post, delete, think it’s forgotten; no it isn’t and thanks to Byline for pulling this together.
    Enough to make me ashamed of my country.

GrahamS

When you voted for a referendum called by a Conservative government, who did you think would be “in charge” of the UK leaving the EU?

Maybe she just assumed, as I’m sure many did, that they wouldn’t make a monumental pig’s ear of it.

pondo

And yet you are doing the same, what they actually said was they deliberately used a controversial number because they knew that it would be attacked by the Remain side and that would keep the coverage on an area that was a strength for them. If they had put £200 million on the side of the bus, I can’t imagine there are many people who would have said only £200 million, oh well in that case I will vote remain. However it would have significantly effected the coverage. That is why it was important to them.

I don’t think the number matters particularly, other than that it is big – the argument was that the money we spend on membership of the EU, we could spend on the NHS, whether that was £350 million, £200 million, £18 million, etc. And there was no mention of a divorce settlement.

kelvin

Cost benefit analysis… if you only look at the costs of a deal, you’ll end up worse off trying to save money.

Cougar

Cougar, that Byline piece is depressing and concerning.
    No doubt some mean every word they have written.
    I wonder how many of the keyboard warriors

I don’t doubt for a moment that they’re not actually representative of most Leave voters. They’re a vocal, extreme fringe. But still. It’s telling who you share a bed with, I reckon you’d struggle to compile a 58-page dossier of Remain death threats.

frankconway

GrahamS – don’t let the facts get in the way.

Net migration to the UK

aracer
    Free Member

Because accounting.

In the same way that a company account sheet will include movements of money which aren’t real.

You still haven’t worked out that I’m careful with my wording (though in this case I’m simply repeating the wording you used). A debit line on an account sheet doesn’t imply any actual “sending” of money.

Credits/Debits
    In/Out
    Not too hard is it?

Apparently it is.

GrahamS

I think you are missing my point frank (and I provided a link too).

ninfan
    Free Member

That being the case presumably you’d have absolutely no issue with people claiming that migration isn’t an issue because folk are leaving the U.K. at a rate of 342,000 a year?

No, I confirm 100% that I would have absolutely no problem at all with you making that claim.

Viewing 40 posts - 38,801 through 38,840 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.