Viewing 40 posts - 38,681 through 38,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

With an intractable DUP, May has to put it before Parliament and try to sell a deal to the moderates in her own party and make concessions to the opposition, or are we already past that point?

I refer to Rober Peston’s post earlier:

But here is what I assume will be scaring the Prime Minister witless (it scares me, just as a bystander). She is signing up for close regulatory alignment between the UK and EU without ever having secured agreement for that from the Cabinet.

So what now? Has she just ended her own premiership?

binners

It’s pretty clear that May has no idea what she’s dealing with in the DUP. She clearly judges them by Tory standards, ie: if the bung is big enough, there’s nothing we won’t do.

Whereas what she was asking them to do, in endorsing a ‘solution’ that would bring a United ireland a step closer, is like asking a vegan animal rights activist if they wouldn’t mind popping down to the abbatoir with a bolt gun as you fancy a big juicy steak.

May has shamelessly pandered to the idealogical nutters on her own backbenches, yet these lot are ten times worse

The fact that she couldn’t see this is yet another example, if any were needed, of how totally out of her depth she is.

Anyone who’s spent any time in NI knows full well that there’s no way on earth they’d evergo along with this! Unlike her, when they say there are red lines, they seriously bloody mean it!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I think that we’re all agreed that it’s turning into a disaster.

On the contrary, I think it’s **** hilarious!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You mean paying what they asked for after months of saying we wouldn’t?

Making stuff up on all accounts there. There’s a well established trend here

And people complain thst the Brexshiteers told porkies !!!

tjagain

jam bo – Member

The bill solution was a master stroke of how sensible negotiators and grown ups work.

You mean paying what they asked for after months of saying we wouldn’t? We sure bamboozled them there… [/quote]

Thats about it. Months of saying ” you can go whistle” and then making movement after movement until you arrive at the EUs minimum point. What a waste of a year. What a waste of goodwill. What sheer buffoonery

dudeofdoom

So May, ostensibly the PM of one of the world’s leading nations with 660 Parliamentarians, agrees a major international agreement with the world’s largest free trade block, and de facto goes public.

The regional special interest party with only 10 MPs yanks her chain and blocks the whole thing.

How can her position possibly be tenable?

Don’t forget we’ve got the EU27 to appease as well when we finally reach the end game of this.

Course this May already be stitched up behind the scenes and what are seeing is “bread and circuses” for the plebs.

Or they’re winging it.

dannyh
    Free Member

The alternative point of view appears to be that Varadkar or EU tried to leak a draft copy of the agreement in order to bounce May into agreeing to their wording, but she held firm.

That’ll be an ‘alternative view’ that has just been made up by ninfan and released onto the Internet to acquire the status of ‘truth’.

Just in case anyone was wondering. 🙄

binners

They’re clearly making this up on the hoof, and consulting absolutely nobody in the process

PJM1974
    Free Member

Almost as if he’s inadvertently disseminating fake news.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The only negotiation we are seeing is the different factions of the tories arguing with each other.

I’m lovin’ it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Meanwhile, here’s Donald Tusk’s take:

Met with PM @theresa_may. I was ready to present draft EU27 guidelines tomorrow for #Brexit talks on transition and future. But UK and Commission asked for more time. It is now getting very tight but agreement at December #EUCO is still possible.

tjagain

dannyh – actually suggested by the DUP

jam-bo

So was Boris et al making it up when they were telling the EU to ‘go whistle’? Or was that all part of the cunning plan. As cunning as a fox, etc, etc…

Keep believing in yourself THM, no one else does.

Edukator
    Free Member

Another reality check for May tomorrow:

https://politica.elpais.com/politica/2017/11/24/actualidad/1511545968_513128.html

Gibralta isn’t offically on the agenda (for now) but the future of 130 000 Spaniards and 300 000 Brits will be.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We have consistently argued that we will honour our financial commitments – I view Bojo as about as reliable as our very own STW tag team but much less amusing – and we have a deal that is consistent with current payments and 40-50% of the inflated figures bandied about.

I merely believe in the facts. Stick to them and you can believe in yourself. Try it….

oldnpastit

teamhurtmore – Member

You mean paying what they asked for after months of saying we wouldn’t?

[/quote]

Uhhh, we definitely said we’d pay nothing, and they could go whistle, as they would be so grateful for us continuing to buy their cars and cheese, rather than importing it from China.

And then in the end we gave them what they asked for.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nope ^2

binners

Have we mentioned Little Liam’s “we hold all the cards”?

Anyone seen anything much of him recently?

ninfan
    Free Member

I merely believe in the facts. Stick to them and you can believe in yourself. Try it….

Nonsense – away with you, we prefer to live in the wild hyperbole that within three days of Brexit the worlds markets will be closed to U.K. trade and armed guards will stand at the Irish border preventing Tayto crisps being exchanged like bitcoin and shooting those trying to flee to the south

thecaptain
    Free Member

So in THM-world, the £20Bn offer never existed, it was always clear that the UK was going to pay £50Bn+….

….

…so why did it take so long for that to be agreed then, if it was never in doubt?

thejesmonddingo

THM alt truth.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Boris and Patel both made statements to the effect that Brussels can “go whistle” and “sod off”, respectively, but that’s not necessarily the official line of our negotiators.

But there’s been a noticeable winding in of the hubris since June, plus as I’ve said before I suspect that those impact assessments will have had some sway in softening the tone.

thejesmonddingo

oh,and Ninfantasist

PJM1974
    Free Member

As an aside, I’m viewing the constant badgering of THM with growing distaste.

We may not all agree, but I hope that we can at least try to keep it civil.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Keep it quiet but – ssshhhhh – we are in a negotiation

(It’s what negotiators do, but mums the word 😉 )

jam-bo

So if the leavers aren’t getting what they thought they voted for and the ‘remoaners’ think it’s a shit idea anyway, remind me why we are doing this again?

spekkie
    Free Member

A Spanish friend just asked me “So . . . .almost half the country, led by a party that lost the election and had to jump in bed with some loonies, is being forced down a road they don’t want to go because a prime minister, who also didn’t want to go down that road, was forced to call a referendum”?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Because it’s:

Too big to fail
    The people have spoken
    To save face
    Party before country
    Etc

Delete as applicable.

tjagain

PJM1974 – Member

Given his long term personal attacks on people, his sneering contempt and his obvious falsehoods I don’t think he gets it too badly. Well protected by the mods. Its different from Jamba who is not rude. THM is deliberately rude

binners

Modern politics innit?

Those who make the most noise set the agenda

Got to love it! Cheers!

dannyh
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    dannyh – actually suggested by the DUP

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Oh, well, in that case…….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

PJM – save your kind thoughts. The posse in full flow is always a sight to behold and half the 1XV have yet to turn up.

Remember opposing views must be quashed at all costs 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

we are in a negotiation

Yeah, but we hold no cards, the EU holds them all,

that’s why the U.K. had to cave in today and the Irish got the guarantees they wanted.

(Oh…)

The Irish dont want a hard border, fine… now perhaps someone could tell me again how holding up negotiations and increasing the chance of no deal (which we are willing to walk away with, because as we said from the start, it’s better than a bad deal) helps deliver that?

A Spanish friend just asked me…

Did you point out to him the distinct lack of police smashing peoples heads in with batons at our referenda? Or that Nigel Farage isn’t currently in exile for daring to lead the rebellion (as much as some of you may like him to be)

PJM1974
    Free Member

If all of us think that the moderators favour everyone else then they’re clearly doing their job.

I bowed out of this thread a couple of months back because I was uncomfortable with the mud slinging, things haven’t improved in general.

jam-bo

Meh. I’m going riding. By the time I get back hopefully someone will have found some unicorn dust down the back of the sofa and waved a magic wand.

Till then I maintain it’s a complete bit of a mess. A totally uncessary, self inflicted one too.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ninfan there are many ironies in this whole debacle.

dannyh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Keep it quiet but – ssshhhhh – we are in a negotiation

(It’s what negotiators do, but mums the word )

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Ohhhh, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaaaaaa!

dudeofdoom

Yep most heartedly agree

I do like to see THM’s take/view on this thread although he can be a tad crotchety 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

I hope you replied, “yes, except no-one forced that prime minister to call a refererendum, he just promised to and did so”, Spekkie.

My French friends are every bit as preceptive as your Spanish friends, their main concern is that Britain should be prevented from gaining any kind of unfair advantage from Brexit.

AirB&B have developed a card system based in London and Gibralta so that rental incomes can be hinden from the French and Spanish tax collectors (and other countries too I presume). This kind of tax evasion facilitaed by London-based tax optimising firms is getting a lot of press in France, I assume Macron watches TF1 and reads a paper now and then. Britain is increasingly being presented as the dirty-dealing, tax-cheating black sheep of Europe. Just as 27 EU leaders have to sign off any deal with the UK. I’d like to thank our media sources for doing an excellent job.

dissonance

Britain is increasingly being presented as the dirty-dealing, tax-cheating black sheep of Europ

Some deflection going on there then. UK is up there but Holland compete nicely and then Ireland and Luxembourg make both UK and Holland look like amateurs.

Viewing 40 posts - 38,681 through 38,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.