Viewing 40 posts - 38,601 through 38,640 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Funny, DUP wouldn’t have been in a position to obstruct May if she hadn’t called the General Election she said she wasn’t going to call.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Which was full of lies

Ninfan is an expert witness on this subject

jam-bo

Scotland, Wales and London all want the same regulatory alignment deal as Northern Ireland.

so are we leaving the EU on a county by county basis now?

PJM1974
    Free Member

You’re sure that Daniel Hannan never stated that -excuse the paraphrasing- “No one is threatening our place in the single market?

You did not say “the citation is incorrect”. You called me a liar.

Difference.

FWIW I’ve reported the post.

doris5000

Ninfan is an expert witness on this subject

now now Junkyard. If Open Britain say something that is inaccurate, it means PJM is a liar. Can’t you follow this simple logic? 😮

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We..the ballot paper simply asked “should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

No mention on single market

Why would it? It’s pefectly clear what membership of the EU means and involves and what it doesn’t.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Does it mean continued regulatory convergence, or no regulatory divergence, or what exactly?

igm

It’s pefectly clear what membership of the EU means and involves and what it doesn’t.

I respectfully, and with referencing your tendencies toward truths or falsehoods, disagree.

This statement of mine is supported by the postings of one THM who is quite clear that the EU is changing and we do not know what it will become.

I’m playing of course. What you meant was it’s clear what leaving the EU means.

I disagree with that too as you would expect.

It can mean many things – otherwise a bespoke deal would not be possible.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve just been emailed by a moderator to say that aparrently calling someone a liar, even when they aren’t telling the truth, is a personal insult

“’Liar’ No personal insults thanks”

So, in that case, I’ll politely revise my assessment of PJM1974 to “potentially inadvertent purveyor of misrepresentation and fake news”

Since he stated that

Here

We were explicitly told by many prominent politicians from the Leave camp that leaving the EU would not mean leaving the Single Market.

Despite the fact that that the citation he linked to as proof of his claim was thoroughly dissected and rebuffed as misrepresentation of the facts here:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9dKcjfeVTs[/video]

I’m now going to remind you all that the UK sends £350 million a week to the EU, and if anyone says thats not true then I’ll act like a big wet girl and cry to the moderators about it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Why would it? It’s pefectly clear what membership of the EU means and involves and what it doesn’t.

THM – on the surface of it, that is correct. But there are non-member states who enjoy access to the single market i.e. Switzerland, Norway. It’s fair to say that it’s a far more complex question than anyone realised, for my part I have grave concern that the vote to leave the EU was driven chiefly by immigration with scant regard being paid to the economic benefit.

Did you, as someone who voted Remain ever imagine that the next eighteen months would prove to be a difficult for central government to reach a consensus as they’ve proven to be? I know that I didn’t. Did any of us consider Europol, Euratom for example?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ninfan is right of course, but I remember noting at the time of Brillo’s piece that his argument hinged on what was said by MPs and MEPs during the referendum campaign, but said nothing of what was said before and after.

Here’s BoJo on 26/06/2016:

“British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.

And we all know about Hannan. And Cameron…..

So ninfan is factually correct. However, prominent Leave MP/MEPs making these kind of pronouncements at any time mean that the possibility of turning Brexit around (as unlikely as it is anyway) are reduced, as those who don’t delve deeply think that’s the way its going to be. So they continue to set the tone.

How surprising is it to note that a Labour-controlled Brexit just became not only possible but likely? Strange times eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

the UK sends £350 million a week to the EU, and if anyone says thats not true then I’ll act like a big wet girl and cry to the moderators about it.

That is disingenuous. Or were you just joking with that comment?

Twodogs

teamhurtmore – Member
    We..the ballot paper simply asked “should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”
    No mention on single market

I didn’t say it should or shouldn’t…I just said it didn’t.

tjagain

Any sign of THMs “adults” or behind the scenes deals being done?

kelvin

“access to the single market” means NOTHING…

Even Farage understands that all countries have access to the single market…

[video]http://youtu.be/MAdT9RzXr2g[/video]

The “kind” of access we require… especially as regards NI, is to operate in the Single Market and Customs union, and all that entails. Convergence on regulation, sharing in the trade deals made by a large block of countries, etc… of course Farage doesn’t come to the same conclusion… don”t be like Farage.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

THM – on the surface of it, that is correct. But there are non-member states who enjoy access to the single market i.e. Switzerland, Norway. It’s fair to say that it’s a far more complex question than anyone realised,

Being the kind hearted person that I am 😉 I posted this many times from the HoL

From the outset, it is important that the Government, Parliament and the public are clear about the distinction between ‘access to’ and ‘membership of’ the Single Market. Many countries have ‘access to’ the EU’s Single Market, either through agreed tariffs at the WTO or via a FTA. However, the only countries which have full membership of the Single Market—which entails the liberalised movement of goods, services, people and capital (the ‘Four Freedoms’), secured through common rules interpreted by the European Court of Justice (CJEU)— are EU Member States. The EEA states only enjoy partial membership, because the EEA agreement does not include a customs union. On the other hand, Turkey’s inclusion in a customs union with the EU does not entail the free movement of services, people or capital. Fundamentally, full membership of the Single Market is predicated upon acceptance of all Four Freedoms

Of course the trolls and the chief in particular were very unhappy when this was posted. But facts have always being inconvenient for them

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have you missed today’s news TJ?!?

You are very funny

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone just hear Varadkar?

There’s a deal.
    Ok let’s announce that.
    Hello, is that Leo?
    Yep, what’s up Terry?
    Ah, about that deal…that bloody difficult woman in Belfast!

PJM1974
    Free Member

That is disingenuous. Or were you just joking with that comment?

I’m going with disingenuous. While I disagree with ninfan on many points, I refrain from personal insult.

kelvin

There are countries that are not members of the EU that are part of the SM and/or the CU.
    It is a political choice beyond that advised by the referendum result, to not operate in the SM and CU.
    Today reminds us of that so very clearly.

Even your choice quote is flawed THM…

The EEA states only enjoy partial membership, because the EEA agreement does not include a customs union

Woolly, no? They don’t have “partial membership”‘ do they? If we were part of the customs union and the single marktet, would we have “full membership”? I think not. We’d be non-members operating in systems of which we were not members, wouldn’t we?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Membership of v access to

It’s not that hard.

We are negotiating the terms of the latter having given up the former. Very clear.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TJ the grown up Mr Varadkar “confident possible to find deal in December”

But you can always keep ignoring the truth. No grown ups, no chance of a deal, no behind the scenes negotiations. No, really? 😉

igm

I quite enjoyed pointing out to THM that from logical consideration of his posts he doesn’t know what in or out of the EU means.

But he doesn’t want to play today. Fair enough.

That inflection point is coming closer by the day now though.

kelvin

We are negotiating the terms of the latter having given up the former. Very clear.

Yes, and the best terms are available only by staying in the Single Marlet and Curremcy Unions…which happens to also solve the Irish border conundrum.

Better still to be members and not give up control of course.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tut, tut

Having access to the SM and CU

It’s not that difficult really

But good to see that you have now recognised that the Irish border comes after the agreement over what form of access to the SM and CU is negotiated. So quite a bit of progress today all-in-all

cchris2lou

what a day to be busy at work !

still , very happy for NI and Ireland if reports are true .

The fall out in the rest of the UK is going to be huge .

Cougar

I’m now going to remind you all that the UK sends £350 million a week to the EU, and if anyone says thats not true then I’ll act like a big wet girl and cry to the moderators about it.

It’s not true. It doesn’t take into account the £100m rebate we get, so the actual figure is around £250m. And that neatly ignores all the money that comes back again.

Incidentally, we were just debating whether you’d whine for getting a warning or not. I won.

kelvin

Tut, tut

Having access to the SM and CU

It’s not that difficult really

Meaningless twaddle. Every country I can think of has access.
    It is set out in treaties which specific countries are inside both the SM & CU.

igm

THM – I’m right in thinking one can preserve access to the SM and CU by remaining in the EU – and as a bonus get some say over their rules.

I’m right ain’t I?

DrJ

TJ the grown up Mr Varadkar “confident possible to find deal in December”

Has this been approved by the not-very-grown-up Arlene Foster?

kimbers

Question is how much is this going to cost May

The DUP didn’t come cheap at the first bribe.

I see Vote Leave nob Owen Patterson caught lying again on R4 this morning, NI send 37% of its exports to EU, not ‘small amount- 5% ‘ as he tried to BS earlier.

Whether it’s money for the NHS, leaving the SM or trade figures, you can never trust a brexy !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42223732

kelvin

But good to see that you have now recognised that the Irish border comes after the agreement over what form of access to the SM and CU is negotiated. So quite a bit of progress today all-in-all

To progress to a trade deal, one of the EU countries needs promises as regards the border, and despite both EU and UK teams insisting otherwise, there is no way that can fail to have a knock on effect on what agreements will be arrived at as regards SM & EU. Hopefully, we will all in the UK end up operating inside both the SM & CU, even if not EU members.

[ edited to be more polite – no point rising to that oh so familiar patronising tone ]

Northwind

ninfan – Member

I’m now going to remind you all that the UK sends £350 million a week to the EU

Sir David Norgrove says you’re a liar

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IGM had we voted to retain our membership then yes. Try to avoid the woolly “in” phrase. As you can see, it confuses people

kelvin

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed kelvin our “team” is currently negotiating the terms of our access to the SM and CU despite what some would have you believe

Let’s hope they succeed

dannyh
    Free Member

Incidentally, we were just debating whether you’d whine for getting a warning or not. I won.

😆

Anyway.

THM. What is it you want from Brexit? Is it a ‘Brexit’ in name only? Or is it the more ‘ideological’ end of the spectrum?

If we do get a ‘Brexit’ it will be so far removed from what the ‘nothing short of carpet bombing Dresden will do’ loons, then it will please nobody. I acknowledge whoever used that turn of phrase earlier.

Whatever happens, Brexit is the end of Tory government for a long, long time. It is a problem of their own making and seeing them wriggle, squirm and in-fight is thoroughly entertaining.

Edukator
    Free Member

So much for the progres some claimed would have been made by now. On page 990 I made these posts a month ago:

There’s such a huge gulf between what might reasonably be expected of the UK and what Davies is offering that progress seems unlikely.

On NI the EU is insisting on some kind of physical checks at the border as it would be the EU border with the UK and the EU needs to be able to stop Britian flooding the EU with tarif free goods from the rest of the world (tarif free trade with the rest of the world was a reason for Brexit remember). The UK has so far refused this.

On the divorce payment the figures I’ve seen from the UK side, £20bn and £38bn, have both been denied and are far from the figures calculated and presented by the EU. The UK figures barely cover membership during the Art. 50 period and an eventual transition period, adding the part of EU debt attributable to the UK and pensions gives a figure of around 100bn euros. The EU needs a figure with parliamentary backing to work on, that’s when negotiations will start, and end if the figure is seen as rediculously low.

The DUP having a hold on the Tories means progress on NI is unlikely so I can’t see “negotiations” going far. Negotiations thus far can sumarised as:

Britain “we hear what you’re asking and we refuse point blank, go whistle”.

EU “OK, next meeting in two months then”.

and repeat at each meeting of Davies and Barnier.

So NI is a catch 22 with the only way out being to cancel Brexit.

Edit to add: The Good Friday agreement was torn up when th eTories formed a coalition with the DUP, the British government is no longer impartial.

Britain is pressing on with Brexit with a government that includes the DUP. Brexit and the Good Friday agreement are incompatible on many levels as you’ll see if you read through the agreement. The agreement includes freedoms and responsibilites that are incompatible with NI and Eire being on two sides of an EU/rest of world frontier. Negotiating those away or simply removing them (hard Brexit) is in breach of the Good Friday agreement (and if you refuse to honour your responsibilities in a signed agreement then in popular parlance you are “tearing it up”).

The car crash continues.

tjagain

This is utter nonsense. The agreement on the 3 principles has to be made before any negotiations on trade can be started. There is no agreement therefore no trade talks

ninfan
    Free Member

Sir David Norgrove says you’re a liar

No, he says that without further explanation I’m being potentially misleading.

So there 😉

It’s not true. It doesn’t take into account the £100m rebate we get, so the actual figure is around £250m. And that neatly ignores all the money that comes back again.

So, you’re saying that it’s a lie, or it isn’t a lie?

I mean, you know, if you can5 say that someone was lying by posting material which was proven to be deliberate misrepresentation of what leave campaigners said about single market membership, then you can’t accuse me of lying for posting up material that is technically true but potentially deliberately misleading without further explanation

Proved the point on the partiality of moderation though haven’t I – bet a tenner you wouldn’t have intervened if anyone called me a liar despite the “No personal insults” rule

Viewing 40 posts - 38,601 through 38,640 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.