Viewing 40 posts - 34,761 through 34,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • DrJ

Frankly, the duty of the U.K. Gov is first and foremost to protect the interests if UK citizens.

In that case it’s a shame that they endangered those interests by leaving the EU.

If May had been serious about taking the issue off the table from the start, she could have done so on Day One of the negotiations.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They???

One again you seem to be missing that the government are executing the mandate delivered by the referendum. More voters believed that life is better with Brexshti than without. They are the key here.

Remind me why Junker’s was unprepared to do a citizens deal from the outset?

How comfortable are you with third country citizenship BTW? The gov briefing paper seems quite clear to ma about the loss of UK rights, but you must be more relaxed about this. Is there a reason?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One again you seem to be missing that the government are executing the mandate delivered by the referendum. More voters believed that life is better with Brexshti than without. They are the key here.

37% of those who voted (probably) wanted something sort of out the eu, some want no foreign people some don’t care. Some want something but not sure what.

Remind me why Junker’s was unprepared to do a citizens deal from the outset?

UK position not up to scratch, next easy one…

Third Country National (TCN) is a term often used in the context of migration, referring to individuals who are in transit and/or applying for visas in countries that are not their country of origin (i.e. country of transit), in order to go to destination countries that is likewise not their country of origin.

From Wikipedia, fine with me, less borders are better. Personally I’m a citizen of the world. Is your problem people coming to the eu to get into the UK?

How do you feel about shortages of workers in key industries that were filled by short term migration or people looking to commit to the UK who are now leaving?

mattjg
    Free Member

Leaver blog: http://peterjnorth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/i-dont-like-this-brexit-but-i-will-live.html

Basically “a 10 year recession, bring it on”.

I assume the author is financially comfortable.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You may need to do a tad more research on that Mike.

DrJ

LOL. Nothing to do with me guvnor. I was just executing a mandate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which bit oh teacher… Is that what you were referring to or not? Personally I fit that in some ways as my pr in Oz and future citizenship gets me the equivalent in nz. It’s good.
    Still know what sort of brexit people voted for?

kerley
    Free Member

Still know what sort of brexit people voted for?

Nobody does and never will. To have obtained that level of information the ballot paper would have been a sheet of A4 with 20 scenarios on it.

Remain
    Leave but stay in ECJ
    Leave but stay in common market
    Leave but keep freedom of movement
    Leave and combinations of the above
    etc,.
    etc,.

slowoldman

Basically “a 10 year recession, bring it on”.

I’m looking forward to spending my retirement in a recession.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yea they voted to give up membership of the EU

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah yes, such a detailed answer there, can we define that?

molgrips
    Free Member

THM do you really not think we should have a say on what happens afterwards?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes we cease to be members of the EU and need to find an alternative solution to trading wth EU/maintain access to single market and vice versa

It would be nice to be able to start negotiating the terms of that solution but our partners are (UN)surprisingly reluctant to do so. Odd that…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Retirement in a recession could be a good thing, provided you have good pensions, house paid for etc. Lots of cheap labour to do the garden etc….

slowoldman

Yes, possibly.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It would be nice to be able to start negotiating the terms of that solution but our partners are (UN)surprisingly reluctant to do so. Odd that…

Cos it’s all that nasty EU being difficult & us being oh so ultra reasonable…..

🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not odd. It’s normal when trying to negotiate from a position of weakness. Brexit is being driven by a minority of a minority government for the minority of people in the UK. Stats support that.
    The Tories are making chances of a deal less and less.

slowoldman

It will be interesting to see how Catalonia’s negotiations with the EU go.

slowoldman

It’s not odd. It’s normal when trying to negotiate from a position of weakness. Brexit is being driven by a minority of a minority government for the minority of people in the UK

Led by a PM who doesn’t know how she would vote if there was another referendum.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

why would she change – she was a remainer before, we know that.

Mike – you can twist the result whichever way you want, it won’t change. The majority of voters voters to leave.

martinhutch

Led by a PM who doesn’t know how she would vote if there was another referendum.

Of course we know how she would vote, and indeed did vote. A large proportion of those currently held hostage by ‘the will of the people’ know the likely dire consequences of carrying it out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That would be you twisting it..
    The poll was of people from the UK, some ex pats and few non UK residents.
    The majority of voters did not.
    The majority of those who voted did.
    The people who voted were surveyed and had many different visions.
    The tory party do not hold a parliamentary majority but still run brexit
    That do not represent the views of the majority of the citizens of the UK

oldnpastit

A bad idea is still a bad idea even if you throw everything you’ve got at it.

DrJ

Of course we know how she would vote, and indeed did vote.

Yes we do. The interesting bit is that she is so weak and spineless that she feels unable to stick to her principles even in a radio interview. Do you trust her to defend her corner in a battle with a tough opponent – Schauble or whoever?

Del

The interesting bit is that she is so weak and spineless that she feels unable to stick to her principles even in a radio interview.

quite. have a bit of f’ing backbone and say it. 🙄
    it’s this sort of weaseling about that gives politicians a bad reputation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I remember reading that first chaper in Ian Dunt’s book and thinking, “Ok, that’s enough doom…like that would ever happen.” 😆

Oh…

mattjg
    Free Member

or does but wouldn’t say.

and she certainly failed to go Brexit-all-in when given the chance.

Are the quitter channels apoplectic this AM?

aracer
    Free Member

I presume because she still has to pretend to the loony fringes, because that’s the only way of maintaining any semblance of control over them (which to be fair would be the case even if she wasn’t so weak). Damian Green at least doesn’t have any such qualms

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-damian-green-remain-comments-eu-referendum-uk-prospects-first-secretary-state-theresa-a7993941.html

aracer
    Free Member

Liz Truss on Brexit just now:

since we’ve left it’s been more positive

FFS!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it’s this sort of weaseling about that gives politicians a bad reputation.

yes, Corbyn is a lot better at avoiding making any binding statements…

binners

Hammond going off-message and letting that nasty ‘reality’ business intrude on the flag-waving bonkersness

I think Phil, despite looking like a particularly depressed funeral director, is actually enjoying himself winding up the loonies. Well if Boris can swan about doing what he bloody well likes, why not?

kimbers

quick some whataboutery to distract from the Tory Brexishambles!

Del

if you think i was suggesting that then let me disabuse you of that notion now. 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We are well into the realms of fantasy land if folk expect the PM to go on radio and state she is opposed to Brexshit in the middle of leading the negotiations

DrJ

We are well into the realms of fantasy land if folk expect the PM to go on radio and state she is opposed to Brexshit in the middle of leading the negotiations

I don’t think we expected that. I think we might have hoped that she would either lie convincingly or else avoid the question a bit more artfully than just flopping around like a newly landed fish.

binners

or else avoid the question a bit more artfully than just flopping around like a newly landed fish.

You’re familiar with her recent ‘Strong and Stable’ work then? 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

She has seen all the studies, she is the best placed person to know whether brexit is a good idea. It really isn’t a hard question, is it good or bad. That she can’t say it is a good idea might give a hint of the truth.

Time for politicians to start telling the truth, will of the people or not, if it is going to be a disaster then it is time to start telling the truth not hiding behind meaningless soundbites.

By not spelling out the realities, it only makes things worse later when people realise they have been betrayed.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

It’s a disingenuous answer either way, because she must have an opinion one way or the other, and if she was in favour of Brexit it would be really easy for her to say so.

Of course the actual reason for her refusing to answer is nothing to do with the negotiations (where I suspect the EU might even be happier dealing with her if she was prepared to admit that). But then you know that don’t you?

Viewing 40 posts - 34,761 through 34,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.