Viewing 40 posts - 33,401 through 33,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Anti immigrant? Based on her Home Office record she’s all mouth and no trousers (and nothing subsequently has served to suggest that’s an incorrect impression). If it wasn’t for this awkward deadline where they’ll just chuck us out with no deals agreed, I’d expect TM in charge of negotiations to result in her claiming that we were going to have our cake and eat it, but no actual change.

thecaptain
    Free Member

the feeling on the EU side is that the Tories don’t know what the fk to do

Clearly no-one knows what the fk to do. Both major parties have painted themselves into the same corner with the “respect the referendum” bullshit when brexit is clearly insane to anyone who’s though about it for more than a few seconds (excluding the swivel-eyed loons, of which there are of course quite a few).

As soon as Labour get in power it will eat them up too. There is no good brexit, there is not even a half-decent brexit.

The only half-plausible “solution” other than a full and humiliating climb-down is to create a new status of non-member who shares all the rights and responsibilities of a full member. Perhaps we could call it a pre-transition preparation. And then adjourn negotiations and quietly normalise the situation a year or two down the line when most of the brexiters are dead.

kimbers

As soon as Labour get in power it will eat them up too.

I suspect so

kimbers

an extra 350m a week?

more like we will have £300m a week LESS after Brexit

IFS’s deputy director Carl Emmerson.

The Office for Budget Responsibility forecasts the outlook for the UK economy and the public finances; these forecasts have been adopted by the chancellor as the government’s own. They contain an allowance of almost £250m per week — not £350m — for funding that could in principle go to the NHS rather than the EU. But this would involve no state support for any other activities, such as subsidies for agriculture, that are at present funded in the UK by the EU.

The bigger picture is that the forecast health of the public finances was downgraded by £15bn per year — or almost £300m per week — as a direct result of the Brexit vote. Not only will we not regain control of £350m weekly as a result of Brexit, we are likely to make a net fiscal loss from it. Those are the numbers and forecasts which the government has adopted. It is perhaps surprising that members of the government are suggesting rather different figures.

binners

What Boris’s intervention has shown is that May has absolutely zero authority, but for reasons best known to herself is desperate to cling on to ‘power’ (whatever that means in this context)

So I expect her ‘Big Speech’ will be the same empty meaningless ‘Brexit means Brexit’ platitudes that had grown tiresome 12 months ago. All she’s bothered about is heading off a full-on leadership challenge, before or during the Tory conference.

She’s going to be disappointed on that score. The knives are already out. Its going to be a bloodbath

Once again the future of the country takes a distant second place to the internal machinations and petty rivalries within the Tory party

molgrips
    Free Member

I do hope she pulls her finger out tbh. But I don’t hold out a lot of hope.

Junkyard
    Free Member

At this time no one could lead the tory party as the voews range from Boris or redwood to Ken clarke

May is not one of the most astute or skilled leaders [ or even technocrats] that we have ever had so it will all just be a desperate attempt to cling to power

TBH the shit storm ahead is her best bet as even Boris knows that to rule over this and lead us into an economic and political shit storm will lead to a one term Premiership
    The are all waiting for he to be destroyed by Brexit and then they can rise from the ashes of that mess untainted. Its not her skill that is keeping her there its the iceberg ahead and she gets to hit it then they change captain.

dannyh
    Free Member

salad_dodger – Member

Quality flounce Jamba. Just use your other log in when you feel the need to post on the forum.

Posted 1 day ago #

Oooh, pleeeeease tell me Jamba has been officially outed as a multi-login troll.

Edukator
    Free Member

Oops wrong thread

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ooops Ed – quick get that on the religion thread. 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

She’s going to be disappointed on that score. The knives are already out. Its going to be a bloodbath

Normally i would agree, but i don’t think anyone wants the job yet, and no one wants to be the knife man. Maybe that is where Rees-Mogg comes in?

Anyone who takes the job now is screwed. Mind you if the tories don’t do something drastic soon they will become a political irrelevance, average age of c75, hardly conducive to long-term survival.

kimbers

Maybe that is where Rees-Mogg comes in?

mogg absolutely pooped himself when it seemed like he might actually have a chance of leadership

far happier to sit on the backbenches and play his games

dannyh
    Free Member

The only half-plausible “solution” other than a full and humiliating climb-down is to create a new status of non-member who shares all the rights and responsibilities of a full member. Perhaps we could call it a pre-transition preparation. And then adjourn negotiations and quietly normalise the situation a year or two down the line when most of the brexiters are dead.

Full and humiliating climb-down gets my vote. Followed by some sort of reckoning within the UK – probably involving the stocks and lots and lots of rancid vegetables.

binners

Normally I would agree, but I don’t think anyone wants the job yet

Boris certainly does. Because… entitlement

But whoever is the frontrunner and instigates the coup never ends up as leader. Thats just the way the Tory’s do things. This ridiculous faux-truce situation just cannot continue, and once they’re all together in Manchester (we’ll give them the usual stay-behind-the-police-cordon-at-all-costs ‘welcome’) they won’t be able to help themselves. All the factions wil plot and scheme against each other until the inevitable no-confidence letter heads to the 1922 committee

… and then all hell breaks loose

I wish they’d get on with it!

mattjg
    Free Member

One prominent Italian commentator captured the mood of regret this way: “To be alone in 1940 among the enemy was heroic, to be alone in 2017 among friends is absurd.”

source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/19/theresa-may-brexit-eurosceptic-italy-europe-speech-florence

mrmo
    Free Member

And it looks like Boris is getting ready to jump before the train goes over the cliff according to the Telegraph.

Then he can emerge as he savior after the train crash.

mattjg
    Free Member

Guardian reckons is gossip spread by his enemies. Says ask the Times and Spectator, where he’s worked.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The only half-plausible “solution” other than a full and humiliating climb-down is to create a new status of non-member who shares all the rights and responsibilities of a full member..

What like some kind of bespoke deal ?

binners

Vince Cable absolutely nailed how we arrived at this nonsense completely today

“Another disaster looms….. Brexit. The product of a fraudulent and frivolous campaign led by two groups of silly public schoolboys reliving their dormitory pillow fight

And now thanks to Boris Johnson we have been led into a full scale riot while the headteacher is hiding, barricaded in her office”

Pretty much spot on, that

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Odd how few people voted to support his view

Poor old Vince, unloved as ever

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you Jambalaya?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No Andrew Marr

He was a bit put out when I mentioned this on Sunday

kimbers

Your faith in the competence of Davis & co, especially considering the limited time left, is impressive!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not at all

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m happy to let you call it a “bespoke deal” and claim you “won” so long as we have all rights and responsibilities of full EU members.

Deal?

mattjg
    Free Member

FPTP – most votes in most constituencies are in a 2 horse race.

mattjg
    Free Member

Like we do as members.

kelvin

A bespoke deal means a bespoke deal.

kimbers

A bespoke shafting?

May Offering a 20bn exit bill apparently, not sure that’ll be enough, but it’s a start !

yunki
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

Another disaster looms….. Brexit. The product of a fraudulent and frivolous campaign led by two groups of silly public schoolboys reliving their dormitory pillow fight

Poor old Vince can’t get anything right – they don’t have dormitories at Eton.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just sketch out the key points of this special deal… Unless the real lunitics get in charge it will be better than the ROW who don’t really talk to the EU and different to any other deal already signed. Yep a bespoke deal is inevitable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best example of a bespoke deal yet 😉

tjagain

Bespoke deal? Utterly absurd. there is no time and no expertise to negotiate one along with no chance of the EU ever accepting one. the delusions are getting worse

Edukator
    Free Member

20bn, that’s about half the lowest figure Europeans are expecting.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Odd that so many people are currently in the process of negotiating one. How absurd is that?

thecaptain
    Free Member

You tell us, thm. The whole charade seems little more than a device to prop up this dysfunctional govt one day st a time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well capn it’s tough when one sides tactic is to avoid negotiating if possible, true

Very odd idea that this mess is propping up the government. They seem in some considerable disarray to me. You may know better though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Odd that so many people are currently in the process of negotiating one. How absurd is that?

Most of which would like to have a nice easy one already done.

Viewing 40 posts - 33,401 through 33,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.