Viewing 40 posts - 3,281 through 3,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • DrJ

Obviously we need to build a wall to keep out the dark skinned rapists.

Oh. Hang on a mo. I’m getting my racists mixed up.

#trumpalaya

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and off goes Boris

‘On the hook’
    Brexit campaigner and former London mayor Mr Johnson will make a speech saying the UK will be “forced to hand over even more money” if voters opt to stay in the EU in the 23 June referendum.
    “The risks of remain are massive. Not only do we hand over more than £350m a week to the EU, but if we vote to stay the British people will be on the hook for even more cash,” he will say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36457376

Meanwhile, David Cameron will accuse Vote Leave of “an economic con-trick”.
    The PM will be joined by Labour’s Harriet Harman, Liberal Democrat Tim Farron and the Greens’ Natalie Bennett at an event later, where they will collectively call on the Leave camp to spell out an economic plan for the UK if it quits the EU.

I expect that to go about as well as asking the leave camp in here for similar and end up with something a little bit racist being used to deflect attention.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TMH you questions are as relevant* to the Greek and eurozone contagion bailout as is our veto to Turkey joining the EU.

I’ll take that as, “sorry I am going to avoid answering your simple questions yet again.”

No surprise, there is a trend here and for good reason – the answers are uncomfortable. Far better to pretend that wild exageragetaion/speculation/xenophobia > EU legislation and precedent. You will claim that I/we are losing the plot next.

Out of interest if/when Greece defaults would you rather be exposed through unsecured IMF funding or via a fully collateralised and legally-binding solution. As a financier, what would you prefer and advise?

Nest week is going to be very interesting as the economic risks of the EU are brought to the fore.

More likely, it will be very depressing as the BSers make up more lies in an attempt to scare and deceive the GB public. As mike indicated ^ Bojo has already started – blinded as he is by naked narcissism.

Remain are losing the plot

No really….

Truly shameful post truth politics.

* tbc, my questions were basically – what happened in the past, what legal safeguards do we have relating to the future and how does the EU referendum affect our potential exposure through the IMF? And your diversion/conclusion: non of the above is relevant. That sums up the debate so far……

kimbers

It was good to see Major show how peed of he was with Brexit politicians telling barefaced lies to further their political ambitions. As well as the potential to do so much damage to our country, but also to the political system and especially the Tory party itself….

….So Borris goes on the offensive with more bullshitting, is quite remarkable!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed his savaging of them on the NHS just showed how truthful those folk were being- if he wont trust them then why should we?
    See also – looking after workers rights.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s narcissism – pure and simple – and a disgrace. Far worse than the depths that Alex Salmond stooped to, which is some hurdle to cross.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The £2.4bn in extra payments to the EU budget which Leave are speaking of today is just a small part of the £10’s of billions whuch are coming. Even the £20bn Vote Leave ate speaking of is a very low estimate. I see Umana is saying we have a veto over budget increases so lets here from Labour and Conservatives that they will 100% guaranty to veto any and all EU budget increase

The additional money above is already required to fund the migrant mismanagement fiasco the EU faces, the Government is well aware of this as is the EU the payment deamnd is just being pushed till after the Referendum. We will not veto this payment demand

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Careful, you will be accusing Remain of scaremongering next.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The additional money above is already required to fund the migrant mismanagement fiasco the EU faces,

Remind me again, was the UK one of the instrumental countries in some of the military action down there that triggered the migrant crisis?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Jambas on this latest bit of hyperbole, please help us out.

If, as you say, there is going to be an increase in the money paid into the EU budget, how does that work? Who approves this? Can the budget and it’s ceilings be approved without agreement of all member states?

This is another important issue – you have raised it in the vital category like Greece – so straight answers would be appreciated if not expected.

dazh

If anyone’s got access to a telly, put on BBC News 24 now. There’s a hilarious pitch-forks at the ready ‘debate’ going on about the EU on the Victoria Darbyshire show. The idiots are taking over.

footflaps

Quite glad I moved all my SIPP investments out of UK stocks last week, pound has fallen again on last poll…

Shame I didn’t move my ISAs (yet).

Junkyard
    Free Member

The £2.4bn in extra payments to the EU budget which Leave are speaking of today is just a small part of the £10’s of billions whuch are coming. Even the £20bn Vote Leave ate speaking of is a very low

#jambyfact

you are just making things up now and blatantly so.

If, as you say, there is going to be an increase in the money paid into the EU budget, how does that work? Who approves this? Can the budget and it’s ceilings be approved without agreement of all member states?

This is another important issue – you have raised it in the vital category like Greece – so straight answers would be appreciated if not expected.
    he has already answered that 🙄

Well done Jamby you made me and THM be on the same side, your skills are literally world-class
    Chapeau.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not going to react to polls anymore, Footflaps. It’s too close to call and shifting investments on the basis of polls is like shifting form red to black in roulette. The people with extreme views know where they stand and tell the poll people. UKIP scored exactly what the polls predicted in the last elections. It’s the middle ground that the polls fail on. In the last election they put Labour and Conservative neck and neck but the Conservatives had a clear win.

DrJ

Jamby and the Leavers are just playing “think of a number” now. Heaven knows what the impact that on future political discussion in the country will be if this strategy proves successful.

Coyote
    Free Member

Still undecided here however the more I see of Boris and Gove the more I’m inclined to vote stay.

br
    Free Member

UKIP scored exactly what the polls predicted in the last elections. It’s the middle ground that the polls fail on. In the last election they put Labour and Conservative neck and neck but the Conservatives had a clear win.

No, as pointed out previously it’s those that give an opinion and then don’t vote that ‘upsets’ the polls’ predictions.

stewartc
    Free Member

Good to see this hasn’t gone the usual route of extreme Googling for facts and people calling each other racist while claiming not to read each others posts.

I see this being close, the referendum that is but back in the UK from Thursday for a week so would be good to get the feel for what people are thinking.

DrJ

Good to see this hasn’t gone the usual route of extreme Googling for facts

Facts? that’s so vieux jeu, mon ami. We’re in post-truth politics now. Just think of a number(*), double it, and repeat until people who don’t know any better believe it’s true.

(*) this number could be an amount of money, a number of rapists, anything you like!!

dazh

back in the UK from Thursday for a week so would be good to get the feel for what people are thinking.

As a summary, every single problem we have is the fault of immigrants. Now that they are allowed to entertain and express their darker instincts and blame a convenient scapegoat, the general pubic is suddenly massively concerned about the shortage of school places, under-funding of the NHS, falling wages, lack of social housing and other public services which they weren’t very interested in a year ago when they voted for a tory government. After we vote to leave, we can look forward to Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and IDS, ushering in a new era of social justice and responsibility where the money saved from EU wastefulness will be spent on schools, hospitals, council houses. They’ll probably create a new bank holiday too to celebrate our independence from the evil empire.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Press Conference at DCS a successful Stratford upon Avon based company today. As Boris said

Cold hard facts. Cold hard cash

The EU want us in so we can pay the bills, they want their goods and services to have priority for a customer, the UK, who buys far more than we sell. There are direct powers in the Treaty which override any “opt outs” when it comes to the EU budget. As we have seen Cameron and Osbourne said they wouldn’t pay the last budget demand (or as I call it the coke and hookers calculation) and of course we had to pay, in full. Ditto the stability fund demand where we where obliged to put in a further £ billion. The EU project stands at a financial precipice and they will require hundreds of bilions if they are to try and save it – for those that care they can read the drafts of the proposed €700bn rescue fund and the terms and conditons which require payment on demand with no ability to challenge. When the S hits the fan we will have to pay.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One last chance since you raise the stability fund

Have we contributed to the fund?
    On what grounds did we participate in supporting Greece, if at all?
    Was it collateralised?
    Was it paid back in full?

Four very simple questions with equally simple answers. We will leave what happened in terms of legislation for another time.

We can read the documentation and the role of non EZ members is clear.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

As with all this debate it is really a minefield in regard to reading the information and looking at threads on the net like this one, reading the heavily biased newspapers toward one way or the other depending on who the paper owner favours in out for there own self need. Then the general media as a whole one writer telling you this is a good idea and then another telling you its wrong because no doubt they have some vested interest in staying in (or out) Even down to some guy owning the local chip shop who serves 200 Polish workers a day with fish and chips and will be worried his profits will go down if no more Polish people are able to come from the local industrial estate and line his pockets.

Everyone seems to have a vested interest and the more sinister side is they will all try and brainwash you into why you should vote the way they want. Think why David Cameron wants you to vote the way he wants… there will be a vested interest for his family, close friends and party members he favours, as well as his own selfish reason! I would stake anything you like on that it will be down to ‘money’ in one way, shape. or form for him and the his ilk

Why can’t people just vote on things with there own mind and judgement and also on own experiences. Mine is simple I don’t even listen to a word of what anyone wants me to hear or see in this debate my mind was made up over the years of living where I do and what I see and hear and experience in real life. I;m not interested the David Cameron take on it or The Daily Mail and the Sun for that… all biased with a vested interest on it. Vote from your own experience in life not the elites experience or someone that has no baring on your life at all.

DrJ

Three very simple questions with equally simple answers,

You haven’t really got the hang of this game, have you THM?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

On the contrary, it’s important to repeat the fact that the BSers can’t answer simple questions. It’s very telling that every question has been bypassed so far despite the fact that they relate to issues that they deem important.

This is a campaign based on deceit and blatant lies. They are at it again today since they have no shame.

But another 😀 anyway

molgrips
    Free Member

Has the ‘un-democratic’ EU been discussed yet?

People complain about the EU being undemocratic, but we do still vote for EU MPs, so is there some constitutional objection or what?

ahwiles
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Has the ‘un-democratic’ EU been discussed yet?

it pops up ever other page i reckon.

it’s really quite annoying, all of a sudden, lots of people are desperately keen on ‘democracy’, but come the next GE, the same people won’t even mention our unjustifiable FPTP system, or the house of lords, or the monarchy, etc.

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    One last chance since you raise the stability fund

Have we contributed to the fund?
    On what grounds did we participate in supporting Greece, if at all?
    Was it collateralised?
    Was it paid back in full?
    Sooner or later you will have to contribute to the fund whether you like it or not coz that is the game of the EU bureaucrats. Although they have not demand all EU members to contribute at this stage they are merely playing the waiting game as the biggest fish (you lot) is not in the net yet … still swimming around the net. The big fish needs to be lured into the net slowly. Once the big fish (UK) is in the net it will be too late to wiggle out of the net. It’s time to dissect the fish, cutting of the fins, to make sure it will never swim again. As the moment the EU will try to sweep the matter under the carpet or at least keep it as quiet as possible with their intention.

Obvious is obvious … I can see them coming to be honest.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good to see this hasn’t gone the usual route of extreme Googling for facts

I love the fact [ see what I did there] we have reached a point where folk are mocked for having views based on actual verifiable claims termed facts.

the UK, who buys far more than we sell.

about 50% of our trade/GDP about 4 % of theirs – Well done for doing spin rather than outright BS though. they can lose all our trade we cannot lose theirs. Anyone who can do maths or works in finance can tell you that.

There are direct powers in the Treaty which override any “opt outs” when it comes to the EU budget. As we have seen Cameron and Osbourne said they wouldn’t pay the last budget demand (or as I call it the coke and hookers calculation) and of course we had to pay, in full.

That is **** disgusting you mean they applied the rules we had signed up to and presented us with the bill…. then the bullying bastards actually made us pay it all and in full… I wish they were inept and just ignored the fact we did not pay….I am sure you would admire them if they did this – this is the beauty of jamby land whatever way the facts go its the EU who get the blame.

Ditto the stability fund demand where we where obliged to put in a further £ billion. The EU project stands at a financial precipice and they will require hundreds of bilions if they are to try and save it –

You did not even get the name correct never mind the sum

We are not even a member of it 🙄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Financial_Stability_Facility

which also states

As part of the second bailout for Greece, under a retroactive Collective action clause, 100% of the Greek-jurisdiction bonds were shifted to the EFSF, amounting to €164 billion (130bn new package plus 34.4bn remaining from Greek Loan Facility) throughout 2014.[
    And we are not a member of this

Back to you to ignore the facts and rant about something else and get it all wrong.

Edukator
    Free Member

But to save Molgrips reading back:

The Council decides what the parliament debates and votes on. If the parliament votes the way the council wants then the Council agrees and the law is passed. If the parliament decides something the Council doesn’t like the Council can block it. Call that democracy if you wish, I call it sham or puppet democracy.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I can see them coming to be honest.

Anything else in that crystal ball of yours?….

chewkw
    Free Member

mrlebowski – Member

I can see them coming to be honest.

Anything else in that crystal ball of yours?…. [/quote]
    Yes, the EU is playing a game of slowly slowly catchy monkey. Guess who is the monkey.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the parliament decides something the Council doesn’t like the Council can block it.

Do they do that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anything else in that crystal ball of yours?….

Only that if my balls were crystal you would hear me coming…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

The Council decides what the parliament debates and votes on. If the parliament votes the way the council wants then the Council agrees and the law is passed. If the parliament decides something the Council doesn’t like the Council can block it. Call that democracy if you wish, I call it sham or puppet democracy.

Will anyone ever get anything correct?

Commissioners propose legislation. To become law it needs to be passed by both the MEPS and the council of ministers a process termed co-decisions. the l;ter being the heads of state or the finance minister or whomever depending on the issue.
    The council of ministers gets votes based on population size[simple majority] with some areas of veto where it needs to be unanimous.

If the council wants some legislation the MEPS can block it but you did not mention this aspect did you

one sides, misleading and false account of the democracy

In the uk we need the passing of the elected commons and the unelected lords for a bill to be passed then signed by an unelected head of state.

I could type an equally misleading description of that “sham democracy”

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes, Molgrips. You’ll find examples of council members using their veto to block things, the parliament voting against things and the Council going its own merry way even when the parliament wants soemthing else. Sometimes the European Court steps in to sort out the mess:

Bispehnol A: Council found guilty by court

Edit to add a concrete example of how the democratic process doesn’t work:

Poland vetoes any attempt to restart trade with Russia. Russia is a major buyer of European milk products. Reduced demand for milk leads to a fall in the milk price. Milk farmers throughout Europe are in financial difficulty. As a milk farmer you can lobby your Euro MP, who is absolutely powerless in this situation.

Edit for Junkyard. You’ve just stated the same as me in different words.

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT No you got how laws were proposed incorrect, you did not say both chambers needed to pass laws – you sad one lot “block” and you accused the council of “choosing” what they wanted to pass. Your language was deliberately misleading and you called it a “sham” its not. Unless the UK is a sham as well – is it ?

The process does work they have the right to veto and they exercise it- what you want to discuss is whether this is fair or not.

the process may be flawed – what democracy is not?- but its not inherently antidemocratic to listen to Polish concerns. Do you think the UK wants to give up its right to veto at the EU or in the UN security council? the later of which is far more anti democratic

Lifer
    Free Member

I thought Russia boycotted trade with the EU in response to sanctions?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,281 through 3,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.