Viewing 40 posts - 31,761 through 31,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw[/video]

mrmo is bang on. The regulars in my local are unreconstructed UKIP voting racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted arseholes. Its why I don’t go in my local anymore. Let’s just say we had a frank exchange of views.

Be under no illusions, to them the Brexit result meant that ‘they’d won!!!”. They’re actually stupid enough to somehow believe that this would also mean that the ‘****’s’ and the ‘****’ (that’s their words – they’re also very vocal about them a well as the EU) would somehow be being sent home too*.

I would imagine they’re pretty representative of the views of a large chunk of Brexiters, whether they’re prepared to be as open about it. So… yes… hate crime has gone up. Somewhat inevitably

Why? Because the morons are ‘winning’, after decades of progress. They think they’ve put the country into reverse. That their toxic attitudes are having a renaissance 🙄

* I suspect they’re in for a bit of a shock on this front

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How about hate crime within the EU? Notice anything?. Again you can make your own minds up on the levels of causation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

really THM…. read the stats? Increase in the UK, well documented after the vote there was an increase. Then the UK government decided to play with other peoples lives while pandering to the racists.

Uncomfortable to hear?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excellent – well done.

Pleasure. Correcting your inaccuracies becomes easy with practice – and you provide lots of it.

Did your reading lead you to a view on what might happen after the UK ceases to be a member state of the EU?

Yes, there is a white paper on the issue. You could read it too, if facts are of interest. Otherwise carry on….

mrmo
    Free Member

THM, if i called you English scum what would you say caused that? Brexit has created a climate where people now believe that racism is acceptable. The UK is not Italy, it is not France, both have their own issues with racism. The UK had i thought grown up and learnt to accept people. But no Brexit has simply reminded me that a substantial part of the English people are racists and are perfectly happy to insult people because of their heritage.

If you want to create a terrorist treat someone as scum, they will kick off at some point. Alienate people, insult people, and then reap the whirlwind.

DrJ

Thanks for your response, THM. Unfortunately you seem to have missed out answering the bit where I asked where hate crime comes in to the discussion. Or maybe you want to go back and edit that comment too?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

THM, if i called you English scum what would you say caused that?

Ignorance

Brexit has created a climate where people now believe that racism is acceptable.

Not at all and we continue to have legal powers against it. No change there. Racism is not acceptable in the Uk. To suggest otherwiseis simply untrue and scaremongering – a trend is becoming evident here. Is that anything to do with Brexshit?

The UK is not Italy, it is not France, both have their own issues with racism.

Quite, you confirm my point exactly. Thank you. The are also becoming increasing xenophobic protectionist. Why do you think that is?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not at all and we continue to have legal powers against it. No change there. Racism is not acceptable in the Uk. To suggest otherwiseis simply untrue and scaremongering – a trend is becoming evident here. Is that anything to do with Brexshit?

So making things illegal makes them stop? Call the HMP they must be empty.

How do you explain the increase in attacks on legal residents who happen to be not from the UK after the vote. In case you ignored missed it, the facts are and have been very well reported.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

sorry to damage the ego doc, but I also included a response to Mike’s link to hate crime stats.

I agree about alienating people Mrmo – and remember I am one of the few who fully supports FoM – the recent tragic events across Europe indicate that this is not a Brexshit issue. Unless one wants to engage in false scaremongering of course.

binners

Greater Manchester police stats say an increase of 85% in hate crime over the last year

Probably just a coincidence.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No Mike, they indicate (among other things) whether racism is acceptable as was suggested. Evidence is very clear that it is not. It could not be clearer.

But you answered your own question anyway, albeit indirectly.

The stats and their interpretation have been widely reported agreed.

sbob
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

its a talent!

If you think that calling people lil englanders that voted for brexit so they could get rid of foreigners is inacurate, please explain it to me, nice & simple

You couldn’t stop yourself from using the pejorative phrase in a thread about a child’s hat.
    I don’t think voting records or immigration were part of the discussion.
    It’s a strange obsession.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

THM are you just going for side stepping and whataboutery?

Do you have a point or just running around in circles?

DrJ

I also included a response to Mike’s link to hate crime stats.

Aah – I see – so you were just mixing up two completely different points. No wonder you get into such a muddle.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes a very simple one. Racism is unacceptable in the UK. Nothing has changed on that issue.

To suggest otherwise is akin to claiming that leaving the EU will release £350m a week to be spent on the NHS. Are we in that camp now?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s called multi-tasking doc,

A good example would be reading facts as well as posting on STW….preferably before of course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Yes a very simple one. Racism is unacceptable in the UK. Nothing has changed on that issue.

That it is (well unless you read the blacking up thread) but it also on the rise, specifically against EU citizens who the UK government is currently playing with for political reasons. Do you also accept that fact.

DrJ

It’s called multi-tasking doc,

If that’s your best shot at multi-tasking I recommend you stay clear of chewing gum and toilet bowls.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

it is on wth rise Mike, very true, both the numbers and the reporting of it. That does not make it acceptable, as claimed.

Manchester Police also reported a 500% increase after the tragic bombing attack too. So multiple causes explain the rise in hate crime across many countries at the moment. Look at the anti-Indian crime in Aus as another example. To attempt to oversimplify this and to claim that racism is acceptable in the UK is sad and irresponsible.

As for your claim re EU citizens being specifically targeted, it would be interesting to see the stats. You may be correct, but the reporting I have seen suggest that anti-religious (esp Muslim) hate crime may be greater. Neither is acceptable. Neither is condoned.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To attempt to oversimplify this and to claim that racism is acceptable in the UK is sad and irresponsible.

What people are saying is that the way politicians are speaking, the policies that they are putting forward is making people feel that they can be more racist, that their views are “Britain First” when they are really anti foreign. It’s happening, it’s going on, people like the Mail and Express have been at it for years. It’s fairly hard to deny, nobody rational and not racist has said it’s acceptable, many have dodged the question or given a clever little answer to avoid what they really mean.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

people like the Mail and Express have been at it for years.

Ah so not Brexshit related then. Agreed.

nobody rational and not racist has said it’s acceptable

On the contrary it is claimed ^ that we now have a a climate in the UK where people now believe that racism is acceptable. That is untrue (on both counts). It hasn’t and as you and others alluded to, it has always existed in some. It is simply the kind of scaremongering that Brexshiteers were involved in. It should be avoided, it’s not helpful.

mrmo
    Free Member

On the contrary it is claimed ^ that we now have a a climate in the UK where people now believe that racism is acceptable.

Sorry, you’re wrong, we have a climate in the UK where SOME people now believe that racism is acceptable despite the law. Why do they believe this? Because enough people voted for Brexit, because of posters claiming millions of Turks were coming. Because no one has come down like a ton of bricks on the racists.

Edukator
    Free Member

The are also becoming increasing xenophobic protectionist. Why do you think that is?

Because they see that Britain is intent on economic, fiscal and social dumping and don’t want to be dragged into a race to the bottom. France maintains better health care, better working conditions, better access to higher education… and that is maintained by protectionism within the framework of the EU.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry, you’re wrong

only, if you change what you said to…

we have a climate in the UK where SOME people now believe that racism is acceptable despite the law.

That’s better. Nice edit.

Why do they believe this? …. Because no one has come down like a ton of bricks on the racists.

and you were doing so well 😉

So we have recorded increases in both reporting and dealing with racism and hate crime but no one is coming down like a ton of bricks?? 😯

Not quite true is it? Lets see what the Minister (from the government falsely accused) said recently

All forms of hate crime are completely unacceptable and those who commit these awful crimes should be met with the full force of the law. Our Hate Crime Action Plan improved the response of law enforcement and criminal justice system to these horrendous attacks, including ensuring more victims have the confidence to come forward and report such incidents. We are clear that a single hate crime attack is one too many and we will do everything we can to wipe out hatred and division in our communities. We have made an additional £900K available for local projects to tackle hate crime and £2.4M to protect places of worship. Following the Finsbury Park attack we made an additional £1M available to protect faith institutions and associated community centres from hate attacks.

Thanks Ed,

maintained by protectionism within the framework of the EU.

Thats a corker! Chapeau…. 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

So why was no one prosecuted for that Brexit poster with a long line of “immigrants”?

Edit: It’s a corker and you’re laughing, THM. That tells me that you are so rich/selfish/uncaring that you don’t consider the protection the EU has afforded British citizens, especially the poorer hard working ones, a loss.

DrJ

we have a climate in the UK where SOME people now believe that racism is acceptable despite the law

Yes, that is clearly what was meant – it makes no sense to suggest that EVERYONE believes that racism is acceptable. It’s almost as if tiresomebore was just deliberately misconstruing what was written.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edit: It’s a corker and you’re laughing, THM.

Ironically Ed , ironically

That tells me that you are so rich/selfish/uncaring that you don’t consider the protection the EU has afforded British citizens, especially the poorer hard working ones, a loss.

Not at all, I was laughing at your acknowledgement of protectionism. To repeat:

maintained by protectionism within the framework of the EU.

But on the subject of Europe’s poor, and in contrast to your position, I have been highly critical of the pain caused by the core policy/structure of the EU on the “poorer, hard working” citizend of Europe. Its has been a social catastrophe that you seem willing to ignore. Does that make you – what were the words – so rich/selfish/uncaring? You decide…

it makes no sense to suggest that EVERYONE believes that racism is acceptable

Indeed it doesn’t. Well said.

igm

EU protectionist? I’d hope so. What would be the point of an economic members only club that wasn’t?

And I think illegal, espoused unacceptablity and actual unacceptablity are getting confused.
    Speeding on the M62 is illegal, police and politicians might say unacceptable, but probably not unacceptable to the vast majority of the public. Racism isn’t quite the same, but is becoming far more acceptable to a greater number of the public – hence why the government are having to plough money into a rear guard action to tackle it. As noted earlier by THM.

Finally THM, if one of those core policies you refer to is the euro and the financial constraints that go with it, then yes it hasn’t helped really. Wish it had, but they really need to move on to a united states of Europe to make it work – and I think the USE trademark is already taken.

Northwind

Oh dear, that’s peak THM 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

..unlike racism

THM, if one of those core policies you refer to is the euro and the financial constraints that go with it, then yes it hasn’t helped really.

More than that, it exacerbates economic cycles, created unsustainable debt build up across S Europe, devastating unemployment etc

wish it hadn’t

Me too. But “wish” is a good choice of word. It was inevitable by design. It was unavoidable. Still it still had its fans bizarrely….

igm

Wish was carefully chosen

Inevitable by design? Probably. And yet other designs were available. Whether they still are is a different question.

PS – did you really mean it to read like we are still approaching peak racism?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They have to be….

igm

Well failure is always an option…

Edukator
    Free Member

More than that, it exacerbates economic cycles, created unsustainable debt build up across S Europe, devastating unemployment etc

As we have no parallel planet with out the EU/Euro to compare with that really is speculation.

Point by point:
    exacerbates economic cycles: or smooths them depending on you point of view.

Unsustainable debt that is being sustained and in the case of two of the PIGS reduced.

devastating unemployment that is lower than in the UK in the Thatcher years (1982) for the eurozone and is no higher than the countries affected managed periodically before they were full members of the EU or part of the eurozone.

cchris2lou

I dont remember Spain and Italy to have great economies before joining the EU . in fact as a teenager , I used to pick fruits to earn cash in the summer and most of seasonal workers were from southern europe .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Point by point

exacerbates economic cycles: or smooths them depending on you point of view.

No only depends on whether you want to be correct or not. Even good old Dennis Healey understood that back in the 70s when rejecting the earlier ERM folly.

Unsustainable debt that is being sustained and in the case of two of the PIGS reduced.

No it has been merely “transferred’. The economies have been adversely affected by reduction is supply of (NPL legacy) and demand for (over-leveraging legacy) credit. But the excesses of the Euro-induced bubble have been partially addressed at great cost to the inhabitants – especially the poor, hard-working ones.

devastating unemployment that is lower than in the UK in the Thatcher years (1982) for the eurozone and is no higher than the countries affected managed periodically before they were full members of the EU or part of the eurozone.

but much higher in the case of the economies in question on both counts, especially the former.

kelvin

No only depends on whether you want to be correct or not.

What’s the word I’m looking for…?

kelvin

Insufferable?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“former”

(as in the correct answer)

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m nearly lost for words. Dennis Healey has arguably the worst record of any post war chancellor. Perhaps you don’t remember the Winter of discontent, I worked through it.

Viewing 40 posts - 31,761 through 31,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.