Viewing 40 posts - 31,681 through 31,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

What new opportunities are available “elsewhere” to a UK out of the EU that were not available to a UK in the EU?

kimbers

Yep EIB has awarded billions across Europe to univesities and here in the UK, Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh etc
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2016/eib-230216
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0416/280416-european-investment-bank
    http://www.eib.org/infocentre/press/releases/all/2017/2017-206-investment-plan-for-europe-eur-30m-loan-from-eib-for-university-of-latvia-campus-development

list of all 1410 projects theyve helped fund in the UK
    http://www.eib.org/projects/loan/list/?region=1&country=GB
    please tell me which ones you think are a waste ?
    social housing, education, power, water transport infrastructure?

its almost as if they think that education is a worthy investment…

mattjg
    Free Member

Well we fixed that eh? Losers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Japan – the one we will sign quickly after April 2019

Show me the evidence?

binners

Evidence? Just look at his cheeky little smile. Don’t you worry your pretty little head over it. Its all in hand

kimbers

Is fox about to be abducted by aliens?

^^^^

binners

I think he was being rapturously filled with the spirit of Fatcha

zippykona

If you, as a keen cyclist were put in charge of banning cycling would you …
    A. Ban every bit of cycling from the land …or
    B. Try and wangle through us much pro cycling legislation
    as humanly possible?
    Surely as an ardent remainer Enola should be delivering as soft a brexit as possible.
    Does that evil **** slut **** bitch have any position that she won’t flip on.
    How can she be trusted with anything?

binners

I think we’ve long since established that none of the present shower can be trusted with anything other than their own greed and self-advancement.

kimbers

Does that evil **** slut **** bitch

dont hold back!

try & keep it at least moderately civil

cchris2lou

how about answering more pressing issues like the Irish border ?

still nothing Jambalaya ?

kimbers

Is liam Fox about to do some backflips?

zippykona

try & keep it at least moderately civil

I always thought the scousers were a bit out of line with all the parties when thatcher died.
    My apologies have been sent north and I’m keeping my fridge well stocked for the day the Zombie Maygot departs this world.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the other question though come 2019, there is a GE and one party see’s the problems and says we will cancel the process and remain in the EU. Would you vote for them? Would it be democratic?

If that was their only policy then probably not. And no.

Obviously a hypothetical question as it won’t happen, but the choice with the LDs last time was closest in reality. TBH, there are no parties that I vote positively for, and last time it was very much a process of elimination. Who do I least dislike/distrust. I am waiting for the party that commits to reducing their involvement in life and the allocation of scarce resources. Hence with the EU, the appeal to me is the single market and the core four freedoms. The negatives are the the beaucracy that accompanies them and the ultimate folly – the €. Not that this was our problem despite what the Brexshiteers used to claim.

IGM, not sure why you have started making up what people say in order to argue against it. Not your normal style. But to the other questions, yes thanks. Two weeks in California including lots of hiking in Yosemite. Apart from the odd pockets of mega affluence and conspicuous consumption (Pebble Beach) the US had a beaten up feel to it outside the natural majesty. San Fran especially so. San Jose airport is nice though. A nation in decline.

binners
    igm

THM – not making it up, just trying to summarise and understand your position, which is I think somewhat ambiguous at best. However feel free to point out where I’m wrong, I’m just trying to understand where your coming from.
    Yosemite – lovely. Last time I was there I took a 1930s 120 rollfilm camera, red filters and a stack of FPan. Swine to use but when you get it right, photos you feel you could walk into.
    I love San Francisco too, but I know what you mean about a nation in decline – it’s probably where we were about 40-60 years ago as our global significance departed and we looked round for a way to be great again – for us of course it was… ah wait a minute I’m probably not meant to say that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Downloading all the photos later – Sentinel Point at sunset and Nevada Falls at dawn (on way up H Dome) were highlights.

Positions clear: crass idea => argue/vote for remain => accept and move on => negotiate very hard => stand up to EU bullying => anticipate the next version of EU when it arrives => get on with work.

igm

I appreciate it’s clear to you, but not so much to me.

I think I get most of it apart from the negotiate hard bit.
    Negotiate for what exactly; what would a good or acceptable deal look like? And remember Negotiation 101 – there have to be two winners in a bipartite negotiation otherwise both sides will loose eventually.

So simple question on your view point.

Do we have to leave (I think you think yes) and what does leave mean?

If for example, we “left” and remained in the single market and customs union, maintaining the 4 freedoms, with or without club subs, would that be acceptable?

igm

PS – never been up HD.

I did make it to the bottom of the Grand Canyon one time (out of three) and that’s worth doing, but not beautiful.

What’s the walk up like?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Renault own Nissan

except that it doesn’t – I hope the rest of your ‘facts’ are more accurate…

igm

TurnerGuy – it effectively does. Hence why all the senior European Nissan guys I meet are based in Paris (and carry both Nissan and Renault branded stuff). Mitsubishi is part of the same set up too.

The Alliance is a strategic partnership based on the rationale that, due to substantial cross-shareholding investments, each company acts in the financial interest of the other—while maintaining individual brand identities and independent corporate cultures. Renault currently has a 43.4 percent (fully voting) stake in Nissan, and Nissan holds a 15 percent (non-voting) stake in Renault effectively giving Renault control.

Wikipedia

ooOOoo
    Free Member

906 pages!

What a strange year it’s been of British mass debating.

mrmo
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – it effectively does. Hence why all the senior European Nissan guys I meet are based in Paris (and carry both Nissan and Renault branded stuff). Mitsubishi is part of the same set up too.

Renault own Dacia, what spare capacity does Dacia have? Would provide an EU site with cheap labour within the customs union.

igm

They compete internally on each new model as I understand it. Extra tariffs work against Sunderland but £:€ parity will work in Sunderland’s favour. Sunderland is also very efficient (UK workers seem to be when they have foreign management – I should worry about that on a personal basis).
    Whether Brexit is good or bad for Sunderland depends on supply chains, raw materials and where the pound goes longer term.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – it effectively does.

‘effectively does’ is not the same as ‘does’

igm

Agreed. But in this case its close enough.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

igm – Member
    I appreciate it’s clear to you, but not so much to me.

I can’t do much about that. I can’t make it any clearer.

And remember Negotiation 101 – there have to be two winners in a bipartite negotiation otherwise both sides will loose eventually.

That’s the bit the EU historically don’t get and don’t want to get this time in case others vote to leave

So simple question on your view point. Do we have to leave (I think you think yes)

We are leaving. That’s simple too.

and what does leave mean?

Ending membership of the European Union.

If for example, we “left” and remained in the single market and customs union, maintaining the 4 freedoms, with or without club subs, would that be acceptable?

Neither side have put this scenario on the table, for obvious reasons. Both sides have opened with positions that don’t work. From there they – or at least we – will negotiate. So there may be/will be compromises. I have no idea what they will be. But we can pretty sure, what you have laid out will not happen.

My own position is in the minority, so cannot happen. I can live with that though, it’s part of living in a democracy. Sometimes it can be tough, but that’s life. Deal with it….

igm

Didn’t ask if it was on the table, would it meet your definition of leaving?

PS – “Ending membership of the European Union” is ambiguous in itself. There is a fairly clinical definition, but joining EFTA (if they’d have us) lies within that and many wouldn’t feel we’d left in that situation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary, that is the only bit that is definitive. It’s also what we are doing.

The only ambiguity lies in the form of access that we will have to the single market and vice versa once we have left – either in 3/19 or at the end of the transition period (not that this really matters as much as this week’s headlines would have us believe)

There are essentially four “off the shelf” versions of access as we/I have discussed many times earlier. We prefer to have a bespoke deal that has some of the characteristics of each of these (especially two of them) and the EU doesn’t not want to grant this to us for obvious reasons. This is the only source of ambiguity as we do not know what the outcome will be. Hence the negotiations. It really is very simple, other than the details.

But we will have given up membership whatever happens. We had a referendum on that issue.

Edukator
    Free Member

EU doesn’t not want to grant this to us for obvious reasons.

You’ve lost me here between double negatives and the reasons not being obvious enough to spring to mind. I’m not sure who “we” refers to either or what a “bespoke” deal comprises as you don’t state the characteristics that make up such a deal. You’re sounding just like a pro-Brexit politician, THM, lots of words to say nothing at all.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never mind

If it’s not obvious why the EU doesn’t not want to give us what we want, then we should leave it there.

Edukator
    Free Member

But I don’t understand what you want, THM. Four possibilities and a bespoke deal being the best combination of characteristics from all four, which are?

mattyfez

Jeez, I don’t get how people are now blaming the democratic EU for protecting the interests of the members.

Given the UK are being really vague and belligerent about the whole thing.. Put yourself In thier shoes.. They’ve been pretty damn reasonable so far. asking questions like what TF we are doing, and why aren’t we engaged in any negotiations in any meaningful way

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…and until you provide a solution to the problem without an answer, then we will not negotiate on trade

(Masterful non-negotiation)

mattyfez

And we respond with a grinning idiot who’s more interested in sucking the arms off his spectacles than he is in global politics.

Edukator
    Free Member

Let’s say you have a £1500 slate in your gentleman’s club, THM. You then decide to quit the club but would like to go back there for a drink now and then as a guest. What do you think they’re going to ask you to do before considering whether they’ll let you drink there again and under what conditions? That’s right, clear your slate.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What’s your point? There is no disagreement on clearing the skate as you put it.

The only issue is what is on the slate and how that balances with the credit that has also been supplied to “the club”.

mattyfez

The point is the UK government are not engaged in any meaningful discussions, you can’t leave ‘the club’ and then dictate you’re re admission whilst dictating new club rules.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s not what is happening, but carry on.

Edukator
    Free Member

£1500 net, we’ve done our sums. Pay up or the door man will keep turning you away. Pay up and we’ll consider letting you in in future as a paying guest.

Viewing 40 posts - 31,681 through 31,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.