Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Neb

There has been some good discussion from both sides on this thread which is great to see, but am I the only one who is appalled at the ignorance of the general public on the issue?

I wasn’t sure which way I was going to vote and after a large amount of research I’m 100% remain, but I’m happy that other people have different understanding of the issues and might vote the other way. But it really **** me off that members of the public can vote on the basis that “I bet farage is a good laugh in the pub” or “I don’t like the idea of the Syrian migrants landing on our shores, so I’m voting out” I mean – really??!

There should be a voting qualification test before you’re allowed to vote, answer 5 simple questions about the issue, get 80% correct and congratulations, you’re eligible to vote.

Kryton57

That’s one scenario, in my view it’s the future with 100% certainty. You may think differently.

Even you can’t predict the future. You asked me not to base my desicion on the future which I can’t control, yet now you tell me you can predict the future 100%.

THM – if your first example represents Remain or Leave.

allthepies
    Free Member

Pob on Sky News @ 20:00 !

molgrips
    Free Member

There should be a voting qualification test before you’re allowed to vote

No, it shouldn’t be a referendum in the first place.

Kryton57

There should be a voting qualification test before you’re allowed to vote, answer 5 simple questions about the issue, get 80% correct and congratulations, you’re eligible

I agree, always the danger of abstainance is to let the great uneducated vote for our future on such a basis as you describe. It’s why I’m making an effort despite being overtly politics-shy.

allthepies
    Free Member

What would be your approach to selecting people for Jury service ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There should be a voting qualification test before you’re allowed to vote, answer 5 simple questions about the issue, get 80% correct and congratulations, you’re eligible to vote.

That would disqualify Bojo, Gove and IDS immediately. Just look at the VL website.

Kryton – remain (I hope obviously!!). It beggars belief that we would jeopardise a situation where we enjoy many of advantages of the European Union while avoiding many of the disadvantages. The UK has played it well so far with a few close shaves – well done Gordi. Whether this is by luck or judgement is another matter.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

People try to make it complicated in order to misguide

Something both sides are guilty of..

In the BS league table Remain is miles ahead, or should I say kilometers

Cobblers….it’s pretty equal!

Both sides are guilty of telling WHOPPERS…….& if you can’t admit that then you’re just adding another one to the list..

The bottom line is it will boil down to which set of lies & liars are the most palatable, and whether you want to be part of a largely faceless & uncountable organisation. Or do you wish to go it alone adopting a potentially isolationist stance in a largely very uncertain economical & financial global environment.

You pays your money….

See you all on the 23rd!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

welshfarmer

Not sure if this link has been posted already (not been keeping apace with the debate on here). Some proper factual info on some of the (many) myths WRT the UKs EU membership

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Or do you wish to go it alone adopting a potentially isolationist stance take your time and forge new alliances in a largely very uncertain economical & financial global environment.

You pays your money….

FIFY

No wealthy country would join the EU today, none. If it was so great how come Norway or Switzerland has never signed up to the whole shabang ?

Neb

I might also be a little biased, but the Brexit campaign seems to be the lazy option. Those that have done their research or are actively interested in politic/economics tend toward the remain side.

“them bloody foreigners” almost seems to the default answer and it takes a bit of thinking to get past it…

Seems fine as it is, the jurors are spoon fed information by experts, jailed if they don’t show up, bias/racists are actively excluded and you’re likely to be held in contempt if you openly don’t pay attention. It’s a shame the referendum doesn’t follow a similar process!

dazh

“I bet farage is a good laugh in the pub” or “I don’t like the idea of the Syrian migrants landing on our shores, so I’m voting out” I mean – really??!

My brother said he’s voting out because he wants to ensure his 3 year old daughter is safe from terrorists 🙄

mrlebowski
    Free Member

FIFY
    No wealthy country would join the EU today, none. If it was so great how come Norway or Switzerland has never signed up to the whole shabang ?

Which has taken them how long to get to that stage? 20 years? 30 years? No, over 40 I think…..plus they still pay into the EU BUT have NO say…..both sides of the story Jamba.

The utopian future you choose to describe is a very, VERY long way off…..tell the folks back home that side of the coin too..

A touch of honesty goes a long way!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Both sides are guilty of telling WHOPPERS…….& if you can’t admit that then you’re just adding another one to the list..

True

the problem is that remains lies are to exaggerate/overstate the doom/economic fear and brexit are to blame everything on the EU and, have rampant right wing tories, say everything from the NHS to workers rights will be saved if we leave.

The former lies are at least just overstated the later are just old fashioned porkies.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sky for the first personal political broadcast for a hopeful next leader of the Tory party

Started badly!! Continued even worse (so far)

Junkyard
    Free Member

No wealthy country would join the EU today, none. If it was so great how come Norway or Switzerland has never signed up to the whole shabang

More pertinent question are
    1. Why are they in the EEA – makes economic sense
    2. how much access do they get to the shabang without paying? NIL
    3. DO they have to harmonise – YES
    4, DId switzerland manage to negotiate free movement- NO

To save me repeating these ad nauseum shall we just assume you will claim to have answered them already after pages of ignoring them ?

Your claims of what we will get afterwards are fanciful in the extreme

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gove “yes the money {350m) is sent”

A BLATANT LIE

Neb

Not now they wouldn’t, the terms aren’t the same and they wouldn’t get the same say on things that we enjoy. The question is more why would a wealthy country in the position of the UK even think of leaving the EU? I’m certain Switzerland would swap with us in a heartbeat. But then they’ve got the hindsight of being in our position, choosing to leave and suffering a massive recession for 10yrs and begging back in with a much worse deal. They still have freedom of movement, still have the EU standards imposed and still pay €250m a year for no say in any of it!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Is Gove actually going to get a couple of words in without being shouted over?

Neb

I also wonder why people continue to believe Farage. In his job as MEP he is ranked 746 out of 750 in performance. I’m assuming that’s based on time spent, involvement, discussion, etc.

So in his job, he is incompetent or at best, not interested. Why do people still think he knows what he’s talking about?

It’s like taking advice on which stocks to invest in from a stockbroker you know to be crap.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hilarious to watch Gove attacking JPM and GS!

amazing to see him being stuffed so far…

perhaps he will do better when the public gets involved. He is attacking Faisal which shows that he is really rattled

allthepies
    Free Member

Must be watching a different programme to me THM 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

Frankly, that was appalling. I just wanted to switch off. Not a grown up programme, just a point scoring exercise by the so called interviewer. I didn’t hear anything!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gove’s performance was far stronger than Cameron’s yesterday. One interesting pointer from yesterday was how hostile the audience was to Cameon personally (chosen to be 1/3 remain, leave, undecided). We shall see how Gove fares.

@MrLeb – you are ignoring the huge vested interests from the political organisations like the IMF, OECD etc. We understand that the UK being in the EU is better for them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas his biggest achievement so far is to perpetuate a lie. If that is success you guys are deluded. but if fits with the campaign – BLATANT LIE

jambalaya
    Free Member

TMH you see Gove answer that question on the £350m exactky as I do, we pay the money and we cannot rely on the rebate – its not written into the Treaty.

Also Gove making the same point about discriminatory immigration policy that is the EU and oitside we could have a non-racist policy to open access to the rest of the world and those countries who we have strong historical ties

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well he’s now qualified that ‘lie’ THM, so let’s move on!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True Faisal should have shut up – let Gove condemn himself. He was doing his best. His very best.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas – you know very well we dont send that sum of money despite what your website, bus and literature state. If you want to perpetuate the same lie, then that is a shame. You decide…

Gove made his decision live on TV – he was very clear. So we know how much he values the truth. I hope that you value it more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MEP he is ranked 746 out of 750

are 4 of them dead?

he huge vested interests from the political organisations like the IMF, OECD etc. We understand that the UK being in the EU is better for them.

they are international organisations, they are not political, they have no vested interest its just that you object to them stating facts that counter your political viewpoint that has no basis in fact- as shown by the fact neutral agencies say its BS.

Every day more like JHJ- nice to know there are some authorities you wont quote though – sadly its relevant ones

mrlebowski
    Free Member

@MrLeb – you are ignoring the huge vested interests from the political organisations like the IMF, OECD etc. We understand that the UK being in the EU is better for them.

I’m not ignoring anything at all. Secondly, I don’t see the conspiracies you manage to find..

Thirdly…..You are assuming my mind is made up!

Oh, & you dodge questions you don’t like the answers too…..see:

More pertinent question are
    1. Why are they in the EEA – makes economic sense
    2. how much access do they get to the shabang without paying? NIL
    3. DO they have to harmonise – YES
    4, DId switzerland manage to negotiate free movement- NO

To save me repeating these ad nauseum shall we just assume you will claim to have answered them already after pages of ignoring them ?

Your claims of what we will get afterwards are fanciful in the extreme

If, I’m being swayed it’s by the Remain as they are marginally more truthful than Brexit..

The great shame is that this is defining moment in the history of the EU, yet the debate is being acted out like some kind of reality TV show! Nothing more than a mud slinging shouting match……& more’s the pity.

It could have been so much more informative & engaging, it’s no more than a lame political Big Brother..

DrJ

Gove sounds a lot like Jamba without a mountain bike.

Rockape63
    Free Member

As I said some time ago, it’s a positive message from Gove, which I find appealing. It seems the audience does too!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rockape – MTB are on sale at 50% RRP in all shops tomorrow.

A nice positive message and as truthful as the words of Gove. Appealing though.

This is a dry run for being a potential PM and he is as naked as the infamous Emperor. Its not a pretty sight

ninfan
    Free Member

“Spain have said they will shut the border with Gibraltar, what would you do?”

DrJ

More lies about UK residents in EU. Of course they can own property. But can they obtain health care? Are they guaranteed equal taxation status? No.

DrJ

Gove wants to save failing industry?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Take it back – not a hopeful future leader. Categorical. Do we believe him this time?

“the truth is….the truth is… ” no really 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

The whole argument started with 30+ years of anti EU rhetoric, so you have to ask what hope is there!

Then consider that if you want to trade with the EU you will have to follow their rules, the rules that are for a large part already in place in the UK, All the Eurocodes that have replaced BS for example.

How do you stop migration via NI/Ireland border without reintroducing border controls…
    How do you get Trade with the EU or the EEA without following the rules and paying into the pot?
    If you work for a multinational do you really want to risk your job?
    It is clear that you have one groups arguing that no migration whilst another arguing quotas, simple fact is that as long as the economy grows it needs labour. With an ageing population the UK can’t survive without immigration.
    I have yet to hear anything from the brexit camp that addresses anything, all i hear is it will be ok. The proof is where?

Then look at who is pushing, what exactly do they stand to gain, what is their agenda.

Finally since the second world war the UK has rarely come out of negotiation in a strong position, so why would it be any different now?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.