Viewing 40 posts - 31,361 through 31,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers well the election car crash was dreamt up by a few bods who are now long gone. May’s mistake was not consulting the party in particular on the manifesto. The “current bunch” will not make the same mistake again.

TMH I have little doubt the EU are “pretending” hence my long held view our focus should be on new global arrangements. The EU can play catch up later if and when they are ready. My own view is the arguing over the future pay/receive numbers from the EU27 bdget will take up far more of their time than Brexit.

Just read this, all very sensible

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/637748/Future_customs_arrangements_-_a_future_partnership_paper.pdf

kimbers

kimbers well the election car crash was dreamt up by a few bods who are now long gone.

You can actually watch a video of Captain Clueless admitting he was the genius behind it and he still thinks it was a good idea 😯

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-apologise-theresa-may-election-andrew-marr-a7806901.html

kimbers

Yup downloaded the gov document 2nd page is on about free & frictionless …..

Empty soundbites for the empty-headed.
    If only they’d be honest with us.

Are we sure that they got rid of the slogan writers from their election landslide?

oldnpastit

Just read this, all very sensible

It isn’t really though.

Reading that report, it seems to have huge gaping holes in it. And I know nothing about customs.

binners

Asked how a seamless border between Ireland and Northern Ireland will work, a government minister this morning said that they are looking at ‘a high tech IT solution’

Brilliant!

So, as always, we can look forward to a massively complex new government IT system covering all vehicles, produce, people and goods that have to cross the border being in place, fully functioning, on time, and for a modest budget, within the next 18 months?

kimbers

This new non NI border is going to be amazing, it’s basically going to be a completely unmonitored entry point between the EU/UK !

Why are they bullshitting again? The only way you could conceivably do that is to enforce a border round the whole of Ireland.

It’s one or the other, yet still the brexies persist with their fantasies

So, as always, we can look forward to a massively complex new government IT

Like the one we are developing that’s already been flagged as being behind schedule & over budget, BEFORE it was decided to re-task it as the magical answer to brexishambles…?

kimbers

Ahhhhh I wasn’t aware that Davis had enlisted the help of the Fae Folk

If he’d just said this up front !

http://newsthump.com/2017/08/16/uk-brexit-paper-proposes-magic-irish-border-staffed-by-fairies/

jimjam
    Free Member

binners – Member

Asked how a seamless border between Ireland and Northern Ireland will work, a government minister this morning said that they are looking at ‘a high tech IT solution’

High tec IT solution that’s immune to low tech like hammers I assume.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All those at the back not keep quiet, it’s all been thought of and you are just not ready for the info yet.
    We also won’t need to worry as all the rest of the EU will collapse into the sea shortly under the weight of all it’s bureaucracy and debt which will mean Britannia will have more waves to rule.

igm

If the resultant tsunami doesn’t seeep the country clean first.

martinhutch
    binners

Theresa Villiers – former Northern Ireland secretary and hardline Brexiteer has just been interviewed on Five Live about how exactly this is going to work

Her answer – and I’m paraphrasing slightly here – was ‘It’ll all be fine. Trust us. We’ll use, like, really really clever new whizzy IT systems and stuff. Don’t you worry your pretty little heads over it”

So there you go. All sorted!

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect the only thing Brexiteers have less of a clue about than how to solve the problems of Brexit is IT systems. I can only assume they did just copy the idea from Newsthump but replaced “fairies” with “IT system”, because it’s about that level of logical thinking.

binners

When this has just been discussed on 5 Live, EU experts asked for comment on the UK’s position yesterday and today keep using one word repeatedly….

‘Fantasy’

One comment said ‘having your cake, eating it, then telling the EU to get you some more cake

You’d hope that as the cliff edge drifts ever closer that a dose of reality might intrude into the ludicrous la la land of Fox, Davis et al

thejesmonddingo

Ah yes,Britannia waiting for the EU to waive the rules for her..

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect the only thing Brexiteers have less of a clue about than how to solve the problems of Brexit is IT systems.

He knows enough – they should just use Macs. Sorted.

jambalaya
    Free Member

More great economic news today. Rather than the 500,000 (“at least”) job losses predicted by Project Fear the UK has created 157,000 since referedndum and unemployment is down yet again to just 4.4%. Exports have grown 11.4% since June 2016.

#DespiteBrexit

salad_dodger

#NotLeftYet

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, not left yet Jam. Did you think the 500,000 would happen all at once?

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

mrmo
    Free Member

Why are they bullshitting again? The only way you could conceivably do that is to enforce a border round the whole of Ireland.

DUP haven’t been told yet, but the Tories are going for a united Ireland, solves the border issue and any fallout is someone else’s problem.

kimbers

ahh some whataboutery now that brexit is becoming a technical discussion to which brexies have no actual advice to offer….

El-bent
    Free Member

So Euratom, Chlorinated Chicken and now hard IT borders. We are still in the two 2mm tip of that Iceberg I was talking about.

More great economic news today.

News not from Fantasy Brexit land…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

More great economic news today. Rather than the 500,000 (“at least”) job losses predicted by Project Fear the UK has created 157,000 since referedndum and unemployment is down yet again to just 4.4%. Exports have grown 11.4% since June 2016.
    #DespiteBrexit

& delibrately missing one key piece of information.

Because we are cheap & are currently perceived as being good value.

F knows what will happen when Brexit (if) actually happens.

But hey, keep drinking the kool aid & keep on telling only the side of the story that fits your fantasy…

binners

The more this shambles rolls on, the more I’m starting to give some credibility to the idea that they are deliberately trying to engineer a cliff edge, and a catastrophic exit from the EU. I do actually think that this lot believe all the Ayn Rand bollocks about creative chaos, and the principle of Disaster Capitalism

I really think these lunatics are truly unhinged enough to deliberately instigate an absolute economic meltdown (insulated as them and their mates are from the real world effects) so they can then hold up their hands and say ‘but we have absolutely no alternative but to privatise the NHS/rip up workers rights/totally dismantle the welfare state/give away absolutely every state asset to their mates/insert other Tory wet dream of choice.

I mean, seriously….. its surely getting to the point that even these people can’t be so unbelievably, mind-blowingly stupid, right? They have to be doing this on purpose?

tjagain

They are that stupid but not in that way

They know leaving the EU is the only way to get sweatshop britain – their aim. They simply don’t care about the chaos its going to cause. I think its beginning to dawn on a few hence this wishlist from fantasy land which is just laughable.

When will there be an outbreak of sense in our body politic? 500+ mps were remainers when asked pre referendum. they can’t all be as dim as Davie and co and must see the damage being done

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/uk-faces-2bn-fine-over-chinese-imports-scam-say-eu-anti-fraud-investigators

So the UK wants a relaxation of third party customs when outside the EU but can’t follow the rules when inside the custom union.

mefty
    Free Member

Once you follow what actually happens, rather than what “sources say”, everything is following through from the plan laid out in the Lancaster House speech. All perfectly sensible stuff.

kimbers

everything is following through from the plan laid out in the Lancaster House speech. All perfectly sensible stuff.

including the election landslide?

the customs union papers are far from sensible so far, just wishful thinking !

It wasnt ‘sources’ that said scheduling would be the row of the summer (davis 3weeks b4 humbly agreeing EU schedule without a whimper)

Or Johnson agreeing the EU could go whistle days before the gov released a statement saying theyd pay a divorce bill

or Liam Fox saying on Marr last December that a transition deal couldnt be similar to EU membership (until he released his joint statement with hammond last week)

its all going swimmingly!

Just the usual lies to the public while they do something different the Brexiter MO !

mefty
    Free Member

its all going swimmingly!

Indeed, so rare I agree with you.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They know leaving the EU is the only way to get sweatshop britain – their aim.

and yet Corbyn also wants to leave the EU completely – and has implied that the continual supply of cheap labour from the EU has negatively affected workers conditions in the UK.

kimbers

indeed, so rare I agree with you.

I knew Id win you round eventually!

binners

When will there be an outbreak of sense in our body politic? 500+ mps were remainers when asked pre referendum. they can’t all be as dim as Davie and co and must see the damage being done

I’m living in hope that it’s just a case of giving the clowns enough rope

wilburt
    Free Member

How can Southern Ireland collect the EU tariffs on goods entering the union without having a border with Northern Ireland?

binners

They can’t. It’s all completely ridiculous pie in the sky nonsense.

Expect more of it today regarding Freedom of Movement

slowoldman

How can Southern Ireland collect the EU tariffs on goods entering the union without having a border with Northern Ireland?

Fairies with computers apparently.

igm

Leprechauns surely – or is that stereotyping?

kilo

Leprechauns are ideal post-brexit frontier control staff being the son of an “evil spirit”.

Not sure the Presbyterian church would allow them the jobs though.

kimbers

wilburt – Member
    How can Southern Ireland collect the EU tariffs on goods entering the union without having a border with Northern Ireland

The UKs Ireland customs proposal seems to fall apart on this, unless you put a hard border between NI & rUK how can u know what or who is entering/leaving the UK if there no border between NI & Eire?

The are to be no border posts, no cameras? no customs checks, just ‘technology’

Not a single Brexitee has a response to this.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

mefty – Member
    Once you follow what actually happens, rather than what “sources say”, everything is following through from the plan laid out in the Lancaster House speech. All perfectly sensible stuff.

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Indeed, and which requires sensible interpretation….

The Irish border is interesting given that it is a problem without an obvious solution*, other than a sensible application of technology which could have wider benefits – hey, a win, win? More potentially sensible stuff. It’s good this isn’t it?

* why do we think the EU are insisting on placing this ahead of other issues in the scheduling, because they want to avoid/delay negotiating as long as possible. Read Varoufakis…..

martinhutch

You cannot have even some kind of magic mostly-trust-based border between two major European trading nations/blocs without an element of checks and enforcement at every crossing. That means at least the infrastructure of a hard border even if you’re just waving through all but the occasional lorryload.

Either the UK has to suck up freedom of movement in return for tariff-free trade or have a proper border everywhere.

The economic and social downsides for the ROI and NI are scarcely more than the rest of us will experience, the only difference is that if you look at the border there you can actually physically see what is being lost when we cut ourselves off from our closest trading partners.

Viewing 40 posts - 31,361 through 31,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.