Viewing 40 posts - 29,321 through 29,360 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Edukator
    Free Member

It’s part of the other thing which grinds my gears “we must pull together”

Gears on a unicycle?

As for “pulling together”, the last time Brits did that was WWII. There are structural conflicts in British society that mean some people have never pulled together. Brexit has created a new divide which means people are pulling in different directions for one more reason than before. It’s highly divisive. I’m not there to sabotage every company and institution that is openly pro-Brexit but I hope that’s the attitude of remainers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the two parties who received the most votes in the GE both promised Brexshit albeit in possibly different forms

Whilst true its a Non sequitur
    They always get the most votes but to suggest that the result indicates that every voter for them support Brexit [ or the lib dems are only unpopular due to their EU stance] is at best disingenuous and at worst total BS
    Ken clarke is a tory MP for example and he voted against A50 – is he and his voters part of your claim ?

Millions of these parties supporters do not agree with their Brexit stance and people vote how they do for a myriad of reasons and not on this one issue

it was GE it was not a referendum on this issue so please stop claiming it was.

I agree its entirely plausible the EU and thew UK will do a fudge deal but that rather depends on how willing both sides are to compromise
    Currently I see no indication of this from either side

Edukator
    Free Member

I think a significant number of people in Europe are now seeing Brexit as an opportunity, and they aren’t British. Nice fat agencies to pick up, companies needing offices in Europe, companies needing to recentre industrial operations in Europe, poaching markets from British companies handicapped by the loss of EU status… .

Junkyard
    Free Member

YOU NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED YOU

aracer
    Free Member

kelvin

FWIW i dont think they want no deal i think they might have actually believed their own hubris

There are at least four ministers that are a perfect fit for that notion. David Davies being just one.

igm

I’m not there to sabotage every company and institution that is openly pro-Brexit but I hope that’s the attitude of remainers.

I’m doing my best. I don’t think I’ve bought anything from a company or organisation that supported Brexit in th last year.

aracer
    Free Member

Is there a list? Not something I’ve ever done, but happy to join in.

igm

There is. I’ll see if I can find it and post it up.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, if I click on that do I give the DT advertising revenue?

igm

And to be fair while you will have a greater efffrct on small businesses, you are more likely to bump into larger Brexy businesses like Dyson, JCB (both of whom had chips on their shoulders about EU regulations) or Wetherspoons (who decided after the event he was in favour of freedom of movement – but he may have changed his mind again, who knows).
    Patisserie Valerie is probably also borderline Brexy – but it’s also vastly overpriced and not very good, so just avoid on that basis.

aracer
    Free Member

Bugger – have definitely given money to Wetherspoons, and I have no defence as I knew he was a Brexiteer. TBH I’m not sure I can swear not to do so in future either (particularly given I have more pressing local reasons to boycott other pub chains).

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thm, you seem to say we can’t abandon brexit, and then describe one mechanism by which we can abandon it..,

As no-one can work out how to do it (Tories are nuts and labour completely incoherent) it’s not going to happen. Brexit delayed is brexit denied.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Watching our politicians attempting to navigate the choppy waters of Brexit is like watching a gibbon trying to operate the Space Shuttle… Mildly entertaining to begin with but a high chance of a catastrophic outcome.

aracer
    Free Member

My money is on the gibbon

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thecaptain you are over complicating it. We can just leave in April 2019, it’s really not that complicated, those trying to represent it as such have a remainers agenda. Undoubtably for many that would be a shock but my view is it would be a short sharp one and it would allow us to focus our energies globally. The rest of the world manages just fine not being in the EU, no freedom of movement etc etc. Now politics makes things more didficult, compromises, “transition arrangements” etc etc but we most certainly could just leave.

aracer
    Free Member

Not complicated no, it’s just that we’d be completely **** in all sorts of ways and not just for the short term. Anybody pretending otherwise has a brexiteers agenda.

oldnpastit

The rest of the world manages just fine not being in the EU

The rest of the world hasn’t just spent the past 40 years being a part of the EU. And the previous forty millennia being only 26 miles from it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that would be a shock but my view is it would be a short sharp one

Could you quantify that in terms of GDP growth inflation unemployment and time please.

oldnpastit

that would be a shock but my view is it would be a short sharp one

I recall that a previous Conservative government tried to use the “Short, sharp, shock” to “fix” problems with youth justice. It was utterly disastrous then, and it will doubtless be another disaster now.

aracer
    Free Member

150% of GDP, 150 thousand unemployed and 150 years 😈

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah a jamby prediction perhaps as your in Paris so much a cake stand at Versailles, might not be a bad idea

thecaptain
    Free Member

Jamby, among many others I’m still waiting for a plausible solution to the NI problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

Undoubtably for many that would be a shock but my view is it would be a short sharp one

If you don’t come up with any evidence for that belief then no one is going to believe you, given you are saying the opposite of what we are seeing.

You need credibility.

sr0093193
    Free Member

The rest of the world manages just fine not being in the EU, no freedom of movement etc etc.

Manages just fine how?

Because there’s nowhere I can think of comparable in size to the UK, with our limited natural resources, reliance on foreign low skilled workers etc that has a standard of living that’s even remotely similar?

Obviously when your floating around in your yacht and the only interest you have in the rest of society is how much more money you can rape out of them I can see how you’d think that. But perhaps try takng your head out of your arse before you choke on your own shit and realise not everyone is in the same privileged position you are.

milleboy
    Free Member

Undoubtably for many that would be a shock but my view is it would be a short sharp one

How short? 20 years? Guess Nissan and the city of London will be long gone by then. It’s an insane idea.

My wife is pretty good, not perfect, and getting on a bit, perhaps I should kill her, go to jail for 15 years, and get a better one when I get out? That sort of plan?

Brexit, it’s not getting better with age is it?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I have noticed over the last 50 year’s that economic misery (recessions etc) now arrive almost out of the blue and hang around a lot longer – its taken the best part of 10 years to recover from 2008. So based upon that alone a WTO style brexit is likey to take 10 year’s as a minimum to recover to current standards of living. So in broad terms that’s 2008 to 2028 to break even, 20 years? And if i add in 76 to 86 that means 30 years of my working life have been sonewhat challenging.

mrmo
    Free Member

I am sure upthread there was something about it being a couple of decades and that your children’s children would benefit????

Maybe i am miss remembering.

DrJ

Oh my god – the grinning idiot is on Marr.

Klunk
    Free Member

I think we should have a referendum on the death penalty. And when its voted through by 37% of the population we should force the other 63% to witness the executions and give a rousing cheer at every death as anything else would be unpatriotic.

dannyh
    Free Member

Have we done Amber Rudd saying that reporting on the Brexit farce should be more patriotic?

Honestly? I know that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, but she is too thick to be a scoundrel, so she must just be an idiot.

Is this what it has come to? Not being allowed to comment on this fiasco as it might be deemed unpatriotic?

We need someone to have the balls to stand up and say “we get it, Brexit was a lashing out against liberalism, but it is just plain wrong and will damage the UK, perhaps irreparably”. Maybe we could have a second referendum and if the vote is ‘remain’ we could offer a national ‘Racism is OK Day’. Just one day of the year (23rd June has a nice ring to it) where it is ok to be overtly racist, just to allow ‘the people’ to feel they are taking back control. Of course there would be uproar when you couldn’t get served down the local tandoori because racism cuts both ways, but hey…….

epicyclo

dannyh – Member
    …and if the vote is ‘remain’ we could offer a national ‘Racism is OK Day’. Just one day of the year (23rd June has a nice ring to it) where it is ok to be overtly racist, just to allow ‘the people’ to feel they are taking back control…

I think you have just laid the groundwork for “The Purge”. 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s ok, just recognise it as the last desperate thrashing about in panic as they realise they’ve lost the argument, not because they were outwitted by skilled opponents, but because they were wrong from the start.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The rest of the world manages just fine not being in the EU

Just fine for who, what does that even mean, probably one the most cretinous things Jambalaya has come up with – I can only imagine that individuals in huge swathes of the rest of the world can only dream of having the rights and protections afforded by the EU to its citizens. The EU is not perfect by any means but it is undoubtedly a civilising influence.

I think

how much more money you can rape out of them

sums up those for whom its just fine. Economic rapists – good term with their regulatory bonfires. I was going back through some old papers recently and came across some pices i’d kept about the Bhopal disaster and I imagine things like that continue to this day (the Primark sweatshop disasters come to mind oil pollution in part of Africa etc)who’s doing just fine – joe bod Indian /Bangladeshi/Nigerian etc – I think not.

‘Doing just fine’

codybrennan
    Free Member

oldmanmtb – Member – Block User – Quote
    I have noticed over the last 50 year’s that economic misery (recessions etc) now arrive almost out of the blue and hang around a lot longer

Historically, Marx predicted this and said that what you are experiencing would herald the end of Capitalism, as the economic cycles ran closer and closer together, but was vague on timelines and thought that expansion of capitalism would delay this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_theory

He was critiqued by Rosa Luxemburg, who wrote “The Accumulation of Capital”:

“….capitalism needs to constantly expand into noncapitalist areas in order to access new supply sources, markets for surplus value, and reservoirs of labor.

According to Luxemburg, Marx had made an error in Capital in that the proletariat could not afford to buy the commodities they produced, and therefore by his own criteria it was impossible for capitalists to make a profit in a closed-capitalist system since the demand for commodities would be too low, and therefore much of the value of commodities could not be transformed into money.

Therefore, according to Luxemburg, capitalists sought to realize profits through offloading surplus commodities onto non-capitalist economies, hence the phenomenon of imperialism as capitalist states sought to dominate weaker economies. This however lead to the destruction of non-capitalist economies as they were increasingly absorbed into the capitalist system. With the destruction of non-capitalist economies however, there would be no more markets to offload surplus commodities onto, and capitalism would break down.

The Accumulation of Capital was harshly criticized by both Marxist and non-Marxist economists, on the grounds that her logic was circular in proclaiming the impossibility of realizing profits in a close-capitalist system, and that her “underconsumptionist” theory was too crude.[28] Her conclusion that the limits of the capitalist system drive it to imperialism and war led Luxemburg to a lifetime of campaigning against militarism and colonialism.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Luxemburg#The_Accumulation_of_Capital

Hmm.

DrJ

Have we done Amber Rudd saying that reporting on the Brexit farce should be more patriotic?

It was actually Andrea Loathsome, but it’s an easy mistake to make. These idiots are more or less interchangeable.

dannyh
    Free Member

The thing about Brexit that pissed me off the most (and there are a fair few bits) is how this makes us look to the majority of the world’s citizens.

It’s like a spoiled child turning around and flinging their entire upbringing back in their parents face because they got the wrong X Box game on Christmas morning.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I am sure upthread there was something about it being a couple of decades and that your children’s children would benefit????

Maybe i am miss remembering.

To be fair to jamba, he tends to revise down mostly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No not always, I predicted a Remain win initially then revised up to a Leave result 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 29,321 through 29,360 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.