Viewing 40 posts - 28,921 through 28,960 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No such thing as a “pro Remain” Labour candidate

Liar liar, pants on fire.

Of course there is. I just voted for one. She increased her majority from 4k to 13k, despite UKIP standing down after 7.5k votes last time round.

This was a constituency relatively high on the Tory hit-list which would see them on their way to a:

150 majority

😆

Northwind

Oops, bin dun.

molgrips
    Free Member

I see more opportunity in new global trade deals

I’m not interested in attacking you Jam – I honestly would like to know what things lead you to think this, in the spirit of constructive discussion.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

We’re all human Jambers, even Junkyard (although some scientists disagree on this) 🙂

Admitting you’re wrong now and then is a positive character trait.

You’re an intelligent bloke and different perspectives are always welcome.
    I’ve changed my mind on lots of things because I respect the opinions of people I know from here.

A bit of humility goes a long way and I bet you’d be surprised at the reaction.

Northwind

Rusty Spanner – Member

We’re all human

Except chewkw obviously

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly what some of us were suggesting on here very recently, yet only 3 days ago jamba wrote:

Nice to see (as he appears to have given up relying on that in his response to Macron’s statement) he’s also admitted he was wrong about that.

At which point I’ll also admit I’ve realised I might have been wrong (though I’m probably joined with most others on this thread and in the wider world on this one). When Maybot says “no deal is better than a bad deal” she’s not actually referring to completing Brexit with no deal…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to intimidate members

This should be a really big clue as to who holds the power in negations really.

Pigface
    Free Member

Jamba I very much doubt it was a request from me, you had me banned for a month, or is that something else you have conveniently forgotten.

DrJ

Jamba’s endless repetition of porkies is one of the things that make political threads on STW so very tedious.

igm

I think the peak of the far right has been passed for now.
    Austria was the first clue, then France and in the States they are busily disassembling Trump’s team (probably lame duck him rather than impeach) – it’s just up to Britain to do its bit and clear up the Brexit mess.

igm

He wouldn’t be saying that if he didn’t think we wanted back in. Think about it.

The Brexies have messed this country up badly. Decades before we recover from their stupidity.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The vast majority of rest of the world trades very nicely with the EU under WTO, as would we

very nicely for who?

kimbers

Saw the verhhofstadt comments, wonder if British ministers have been sounding it out?

molgrips
    Free Member

The vast majority of rest of the world trades very nicely with the EU under WTO, as would we.

But the vast majority of the world hasn’t spent 40 years building tightly integrated trading networks with business relying on each other only to have it all torn up in a matter of months. I think that if you took any country and disrupted its trading partnerships this much it would struggle.

Beginning to think you don’t really understand what is about to happen Jam.

grahamt1980

Any pharmaceutical products made in the uk will need a primary testing lab in Europe, which will likely mean that most companies will move their labs to within bloc.
    That’s going to cause some big issues.
    Am expecting to move to Europe within the next 5 years when we set up within block

molgrips
    Free Member

Imagine having someone who knew nothing about your job suddenly force you to completely hanger how you do business.

Now Jam will probably say that THE EU forces his business to work a particular way, but that is not quite the same thing. He has regulations enforced for real reasons. And his industry has always had regulations. Grahamt1980’s employer will be caused big problems because some other people don’t like immigrants.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Am expecting to move to Europe within the next 5 years when we set up within block

It’s ok, because jamba told us that the visa system would be a doddle. You’ll be alright.

Unless we’re still in by then. 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

He wouldn’t be saying that if he didn’t think we wanted back in. Think about it.

Agreed, do the EU want the problem child back? Really?

kimbers

Agree with Graham, loss of EU funding already hitting life science,

Los of funding from drug companies and maybe even more importantly collaboration will be very hard on labs dependent on access to in development drugs.

Worrying times for UK life sciences

kimbers

Very amusing, but sadly accurate article about the UKs moment of madness

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/15/britain-brexit-europe-populism-eu

It is now obvious that there was not a plan A, or a plan B, or a plan C, as the government’s incapacity to begin negotiations with a clear strategy demonstrates. The 27 member states, in a hurry to get the whole thing over with, still have not the slightest clue what London wants or how exactly it intends to sever the UK’s extremely complex, 44 year-old legal ties with the EU.

Here we near the sublime: Brexit could amount simply to Britain losing its influence in Brussels, giving up its voice – basically, surrendering its sovereignty without benefiting from any shared sovereignty to limit the coming economic disaster. That’s what’s called political and diplomatic suicide, especially when you remember the unique position the UK had managed to carve itself out in the EU and its influence in Brussels.

Now we can really see why the citizens of the old continent are not too keen on following Britain’s example. And we can understand, too, why all of Europe is quietly sniggering at the sorry spectacle of the worn-out old British lion: this week, Emmanuel Macron even allowed himself the luxury of reminding Theresa May, during her visit to Paris, that “the door will stay open, as long as the negotiations are not over”.

chestrockwell

then I can show you dozens of subsequent posts with 75-100 which matched all the “experts”

So you admit that your considered estimate was actually just what some experts had said (Thought we’d had enough of experts?)?

In that case can you stop spouting off guff as if you dreamt it up and instead just say which expert told you that?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@deadly I didn’t say the visa system would be a doddle. It should be hard to the into the UK, there are very very many people who want to come here from all over the world

Negotiations start on Monday

Leave Means Leave have publsihed an analysis of how much better off we will be without a deal with the EU. Freeing us from unecessary tariffs and irrelevant regulations. £120-150bn pa

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chest I posted before I looked at the analysis which showed the UKiP swing to Tories in Labour’s Northern seats as the key driver. Labour kyboshed that by stating clearly they would end freedom of mivement and hence withdraw from THE single market. As Farage said that put Labour on the same “hard Brexit” page as Tories

aracer
    Free Member

cite

molgrips
    Free Member

irrelevant regulations

Examples?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Leave Means Leave have publsihed an analysis of how much better off we will be without a deal with the EU.

Well that should be an interesting read is there anything suggesting anything like this from someone who does not want us to leave – you know someone impartial?

TBh that “report” is basically nuts

It makes some strange assumptions – all taken from leave sites/believers and their “research” – and then extrapolates them whilst ignoring the reality

For example it claims the cutting of EU red tape will give an immediate 2.5% boost to the economy whilst accepting laws wont change initially and there will be resistance to the changes they want. Yes its that poor folks

Its politically motivated tosh masquerading as research or a report with pretty basic errors in it – BS basically It also reads terribly and is pretty low quality in terms of the style and content. Its many things but academically rigorous [ or relevant] is not one of them.

http://www.leavemeansleave.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Enterprise-report-.pdf

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for doing the legwork JY – I suspected* as much but CBA reading it.

*knew damn well

El-bent
    Free Member

Examples?

Building regs, Fire regs, that sort of thing?

milleboy
    Free Member

Leave Means Leave have publsihed an analysis of how much better off we will be without a deal with the EU.

Any noble prize winning economists on there?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No probs
    PS sent you a PM on here please reply or I will have to use the other channel to get you !!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Building regs, Fire regs, that sort of thing?

Too expensive to enforce.

Because of some serious big swinging dick move we’re about to pull.

Meanwhile, negotiations set to start Monday. No government. No majority. No plan. A dearth of negotiating talent. You couldn’t make this shit up. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

JY – YGM, sorry for not replying sooner!

kimbers

They’ve just had to swap around MPs at early GE Davis’s ministry of Brexit amid talk of chaos…

Had a browse of jambas comic, yeah mostly unverified assertions, certainty not properly referenced or backed up with any statistics. Especially the financial benefits of deregulation, (I think this week we’ve all seen what reducing regulation can lead to)

Quite keynsian though with its infrastructure stimulus, that seems to eclipse EU payment benefits although as THM would point out, not investing from a position of economic strength, sounds like a big hit to the deficit

Some glaring lack of detail to especially regards research & Development, also no mention of increased legal costs and expansion of civil service to replace what we currently farm out to the EU

Some good discussion points but Yeah it’s just uncosted partisan Fantasyland for the most part

mrmo
    Free Member

The only way Brexit can “work” is with huge injections of money, issue is how poor will people accept being before they kick off. A large component of recent elections has been anti tories and anti austerity.

cornholio98
    Free Member

That document at a quick scan (at least the first part) sounds like they want to set up a managed economy where the government makes sure essential industries are funded and staffed. This will be paid for from the new focus on being an export economy. Not sure if they are thinking services or goods.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

All the euro red tape was stifling our economy apparently….

Just wait till the shackles are off (or on depending where you sit in the supply chain)

This time next year….

I do look on this with something of “ah well you voted for this” inflation at 3%, pay rises at **** All, interest rates will rise this year – so assuming I can add up 3% + no pay rise + 3% on an average mortgage = exactly £2000 (made this up but it’s probably not far off) less money per annum for the average bod?

So if we extrapolate this out for 10 years that means most “Jams” will be queing at food banks. Going to be shed loads of min wage jobs though..

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Also Mrs May didn’t want to talk to the great unwashed today during her visit to Grenfell Tower as she had to scurry off to placate the Northern Irish politicians who are not in the DUP…

She makes Maggie look warm hearted

kelvin

He added that he is “as much in the dark as anyone else” about Brexit.

Probably no need to read any further than that.

Viewing 40 posts - 28,921 through 28,960 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.