Viewing 40 posts - 27,761 through 27,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mt
    Free Member

I see the Tour de Yorkshire is on this weekend. I note that our future Yorkshire prime minister Gary Verity is involved. So it will be renamed the Freedom Tour de Yorkshire.

GrahamS

Well I suppose the good thing in that article is:

The EU will “for sure” reach a free trade deal with the UK after Brexit, EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom said, shortly after Mrs Merkel spoke.

[Mrs Merkel] went on to say “we are also ready to make a fair offer to British citizens in Germany and the rest of Europe.
    “They are an important part of our community and should remain so.”

The bad thing.. well. just read the Comments!
    As expected, talk of the EU being “bullies” and plenty of mentions of the war 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The results in various elections and referendums have shown that social media is a useless indicator of public sentiment.

As is whatever source from which May’s speechwriters are getting her opinions.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As expected, talk of the EU being “bullies” and plenty of mentions of the war

**** is un unreliable indicator of public sentiment.

[Insert media of choice for anyone who believes May when she says we’re all coming together.]

StefMcDef
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

It’s remarkable that May keeps repeating that the UK is coming together, as though her wishes might actually make it a reality.

Who does she think she is kidding?
    The vitrol on social media only send to have got worse!

I happened to spend a few minutes “below the line” on a Channel 4 News post on facebook about Gina Miller launching her tactical voting drive yesterday.

Completely and utterly dispiriting. Every species of ignorance, stupidity, jingoism, racism, mysogyny and swivel-eyed paranoia you can imagine, loudly and openly proclaimed. I was really hoping half of them were bots because it’s not a half of the country I could ever see myself “coming together” with.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

On BBC item.

1429. Posted by Tony Pearce on 17 minutes ago

The first Brexit Vote was so divisive in the Country, with Families split and even Weddings called off because the couple disagreed. The last thing we need is yet another vote on it.

With…. 5 up votes, 5 down votes.

Made I laff. 😀

kerley
    Free Member

The results in various elections and referendums have shown that social media is a useless indicator of public sentiment.

Except the complete opposite of that.

https://www.brandseye.com/news/accurately-measured-social-media-calls-trump-and-brexit-as-polls-fail/

oldnpastit

Maybe we need partition? Like India? It worked out OK for them (kinda).

kimbers

Completely and utterly dispiriting. Every species of ignorance, stupidity, jingoism, racism, mysogyny and swivel-eyed paranoia you can imagine, loudly and openly proclaimed. I was really hoping half of them were bots because it’s not a half of the country I could ever see myself “coming together” with.

THIS, VERY MUCH THIS
    I find it amazing that so many people openly post so much racist and sexist bile on the internet, Im not sure if brexit has emboldened this, but you can guarantee that a post about corbyn/diane abbot/gina miller etc will descend into something quite nasty quite quickly

mefty
    Free Member

Except the complete opposite of that.

Company comes to conclusion that its services are valuable?

slowoldman

So it will be renamed the Freedom Tour de Yorkshire.

Will foreigners still be invited to participate or will it be an all Yorkshire affair?

igm

BMC were parked outside the meeting I was in today.

Lots of shiny orange bikes and many washing machines.

Back on topic in a bit I’m sure.

Oh yes…

Blinking Swiss teams coming over here putting hard working British teams Team Wiggo out of a job

piemonster

find it amazing that so many people openly post so much racist and sexist bile on the internet,

They don’t always realise/accept that’s the case.

You missed out bigotry btw, don’t forget that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I will take the EU Trade commisioners comments witn a big grain of salt. With French and German elections the EU needs to be sending two messages, the UK will be paying a big bill (so you don’t have to), we will have a tariff free trade deal with the UK so your exports don’t suffer.

@milleboy Merkel has an election to fight, she can’t be having the German public believe the UK might walk away paying nothing and reverting to WTO tariffs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I will take the EU Trade commisioners comments witn a big grain of salt.

#irony

milleboy
    Free Member

@milleboy Merkel has an election to fight, she can’t be having the German public believe the UK might walk away paying nothing and reverting to WTO tariffs.

I don’t think the Germans think we are quite that stupid…………

mrmo
    Free Member

MerkelMay has an election to fight, she can’t be having the GermanUK public believe the UK might walk away paying nothing and reverting to WTO tariffs.not get to have their cake and eat it

kerley
    Free Member

Maybe we need partition?

Would be worth trying if it wasn’t such a logistical nightmare. In theory people of similar ideals would be living together and much more content. No doubt the right wing side of the country would run of of people to abuse so would have to go to war with the pacifist left wing side ending in right wing dictatorship not much different from today…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I feel the same when I look at lefty posters on items about the Tories or Israel

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait – lefty posters about Israel? Really?

jambalaya
    Free Member

#irony

Why @dd the EU is the ultimate in in purely political organisations genereally staffed and lead by politicians who have failed at home.

cchris2lou

@ Jambalaya , all news report today say that Macron responded very well yesterday and what could have been a pr disaster , turned into a win .

piemonster

Why @dd the EU is the ultimate in in purely political organisations genereally staffed and lead by politicians who have failed at home.

750 MEPs, I look forward to you evidencing your claim. Until then I’m labelling this as at best, confirmation bias, but more likely just good old fashioned prejudice.

I await your evidence of “generally”

molgrips
    Free Member

Jam, honestly, you are leting your prejudice colour your opinions.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why

You. Advising anyone to take someone else’s statements with a pinch of salt.

I said this before on this thread, but we are beginning to see the EU machine getting up to speed. It’s been getting its act together (and not opaquely either) for the last few months while you lot have been tub thumping and telling your delusional supporters that you’re going to shaft the EU and leave them begging our great nation for mercy.

Trouble is, the EU is looking more and more pro-Brexit as the months wear on. And you lot are showing all the predicted signs of losing control of a negotiation that, for some reason, you thought would be a piece of piss.

But it’s ok, eh? They need us more than we need them, and if (I’m not quite at “when” yet) it all goes wrong, it’s easy, you’ll just tell everyone it’s all the EU’s fault. Like a toddler unhappy with the selection of toys at pre-school, you’ve smashed it into the ground in frustration and you’ll look to everybody else to blame and then buy you a new one.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

the EU is the ultimate in in purely political organisations genereally staffed and lead by politicians who have failed at home.

Like this charlatan with seven failed attempts at being elected an MP behind him.

Think you might be on to something.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just watched Macron, on one occasion I preempted his reply to a question “quelle attitude face à Berlin”

We aren’t “face à Berlin”, Germany is a partner.

He performed better than I hoped.

As Chris notes, the Whirlpool visit was a win for Macron according to TF1.

Edukator
    Free Member

I also considered what I’d have expected if the question had been “quelle attitude face à Londres”. My reply would have been:

Avec le Brexit on est face à une concurrence déloyale, Londres se lance dans une politique de dumping fiscale et dumping social. L’union Européenne a pour objectif de defendre les acquis de ses citoyens qu’ils soient menacés par un voisin ou un pays lointain.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As Chris notes, the Whirlpool visit was a win for Macron according to TF1.

Oh come on the French media is so biased left/centre it’s not true. I have no doubt Macron will win but Le Pen will IMO score 40%, thays pretty stunning really.

EDIT: Edukator with US corporate tax rates going to 15% I think the UK is bound to follow.

@dd well we will have to disagree then. The EU is dragging it’s heals hoping to string Brexit out to keep the UK contributions rolling in, it knows free trade is in it’s favour (even without a budget contribution) so again stringing it
    out is for the good. I am sure the EU has taken a big deep breath as it looks like the Frexit scneario is receeding. An EU without UK and France would be nothing at all. Nothing much will happen till October when the German elections have been concluded, this is just the “phoney war”

kimbers

yeah then the negotiations can start properly…..

hows that gonna look again?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3uVjGppME[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

I also considered

did you consider that we are not all fluent in French ?

oldnpastit

Jamby – member

Merkel has an election to fight, she can’t be having the German public believe the UK might walk away paying nothing and reverting to WTO tariffs.

What is the position on Brexit of the various German parties (SPD, CDU, etc) ?

SPD seem to be saying we can’t just have our cake and eat it.

If all of the parties are offering more-or-less the same thing, then we could easily find ourselves relying on WTO rules, since voters won’t be able to express a desire for anything different (even if they wanted to).

Edukator
    Free Member

Type “babelfish” into google search and copy-paste the text:

Avec le Brexit on est face à une concurrence déloyale, Londres se lance dans une politique de dumping fiscal et dumping social. L’union Européenne a pour objectif de defendre les acquis de ses citoyens qu’ils soient menacés par un voisin ou un pays lointain.

becomes

With Brexit we’re faced with unfair competition, London embarked on a fiscal policy of dumping and social dumping. L\\\’ European union is intended to defend the gains of its citizen

which is pretty good. Only “gains” fails to convey the meaning of “hard fought for social progress”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Type “babelfish” into google search and copy-paste the text:

is it not just easier if you use English on this English language site?

I shall use as you suggest if you continue

Edukator
    Free Member

European thread talking about French affairs using vocabulary that’s international. Strategic competence gets you 90% of the meaning. I don’t do it often.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Reasonable points but we are not all as linguistically blessed as you [ or computer skilled either]…I struggle enough with English as it is 😉

I shall translate if you continue or feel its relevant and dont think you are doing it to annoy but the point of communication is to make oneself understood ; it loses a lot of marks on that front

Del

now jamba. any comment on the 25% uplift in cost for my customer under wto vs another within the eu? or is this just another inconvenient fact you’d rather ignore?

hi again.

cchris2lou

I am not that convinced that Macron victory is guaranteed.

I also dont think à FN victory would be such a disaster.
    Without députés, she could not form a government, and we will have a coalition.

Edukator
    Free Member

Macron has the same problem. Some names from other parties have defected to him but there are still personalities in all the other parties that generate a consensus in their home areas. Enough to stop him getting an overall majority.

A lot will depend on who leads the Republican campaign and how many of Fillon’s fascho policies they maintain. Drop sacking 500 000 fonctionnaires, the “manif pour tous” content, tax the poor(edit and middle classes) with TVA and they will be in a strong position.

Viewing 40 posts - 27,761 through 27,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.