Viewing 40 posts - 27,721 through 27,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

All the inconvienient facts will be ignored. Like those who might vote Le Pen because they like her approach now she is trying not to associate as much with facists and nazi’s and as previously posted the very real change the FN were defrauding the state in a massive and centrally organised way.
    The whataboutery is still at a huge level in the world.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

This export bonanza, caused by the drop in the value of the country pound, where is it?

Had a mooch but it’s been a long time since i did any economics and the stuff from the OFS suggests (to me) that it’s not happened, but i could be just looking at the graphs upside down.

Does anyone know? Is the UK now shuttling tea and cakes to Johnny Furener in unimaginably copious quantities?

binners

As an update: Everyones favourite former Tory leadership contender Michael Gove is being interviewed on Five Live. He’s saying that when he said £350 million a week. It’ll probably actually be £100 million.

He’s not saying where he’s getting his figures, but as he’s a shameless snivelling, lying, self-serving little cockweasel honourable, intelligent and honest man, who has been a font of truth throughout, so I’m sure he’s right.

You really would never tire of punching him, would you?

mefty
    Free Member

This export bonanza, caused by the drop in the value of the country pound, where is it?

Exports are doing very well, growth in most sectors.

epicyclo

Who is benefitting from this “export bonanza”?

Large corporations who don’t pay tax?

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Powerful and detailed data on that site, mefty. That will certainly silence those that doubted the cash-u-copia of exports would off-set the “imported” inflation.

The fact that “UK exports of salmon to France up by 31%” “last year” (page dated 21st Feb 2017) is a devastating blow to the remoaners.

Taken a weight of me, that data has.

More millions in the freedom bank, every day.

EDIT: the sort of thing i was hoping for is like this

To me, the BoP does look like it moved favorably from S^^^ to just cack, in the last Q of 2016, but its been a long time since school. Interested to see if it continues to “improve” as other stuff on ONS suggests it’s not going so chirpy for Q1 this year.

oldbloke
    Free Member

The fact that “UK exports of salmon to France up by 31%” “last year” (page dated 21st Feb 2017) is a devastating blow to the remoaners.

The only difference Brexit has made to that is the GBP value we get, not the appetite to sell it to France. The rise is more down to poor market prices the prior year than any Brexit revival.

Brexit isn’t looking good for us right now.

mefty
    Free Member

Clearer on this Tradin Economics/ONS graph

kelvin

Can we see that chart in $ ?

GrahamS

Or in Intl$ ?

Pound has dropped in value, so even if level of exports stayed exactly the same their value in GBP would go up.

johnners
    Free Member

Clearer on this Tradin Economics/ONS graph

Looks clear that the post-vote pound nose-dive made foreign currency receipts convert to more Sterling, yes.

edit:as pointed out by 2 other people (so far) above

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Thank you mefty, but is that goods and services – is there a link for more context? (“no reporting without context”)

Edukator
    Free Member

So British exports measured in pound have risen, by not as much as the pound has fallen.

A more reliable source than Mefty’s order-order.

slowoldman

It’s going down on the graph and seems to end before 2017. Where are the current figures?

GrahamS

Those are the latest figures on that site: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports (select 5yr and Spline for mefty’s chart)

There is a bit more here:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade

kimbers

we are just about to start a large scale cancer genetics study

over a 1million sequencing budget is huge for us,
    trouble is we can now afford to do 15% less sequencing than we planned on, to try and keep the power we’d like

weve been getting quotes from all over the place- literally, it now looks like rather than using institutes in london, cambridge or edinburgh as wed planned, we will have to collaborate with a large chinese institution who want scientific credit in the study, we will have to be very careful with the contract!

Trouble is almost everything we buy has risen by a similar amount, so we are having to look at everything very carefully
    But at least we are finding ways round the brexit pounding of the pound

the worry is how much lower is it going to go?

brooess
    Free Member

Exports are ok because the global economy, and the EU are ticking along ok, therefore keeping demand high not because the UK has boosted it’s desirability as a country to trade with…

The people I know who voted out are all, at various times, grasping hold of all kinds of random proof points to try and make their case, rather than admit they may have made a poor decision. Unfortunately, because the quality and reliable data sources contradict their beliefs, all they have to show for it is lousy stuff like that link above, or just wild, subjective claims…

I went to an Experian seminar yesterday where a team of senior economists gave us a data-driven analysis of the UK economy and the impact of Brexit – which was a) well-sourced and b) bearish – negative impacts from imported inflation and reduced immigration especially. Their case was about as well-informed and compelling as you can get…

So what does my idiot Brexit-voting boss say when she gets back to the office (in a company which is officially and publicly pro-Remain and stands to suffer quite seriously from Brexit)? “I disagreed with their view on Brexit”… like she thinks her judgement exceeds the informed view of experienced professional analysts! Shockingly stupid, and too stupid to keep quiet about it…

GrahamS

grasping hold of all kinds of random proof points to try and make their case

The Remain camp is just as guilty of this I think.

(speaking as a Remainer myself)

brooess
    Free Member

The Remain camp is just as guilty of this I think.

(speaking as a Remainer myself)

Yes – as is the case in every argument – but in this specific debate, Remainers didn’t make some massive decision impacting the whole country both now and in the future on the back of spurious evidence, plus ALL the well-informed sources suggest that Brexit will have a negative impact and is already doing so… there simply isn’t any compelling evidence to support the Leave case, only sentiment…

For e.g. my boss could only refute Experian’s view with ‘I think’, she doesn’t have an alternative data-based analysis – because there isn’t one to support her position…

molgrips
    Free Member

Confirmation bias innit.

mefty
    Free Member

ALL the well-informed sources

This isn’t true at all – there are some very good economists on the leave side, such as Gerald Lyons, Patrick Minford etc. Patrick Minford’s analysis of trade is fascinating and completely counter intuitive – whether he is right is another matter.

The down slope re exports seems to be common at beginning of year, unlike most ONS figures these are not seasonally adjusted.

kimbers

So Putin reckons lepen is a safer bet than Trump…

Brexit has been a big win for Vladimir so helping lepen obvious next step

oldnpastit

mefty – Member

ALL the well-informed sources

This isn’t true at all – there are some very good economists on the leave side, such as Gerald Lyons, Patrick Minford etc. Patrick Minford’s analysis of trade is fascinating and completely counter intuitive – whether he is right is another matter.

These people seem to think he isn’t right:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexiteers-economists-for-brexit-patrick-minford-study-doubly-misleading-eu-uk-trade-deal-tariff-a7691271.html

Professor Winters also points out that the modelling of Minford’s group bizarrely assumes the EU will waive its standards on goods imports from the UK post-Brexit, which implies precisely the sort of deep trade deal which the Economists for Brexit have been consistently arguing that the UK does not need to bother pursuing.

kelvin

To be fair, we’ll keep following EU standards deal or no deal… manufacturers will be in no rush to let the UK ‘take back control’ on standards, and the government would have to be nuts to create divergence.

mefty
    Free Member

These people seem to think he isn’t right:

Of course, but that is because he does not use the “gravity” model of world trade which many others are using as he does not think it works for a change which involves a big shock in trade terms. He explains it all in his papers as well as the significance of the other areas where he has been criticised. As I said I don’t know whether he is right, but it is always interesting to read someone who approaches an issue from a completely different angle.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above the news has been prettybpositive and of course wildy better than the predicted Armageddon. IMF recently upgraded global growth despite originally predicting a global recession post Brexit. None of that is good enough for Remainers though.

Kimbers Deutsche is in free fall, it was one of the banks most active in US sub-prime.

Kimbers of course Putin is enjoying Brexit, the EU has had a massive political agenda to expand Eastwards accepting membership from very poor nations in order to weaken Russia. The US and UK can’t do much on Russian sanctions as we do so little business with them unlike the broader EU, the sanctions on Russia have been very painful and Putin is hoping to use EU weakness to soften the (flakey) resolve of Germany to wind back sanctions. Of course the EU was a key player in antagonising Russia over Ukraine.

slowoldman

Just in case it has slipped anyone’s mind, we are not post-Brexit, we haven’t left yet. EU trade agreements are still in place.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As above the news has been prettybpositive

#jambafact

molgrips
    Free Member

Might be good for the IT industry as there is plenty of skill here, now it’s 10% cheaper.

kelvin

How much of that IT skill is migrant labour?

I’ll except “shit loads” as an answer, if the figures are hard to pin down.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

At least Orange 5s will seem competitively priced soon

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by migrant. Immigrant, yes – itinerant, not much.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Comment on farming from a few pages back. My view but will defer to posters like Welsh who are “in the business”

WTO Tariffs are protectionist for farming. There are well established and good reasons for this which I support. As a food exporter a country like France wants tariff free access to export markets. As a food net importer countries like the UK would find WTO protects our farmers in general. Now higher food prices are inflationary and controversial but the UK would be free to agree reduced tariff deals with whom we choose.

In particular in reference to France the farmers are pretty confrontational and powerful, blocking roads etc. WTO tariffs on food with the UK would lead to a lot of trouble and farmers have already thrown eggs at Macron and feel he is no friend of theirs. There is plenty of tension already with cheap EU imports of low quality food with final processing in France and re-labelled as French

A quick comment on French election / Le Pen. Very amusing yesterday as Macron had a meeting with “the management” of the Whirlpool factory threatened with closure in the North of France, Marine’s home turf. She turned up on the picket line to stand with “the workers” whilst ex-banker Macron is inside with the suits, she of course stole all the headlines 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

WTO Tariffs are protectionist for farming

Aren’t EU ones?

Are you aware that a lot of what we want to eat won’t grow in this country?

Are you also aware that if farmers can get higher prices for their food, that’s going to be us paying for it? So food prices will rise?

brooess
    Free Member

U.K. Regrets Brexit for First Time Since Referendum, Poll Says…

YouGov

mrmo
    Free Member

U.K. Regrets Brexit for First Time Since Referendum, Poll Says…

Which is still in the margin of error, and really hasn’t moved much since the referendum. What is shows though, despite what May et al may claim there is no coming together. There is no acceptance that it is the right thing to do.

A soft exit, ie looking to Norway or Switzerland might have been a way of uniting a majority but the car crash that is unfolding….

The EU set out its position days after the referendum, the UK stil hasn’t got a clue IMO. WTO rules here we come and how long till the IMF comes back around?

kimbers

It’s remarkable that May keeps repeating that the UK is coming together, as though her wishes might actually make it a reality.

Who does she think she is kidding?
    The vitrol on social media only send to have got worse!

mefty
    Free Member

The vitrol on social media only send to have got worse!

The results in various elections and referendums have shown that social media is a useless indicator of public sentiment.

milleboy
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 27,721 through 27,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.