Viewing 40 posts - 27,561 through 27,600 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • tjagain

I have to say on here and in the wider world I have never seen any coherent reasons for leaving the ~EU that make any sense

sbob
    Free Member

Of course, if we’re picking pre-EU British cars you can keep the above, I’ll have one of these:

tjagain

sbob

In 20 years I have never had to show my passport going INTO one of the 27 rest of EU countries – only to get back into the UK – last time I went to france no one checked anything – I just walked off the plane and into France

So when and how did you have to show a passport to get into one of the 27?

sbob
    Free Member

Last time I flew into Poland I had to show my passport.
    It was no big deal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

last time i went abroad the only place that checked was the UK to leave and enter,

sbob
    Free Member

I’m not a frequent traveller, but everyone had their passport at hand so I would not be surprised if it was a frequent occurrence.

Not in the least bit troublesome though.

slowoldman

The last time I had to show my passport in Europe was years ago crossing from France to Italy using the telepherique between the Aiguille du Midi and the Torino hut. Which was a shame as I’d left it in the campsite in Chamonix!!

GrahamS

Not in the least bit troublesome though.

Unlike the queues of people waiting at the “Non-EU Passports” desks.

No doubt when post-Brexit Brits are made to do this it will be because “the EU is punishing us” 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I have had to show it to enter the Schengen area in Amsterdam Schiphol airport, when changing planes. Also had to show it when arriving in Sweden, Finland and Switzerland on work trips.

sbob
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Unlike the queues of people waiting at the “Non-EU Passports” desks.

Will it be like the rest of the world? You know, the bit that actually exists outside the EU?
    Should be ok then. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

It will clearly be more of a pain that what we have currently and clearly the waiting times to enter the tu will only increase

Its hardly the biggest issue with leaving the EU but to pretend it wont be annoying/create a delay when folk travel is incorrect.

sbob
    Free Member

to pretend it wont be annoying/create a delay when folk travel is incorrect.

Good job no-one is doing that. 🙂

Its hardly the biggest issue with leaving the EU

Quite correct. 🙁

beinbhan

I’ve been to France Belgium and Sweden in the past 2 months and had to go through Passport control every time. In fact I don’t remember ever not having my passport checked when flying from UK to Europe.

mrmo
    Free Member

Its hardly the biggest issue with leaving the EU but to pretend it wont be annoying/create a delay when folk travel is incorrect.

Think about the delay for cars then consider the customs, paperwork etc that will face haulage and the implications for getting across the channel.

taxi25
    Free Member

In fact I don’t remember ever not having my passport checked when flying from UK to Europe.

This. Passport checked at Amsterdam, Prague, Venice and Alicante in the last 18mnths.

cornholio98
    Free Member

When I travel within Europe, yes they check my passport but it takes less than 30 seconds for them to look at me and then let me through despite my dodgy picture.

Conversely If I travel through Turkey there are probably about 4 5plus min checks and then if I go to the US they take fingerprints and ask me random questions.

Hopefully we don’t end up in the latter category by posturing and threatening to pull out of the joint security arrangements.

julians
    Free Member

your passport is always checked* on arrival in an EU country when flying from the UK.

* I say checked , but a lot of the time you just get waved through with a cursory glance.

GrahamS

Man who says he’s “not a frequent traveller” reassures everyone this won’t be an issue. 😆

It’s a minor annoyance at best for folk going to the continent once a year.

I suspect it’ll be slightly more of an annoyance for folk who make that trip weekly, especially if they have to start faffing about with visas, entry questionnaires, biometrics etc.

It’s not really a reason to stay in the EU – it’s just one more little niggle for once we leave (which will no doubt be blamed on the EU).

sbob
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Man who says he’s “not a frequent traveller” reassures everyone this won’t be an issue.

Correct.
    I only travel abroad a few times a year at most and have never had to endure significant queues.
    Not that I was professing to be the oracle of international travel, just sharing a different experience with a poster (though I seem to have had similar experiences to more), but I appreciate you can’t help yourself. 🙂

Travel much?

DrJ

* I say checked , but a lot of the time you just get waved through with a cursory glance.

That’s the point – it’s quickly checked because as an EU citizen you have the right to enter the country. If they have to start checking your precise immigration status, visa expiry date and whatnot it will get a lot more tiresome.

tjagain

Julians – not true. Many times I have gone straight in with no passport check – yes its checked leaving the UK but not entering France. Last summer I simply walked off the plane and into France. Not even anyone on duty to check passports

GrahamS

Travel much?

Nope. If you read what I say, I’m pointing out that people who do travel a lot will naturally be more inconvenienced.

have never had to endure significant queues.

You’re very lucky then. My most recent trip was in February and on the way back we queued for security at Geneva airport for over two hours. The queue was so long that they opened the fire doors so they could loop it out the building twice!

I can’t imagine that situation would have been improved by additional security checks, visas, entry questionnaires, etc!

igm

My experience is go to EU – 5-10 minutes at passport control

Go to USA – can be an hour or more, rarely less than 30 minutes

Not the biggest issue, but not an improvement.

epicyclo

jambalaya
    Free Member

BTW of course EU can formally commence negotiations for a trade arrangement with the US before the UK as we are prevented until 2019. I’ll wgaer we get our deal signed before they do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll wgaer we get our deal signed before they do.

Will it be a better deal though?
    There is a reason Trump is stoking the fire in France in favour of Le Penn, he wants to make the EU weaker, you can’t negotiate bully if your the weaker partner.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TJ we travel to France more than once a month. I always show my passport where flying, Eurostar or Eurotunnel. Posting from the queue at Eurotunnel having just shown our passports (UK and French passports checked at both UK and French booths)

cchris2lou

You don’t have to show anything when traveling in mainland eu.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do we need the definition of the Schengen Area again?
    The one the UK never joined?

Last time I tried the only reason I knew we had gone from France to Belgium was the roads went crap.
    Still loving the big lists of ways the EU is messing with everything.

dudeofdoom

Still loving the big lists of ways the EU is messing with everything.

Mumble,muumble control must take back 🙂

dudeofdoom

Don’t think I’d want to rely on Trump for anything other than chocolate cake opinions tbh.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Having recently had some conversation with a brexiter family member, I’m pleased to report that they had absolutely no answer when asked in what way they thought life in the UK would be improved by brexit in the next 10 years. They don’t even care. It’s just a vote against nasty corrupt europeans and too many immigrants, because…..well there is no because actually.

kerley
    Free Member

well there is no because actually.

There is a because, it is because they have an irrational fear of foreigners (could say they are a bit racist)

But we have to remember that no one voted leave because they are racist.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They don’t even care. It’s just a vote against nasty corrupt europeans and too many immigrants,

Two things the EU could have addressed, two things which would not ever have been an issue if the EEC had stuck to being a “common market”

French elections almost tied between pro-Europe Macron and Fillion and highly Eurosceptic Le Pen and Melechon. Le Pen and Macron into the head to head it seems

Edukator
    Free Member

Just been counting votes. In our area (rich, educated, leftward leaning) Le Pen scored about half what she did the last time we counted. Fillon did worse than Sarko, Macron did rather well, and the reserve of lefty voters bodes well for him in the second round (assuming the national vote confirms he makes it).

milleboy
    Free Member

Macron on 24%, Le Pen 21%.

Guess that mean Macron will clean up next time round. I imagine that won’t help May (if she wins) during Brexit talks.

Edukator
    Free Member

We’ve just opened a bottle of Médoc to celebrate.

cchris2lou

FN are not happy . they were hopping for a lot more .

Edukator
    Free Member

We laughed on the way into the polling station when we saw Fillon’s poster had been replaced (and f’ed up again). Previously someone had been blacking out letters and it read: “Un vol pour la France”.

* bottle nearly empty*

thecaptain
    Free Member

To be fair to my brexiter relative, it is not the foreignness per se they object to, just the total number of people which is apparently too many. The UK is full and we cannot accept a single extra person.

Viewing 40 posts - 27,561 through 27,600 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.