Viewing 40 posts - 27,441 through 27,480 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • igm

York Outer.

DrJ

No, she was in an OK position but expects to be in a much stronger position come June 8th.

Yep – she will be in a stronger position. Will the country be in a stronger position? Oh well, who gives a sh1t about that?

molgrips
    Free Member

The SNP should definitely spread outside Scotland. We could all do with a centre party. They could be called the.. erm… British National Party…?

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrJ well I think the country will be in a much better position as a result of a significantly increased Tory majority. Any sort of (currenct) Labour / SNP / Lib Dem coalition would be a catastrophe.

molgrips
    Free Member

DrJ well I think the country will be in a much better position as a result of a significantly increased Tory majority.

You only say that because you like Tory policies.

mattjg
    Free Member

The referendum result was 52/48 – or 17/16 if we keep it simpler.

52-48 – a win for leave but a near equal division.

And she claims she wants a “united” Parliament because we are a “united” people.

Parliament should be split, that’s what it’s for and that’s how it would represent the result.

Behaving like the result was 99/1, and Parliament is misrepresentative, is not democracy. But that’s what she’s seeking to do.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You only say that because you like Tory policies.

My responce would be they are the ONLY credible ones. Quite simply no sensible workable alternatives are available today.

@matt we have had two different types of democracy in the last 12 months, every vote counts Referendum and now the GE. It seems neither have or will produce a result you wish for. That’s democracy for you.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s not about the result I want, it’s about the winners behaving as if the losers’ opinions mattered with some kind of proportionality to the vote split. This applies to referendums and the obviously flawed FPTP system.

And while I’m on it, its about the winners calling those who dissent undemocratic, saboteurs, traitors … too. I don’t believe you’ve done that but I’m sure you recognise many of your belief do.

Worrying times for our country.

molgrips
    Free Member

My responce would be they are the ONLY credible ones.

Like I said – you like Tory policies…

slowoldman

So a 2 to 1 majority is required to call an early GE. A far smaller majority is required to support the biggest change affecting the UK in the last 50 years. Oh and there will probably end up being a majority government voted for by about a third of the electorate. Funny stuff this democracy.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah and the irony is some people voted leave because the EU is, wait for it, “undemocratic”.

GEDA
    Free Member

Is the best option not to ask every conservative candidate about every claim that leave had/has? If they can answer those questions I would be happy to vote leave/conservative but from the facts/news/simple logic I come to the following conclusion.

Less immigration? No
    Money for NHS? No
    More control? No
    Greater national sovereignty? No
    Strong possibility of the break up of the uk? Yes
    Strong possibly of big problems in NI? Yes
    UK farming collapse due to being exposed to world prices? Yes

cchris2lou

People who voted Remain have a second chance.

Use it.

igm

This ^^^

kerley
    Free Member

People who voted Remain have a second chance.

Use it.

Can you explain how I do that? In 2015 my constituency was 60% Tory, 15% UKIP. Where do I get my second chance?

theotherjonv

You see, I kind of disagree with this. The people voted, and yes it was close and the result somewhat flawed by the exclusion of the people it will hurt more and the crap campaigns on both sides. But that was the rules and that was the outcomes.

What i do disagree with now is that there was no brexit plan to examine and vote on, and that has now metamorphosised into ‘give me a bigger majority to instigate the brexit that I want’ without taking into account the closeness and the wishes of remainers, the (many) leavers who are now saying ‘hang on, I didn’t exactly vote for this’ and also our EU colleagues. Instead we have talk of traitors, saboteurs, ‘it’ll be worse for them than us’ and ‘they had their chance, never changed the EU when they should so it’ll be their fault if we cause it to all crash down, ****’em’

Hence why I say – a ‘party’ (or coalition or whatever) that’ll offer Brexit but in an appropriate way would get my vote. And who cares if the Government will be a bit cobbled together while things are thrashed out; the alternative is still worse in my book and at least we can change it again later. I’ve achieved great things as part of a team that was thrown together at the last minute to deal with an issue. I’m not pretending that a work problem, no matter how hard, is anything like running a country but most of that’s in the safe hands of the Civil service, and I don’t think will collapse overnight while the wrinkles are ironed out.

igm

theotherjonv – Member
    You see, I kind of disagree with this. The people voted, and yes it was close and the result somewhat flawed by the exclusion of the people it will hurt more and the crap campaigns on both sides. But that was the rules and that was the outcomes.

Remind me of what the rules said we had to do on receipt of that non-binding referendum result?

Also that result is now history. It has relevance up to the next GE and then only in textbooks. Otherwise we would still be bound by the 1975 referendum.

Interesting comparison between the voting in 1975 and 2017. Scotland was least in favour of the EU in 75, while Lincolnshire was heavily in favour. And they go a 2/3 majority of those who voted, unlike the more recent half and half vote.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975

cchris2lou

Writte to your MP, local papers, question them on Twitter. ,Facebook etc…

Make your voice heard.

This is an opportunity.

Let them hear the will of the people.

theotherjonv

Remind me of what the rules said we had to do on receipt of that non-binding referendum result?

True – but being expedient I think the chances of getting elected on a mandate of cancelling Brexit is impossible now (is it even legal having triggered A50, there’s no back out option – although everyone’s making this up on the hoof tbh). A manifesto of stopping this bus will galvanise the leavers even more, but i think a substantial proportion fall into the camps of ‘I want brexit but i don’t want a Tory government’ (dare I say it, the working class traditional Labour voter) or ‘I wanted Brexit but I don’t want May and her cronies to impose their version of it which is not what i voted for’

It’s not the ideal solution – which to me was to not take square aim at our own feet last year in the first place – but just because it’s not ideal, I’m not so idealistic that if I can’t have exactly what I want(ed) then i won’t settle for something better than what’s currently facing us.

igm

I am idealistic – at least in what I want. But also pragmatic in terms of getting as close to that as possible. Remember this isn’t over for a generation, so great things can be achieved. If it can be done during my lifetime so much the better.

is it even legal having triggered A50, there’s no back out option – although everyone’s making this up on the hoof tbh

Interesting question and one that as I recall the Irish courts were testing.
    The pragmatic reality is though that if we said we meant A50 in the same way May meant no cut and run election then the EU27 would probably accept us cancelling A50 – there might or might not be a bit of a price to pay, but I suspect not.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Less immigration? No
    Money for NHS? No
    More control? No
    Greater national sovereignty? No
    Strong possibility of the break up of the uk? Yes
    Strong possibly of big problems in NI? Yes
    UK farming collapse due to being exposed to world prices? Yes

Controlled Immigration via visa system (we already have this with the rest of the world), we decide whether we want more, less or the same. Most importantly we decide what type of immigrants we want
    Money for NHS, yes it will be a manifesto commitment (Gove et all where calling for an immediate £100m/week £5.!2bn pa even before we leave the EU in April 2019)
    Great National Sovereignty, yes substantially so. All EU laws repatriated.
    Strong possibility of the break upmof the UK. No close to zero. Scottish Indy is dead with UK outside the EU – 80% of Scottish exports are to rUK vs 20% to EU
    Strong possibility of big problems in NI, nope lots of talk from Sinn Fein but thre will be no return to terrorist violence as post 9-11 their fundjng from the US has evaoprated
    UK Farming collapse. Nope will go from strength to strength. WTO tariffs are very protective, one reason the EEC/EU CAP has to exist to substantially reduce those tariffs to allow French and Eastern European farmers to export much more cheaply

Onwards and upwards to a more global Britain

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hi Chris. I met mine 10 days ago, made my views very clear. She is a Leave campaigner by the way. Our constituency is Leave and UKIP made a decent run at the GE in 2010

mattjg
    Free Member

is it even legal having triggered A50, there’s no back out option

A50 is revokable because there is nothing in the treaty that says it isn’t, and politically the 27 still prefer Brexit not to happen.

It wouldn’t be trivial, and there would probably be a price, but anyone who tells you we are “past the point of no return” is mistaken or attempting to mislead you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can you explain how I do that? In 2015 my constituency was 60% Tory, 15% UKIP. Where do I get my second chance?

Ask Nigel Farage, he single handedly got a Referendum. You should work out how to campaign for a “lets rejoin the EU” vote. So far sadly for you you have Nick Clegg and Tony Blair. Maybe Gina what’s her name will stand, she’s been making a bit of noise recently

mattjg
    Free Member

Where are you jamba? Not Mole Valley then. You are a Surrey Hills local though IIRC.

Onwards and upwards to a more global Britain

Sorry this does make me giggle. This country has been one of the most “global” for centuries. Sheesh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly the more the Brexit comedy act keep going the better the chances for the parties against them.
    I expect a lot of comic ali meme’s and comparisons with Trump who managed to declare a large naval battle group was going the opposite way to what he claimed

jambalaya
    Free Member

Matt (sadly riding wise) moved away from Guildford post my divorce in 2014, nomadic mixture of central London (50 mins to Peaslake, bitboess to Newlands), Hampshire (90 mins to Peaslake, 30 to QECP) and Paris (3hrs to any sort of remotely decent riding). Still dreaming about moving to Switzerland.

This country has been one of the most “global” for centurie

That is true, however the EU has been stedily eroding that not least curtailing our ability to keep our ties with the Commonwealth. My tag line is a bit tongue in cheek there is just soooo much negativity and bitterness here.

Pigface
    Free Member

All EU laws repatriated??? Hope you enjoy the Environment as it is because with out EU legislation it would be a mess.

mattjg
    Free Member

OK. Which constituency?

slowoldman

All EU laws repatriated

You mean to Europe?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Eastleigh is where I am registered to vote. Bikebouy is just over the River Hamble but in a different constituency.

molgrips
    Free Member

My tag line is a bit tongue in cheek there is just soooo much negativity and bitterness here.

Why do you think that is.

Re visa system – that’s worse for immigrants, and does nothing for UK citizens wishing to go elsewhere.

Still dreaming about moving to Switzerland.

Wait – what? So you WANT to move to another country, and yet you voted to stop the rest of us moving to other countries? Seriously?

jambalaya
    Free Member

City/service sector jobs growth continues despite Brexit. Services are tariff free under WTO. 77% of pir service exports are non-financial. EU could block financial services but they’d be screwed as they need the services and don’t want to buy them from Dubai (counterparty risk issues) or G-d forbid New York (rabid anti-US bias)

City continues to be jobs magnet, despite Brexit uncertainty

http://news.sky.com/story/city-continues-to-be-jobs-magnet-despite-brexit-uncertainty-10843619

mattjg
    Free Member

Eastleigh. 52.5% leave. Interesting. I wonder if she was influential in that as a declared eurosceptic. Demographically an older population than average?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    City/service sector jobs growth continues despite Brexit. Services are tariff free under WTO

Meanwhile Terry from Barnsley and Fred from Sunderland are packing their bags and heading to where the streets are paved with gold. Be careful who you promise the world to.

jambalaya
    Free Member

For you matt, thread needs more pictures. Cotic frame built in Taiwan as per most of the bits and thus imported under WTO. Hope bits made in the UK.

mattjg
    Free Member

Funny, it was a pre-referendum film of a reporter at Hope, when all but one of the 6 interviewees said they were voting leave, that I decided leave was the likely result.

Yes I’m sure buying under WTO is fine. As for selling into our biggest market under WTO, perhaps not.

Del

customer sent a machine back to us for service recently from a country in E.Asia. reckoned it cost them 2000USD return shipping with all the charges etc.
    and with all the cocking about with customs it took about 3 weeks.
    i think we work we carried out was ~ USD8000.
    equivalent cost to ship same equipment between here and europe at the moment? ~ 200EUR, and it would be at it’s destination next day.

quite a loading on that work under WTO, eh?

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Lymington or Hamble?

dudeofdoom

Its surprising the little things the eu does
    like 2 year warrentys and getting rid of roaming charges and that goody of getting a flight from a competitor when your flights overbooked.

Viewing 40 posts - 27,441 through 27,480 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.