Viewing 40 posts - 27,161 through 27,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

As for language English is the most useful language for global communication, nothing to do with the EU. Europeans learn English for travel and work. When two Europeans meet each other they are most likely to speak English as their common language – I see this all the time with my European friends and colleagues. None of that is going to change.

kelvin

So, no attempt to address the limitations of visas compared to our current system we share with the other EEA countries?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When two Europeans meet each other they are most likely to speak English as their common language – I see this all the time with my European friends and colleagues. None of that is going to change.

German does very well especially up around the netherlands and denmark.

Things will change, many things will change – how is your Mandarin coming along?

igm

jambalaya – Member
    As for language English is the most useful language for global communication, nothing to do with the EU. Europeans learn English for travel and work. When two Europeans meet each other they are most likely to speak English as their common language – I see this all the time with my European friends and colleagues. None of that is going to change.

Jamba, my child, have you heard of Latin, and later French? Of course it will change. The only question is how fast. Like countries, languages are not forever, nor is their dominance

oldnpastit

I imagine those left behind in the UK will speak an increasingly archaic form of English, one where many words fall out of use and are forgotten: trade, business, co-operation, avocado, and so-on.

But it will gain new words – perhaps words like “to leadsom”, meaning to know of nothing but tea and cake, or “the Johnson”, signifying a volume or region of pointless hot air, or “cameroning”, meaning taking something and royally screwing it up.

Edukator
    Free Member

Once outside of business circles I find a combination of French, German and Spanish gets me around continental Europe better than English. Asking directions on a crowded terrace in Belgium in French got me nowhere, nor English, when they realised I spoke German they went and got the cook from the kitchen to direct me. In SW France the adults usually speak better Spanish than English, kids have about the same level in both. My son left school with both a French Bac and German Arbitur, but no English qualification. The older generation in Spain speak French and the younger generation English and Italian. Italians often have good French or German in Border areas. The Swiss speak dialects but also speak one non-English language well if they have to. In Demark German seemed to be widely spoken and everyone of my generation I’ve met from the old Eastern Block speaks Russian pretty well. Edit: I forgot the Dutch who seem to speak everything, and love having someone to speak French with.

If you speak to people in English they’ll reply in English but that doesn’t mean it’s their second language. Anyhow, have a look at Wiki , English isn’t as dominant as you might think.

sbob
    Free Member

Anyhow, have a look at Wiki , English isn’t as dominant as you might think

Ok. 🙂

The most widely spoken language in the EU is English

😆

Your anti-English rhetoric is bordering on the silly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

love the detailed analysis there sbob…
    Most spoken first language German
    English the most spoken second

German and French both joint second as second languages, there is probably some stats to be done but looks like there is a good chance you could converse in French and German more easily, UK out of the EU and 2nd language choices may well change more as opportunities change.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

love the detailed analysis there sbob…

It’s the most pertinent fact.

Unless you want to include Edukator’s “three languages are better than one” revelation. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s the most pertinent fact.

lol like I said detailed analysis or picking the easiest and most obvious conclusion.
    It tells me that French or german will get you a long way, if you don’t speak English then it’s not going to be first choice – especially as there will be a lot less English to deal with – like the Brexiters like to think why don’t they speak our language…

Edukator
    Free Member

Did I mention having taught English for years in Spain and France, sbob. And having my own language school for 10 years. People generally learned English because they were sent to us by their employers. When they were paying out of their own pockets Spanish was popular. I think Brexit will change attitudes with French, German and Spanish becoming increasingly attractive to employers.

I think the need for a passport to visit the UK will further increase the cost of school trips to the UK and be dissuasive for many. Exchnages no longer work because Brit parents consider all the French to be pedophiles. Paid host families are less and less hospitable (they often fall into the DM reading Brexit demographic and won’t eat or talk with the kids). Add a load of administrative hassle and teachers will take their kids elsewhere.

Madame has organised a trip to England every year for the last 16 years. Next year there won’t be one and teachers are debating whether to organise a ski trip, or a trip to Ireland or the Netherlands instead (go where one is welcome, eh). The “sections euro Anglais” in French schools have gone as of this academic year and the priority is now two foreign languages from earlier in a child’s schooling. English is being diluted in favour of other languages.

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll

Did I mention having taught English for years in Spain and France, sbob?

It’s no wonder, what with English being the most widely spoken language in the EU.
    It’s pretty handy around the rest of the planet too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How popular is it in China and Indonesia? How will English fare in the eu without the UK there? It will be off the table at discussions and not in regular business.
    What language do the speak on Brazil?
    Bet they will love being expected to speak English the the people begging for trade.

DrJ

But it will gain new words – perhaps words like “to leadsom”, meaning to know of nothing but tea and cake, or “the Johnson”, signifying a volume or region of pointless hot air, or “cameroning”, meaning taking something and royally screwing it up.

That. Plus the armies of unemployed will develop a rich variety of words to describe the different types of garbage that they spend their days sifting through in the hope of finding something worth selling on.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

How popular is it in China and Indonesia?

I’ve never been to China, but I’ve had employees go over. Business was conducted in English.
    Haven’t been to Indonesia either.
    English use is quite widespread in central and southern America, from my experience.
    I remember my other half finding it hilarious that all the Indians we spoke to thought I was German, though they asked me in English.

How will English fare in the eu without the UK there? It will be off the table at discussions and not in regular business.

It makes sense to use the most widely spoken language in the EU, but if people choose to use a less understood language then Spanish would be the logical choice I suppose.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It makes sense to use the most widely spoken language in the EU,

Once you remove the UK from the eu what is the most widely spoken language?

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Once you remove the UK from the eu what is the most widely spoken language?

Sorry, should have said Europe which we are not leaving, but is the answer still English?
    Eating dinner so haven’t done the maths.

ninfan
    Free Member

You really think the widespread use of the English language within the EU and worldwide population is in any way tied to continued UK membership?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/the-10-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world

Top spoken language in the world of course, or is it just the one spoken loudly and slowly.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Top spoken language in the world of course, or is it just the one spoken loudly and slowly.

It’s the lingua franca of business, travel and international relations, according to your source. 🙂

Once you remove the UK from the EU, the most widely spoken language in the EU is English.

br
    Free Member

I’ve worked pretty much in every country in Europe and a fair few across the globe.

Use of language is easy, for business use it’s in the following order.

1 Local language
    2 Language of mother company
    3 English

For personal use, lose No. 2.

I learnt German because I was working a lot in Germany. But it’s pretty much no use in any other countries except Germany, Austria and a bit of Switzerland. A bit like French; great for France, parts of Africa and the Caribbean and Montreal (etc).

But English works as a second language EVERYWHERE, always has and always will (well, in my life anyway).

Edukator
    Free Member

All the Hollywood stuff is dubbed in France and Germany.

If any EU language stands to progress from traditional media sources it’s German with its numerous free sat channels. You can’t watch a film in English without paying but there’s something worth watching most nights in the German selection.

The Net is English dominated but kids are learning that the English language streaming sites are the most likely to screw up your computer with spy ware and other nasties so prefer the less infested French web.

(This STW random logout thing is really irritating, mods)

oldnpastit

You really think the widespread use of the English language within the EU and worldwide population is in any way tied to continued UK membership?

Americans don’t speak the same language as us, as I’m sure you know. Our two languages are mostly mutually intelligible, but not always. Try explaining that the maths behind the 350 million quid number was dodgy and see how far you get.

Our quaint dialect will now just become even more marginalized and irrelevant, that’s all. Like a Boris Johnson of languages.

sbob
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

Americans don’t speak the same language as us, as I’m sure you know. Our two languages are mostly mutually intelligible, but not always.

I’m sure I know that the above is complete Horlicks.

Our quaint dialect will now just become even more marginalized and irrelevant

Our quaint dialect is spoken by (in the region of) one and a half billion people worldwide.
    I take it you don’t get about much?

What is this obsession with putting down anything English, even in the face of glaringly obvious facts?

Never understood this unhealthy practise.

slowoldman

I think we have a bargaining chip in the Brexit talks. Threaten to stop them using English. That should do it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

how is your Mandarin coming along?

Hello and Happy New Year. Zero point even bothering as Chineese will always speak far better English that I (and vast majority of Westerners) will ever learn Mandarin. I had two Chinesse team members and my colleage who had twice weekly Mandarin for 5 years could not make himself understood for anything but the most basic phrases. Friends who grew up in HK and spoke fluent Cantonease couod not make themselves undsrstood in Mandarin. I must have made 30 business trips to China.

For far on Project Armageddon for Brexit we’ve had

UK recession deeper than 2009/10
    Worldwide recession
    Collapse in property prices
    End of peace in Europe

and now we add English being replacd by something else ?

So far all we have seen a drop in £ which IMO will be reversed

All of the above is nonsense. The EU can cinducr it’s business in double-Dutch from real Double Dutchess as far as I am concerend. Thats their business. The rest of us will speak Engligh to each other and the rest of fhe world

jambalaya
    Free Member

All the Hollywood stuff is dubbed in France and Germany.

VO and VOST ? My French is poor so 90% of the films I watch are in English. We go to the cinema every week with the Orange 2:1 deal

br
    Free Member

and now we add English being replaced by something else ?[/I]

Who cares what they’ll do once we leave?

http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/

Yep, as thought, not our problem and a mere pinprick compared to the 5hit5torm that’ll hit the UK in 2 years time.

codybrennan
    Free Member

jambalaya

All of the above is nonsense. The EU can cinducr it’s business in double-Dutch from real Double Dutchess as far as I am concerend.

Nice reference- sometimes I’m reminded that you’re not a bad lad, really 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfK1_FBTMtA[/video]

x

Northwind

slowoldman – Member

I think we have a bargaining chip in the Brexit talks. Threaten to stop them using English. That should do it.

We’ll let them use Scottish.

kelvin

I’m loving everything going over sbob’s head. Most amusing. More please.

kelvin

Still enjoying Jambalaya’s “contributions” as well. Build up those men of straw and set them alight. Burn baby burn.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

End of peace in Europe

How many times have you told this lie?

Pants on fire!

epicyclo

DrJ – Member
    ‘But it will gain new words – perhaps words like “to leadsom”, meaning to know of nothing but tea and cake, or “the Johnson”, signifying a volume or region of pointless hot air, or “cameroning”, meaning taking something and royally screwing it up.’
    That. Plus the armies of unemployed will develop a rich variety of words to describe the different types of garbage that they spend their days sifting through in the hope of finding something worth selling on.

And as a bonus we already have Mayhem…

Junkyard
    Free Member

my colleage who had twice weekly Mandarin for 5 years could not make himself understood for anything but the most basic phrases

Was he laurel to your hardy 😉

No one could have twice weekly language lessons for five years and still only be at the basic level

I agree that Brexit wont impact on english worldwide usage in the next 20-40 years

cchris2lou

To be fair I cant see english being dropped either .

it is easy to learn compared to others languages .

slowoldman

If you’re English.

slowoldman

IMO

Well that’s OK then.

DrJ

Well, more wonderful news, taking back control and all that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/britain-set-to-lose-eu-crown-jewels

Viewing 40 posts - 27,161 through 27,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.