Viewing 40 posts - 27,041 through 27,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Maybe we should compromise and go back to Centigrade?

or as a forward thinking globalised economy we can adopt the Kelvin as our standard measure of temperature. Further as a modern forward thinking country all non SI units should be scrapped and no allowances made for those who wish to cling to outdated concepts such as pints and furlongs.

binners

The UK you say. Nope never heard of you, now back in your box

Could there be a more fitting foreign secretary to deliver us our place in international irrelevance?

Its tragic and funny in equal measure. The cartoonish, bumbling cockwomble representative of the new ‘Global Britain’ told to sit down and STFU first by America, then the EU.

Its all panning out great, this role as a newly unconstrained international diplomatic and economic superpower, isn’t it?

mt
    Free Member

now I’m all for SI units for many things but it would help if someone could decide which units were to be used for air or gas volumes. There are 5 units SI/metric in use for air or gas that we come across from around the world. Then we get into the system resistance units, its all a bit irritating really when you were trained by old guys int 70’s.

In Yorkshire we are still using cfm n inches w.g. (its cheaper) as every Brexiteer will be fully aware.

oldnpastit

I imagine measuring gas volume must be very important in Yorkshire, since it produces so much hot air.

mt
    Free Member

True enough on the useless hot air. It will become important though with our fracking based oil supplies. You none Yorkshire moaners will submit to our oil power, bit like our wool power of 400 years previous. Still they’ll be those that will moan but Yorkshire will be itself.

mattjg
    Free Member

We be needing your water too, so you’re staying. Scotland can go, can’t drink oil.

kelvin

or as a forward thinking globalised economy we can adopt the Kelvin as our standard measure of temperature.

I’d like that, but for real life temperature ranges, for most tasks, I accept Celsius works just fine.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The reason for the £35k limit is to exponentially increase the thickness of the glass ceiling for poor folks.

Northwind

mattjg – Member

Scotland can go, can’t drink oil.

Aye, Scotland is famous for not having enough water.

igm

Water of rain, water of life…

mattjg
    Free Member

Aye, Scotland is famous for not having enough water.

Doh.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just read that EU money helped save the Transporter Bridge in Newport, I wonder how many landmarks, places of interest have been saved by that kind of assistance.

Kiss that goodbye then.

ninfan
    Free Member

Just read that EU money helped save the Transporter Bridge in Newport, I wonder how many landmarks, places of interest have been saved by that kind of assistance.

Kiss that goodbye then.

You’re still not understanding that “net contributor” thing then?

Pigface
    Free Member

Go and multiply with yourself troll boy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You’re still not understanding that “net contributor” thing then?

That sum has a fine margin though, any drop in tax take, GDP or increase in costs (Whats the UK Government fuel bill – based on USD).
    Most general commodities are priced in USD so costs rise, profits fall and the UK economy shrinks. Along with all the promises of extra funding, funding everything else that was EU funded and more wild promises the numbers don’t stack up and it’s exactly projects like that which will be hit.

br
    Free Member

The reason for the £35k limit is to exponentially increase the thickness of the glass ceiling for poor folks. [/I]

Ok, so no one is able to give an opinion of why the £35k (starting) limit is good?

I did think that maybe it’s a cut-off when you’re paying more in than taking out, but that doesn’t really fit with the Govts’ message regarding bringing in skills we need for business/Govt as fruit pickers and the like will earn nowhere near that.

C’mon Jamba/Ninfin, lets hear the Leavers view?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

b r – poor immigrants are thieves and crims. Rich ones are fine and most likely white/western european.

just saying

anagallis_arvensis

Is that 35k limit going to be policy? Or is it just a Boris type made up piece of crap? Going to make getting in nurses or teachers almost impossible.

kelvin

Going to make getting in nurses or teachers almost impossible.

Happening anyway. Deliberately.

= :87(

Hospitals already having to pay a big fat fee for the audacity of having to fill essential posts with non-EU staff… expect more of the same jingoistic nonsense for staff from all countries in a few years.

anagallis_arvensis

non-EU staff

So it will be expanded more than a little!

oldnpastit

Boris making a fool of himself again:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/11/boris-johnson-insists-russia-could-still-face-sanctions-colleagues/

He is now persona non grata with Russia, they won’t take him seriously. He has blown his bridges with them by cancelling [a visit] for the third time.

Don’t worry though Boris, Theresa is completely behind you:

Downing Street, however, insisted that Mr Johnson had Mrs May’s full support.

kelvin

Also, you need to be rich to keep your right to a family life now as well, if your partner happens to born elsewhere. Who really thinks that this will get better not worse from here on in? Only the deluded. Even the poor vote in huge numbers to make migration a rich person’s privilege only.

binners

Boris making a fool of himself again

It just looks like yet another example of the total fantasy world the Brexiteers seem to inhabit. In Boris’s head Britain is a Global Superpower, and everyone is looking towards him to sort out the worlds problems.

And as with most of the delusional bullshit they’ve been spouting for the last year, no amount of reality, or evidence that uncomfortably contradicts their la-la-land vision, is allowed to intrude on proceedings

martinhutch

Anyone else cringing when the camera pans across the G7 foreign ministers and then you realise that Boris is there for us?

I understand the strategy that the ritual humiliation of Boris is aimed at neutering his Prime Ministerial ambitions, but the Maybot shouldn’t leave him festering for too long.

binners

It seems like everything that has happened in the last year, especially the whole Brexit catastrophe, has been dictated by internal squabbles within the Tory party, rather than the needs of the country.

In the total absense of an opposition, I can’t see that changing any time soon.

Mind you… its all fun and games for them and their mates, isn’t it? As with the banking crisis, they won’t be the ones paying the price. Quite the opposite. Its a nice opportunity. And to hell with the little people. Ker-ching!

kimbers

has been dictated by internal squabbles within the Tory party, rather than the needs of the country.

I dunno helping nudge from Putin’s bots and the odd Brexit vote hack and things have gone swimmingly, Russia’s strongest critic ( yet biggest money launderer 😯 ) out of the EU our reputation in tatters and boom, no sanctions for Pooty (if only he could be sure he backed the right one in America)

dissonance

but the Maybot shouldn’t leave him festering for too long.

Why not? He will be a handy target to blame as she dives away from the mess.

binners

In other irony-news……

Boris Johnson is a liability for Britain says John Mcdonnell

While this is a statement of fact, just remind us which revered political heavyweight you’d be putting in place to regain this country’s respect on the world stage, John? 😆

Northwind

dissonance – Member

Why not? He will be a handy target to blame as she dives away from the mess.

Aye, because the prime minister’s job is to avoid blame, not to run the country

martinhutch

just remind us John which political heavyweight you’d be putting in place to regain this country’s respect on the world stage?

Well, she’s good on her flag identification.

DrJ

Just been having some dealings with my French bank. It reminds me of what I already knew, that French banks are absolutely and utterly incompetent (*). Anyone moving a financial operation from London to Paris would need their head examining. (Yes,I know – I just agreed with jamba)

(* e.g. I have been fruitlessly trying for over 18 months to get them to update my address so that the postman can deliver my credit card. It’s not rocket surgery FFS)

Edukator
    Free Member

If the address is not French I’m not surprised DrJ. It was getting so complicated we ended up with two accounts. An English one with a French address and a French one with a French address. One credit card for each country both delivered to France. HSBC seem to be better at this sort of thing than others but it still took about six months by the time both countries were satisfied with the paperwork (and a substantial sum on deposit for them to be interested at all). It’s not a matter of competence but rules and you may be breaking one of the new anti-money laundering codes depending on where you make your money, pay your tax etc..

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrJ if you like you can see it as for once I am agreeing with you 🙂

I have worked for 3 Germans Banks but would not work for a French one. My French wife refused to work for a French Bank and chose an American one based in Paris. The French system including regulatory ebvironment is not one a foreign bank would chose for anything other than French business.

In other news Insaw today the Office for National Statistics published its first ever study into unemployment inc those economically inactive amongst EU nationals in the UK. What really stunned me was that it was their first, ie never done before !!

br
    Free Member

C’mon Jamba/Ninfin, lets hear the Leavers view? [/I]

Still waiting…

Sounds to me like a soundbite with no substance, #typicalbrexitbollocks

jambalaya
    Free Member

£35k. Didn’t see the earlier post. I think you’ve answered it yourself £35k is the income level where you pay enough tax to pay for the services you use. Anyway migrants earning less than that should be allowed on short term visas and/or their employers have to provide healthcare for example.

My salary was one key factor in getting a work visa for US and Singapore. Perfectly normal part of controlled imigration policies

igm

What Jamba is saying br is you have to remember that the rules were only meant to apply to the little people.
    And the best way to judge someone’s worth is by their wallet.

GrahamS

Jamba:

What about the rather interesting points that

A) only allowing immigrants earning 35k only serves to strengthen the glass ceiling for UK residents earning less than 35k

B) a lot of the skills shortages we have are for jobs that pay less than 35k.

igm

GrahamS – he’s not daft he knows that. He’s trolling again.

Meanwhile wages are on the cusp of falling again in real terms as inflation brought on by the £ collapse brought on by Brexit starts to bite.
    Now there are arguments that inflation was too low – tell that to those whose wage is still lower than prior to the banking induced depression (and the half-arsed response in Cameron’s first government – they killed the recovery Brown had initiated if you recall)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Corbyn will say today how Brexit will allow Labour to upgrade the British economy

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn_uk_58ef353ce4b0bb9638e16603?utm_hp_ref=uk

thecaptain
    Free Member

I think it is reasonable to question why a skilled job with a shortage of workers only commands a 35k salary.

Viewing 40 posts - 27,041 through 27,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.