Viewing 40 posts - 24,401 through 24,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Peyote
    Free Member

Peyote – I think May owns the moral high ground on this issue. EU are the villans.

Why? She has the power to make things better, she chooses not to exercise it. That makes her a “villain” in my book.

Pigface
    Free Member

. EU are the villans.

What a truly stupid thing to post

jambalaya
    Free Member

It would be idiotic and a dereliction of her duty to UK citizens abroad (who absolutely should be her priority) to make a unilateral declaration

Pigface
    Free Member

THM leaf out of your own book, Jamba told a lie, he was challenged on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

In this case it’s absolutely the right term. Villans.

Pigface
    Free Member

Really 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mol and peyote – you continue to ignore the fact that she chose to exercise her power and responsibility to avoid making this an issue. It was not the UK who rejected the idea in Jan in favour of making bargaining chips.

But keep making things up – the Brexhsiteers may have won one battle but they are losing the BS version now

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It would be idiotic and a dereliction of her duty to UK citizens abroad (who absolutely should be her priority) to make a unilateral declaration

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 It’s been a slow morning in Casa de Sasquatch, so go on, why?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pigface, I have challenged Jambas consistently on this thread, what’s you point? I prefer to deal with the lies themselves, rather than the individuals making them. Good & sensible people get facts wrong – calling them liers is rather antagonistic dont you think – not even ninners goes that far does he?

On this issue I agree with him as do the facts.

What a truly stupid thing to post

he has a lot to keep up with on that score TBF and a long way behind today

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pigface see TMH’s reply above. May did the right thing, morally and pragmatically. The EU chose to support the Irish peace process but not UK citizens hence putting “their own” EU citizens in limbo.

mrmo
    Free Member

Making a unilateral statement that EU citizens can stay without a similar agreement from the EU for UK citizens would have been very naïve.
    Another way of saying that peoples lives are a useful negotiating tool then?

Yes it would be a very useful, it would show a clear good faith. Something that may be in short supply going forward if the UK carries on with its demands.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Captain – she’s the UK PM, her priority is UK citizens at home and abroad. Second is everyone else.

That FWIW is one if the (many) problems of the Lisbon Treaty, it says all EU citizens must be treated equally to your own. Bonkers and impractical. Rejected at the Referendum.

Tenuous
    Free Member

She is neglecting her duty to UK citizens abroad because by showing a clear intent to use EU citizens as a negotiating tool she is also setting them up as pawns for negotiation. The very best thing she could do for them is to make a clear commitment to current EU citizens here, showing good faith and setting a precedent that would be politically impossible for other EU leaders to ignore.

My feeling is that the reason she isn’t doing that is that she really does intend to use them as pawns, and would be quite happy to see them deported if she doesn’t get what she wants in other areas.

mrmo
    Free Member

You mean the ones who weren’t allowed a vote? or those in NI and Gibratar who voted to remain????

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Supporting the NI Peace Process is showing regard for quite a lot of UK citizens too by the way.

Pigface
    Free Member

THM hang on it’s ok for you you be “blunt” but I can’t call Jamba a liar? He never retracted his claim about Clinton even after numerous people asked him for evidence. Let’s not be hypocritical about this.

Jamba so the EU are villains?

kimbers

More to the point this was entirely predictable.

May should have seen this coming and offered it as a concession straight away.

Just as with her attempt to ram it all thru without consulting parliament and then challenging the law in the courts, when shown it was wrong.
    Doesnt speak well of her ability in the proper negotiations.

After her shambolic showing as home sec, shouldn’t really be a surprise tho.

br
    Free Member

Jamba & THM

I thought we’d already established that until we know the UK’s position that, ie in/out of EEA, we won’t know whether it’ll be the EU or the individual countries who’ll decide the fate of Britains’ abroad.

And vv for the UK too, if in/out of EEA.

nickfrog
    Free Member

My feeling is that the reason she isn’t doing that is that she really does intend to use them as pawns, and would be quite happy to see them deported if she doesn’t get what she wants in other areas.

I agree – Brexit has put us in such a de facto weak negotiation position that she will use whatever she has, even at the risk of compromising the very values that makes Britain great. The irony is strong on that one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary – despite her relatively crap record as H Sec – she has kept a very contentious and challenging piece of legislation on timetable and relatively unscathed (perhaps totally) and has maintained good dialogue with the Europeans that count including, most importantly, sensible stuff from/with Barnier.

Given the nightmare nature of the task, that is some achievement. In contrast:

Her predecessor lost a vote that should have been easy to win and lost his job
    Ditto the previous CoEx
    The Leader (sic) of HM Oppo has gone AWOL. Starmer aside the rest of his party are largely irrelevant
    The LDs simply want to ignore the referendum result
    And the SNP scoop the BS prize on a daily basis – Angus Robertson aside as he asks very good questions that often challenge the PM without any of wee nippy’s whining

So compared with her poor record as HSec she is in-line for the Progress Prize!

kimbers

That FWIW is one if the (many) problems of the Lisbon Treaty, it says all EU citizens must be treated equally to your own. Bonkers and impractical.

Yeah I was going to say that it’s only the swivel eyed brexies that are able to consider Europeans living here as second class citizens, but you’ve done it for me

Dehumanisation is the first step…

Peyote
    Free Member

Mol and peyote – you continue to ignore the fact that she chose to exercise her power and responsibility to avoid making this an issue. It was not the UK who rejected the idea in Jan in favour of making bargaining chips.

Yet she chooses not to rectify that error now? She has the power to ease many peoples concerns but doesn’t. Seems disingenuous to me and I’m a UK citizen. To those who’s lives are being used as negotiating tools it must seem far worse I would think.

Her priority should be to all UK citizens agreed. Allowing non-citizens to stay would benefit the UK economically and morally. It would ease many peoples very real fears about their future. What difference it would make to future negotiations is debatable, but I’m not convinced it would be significant. I would be happy to hear your arguments as to why chucking (or at least threatening to) these folks out would be beneficial during the negotiations though?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For Pigface!

Agree with Kimbers – Jambas it has been an extraordinary achievement to reach a point where we (EU citizens ) are treated equally wherever we chose to live. You and I and our kids have been major beneficiaries of this.

Pigface
    Free Member

THM you have lost me

mrmo
    Free Member

Her predecessor lost a vote that should have been easy to win and lost his job

It was never going to be easy, the UK has a racist underbelly, always has. The press has spent 40 years lying aided and abetted by politicians taking the easy route for their incompetence. There should never have been a referendum as the debate had long since been poisoned.

If she was doing such a good job why waste taxpayers money on a court case she was going to loose? As for her record, it is her record at the HO that concerns me, she was the one who screwed the border force, the passport office, who authorised the trucks telling foreigners to go home.

If she was doing such a good job why is she insisting on ignoring most of the populations wishes and chasing the UKIP/BNP/Tory right?

Why is Amber Rudd still in office? Why is Boris ? etc.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why are you asking people to argue for something that is not being proposed, Peyote?

The only issue is, do you make a unilateral declaration or a multi-lateral one. The heart says the former, the head the latter. She tried a sensible approach to avoid this before. This was rejected. So on that basis, I would marginally favour using her head not her heart.

I would also suggest that using inflammatory language like bargaining chips/chucking people out/storm troopers or posting links to stories that are unrelated to the issue under question may not be in the best interest of those exposed.

Still we all like a bit of froth

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If she was doing such a good job why is she insisting on ignoring most of the populations wishes and chasing the UKIP/BNP/Tory right?

Golly that’s a tough one

(for the same reason as HM Oppo perhaps? – clue 23 June 2016)

Last time I checked foreigners and illegal immigrants were not the same thing – but accept the point, she was pretty crap as HS which is why I am surprised that she is doing pretty well so far with the hospital pass that is Brexshit. May well end up biting her on her well-coutured backside in the end – we shall see…

BoardinBob

Aye, because a kids football team analogy is on a par with global politics

tpbiker
    Free Member

Don’t think it has anything to do witht he moral highground

I’m not saying we shouldn’d be letting folks stay here, I’m saying that UK citizens should also have the benefit of staying where they are.

And like it or not (and I don’t particularly) we are in a better position to negotiate with forign countires on the later if we haven’t commited to the former.

Again, I don’t agree with using folks as barganing chips, but in this case I feel we shouldn’t also forget UK nationals that are facing uncertainty and a more favourable outcome for all would be more likely if an agreement was made by all sides sooner rather than later.

Taking the ‘moral highground’ may sort out EU nationals working here, but it will do absolutely nothing to alay the fears of uk nationals abroad.

Peyote
    Free Member

Why are you asking people to argue for something that is not being proposed, Peyote?

Sorry, I didn’t realise I was.

The only issue is, do you make a unilateral declaration or a multi-lateral one. The heart says the former, the head the latter. She tried a sensible approach to avoid this before. This was rejected. So on that basis, I would marginally favour using her head not her heart.

Well, reducing it down to such a simple argument is quite an easy way of looking at it. The problem is, I don’t see much of a positive from going for your “head” route as it only seems to offer intangible/immeasurable (imaginary possibly) benefits to future negotiations. Whereas the “heart” route would offer more certainty in terms of economy (for those under threat and associated businesses) as well as a more morally palatable option.

I would also suggest that using inflammatory language like bargaining chips/chucking people out/storm troopers or posting links to stories that are unrelated to the issue under question may not be in the best interest of those exposed.

It’s a reasonable suggestion. However emotive language is useful in describing how those under threat feel. If the media, politicians and those who feel vicitimised choose to use this language why should we be surprised considering what has gone on over the past few years?

BTW Is “negotiating tools” or “pawns” acceptable?

Still we all like a bit of froth

Oh yes, big fan of cappuccinos me!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Captain – she’s the UK PM, her priority is UK citizens at home and abroad. Second is everyone else.

But Jambypoos, you said:

It would be idiotic and a dereliction of her duty to UK citizens abroad (who absolutely should be her priority)

That she should absolutely prioritse UK citizens abroad, expats like what you is.
    Why should she absolutely prioritise people who love the UK so much that they choose to live abroad?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lets consider where emotive, yet totally false, language that may have reflected how some felt on immigration got us…..

The nasty foreigners were the cause of all our problems. – smashing wages down, taking all the jobs, filling up hospitals and schools, the collapse of Leicester City FC etc – “apparently”

Peyote
    Free Member

I think the key bit in your post to remember is the “totally false” bit.

Emotive language can be powerful. Measured, slightly patronising language can be powerful too dontchaknow!

thecaptain
    Free Member

May offered a deal in January to avoid all this aggro but it was rejected.

That’s just bullshit pure and simple. She was trying to play games with a bit of megaphone diplomacy, knowing full well that there simply wasn’t and still isn’t an official negotiating body on the EU-27 side that was authorised to deal with any such proposition and speak on behalf of all 27 countries. She was trying to undermine the legally-established (but untested) process for leaving the EU, and score what she thought would be a few cheap poitical points in the meantime.

The UK is quite deliberately and unilaterally threatening the status and future not only of the 3m EU immigrants in this country but also the similarly large number of Brits abroad by deciding to leave the EU.

cchris2lou

As an EU immigrant I am not worried about being allowed to stay in the UK as we had decided to leave before the vote anyway .

But i am disappointed that that so many people have voted to send us home .

and i am angry with the milionaires politicians who have lied through their teeth in pursuit of their own ideology .

br
    Free Member

That Cambridge website article almost reads like a Daily Mash one.

Friend of my Mum returned from living in Spain last year, her husband had died and she didn’t want to struggle in a country, that while she lived in since early retirement, she didn’t really understand nor speak the language.

I reckon that if nothing else the DM will scare that witless.

cchris2lou

Rejoice Brexiters, this is my last day at work.

A British citizen can have my job 😀

mattyfez

Have we done today’s government hypocrisy yet?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_58b94de2e4b0b99894169efd

CountZero

But i am disappointed that that so many people have voted to send us home

Nobody in any significant numbers voted to send you home, you’re swallowing hook, line and sinker the propaganda being put about by the Remain campaign that the whole Brexit campaign was purely about sending European immigrant workers home.
    That is bollocks, the only people who are likely to be sent home are those who are here illegally, they have no legal right to be here, those here legally have every right to stay and continue working here.
    Most of those here illegally come from countries outside of Europe, so Brexit is totally irrelevant in such cases.
    I’m all in favour of leaving an organisation that is basically built around its elite upper-class, and bullies its members if it doesn’t get its way, like making Ireland repeat a referendum which didn’t give the answer the Eurocrats wanted, and which doesn’t appear to be able to promise that there will be reciprocated our commitment to European immigrants being able to carry on living and working here, which is just wrong.
    I previously worked with a number of Polish nationals, and a Romanian, and in my current job I meet large numbers of Eastern Europeans, and I’ve never yet met any who weren’t just really lovely, friendly folk, a delight to work with, which is more than can be said for many Brits, and I’d be horrified to think they believe that a few Sun-reading bigots with big mouths represented everyone who voted to leave the European political Union, but who are perfectly happy to continue to have close trading links with Europe, which is what we believed we were signing up for in the first place.

Viewing 40 posts - 24,401 through 24,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.