Viewing 40 posts - 24,241 through 24,280 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mefty
    Free Member

It is not clear that other EEA members would want the UK

There would be a lot of resistance, we are just too big relative to the other members.

kelvin

Big relative to who?
    Germany? France?
    Or are you talking about EFTA?
    True that EFTA would strongly resist having a single large country swinging its weight around.
    Any (already dead) hope of being in the EEA relied more on a bespoke deal, rather than EFTA membership, really.

[ I was going to start up my “May has killed any chance of us being in the Single Market” rant… but yesterday Corbyn finally confirmed that he is perfectly prepared to kill that option as well… no point blaming May anymore, there is consensus between our political “Leaders”… I need to modify and widen that rant considerably… ]

mefty
    Free Member

Another article for TJ. Reiterates all the points that been made. Although this quote particularly tickled me

One European banking boss quipped that the only way France would be top of his list would be if you turned it upside down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Jamba – no worries

binners

Anyone who did a little reading before the vote could have appreciated this or are we still playing the card that all LEAVERS were thick?

They were doing some Brexit thing on BBC North West the other night, and asked some mad old trout why she’d voted to leave. Her answer…

“well they made us have straight bananas and cucumbers, didn’t they, and the eggs aren’t right, are they?”

No… me neither. I do think there should have been a banana-related true or false question before you were allowed to vote. Given how slender the majority was, I think its safe to say that the thick-as-pigshit element definitely swung it

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Oh dear!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-39123982
    I’m sure there’s something positive for brexshitters to jump on. 🙁

binners

Taking back control?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Taking back control?

In a Mel Gibson talking down a suicide jumper kind of way?

AdamW
    Free Member

Which ones, the ones which were involved in opting out of the police and criminal matters (about 130) and then negotiating an immediate opt-in for the 31 she thought were worthwhile? Seems to indicate an ability to negotiate sensible compromises with our European partners.

This was because we were in a treaty which allowed us to do so if we so chose. Nothing to do with negotiation here.

Newsflash: we’re not in a treaty to allow us to pick and choose which bits of the EU we want.

kerley
    Free Member

Anyone who did a little reading before the vote could have appreciated this or are we still playing the card that all LEAVERS were thick?

It is well documented that on average the leavers were of lower intelligence. And the ones that were not thick were just intelligent racists 🙂

Most voters are thick which is exactly why you should not be asking them a direct question where they can give the wrong answer – but then we’ve been round that a few times already….

mefty
    Free Member

This was because we were in a treaty which allowed us to do so if we so chose. Nothing to do with negotiation here.

Only gave us opt out right in entirety, no automatic piecemeal opt in right that had to be negotiated both within the government and with the EU – see contemporaneous report.

mattyfez

Well done my fellow British people. We had it really good for about the last 40 years, but it obviously wasn’t good enough. Slow clap.

AdamW
    Free Member

Only gave us opt out right in entirety, no automatic piecemeal opt in right that had to be negotiated both within the government and with the EU – see contemporaneous report.

Looks like pushing at an open door with regards to this then, as all sides wanted those parts. Again not the same here.

binners

Given the way things are panning out – that our nations future is in the hands of a cult of rabid, flag-waving, xenophobic, uber right wing nut-job racists, there surely can’t be many large multinational companies who aren’t thinking exactly the same as Ford? That now may well be the perfect time to get the **** out of Dodge!

Its absolute insanity!

mattyfez

Chrysler own dodge, they should get the **** outa Ford.

I’ll get my coat.

kelvin

The thing is… companies can’t admit it… if you change your plans because of Brexit it’s wise to claim that it has nothing to do with Brexit, to avoid alienating half of UK consumers. So, move your production focus elsewhere, but make sure PR avoids blaming the “will of the people” to avoid increased risk of losing sales to “the people”.

mattyfez

Yeh hence why the official line from companies is ‘we are keeping things under constant review and making no promises’.

And we all know what that means.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cap’n,only had a quick skim read of your link. It wasnt immediately apparent which bit of Ford’s decision was related to Brexshit. Can you clarify for me? (skim read on a phone)

kimbers

ford have been warning that brexit was going to hurt them for a while

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170127/GLOBAL/170129856/ford-of-europe-bracing-for-600-million-brexit-currency-hit

with the Ministry for Brexshit warning departments that they should be prepping for a hard Brexit, this will come into play…

mrmo
    Free Member

Cap’n,only had a quick skim read of your link. It wasnt immediately apparent which bit of Ford’s decision was related to Brexshit. Can you clarify for me? (skim read on a phone)

If we take the report face value, Ford have no more work for the plant so are basically shutting it. They have lost JLR contract and there own demand has gone.
    Factory also less productive than others.

Alternative reading, we can’t be arsed to try and find some more work because of brexit so now is a good time to close. (keeping the minimum number of staff to ensure they get government subsidies)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Ford (1) aren’t hedging £ in 2017; (2) have no more work for the pleat; (3) have a Welsh factory with a relatively poor productivity record. I am being thick here because none of this seems to be a result of Brexshit. Happy to be corrected….

br
    Free Member

The Ford announcement sounded to me like they were admitting to have crap management, and NOW using it as justification to close/downgrade the plant.

mrmo
    Free Member

THM, being honest i think that is a fair appraisal, the only way to link it to brexit is that Ford can’t be arsed to find it work because of brexit. But then you have to ask where are the markets. Is there a need for the plant at the end of the M4 about as far from any sales market as possible? I don’t think it is easy to argue the plant actually makes sense in that location.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There will be a free rade deal for cars. The Germans and French will insist on it.

I see Junker has at least one option for “the future of the EU” that starts to move tiwards the direction many Europeans want, ie much less EU. EU to consist of only The Single Market with significant curbs on Freedom of Movement. Sounds like what the British where told the EEC would be back in 1975

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was juts reading that Jambas – Junkers Plan 2!!

Hopes of compromise increase by the day.

What his plans still fail to re-iterate is the white elephant in the room. A single currency requires monetary, fiscal and political union. Without this it has to fail. Waste of 32 pages.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@captain if it’s worst case scenarios you are looking for I can come up with one for the collpase of the eurozone a recession equal to that of the 1930’s

All a bit unnecesary as I voted to stay – we had a brilliant deal. All those slagging off * CMD look pretty silly now

We had a terrible deal, absolutely appalling. Nothing like the EU exists anywhere else in the world as its a sh.t idea. Cameron looks a total arse although in fairness less of one than Osbourne. Cameron had no choice other than to laud his efforts as Herculean and a sucess when in reality it was a failure from the start.

As for the ballot paper being A3 it was a hell of a lot more of a detailed question on the EEC/EU than I have ever had the chance to vote on since I turned 18 in 1981. Both campaigns and especially Remain made it clear it was a one off Referendum and voting Leave meant leaving the single market with 100% certainty.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TMH Junker and Sepp Blatter are cut from the same cloth. I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw the Dictator (Junker’s disgraceful nickname for the Hungarian PM)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary we had an amazing deal that will be significantly better than the one that we will end up with. Special status membership of the EU without the Euro, Shengen, closer political union, liabilities to EZ etc..

Brilliant position – turning that down is the biggest example of political, economic and social self-harm in modern history.

Still it is the will of the people.

kelvin

People really can’t see how Ford cutting their investment in a plant that will be making engines that will only go into cars built in EU countries might be linked to planning for us leaving the Single Market? Existing engines coming to end of life… true. Huge investment announced for production of new engine as part of EU strategy… true. Investment now cut by two thirds… true. Why? Because plans for EU production must be adjusted to allow for us leaving EU. Not rocket science. It’s also obvious why companies must fight to keep “Brexit” out of all PR to do with EU production plans… I spelt it out clearly at the top of this page…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

is that blue peter rocket science or NASA rocket science?

kelvin

It’s not even mentos and cola rocket science.

mrmo
    Free Member

Kelvin, I would suggest that brexit might be the coup de grace, but the plant was not in the right place, had lost contracts etc. and would have gone in time anyway.

I would suggest that looking at Nissan, BMW, Airbus, and their plans is more important.

mattyfez

teamhurtmore – Member
    is that blue peter rocket science or NASA rocket science?

What would be good is space-X science as they seem to be the only people capable of rocket science these days.

NASA don’t seem to do anything useful in terms of development.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ll just let you read it again, I can’t believe that you’re not smart enought ot see it, you’re usually so good at these things. I guess you’re just being obtuse for effect.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh you are such a tease Cpn and you picked the article special like!!!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Oh you are such a tease Cpn and you picked the article special like!!!

I didn’t pick it special for you, like, did I? Poor liitle poppet, haven’t you worked out the Brexshit connection yet?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, go on give me a clue….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

No, go on give me a clue….

Poor liitle thing, and to think they gave you a vote too. 😐

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know and I voted remain – incredible isn’t it .

Still no clues…..?

Viewing 40 posts - 24,241 through 24,280 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.