Viewing 40 posts - 24,201 through 24,240 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I think really gets me about Jacob Rees Mogg (and his ilk)is that he is the embodiment of that attitude that, us Brits, are just a cut above everybody else and that is why everything’s going to work out fine in the end; all we need to do is reacquaint Europe of this fact.

Well, at least gunboat diplomacy is vaguely entertaining – which will be the only upside to Brexit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When I lived in Oxford the Leyland site was absolutely huge, the Mini factory is tiny by comparison. Yes we’d rather keep it but there would never have been any long term “guaranty” of UK production. As above car production lines are expensive to move.

I’ll wager cars and car manufacuring will have a tariff free deal at zero cost.

BMW Production. Isn’t it something like all X3/5’s are built in the States inc for export to Europe. They seem to manage tariff issues there no ?

mattyfez

mefty – Member
    Jacob wasn’t born into serious money.

Rees-Mogg was educated at Eton College and subsequently read history at Trinity College, Oxford.

Then went he went into politics. Well rounded individual? Come off it, he’s never actually had a job.

He’s never worried about his pension or mortgage.

He’s a charlatan.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He has, he was a client of mine in the 90s. Looks like he is still wearing same suit and tie too. New and Lignwood (Eton) finest?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Even if he did THM, he was an investment manager when house prices in London were still semi-sensible and stories of city workers doing coke off strippers tits at lunchtime were still doing the rounds.

He has nothing in common with most of the middle classes.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Can’t comment on those details except to confirm that those extras never appeared at any of the lunches he attended at our offices.

Nice claret perhaps.

True, there is little “common” about JR-M. heaven forbid !

mattyfez

I’ll wager cars and car manufacuring will have a tariff free deal at zero cost

So would I. Tax breaks from government back handers.

mefty
    Free Member

Rees-Mogg was educated at Eton College and subsequently read history at Trinity College, Oxford.

Neither of which in those days required serious money, and in the case of the latter still doesn’t. Even today, if your kid is seriously bright you can go to Eton for nothing, they have the most generous scholarships of pretty much any school.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

True.

But you can also get into the latter by donating a **** tonne of money to the college, or by knowing the right people. I know someone who flunked out of Cambridge and was let back in because….family contacts.

mattyfez

teamhurtmore – Member
    He has

He has what?

mefty
    Free Member

Of course you do, Tom (Added for clarity)

mefty
    Free Member

He has what?

Had a proper job, he was an Investment Manager for many years and set up his own firm with some colleagues in 2007 which now has a few billion under management.

igm

Nice house his father had.

Probably very little money left over after buying that.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Coming from a family with teachers in top privates, I do. 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

My cousin used to chair the governors of a reasonable school, the former teacher representing the teaching staff on that body used to waste their time discussing scurrilous gossip, perhaps its a universal failing of the profession in those places?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

He was also a mate of mine 😉

Both Cambridge and Oxford are or at least were pretty corrupt in my opinion.

The only reality in which JRM isn’t an overprivileged dickhead, is that of a Russian oligarchs.

tjagain

Rees Mogg
    The man who took his nanny door to door campaigning
    Well in touch with the common folk

mattyfez

mefty – Member
    His father was editor of the Times so he was very influential and was one of the great and the good.

Great and the good what, exactly?

And please don’t say manager of an investment firm that he probably paid someone to manage for him anyway because he probably can’t do maths anyway, his degree is in history.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll wager cars and car manufacuring will have a tariff free deal at zero cost

Which is partly why your logic and maths falls into the Trump area of expertise…
    The amount paid to the EU has just about disappeard already, it’s being allocated 2 or 3 times over.
    Don’t worry tarrifs will save us (you know paid for by the public and business alike) so we have to pay more to subsidise things ie less money in pockets (along with a weaker pound)
    So then we are going to get rid of any kind of tarrifs and effectivly subsidise buisness to stay put (who will be leaving ASAP if the bribes run out)
    So far I see more in the red column than the black one.

br
    Free Member

BMW Production. Isn’t it something like all X3/5’s are built in the States inc for export to Europe. They seem to manage tariff issues there no ? [/I]

I’ve already answered you on this (in another post maybe?), it’s because of the TARRIF’S in the USA for 4×4’s – and as that’s the largest market for these types of vehicles you build them there and export back to other countries.

Don’t worry tarrifs will save us (you know paid for by the public and business alike) so we have to pay more to subsidise things ie less money in pockets (along with a weaker pound)

I also pointed this out previously, and no one seemed to pick up on the ‘we pay’ bit…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@b r apologies I missed your earlier reply but it makes my point I think. Just becasue tariffs exist doesn’t mean its unattractive to put production abroad. Same point on Japanese cars, we buy plenty that are built in Japan.

@mike my point was the EU will IMO agree a tariff free deal for cars and auto manufacuring, its an obvious subset of the single market. Its listed as one of TM’s priorities in the Government strategy paper. This deal will involve no budget payment either way (as the benefit to the EU will be offset against benefits we are looking for elsewhere eg financial services)

Tom Oxford and Cambridge are ranked at the top of World Universities due to the quality of their teacheing, research and students. They really do represent the best in general terms. We as a country should be rightly proud of such excellence. I sat the entrance exam back in 1980 when it was an advatgae to come from a private school as they got specific coaching in the unique exams and as a state school boy I did not. That’s all changed now. Eton is a fabulous school for a broad variety of reasons and is an example of combining academic excellence with ofher personal skills. It rightly has an oitstanding reputation worldwide.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This deal will involve no budget payment either way (as the benefit to the EU will be offset against benefits we are looking for elsewhere eg financial services)

Be interested to see how it actually plays out though as there is a lot of negotiating to do
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39123604
    Kicking off in the lords though

kimbers

Tom Oxford and Cambridge are ranked at the top of World Universities due to the quality of their teacheing, research and students. They really do represent the best in general terms. We as a country should be rightly proud of such excellence

and now thanks to brexit they can expect to find things tougher to maintain their reputations, both unis believing wed have been better in

still the old folk got their way and we are on our way out

mrmo
    Free Member

Be interested to see how it actually plays out though as there is a lot of negotiating to do
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39123604
    Kicking off in the lords though

Good, any argument about reciprocal rights is crap and shouldn’t even be on the table. You live here discussion over. Just an example of the xenophobia being shown by certain parts of the Tory party aided and abetted by the Labour party.

I really had hoped the UK would be better than this, obviously i was wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really had hoped the UK would be better than this

I put a lot of the blame at May’s door. It seems to be her general xenophibia that’s setting the tone of the debate. A leader could easily have accepted the referendum result and taken the middle ground, a conciliatory aproach, but she deliberately didn’t do this and marched off to the right. This enables all the xenophobes and ignores all the moderates.

A very bad thing she is doing. It makes a drastic result much more drastic instead of tempering it.

mrmo
    Free Member

I put a lot of the blame at May’s door.

Look at her actions at the home office. It says all you need to know IMO.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary, and despite Major’s ill-advised comments, there have been conciliatory comments from both sides – even bloody Verhofstadt, which is saying something. I have been comforted by both May and Barnier’s rhetoric and common sense, followed up by the Bundesbank which is not normally associated with conciliatory tones.

May has simply reminded people of some home truths about the vote and what it means. That we, the losers, are trying to re-write history is the sad part. We are still rehashing the same arguments – arguments that were lost – instead of focusing on the job at hand. One of the few people who is exempt from this is the PM.

So far, so good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

May has simply reminded people of some home truths about the vote and what it means. That we, the losers, are trying to re-write history is the sad part.

you really did get a different ballot paper to everyone else

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes mine was the A3 version with all the permutations and options on. I was able to weight each of the options and critique each one. A rare ballot paper. All a bit unnecesary as I voted to stay – we had a brilliant deal. All those slagging off * CMD look pretty silly now

* albeit he deserved slagging off for overselling his “important clarifications” as being part of restructuring the EU. That WAS BS and steaming BS at that. Probably his biggest mistake.

kerley
    Free Member

and saw a different result than the almost too close to call 51/49.

Any decent leader would take that close vote as requiring a middle ground approach. She is acting as though the vote was 90/10.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes mine was the A3 version with all the permutations and options on. I was able to weight each of the options and critique each one. A rare ballot paper.

Must have been as you Jamby, TM, Borris, Nige and chewkw all seem to know what leave means but none of you really agree on that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Odd that – imagine trying to fit all the permutations on a ballot paper!?!

No one knows what leave means other than we are giving up our membership of the EU. I havent mentioned this before but the rest is subject to considerable and lengthy NEGOTIATIONS…

…more to follow, no doubt

molgrips
    Free Member

May has simply reminded people of some home truths about the vote and what it means.

AFTER the vote! Not very bloody useful.

I can sort of see what you’re trying to say, but you have to admit the consequences of the result were massively dependent on the attitude of those implementing it, don’t you?

We could have had Norway, Switzerland, or something else – there were loads of options. May has chosen one.

I havent mentioned this before but the rest is subject to considerable and lengthy NEGOTIATIONS

Of course, but you go into negotations with a POSITION and that’s May’s own decision.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I havent mentioned this before but the rest is subject to considerable and lengthy NEGOTIATIONS…

But yet you seem to want to agree that ruling things out before we start is fine. Maybe you need some caffeine 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I do not believe that any option is ruled out – Norway is clearly challenging not least because of FoM but also that

1. It is not clear that other EEA members would want the UK
    2. It is only a partial solution esp re movement of goods

Anyone who did a little reading before the vote could have appreciated this or are we still playing the card that all LEAVERS were thick?

May has not chosen one – she is going for a bespoke deal rather than one of the existing options. Again a little reading is your friend.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

May has not chosen one – she is going for a bespoke deal rather than one of the existing options.

Ah bespoke, all options open then???

are we still playing the card that all LEAVERS were thick?

It only took about a million, plenty of them could be complete idiots.

mrmo
    Free Member

May has simply reminded people of some home truths about the vote and what it means

She has simply hijacked the wishes of 25% of the resident population to hell with the wishes of 25% who expressed a contra-opinion, and as for the 50% who weren’t able to vote or chose not to. She has ignored the situation in Gibraltar and NI which are far more complicated. Puching the idea that it will be fine etc. Where was the condemnation of press attacks on the judiciary?

Looking at her record at the Home Office i am not optimistic and do wonder if she is simply a xenophobe herself and pushing her personal agenda. After all it seems it was the UK who blocked the EU trade deal with India. Those go home poster that were issued on her watch. etc.

Also the minor detail of her own departmental conflicts with European courts.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sensible option is to assign probabilities to the various options rather than rule any out at this stage. Pink lines and all that.

At present EEA would appear to have the lowest probability for both obvious and less obvious reasons.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone who did a little reading before the vote could have appreciated this or are we still playing the card that all LEAVERS were thick?

Most voters don’t read much – you must acknowledge that.

And you might know better than me but it certainly loks like May is taking a hard line. Unless it’s bluff?

mefty
    Free Member

Look at her actions at the home office.

Which ones, the ones which were involved in opting out of the police and criminal matters (about 130) and then negotiating an immediate opt-in for the 31 she thought were worthwhile? Seems to indicate an ability to negotiate sensible compromises with our European partners.

Viewing 40 posts - 24,201 through 24,240 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.