Viewing 40 posts - 23,841 through 23,880 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

Theresa May to fight 2020 election on plans to take Britain out of European Convention on Human Rights after Brexit is completed

Of course it’s related to brexit, it is not possible without brexit and it’s one of the reasons why she is in favour of brexit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TJ since 2008 there must have been 250,000 job losses in the City. The majority of people I know 45+ have been made redundant and won’t in all likelihood get another job in banking. Barclays laid off something like 3,000 highly paid people (avg £200k pa) in 2015 just before Christmas and it didn’t even make the papers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well she has been desperate to get away from it so why not stick it in there….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thank you captain, but we already have confirmation that Brexshit does not affect our membership of ECHR from b r

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Its entirely related to Brexshit though, they are pursuing both Brexit and exit from the ECHR to achieve a common goal.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve just installed the google addon,the political threads suddenly make a lot more sense,an annoying buzzing in my ear has vanished,and my blood pressure appears to be returning to normal 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shame nobody told UKIP that, anyway whats to stop her just adding it to her little red lines…

br
    Free Member

Thank you captain, but we already have confirmation that Brexshit does not affect our membership of ECHR from br [/I]

FFS get a grip. What world do you live in that night doesn’t follow day?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Capn, you are conveniently forgetting that

1. She was in favour of remain
    2. The Gov was in favour of remain
    3. She is executing something that she didn’t want but the majority of voters voted for

So the attempt to put 2 and 2 together to make 8 is flawed from the outset.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The old word before #posttruth politics where people were prepared to deal with facts not fiction.

I appreciate that I am out of touch in that respect. Let’s just banter around with fiction, makes much better froth.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You suggested that we’ll leave the ECHR. I put it to you that this is untrue and merely an example of more scaremongering of which there has been much on this page alone

That’s what you said THM.

I agree that leaving the ECHR is not an automatic consequence of brexit. However, it is May’s stated plan to do this after brexit, and she can only do it after brexit. What you call “untrue” and “scaremongering” is explicitly stated as the PM’s plan in that article.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It isn’t, correct. Glad that’s cleared up.

Who knows what 2020 will bring?

Its untrue to claim that well leave the ECHR.

Anyway I am going to watch PMQ – haven’t heard from Jezza for a while

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1. She was in favour of remain She kept really quiet
    2. The Gov was in favour of remain and they are also in favour of a lot of things
    3. She is executing something that set didn’t want but the majority of votes for with her own slant on things, a lot of interpretation going on in there

4 She is a long standing critic of EU courts and human rights from them as it kept getting in her way of doing things because she never bothered to check if it was allowed….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and 2020 is not the real problem it’s what gets lumped in the “Great Repeal Bill” of stuff we don’t like and we have a majority that is the real issue.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

She may be

Still that doesn’t mean that Brexit affects out membership of the ECHR. It doesn’t. Simple.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

2020 is important if it is true that May wants to ADD membership of the ECHR to the manifesto for the next GE

Otherwise it’s a red herring and mere scaremongering. QED

slowoldman

The article b_r linked to states:
    “The Prime Minister is understood to be backing plans to “lift and shift” human rights enshrined in the European Convention and write them into UK law”.

It cites the issue of a couple of terrorists it was difficult to “deal with” because the ECHR got in the way. So the change which affects us all is to cover a vanishingly small number of incidents.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a rollin thing though, what gives you confidence that TM is acting in the best interest of the entire country at this point? Not many think she is or the party/idiots she leads. With no effective opposition this is a really dangerous time for the country, it gives a higher level of power to one side and in this time of major change where the main aim is to shut people out that is never going to end well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

She is getting on with things while others want to ignore reality

Agree that the opposition is weak, especially it’s leadership but let’s not forget this government has a slim majority and is in a quite weak position. In the case of Brexshit, the Oppo agreed with the Gov and made the majority significantly higher.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

May was never a commited remainer, she has always been and always will be a political opportunist.

I think it is you THM, who is ignoring the reality of what May wants to achieve.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyone else fit that description – the “leader” of the Oppo for example?

Simple fact is: the government promised to respect and implement the result of the vote. That is what is happening. Call it what you like….it doesn’t change anything

On the contrary, I am one of the few remainers who is prepared to accurately represent what May is doing. You, in contrast, prefer to exaggerate for effect. I don’t think this helps OUR case. Hence my reference to the FT article yesterday

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah if in doubt whataboutery…
    Do you trust TM? Would you leave her the keys to your house (bad question she has a copy and the alarm codes and use of your web cams)
    reminds me of the news quiz last week, you wouldn’t trust the Trumps to feed your cat while you were on holiday it would end up dead or pregnant. TM would probably use it for a fabric sample for her next outfit

jambalaya
    Free Member

Offline for a bit. Will catch up later 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I place little trust in politicians, hence I am always surprised by calls to have them controlling more of our economy. Madness in my mind.

Again refer to my reference to FT article yesterday. It mirrors my views well.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Back up the thread a bit but we do a fair bit of risk management and mitigation for clients (not moving businesses but risk is risk just like Brexit is Brexit)

Making a potential structural change to a business process due to a potential change is usually based upon hedging of bets v cost

So first question will be “if this change occurs what is the impact” and in this case it is potentially significant to certain banks. Second question what is the cost of mitigating that risk both in people and finances and in this case the banks can afford to relocate and take people with them. The last question is likley do want want to leave any resources in the high risk place to retain some foothold if the change does not occur?

Looking at it from this perspective with my risk “knowledge” I think all banks that may have a issue will probably take a 60/40 split. They will move 60% + of activity into the EU and leave a footprint behind- if Brexit is grim they will slowly move the remaining business to the EU if it’s good they will leave the footprint in place.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gulliver was referring to the issue of business that is directly covered by EU legislation. IIRC this account for 20% of HSBC’s revenues (although this could be 20% of their markets revenues, not 100% sure).

So he is referring to contingency plans for that aspect of their bussiness. Moving people is one solution but by no means the only one, As ever banks have ways of getting round thus eg, back-to-back trading etc

BoardinBob

I have told my MP if banks / financial services want a special deal with the EU THEY should pay for it. I’ll wager they’ll shut up pretty promptly. Moving their staff to another EU country will add 25-30% to staff costs

W T Actual F???

So hang on. Banks who had nothing to do with the EU vote, but could suffer severe consequences, should then pay for the privilege to be able to continue to do business as they have done, and if they can’t then they should be expected to swallow a 25% to 30% increase in staff costs (plus countless other costs)

You are an absolute fantasist.

A comfortable old man that says screw everyone else, I’m alright jack.

Edukator
    Free Member

In answer to Wicki a few pages back, I don’t see Brits in most European countries having much trouble post Brexit. I think there are about 150 000 Americans of voting age in France despite the bureaucratic obstacles (there was something about how French living Americans vote during the elections). The desire to exclude is one sided, and the being spat on and insulted (and worse)very one sided.

Even Le Pen excludes Europeans from her plans to repatriate immigrants.

What are the reactions to Macrons message to May, i.e. pay up or pay up?

mefty
    Free Member

What are the reactions to Macrons message to May, i.e. pay up or pay up?

French Presidential candidate making a comment to appeal to electorate is hardly news and certainly wasn’t here – it will be interesting to see if his Trump like campaign succeeds.

Pigface
    Free Member

Jamba said

TJ what a total load of bollix

The irony in that overwhelms me, Jamba you are such a hypocrite 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

This thread gets weirder. Jambas finally ( 😉 ) says something true on Brexshit* and he gets called a hypocrite.

Bizarre!

(* excuse the little joke there Jambas!)

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh THM you are such a wag, Jamba doesn’t know, you don’t know. I have a friend who is a banker in Singapore who says the same as TJ and he doesn’t know but one thing we all know Jamba is a hypocrite

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There’s more than one of those

(and I am directly involved, so sorry I know when someone is talking bllx too)

Pigface
    Free Member

THM yes you do, yes you do

mefty
    Free Member

To be fair, he is right in saying the risk is not that great. Banks with existing European operations will rejig if required and this will involve some transfer of staff. J P Morgan has actually been in France longer than the UK: Banks without an EU operation are looking to get approval in another jurisdiction, Ireland and the Netherlands being the most popular based on the guys I know. Where we will miss out is new businesses are unliekly to set up in London until the way forward is clear.

I think the insurance market has more issues.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed mefty but that doesn’t scare people enough

I worked for the UK’s oldest bank in paris in the 90s as did my wife (for a UK rival), nothing new and nothing new in the Paris/London/Frankfurt rivalry for financial services

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I hope the plans of now amis to add 375,000 sq m of new office space to accommodate their new amis anglais are not based on similarly over-hyped assumptions

7 new skyscrapers for La Defence….

amusing marketing tag line: “Tired of the fog? Try the frogs!” Tres amusant

mefty
    Free Member

Paris/London/Frankfurt rivalry for financial services

Although we tend to do quite well in this one

AD

Brilliant – wasn’t Brexit supposed to get rid of the all the nasty foreigners?
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/we-will-need-eu-migrants-for-years-admits-davis/ar-AAncHVo?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Done a few pages back!

Viewing 40 posts - 23,841 through 23,880 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.