Viewing 40 posts - 20,401 through 20,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • aracer
    Free Member

😆 – you must have misread my request, I was after examples of things which weren’t smoke and mirrors

aracer
    Free Member

Did you read their report, or are you just guessing?

jambalaya
    Free Member

May smashed it. Word perfect.

As Richard King from Sky tweeted smart to have pre-released key elements as the £ went up as she spoke.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aracer, a bit tongue in cheek of course 🙂

@Graham well that’s exactly what I always said and ditto the Leave Campaign. I don’t think anyone on the Leave side is against global trade opportunities. There are plenty of Remainers who try and paint Leavers that way

slowoldman

Well I’m no fan of May or the Tories, but I thought it was quite a sensible well presented speech. That does’t make me agree with it.

She made quite a big play about what we have to offer in terms of security, which sounds to me as though that 350m a week won’t be going to the NHS (!) but to Trident and the military.

The aim is to complete Brexir discussions in 2 years but then “phase in” changes. I wonder how long that will drag on? The votes in the 2 houses could (will?) give rise and plenty of amendments.

But what I can’t agree with at all is her assertion that the country is becoming united behind Brexit. That is utter nonsense.

igm

THM – at the end I think.

She says the UK will leave the single market
    UK wants bespoke free trade deal with the EU
    MPs and peers to get vote on final Brexit deal
    The UK is to start official process of leaving in EU in March

theotherjonv

Trump – not at the back of the QUEUE but front of the LINE (again showing that Obama’s speech was a setup by Cameron)

That’s just bollocks. I was just on a conference call with non-English speakers and deliberately chose language to match the understanding of my audience. If i was in America, I’d happily ask someone if this is the end of the ‘line’ to make myself understood.

jimster01

Tariff-free trade with the EU

Yeah, can see the EU agreeing to that one for starters.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does Jo Coburn not understand the difference between “membership of” and “access to”?

Fallon talking nonsense now with theft of democracy – wants another referendum. Do people never learn? Imagine a referendum question covering the details of a compromise deal. Seems like he needs to take 10 deep breaths

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting that you speak for all of them. Do we need to remind you again who you’re in bed with?

codybrennan
    Free Member

There’s no way May would have offered a vote if she thought she could have won at Court, ergo: she had doubts.

To play this as some kind of Churchillian master stroke is just a bit pathetic, really.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Remainer on Sky News very positive after the speech. Excited by the opportunities.

GrahamS

@Graham well that’s exactly what I always said and ditto the Leave Campaign. I don’t think anyone on the Leave side is against global trade opportunities. There are plenty of Remainers who try and paint Leavers that way

So do you reckon that the current analysis is wrong jamba?
    (i.e. that Brexit and Trump votes were driven by a growing anti-globalisation movement of people who feel they have somehow missed out or been left behind on the benefits of globalisation)

Or do you think that analysis is correct, but those voters are going to get the opposite of what they voted for?

Or is a “Global Britain” seeking trade deals, focusing globally, and expanding across the world, a different thing from “globalisation”?

kimbers

But what I can’t agree with at all is her assertion that the country is becoming united behind Brexit. That is utter nonsense.

indeed, I believe she labelled me a ‘citizen of knowhere’

she can kiss my butt 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Can we have a clue? Does one result in “not leaving the EU at all” (er, Norway)?

Imagine a referendum question covering the details of a compromise deal.

Yeah, what a ridiculous idea to have a referendum on something people can’t possibly be expected to understand.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was a remainer but still (reluctantly) impressed by the speech esp in relation to the claptrap that other politicians have come up with.

Nothing new. Soft FTA, but with enough areas of compromise dangled in front of our European friends. So looks like we are straddled between FTA (largely) and a CU. if you fall for the immigration is bad claptrap, then that is not a bad outcome. I would prefer FOM, so a qualified well done with making a good job of a bad lot. That’s all that can be asked for now.

jimster01

Interesting point raised on 5 live was when the final deal is put before Parliament and they vote against it what happens then?

On another point, my MD is based in Belgium and the general consensus is “It ain’t going to be pretty”

kimbers

Trump – not at the back of the QUEUE but front of the LINE (again showing that Obama’s speech was a setup by Cameron)

is that a fact??

The Odious Michael Gove:

“And now we’re at the front of the queue ?”

The Deplorable Donald Trump

“I think you’re doing great, I think Its going to be great”

😯

gummikuh

I think TM needs to stop saying “want” like a petulant child. She should replace want with “NEED”.

That would at least signal our seriousness to the situation.

crazy-legs

Given the post-truth phase of politics we seem to be in at the moment, I prefer to get my news from Daily Mash and similar sites as it’s usually more accurate…

http://newsthump.com/2016/10/11/hard-brexit-will-be-brilliant-for-britain-insists-complete-fcking-moron/

Uniting behind Brexit a bit hard if you think it’s shit

br
    Free Member

Interesting point raised on 5 live was when the final deal is put before Parliament and they vote against it what happens then?[/I]

The same as when you mention to you wife you’d like a new car, and she suggests otherwise – and then walks outside to see it parked on the drive?

aracer
    Free Member

Wow – in that latest Daily Mash one, they appear to have almost given up trying to make it appear satirical.

Ewan
    Free Member

Interesting point raised on 5 live was when the final deal is put before Parliament and they vote against it what happens then?

We drop out of the EU and default to WTO relationship at best. It’s not a second referendum, it will be: “Well this is best we could come up with – do you want this or would you prefer WTO rules (which we have done no planning for)”. The vote will pass overwhelmingly. And even if it didn’t we’ll still leave as once article 50 is triggered it’s inevitable.

Will someone turn out the lights in the UK on the way out.

cchris2lou

But I thought Jambalaya, you wanted the Exit as possible?

A bit the opposite?

mrmo
    Free Member

We drop out of the EU and default to WTO relationship at best. It’s not a second referendum, it will be: “Well this is best we could come up with – do you want this or would you prefer WTO rules (which we’ll have done no planning for)”. The vote will pass overwhelmingly. And even if it didn’t we’ll still leave as once article 50 is triggered it’s inevitable.

Will someone turn out the lights in the UK on the way out.

Doesn’t that depend on the outcome of one of the court cases. Is article 50 reversable or not?

certainly seems to be one of the governments arguments in a different case.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/11/brexit-could-be-reversed-government-lawyers-may-argue

kelvin

Labour spokesperson on radio4 claims that May just ruled out a hard Brexit and is doing what Labour have been calling for.

Waste of space.

br
    Free Member

We drop out of the EU and default to WTO relationship at best[/I]

No, you can’t just default to WTO, you need to apply (and be accepted).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization

Accession and membership

Main article: World Trade Organization accession and membership
    The process of becoming a WTO member is unique to each applicant country, and the terms of accession are dependent upon the country’s stage of economic development and current trade regime. The process takes about five years, on average, but it can last longer if the country is less than fully committed to the process or if political issues interfere. The shortest accession negotiation was that of the Kyrgyz Republic, while the longest was that of Russia, which, having first applied to join GATT in 1993, was approved for membership in December 2011 and became a WTO member on 22 August 2012. Kazakhstan also had a long accession negotiation process. The Working Party on the Accession of Kazakhstan was established in 1996 and was approved for membership in 2015. The second longest was that of Vanuatu, whose Working Party on the Accession of Vanuatu was established on 11 July 1995. After a final meeting of the Working Party in October 2001, Vanuatu requested more time to consider its accession terms. In 2008, it indicated its interest to resume and conclude its WTO accession. The Working Party on the Accession of Vanuatu was reconvened informally on 4 April 2011 to discuss Vanuatu’s future WTO membership. The re-convened Working Party completed its mandate on 2 May 2011. The General Council formally approved the Accession Package of Vanuatu on 26 October 2011. On 24 August 2012, the WTO welcomed Vanuatu as its 157th member. An offer of accession is only given once consensus is reached among interested parties.

phiiiiil

It remains overwhelmingly and compellingly in Britain’s national interest that the EU should succeed.

I wonder what the best way of ensuring that happens might be. Hang on, I think I’ve just had an idea…

Ewan
    Free Member

We drop out of the EU and default to WTO relationship at best

No, you can’t just default to WTO, you need to apply (and be accepted).

That was my point, if they’re offering a vote, one presumes there will be a choice. There is a chance they’ll drop to WTO and have done the pre-work, but I suspect it’ll be ‘vote for this or don’t and get something as yet undefined’.

aracer
    Free Member

I can’t believe they would give a vote on something where they have no idea what’s going to happen for one of the options.

DrJ

Remainer on Sky News very positive after the speech. Excited by the opportunities.

Yeah, me too – really excited by the prospect of MrsJ being only able to chat to me and her daughter by Skype. Hooray!!!!! Well done, Brexshitters!!!

P-Jay
    Free Member

kelvin – Member

Labour spokesperson on radio4 claims that May just ruled out a hard Brexit and is doing what Labour have been calling for.

Waste of space.

Who is this ‘Labour’ you speak of?

But seriously, has the media decided to boycott Labour or have they closed shop?

They’re snoozing and May is cleaning up – she’s putting the final nails into UKIPs coffin – even if she has to offer Farage a gong or a job so he doesn’t leap out of the woodwork again. Labour doesn’t appear to have much of a voice and the Liberals will be lucky to maintain a budget to keep them in staples till 2020.

She might as well call a snap election now – they’ll take England by a landslide, Scotland will re-elect SNP, lord only knows what we’ll do in Wales – Plaid will do well on a 20% turnout.

slowoldman

I did quite like these bits:
    “That is why I have said before – and will continue to say – that every stray word and every hyped up media report is going to make it harder for us to get the right deal for Britain.”

“So however frustrating some people find it, the Government will not be pressured into saying more than I believe it is in our national interest to say. Because it is not my job to fill column inches with daily updates, but to get the right deal for Britain. And that is what I intend to do”.

I ca only hope that really means **** off Murdock.

Ewan
    Free Member

I can’t believe they would give a vote on something where they have no idea what’s going to happen for one of the options.

😀

binners

Looks like we’re on our way to being a full on tax haven/unregulated corporatist neoliberal nirvana then?

Something to look forward too eh?

kimbers

philxx1975
    Free Member

I like many Remain voters felt the risk wasn’t worth taking – better the devil you know. Do I think we will be in a better position after leaving, no idea. There are too many unknowns, both known ones and unknown ones, for anyone to have a realistic handle on that – including Cambridge academics. However, I think it is narrow minded to say we can’t end up in a better position, but there is no certainty we will. The only thing I am sure of is that people will still be arguing about it in 30 years.

Now you need to seriously get off this thread…talking sense and bringing rational thinking to the infighting.

Looks like we’re on our way to being a full on tax haven/unregulated corporatist neoliberal nirvana then?

Unless your resident here obviously.

mefty
    Free Member

Did you read their report, or are you just guessing?

No the authors are – but at least they are well educated and honest about it.

We have arbitrarily assumed a loss of 10% of EU
    markets, i.e. around one sixth of that calculated by the Treasury, although our view
    is that even this may be a larger loss than actually materialises. We also assume
    that these market losses are offset by gains in non-EU markets over a 20 year
    period. Again this assumption may be overly pessimistic.

As I said there are a lot of unknowns.

kimbers

watching EU science funding opportunities dry up, I can say there are a few ‘knowns’

ahwiles
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

watching EU science funding opportunities dry up…

yup, it’s a crap time to be working in R&D.

it’s a good job we’re not trying to rebuild a manufacturing economy…

Viewing 40 posts - 20,401 through 20,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.