Viewing 40 posts - 19,961 through 20,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The finest Uni in the Uk isnt even in the Russell Group either 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

Mexico said they were going to increase trade with EU.
    At this rate we’ll end up with only a Russian controlled, bankrupt USA to trade with.
    If I were a conspiracy theorists…

richc
    Free Member

Does anyone else think that Jambo might have grabbed the ‘stupidest post of the year award’ in the 2nd week of January with this Gem:

Jambo – IMO the vast majority of the trade “negotiations” are going to be very simple

kimbers

At this rate we’ll end up with only a Russian controlled, bankrupt USA to trade with.

I can picture the supermarket now…. you can choose tesco or Trump branded products only

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

The finest Uni in the Uk isnt even in the Russell Group either

Maastricht?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Maastricht in the UK???

I now you are joking NW anyway, as no one forgets your country’s oldest and the UK’s second oldest (and finest) Uni

(at least until AS opens his mouth and then we all cringe)

igm

What button did I press mentioning Russell Group unis?

It’s a joke at home because my degrees are from two respected in their fields but non-Russell unis, while my wife has two Russell Group degrees.

igm is bemused.

kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IGM – its the 15-16:00 energy low and we are easily distracted

I’m 50:50 FWIW

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

Maastricht in the UK???

It’s the fastest growing university for UK students, and easier to get to for most folks than Aberdeen. Same as Schiphol is our hub airport 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mini THM1 did look at it too! [Maastricht not Aberdeen!]

Dont mention distances though – mini THM2 has major clobber for next semester, so I may be driving North in a few days time. Will have to avoid duckie’s border guards, but some golf might be in order!! Bloody long drive though, but had a nightmare with unibaggage.com before

igm

Bob in for a pint if you’re through York on the way.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Would be nice, but I use the west coast route sorry.

Good trivial pursuit question – which is further west, Edinburgh or Carlisle? I am amazed at how many people use the east coast route which is much, much longer

(waves at Cody!! 😉 )

codybrennan
    Free Member

Now I’m scared….. 🙂

igm

Even from York A64, A1, A66, M6/74, A702 is shorter than A64 then A1 all the way.

How did this get on a Brexit thread?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Be very scared 😉

It’s c) BTW 😉

Just joking tbc!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrips quite a bit as a matter of fact. 11 years working for one of the worlds largest trade finance banks (behind only Citibank and HSBC) and 3 years directly on global trade related transactions, then the last 4 years investing in them. Did my first global trade finance transaction with Glencore in the late 1990’s (first ever such deal)

TMH don’t want the EEA either. Outside the lot.

@kelvin the EU isn’t worth paying for and has curtailed our traditional Commonwealth relationships and severely restricted us in our ability to forge new alliances.

@Northwind, frankly there is a pecking order. It is what it is. BBC clearly used the headline to mislead including a photo of the Radcliff Camera (the event was being held at Oxford Uni – the real one), a significant chunk of the readership would not understand that Oxford Brookes isn’t Oxford Uni itself or an Oxford Uni College

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jamabs – c’mon, you know that stuff about the commonwealth is not true, just check waht happened with our trade deals with the commonwealth immediately when we joined. Negotiating as part of the EU has facilitated and accelerated our abilty to establish free trade deals. One reason why we have trade deals with close to 90% of our trading partners, guess what happens to these deals now?

From the LSE

Contrary to the myth that the UK ‘betrayed’ the Commonwealth by joining the EU in 1973, the majority of Commonwealth countries – those located in Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific – were in fact incorporated into the EU’s system of trade preferences at this time.  Under the 1975 Lomé Convention, this arrangement provided the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries with unilateral preferential access to the EU market, a series of lucrative commodity protocols for bananas, beef, rum and sugar and development finance through the European Development Fund.  The EU’s special relationship with the ACP countries served to preserve and extend the UK’s links with this group of former colonies at a time when the Commonwealth was otherwise fractious and divided.

kelvin

@kelvin the EU isn’t worth paying for and has curtailed our traditional Commonwealth relationships and severely restricted us in our ability to forge new alliances.

Bullshit. Utter Bullshit.

Look at EU India trade talks, it is a series of UK governments, obsessed about immigration and protectionism for finance services, that has always been the stumbling block. The UK has curtailed relationships with Commonwealth countries as regards trade. In particular, in the HO, and now as PM, May is the biggest block to any trade deal with India in particular, due to her two big red lines… one is because looking to keep out immigrants is her political ticket into power, and to stay there… the other is because she will protect The City industries at all cost, it is where her family and friends make their livings.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am done with the bias towards Europe, time for a more level playing field.

We absolutely can have a trade deal without significantly increased immigration from India. As I have noted before we’ve had a close relationship with India for 100 years leading to approx 1m Indians resident in the UK Poland got there in 10. Yes of course India asked for more visas, why wouldn’t they ?

Protectionist tariffs on lamb killed our long term trade relationship with NZ. I have far more trust in NZ animal husbandry than hugely discredited Eastern Europeans wrt pork, poultry and of course horse burgers.

Nipper99
    Free Member

we’ve had a close relationship with India for 100 years leading

That was called an empire and they’re generally frowned upon.

kimbers

So when is Borris going to visit Bob so Liam can start hashing out a trade deal

kimbers

. I have far more trust in NZ animal husbandry than hugely discredited Eastern Europeans wrt pork, poultry and of course horse burgers

That’s the problem with just making random statements based on your own prejudices, it leaves you open to looking silly

http://www.noted.co.nz/currently/social-issues/inside-the-new-metro-scandal-in-the-slaughterhouse/

http://www.safe.org.nz/articles/010714/horrific-nz-pig-cruelty-exposed-again

kelvin

I know people who’s grandparents were immigrants from Poland, don’t go suggesting Polish UK links are either week or new, they are not. I’ve worked with lots of people from India, and the visa restrictions for them working here are a complete pain in the arse. Anyone that thinks that us making it harder for Polish people to live and work here will result in workers from India having an easier time here are deluding themselves (or attempting to delude others). Anyone that thinks that the EU is stopping us trading with the rest of the world, likewise. Quite the opposite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike – why do we need to carry on with the narrative that we don’t know what we want? The issues are really very simple:

Back a page but I had to go to the pub, it’s evidence based THM the 3 leading people on the case seem to be unable to keep things consistent with the PM, the ones on the sideline want something else at times and what they want is generally being dismissed as impossible by the people they need to agree it with.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s about making it a level playing field kelvin. Same for everyone.

kimbers you won’t read about the Eastern European stuff as it’s covered up by the EU. 6 countries are in breach of the animal welfare standards for pigs but they are allowed to freely export to the rest of the EU. We have abuses in our country but when they are discovered they are sorted out. My belief is the EU turned a blind eye as it was all sold to Russia cheaply, now with samctions that doesn’t happen.

BoardinBob

Genuine question. Entire countries in breach of just certain abattoirs have been found to be in breach. I would honestly struggle to believe it’s an entire country (or six)

Any links?

kelvin

It’s about making it a level playing field kelvin. Same for everyone.

No, it’s about making things worse for people you have no affinity for.
    And worse for UK business to work on the international stage.
    You want to level down.
    You want to dispose of the trade deals we have.
    You want to remove travel and working rights from people across Europe.
    As it happens, it looks like most of the country feels the same way as you.
    Some of us want to raise up.
    We want to do more trade, with more countries.
    We want people to be able to more easily work and live in more countries.
    I accept there are fewer of us.

BoardinBob

You want to remove travel and working rights from people across Europe.
    As it happens, it looks like most of the country feel the same way as you.

Actually i suspect most that voted because because they wanted to curb immigration to the UK would probably NOT want any travel restrictions placed on the British. I suspect it’s a terribly one sided viewpoint

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s about making it a level playing field kelvin. Same[b] Near impossible[/b] for everyone.

It was the stated aim of this government to reduce immigration, huge amounts were made about the problems of immigration in the debate. It is about keeping foreigners out of the UK.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you describing a race to the bottom or politics of envy there?

I’m wondering if your bias is so inherent that you’ll support the notion of “making it a level playing field” on this thread if I point out that one way to make the playing field more level is hugely progressive taxation system (ie top rate >90%)?

bikeeey
    Free Member

Out. Can’t stand Juncker dictating to and bullying us.

We shovel huge amounts into the EU coffers and then get told how to spend the fraction we get back.

There was/still is a substantial concerted effort to frighten us into remaining, but all the doom and gloom predictions have been wrong so far and not just by a small amount.

Britain’s economy is stating to boom and despite the challenges ahead, Brexit presents huge opportunity for our future prosperity.

I principally voted leave as I value democracy and freedom.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Out. Can’t stand Juncker dictating to and bullying us.

We shovel huge amounts into the EU coffers and then get told how to spend the fraction we get back.
    any facts to actually back that up?

There was/still is a substantial concerted effort to rughrennus inti remaining, but all the doom and gloom predictions have been wrong so far and not just by a fraction.

Britain is statring to boom and despite the challenges ahead, Brexit presents huge opportunity for our future prosperity.
    again any facts? The UK has not left yet, any positives are happening while being part of the EU.

2 very important things that being part of the EU doesn’t remove, we are just part of a larger democracy which has MP’s who are voted for and represent you.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

kimbers you won’t read about the Eastern European stuff as it’s covered up by the EU. 6 countries are in breach of the animal welfare standards for pigs but they are allowed to freely export to the rest of the EU. We have abuses in our country but when they are discovered they are sorted out. My belief is the EU turned a blind eye as it was all sold to Russia cheaply, now with samctions that doesn’t happen.

My belief, I think, in my opinion etc counts for diddly squat. Today’s homework is to go away and come up with some evidence, some hard facts, something that supports your belief.
    I would like you to show that 6 countries are breaching EU rules and is doing nothing about it, and that these privately run companies anre any worse than the UK’
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/28/fsa-4000-breaches-animal-welfare-laws-uk-abattoirs-two-years
    One has to wonder whether those UK figures will go up or down after we split. I mean, we’re brimming to overflowing with civil servants in this country, aren’t we?

molgrips
    Free Member

What about cooperation and integration?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Out. Can’t stand Juncker dictating to and bullying us. Always better to run away towardds an uncertain future than standing up to bullies. Go us!

We shovel huge amounts into the EU coffers and then get told how to spend the fraction we get back. 99/100s is a fraction. What is the fraction that you’re talking about? What are we putting and what are we getting out as a whole?

There was/still is a substantial concerted effort to frighten us into remaining, but all the doom and gloom predictions have been wrong so far and not just by a small amount. Whereas, and we do come back to that bus, getting our border (that never went away) back and the scaremongering of immigration from leave was what exactly?

Britain’s economy is stating to boom and despite the challenges ahead, Brexit presents huge opportunity for our future prosperity. 0.6% over 3 months as opposed to an annual figure of 2.5%, your dictionary is broken if boom means remaining the same. Let’s wait and see what happens after A50 is triggered and the BS stops and reality kicks in. I imagine that when the other 48% of the population get behind Brexshit, the economy will truly boom. 🙄

I principally voted leave as I value democracy and freedom. ‘Coz we didn’t have those before.
    Good luck in your new found freedom where pavements are gold.

kimbers

So it turns out that Mays experienced safe pair of hands pick for EU ambassador is the one that passed the dirty trump dossier onto the FBI…. how is his position looking?
    I wonder if trump will mention it when he meets May, we have to keep him sweet so we can get a new TTIP trade deal set up

Markie
    Free Member

Well. After toing and froing I voted in.

What I wanted (and want) us to be in is a reformed EU, but figured we were better off as a thorn inside an unreformed EU than as a European country trying to deal with the EU as it now is!

However, a new dream scenario now presents itself. If the Irish court case says that article 50 is reversible it seems to put us in an awesome position. Work out the deal for 1 year 11 months, don’t like it, cancel brexit and then kick it all off again.

The EU sans UK wouldn’t like this game, but tough. They could end the game by kicking us out of the EU, but that would take a unanimous decision, so fat chance?

The real stumbling block is that the UK government probably isn’t up for playing hardball in this way, but as I said, it’s a dream!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not a great deal to add..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 19,961 through 20,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.