Viewing 40 posts - 19,601 through 19,640 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Brexit : Chinese official said : “UK is the door to European markets. With no access to Single Market It’s just a door”

Go Brexit..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Nipper99 – Member

Brexit : Chinese official said : “UK is the door to European markets. With no access to Single Market It’s just a door”

Go Brexit.. [/quote]
    Wasn’t this the reason that Nissan came in the first place?
    If we’re lucky they’ll take a few of their staff when they go and and help with the immigration figures too. 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

Edukator thnaks for no paywall access. Brooes yes big picture stuff, all maybes etc. Is what I would say. A bit ironic he calls Trump protectionist as that tag could not be more apt for the EU

The countries in difficulty were put in more difficulty because of Germany’s refusal to fund debt with Eurobonds in the same was as the Fed funds states in difficulty with money at low interset rates.

The countries where in trouble on their own with a dollop of help from the misconceived euro. Germany is not stupid, the euro is misconceived so issuing bonds which ultimately it wouod be responsible for backing makes absolutely no sense what so ever. In fact it would be financial suicide. The US is one big country. The EU should not have introduced the euro until it was one big superstate.

Nipper if we want the country and lifestyle I think we all share we cannot be in the EU IMO

I am a bit confused about China posters, I thought they where the arch enemy and Osbourne was Satan for wanting to encourage investment from them ? Personally I am good with limited Chinese investment and continued tariffs, maybe even higher than currently on various items.

jambalaya
    Free Member

May will be interviewed on Sky News tomorrow at 10, good news is that it will be freely available online and on replay links.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Interesting post on reddit this evening about the ‘bubbles’ issue and the worlds we all inhabit: cut and paste alert, but I think this is absolutely key in understanding the divisions (voting and others) in the UK-

“This isn’t by any means a summary of the entire issue but it is a key point that I don’t see get the attention it deserves.
    For the most part, Leavers and Remainers don’t interact with the same Europeans. This is an absolutely crucial point.
    If you live in London or Bristol or somewhere similar then most of the EU immigrants you’ve met are probably some combination of educated, affluent, working professionals (and lets face it mostly Western/Northern Europeans). I’m a scientist so my European friends are more intelligent and harder working than most of my English friends. Partially on the basis of this I voted remain.
    But if I lived in an ex-industrial town up north and all the EU immigrants I’d ever encountered were low-skill labourers from Eastern Europe who could barely speak English and had moved in to replace the friendly English family who used to live next door, maybe I would have a different perception. It would seem like an invasion of people who didn’t share my culture. Voting Leave would have been the easy and obvious choice.
    So if you (like me) are still a bitter remoaner, try and bear in mind that other peoples interaction with Europeans may not be the same as yours.”

Interesting insight. 2 worlds, almost touching each other.

br
    Free Member

Wasn’t this the reason that Nissan came in the first place?

Its the reason most internationals base themselves in the UK when they want to have a crack at Europe. Also don’t forget both Honda and Toyota plants:

Vehicles per annum
    Honda – 122k
    Nissan – 500k
    Toyota – 172k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_the_United_Kingdom#2011_to_present

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So if you (like me) are still a bitter remoaner, try and bear in mind that other peoples interaction with Europeans may not be the same as yours.”

Interesting insight. 2 worlds, almost touching each other.
    Then there is the 3rd bubble where they don’t actually interact with any but believe what Mail/Express etc. are pumping out about crisis this/takeover that etc. The immigration issue is over inflated by those who want to make it an issue.

and while Australian immigration is once again being help up here is a sample of the updated citizenship test 😉
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-08/take-the-new-improved-australian-citizenship-test/8165646

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Germany is not stupid,

In which case it is simply a bad partner. The EZ needs surpluses to be re-circulated if it is to work. That’s basic. Germany remains in denial over this and the fact that creditors also have to take haircuts for making bad decisions. Blaming periphery countries is disingenuous. Germany is as much to blame for the failure of the EZ as the PIIGS

jambalaya
    Free Member

On Reddit piece which I think is illuminative I would add that the majority of my international colleagues are global, in fact very few are European. My primary interaction with Europeans work wise would be at the cleaner/ au pair end of the spectrum. Most of the colleagues I worked with at German Banks where not German or even European.

Germany is as much to blame for the failure of the EZ as the PIIGS

Perhaps more so ? They designed it, they ignored what was happening in Greece. They set the behavoural standard when they fiddled their own figures so they could join ! etc look who just got the big sub-prime fine Deutsche, the Lanesbanks stuffed full of it via CDOs … Where was the Bundesbank / BaFin ?

br
    Free Member

Remind me again, are we in the EZ?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Most of the colleagues I worked with at German Banks where not German or even European.

Odd, the people I worked with in European Banks, from director down, were European. One of those being Deutsche Bank, another PNB Paribas to name but two.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yet more experts

Why do these agreements take so long? The last generation of trade agreements was focused mainly on removing tariffs. Multilaterally, the single biggest recent event at the increasingly ineffectual World Trade Organisation has not been the conclusion of a successful round, but, rather, China’s accession in 2001. The next generation of bilateral agreements, of which Ceta is the template, is complex. They reflect the realities of modern commerce and go beyond trade, touching upon behind-the-border issues such as standards, regulation and opening government contracts to competitive bidding. This complexity means that the deals take years to negotiate and conclude. In our amped up media environment, there are special interests making noise at each step in the process, ensuring that trade and investment deals are a marathon, not a sprint.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/08/trade-negotiator-shocked-at-brexiters-ignorance
    Very nice summary really and should be compulsory reading for the brexiters as to the tough road ahead.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    May will be interviewed on Sky News tomorrow at 10, good news is that it will be freely available online and on replay links.

I do hope everyone is taking notes from TM’s interview because if her bit in the telegraph is anything to go by it won’t take long
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/07/determined-build-shared-society-everyone/
    Zero substance, zero plans, zero how and a lot of should. Talking the good talk about making things better but not really saying anything about how.

kimbers

She really is quite vacuous

Is no longer Big Society, but Shared Society

Vague promises of a better tomorrow with 0 substance, nothing changes

br
    Free Member

May is coming across like an employee st a large multinational I contracted at once, very good at been an employee (very political and very important to be seen to do/say the right thing) but hopeless at actually getting anything done – so work was done by contractors and 3rd parties.

I can’t even imagine she believes herself.

igm

On that Reddit piece, in Castleford (a northern(ish) English town) where I work I met a number of Poles (Eastern Europeans I think). They came across as hard working and customer aware. Perhaps not the values of the local population (actually to a large extent I think they are) but they blinking well should be.
    Good people.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Vague promises of a better tomorrow with 0 substance, nothing changes

Remind me of the opinion polls and who is in Government ? Plenty of things are changing and the Tories are getting further ahead every day as a result

DrJ

Remind me of the opinion polls and who is in Government ? Plenty of things are changing and the Tories are getting further ahead every day as a result

You seem to be a bit confused about this democracy thing. Voting and polls don’t actually do anything. You can vote for the Sun to rise in the west but that won’t make it happen. The whole country can express a preference for May, but she still has no plan.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Remind me of the opinion polls

You dont like them and think they should be ignored as they are always wrong

Is that what you needed reminding off or do you not even want to have one thing – beyond Muslim bashing- that you say and hold consistently?

philxx1975
    Free Member

– so work was done by contractors and 3rd parties.

This is how Britain has worked since the. 90s

Cougar

if we want the country and lifestyle I think we all share we cannot be in the EU IMO

What country and lifestyle do you want which the EU is precluding?

DrJ

Streets full of white folks and spam fritters for tea. Good old days 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought it was the one where everyone stood for the national anthem when the TV stopped playing and we were respected/feared the world over and won world cups – think about we havn’t won anything since we joined.

brooess
    Free Member

– so work was done by contractors and 3rd parties.
    This is how Britain has worked since the. 90s

When I was a contractor at the London-based European Head Office of a finance company for 4 years, my clients were variously English, Dutch, Pakistani, American, Half-French, so being political and not doing your job is, to be fair, not unique to the English.

And my mate working in the UAE only has his job because generally speaking, the indigenous Arab population are so ineffective…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and I’m sure somebody will be along to tell me I’m wrong but in summary
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38546820
    Brexit Means Brexit an it will be RW&B. That about it?
    In contrast some wise words from Ken

Earlier, Europhile former Conservative chancellor Ken Clarke told BBC One’s Andrew Marr Show: “Theresa needs to address the more serious question, I think, of the muddle [Sir Ivan is] complaining about, see whether she agrees with him and decide whether she can improve the way in which she organises the government to get to a proper conclusion.
    To turn everything into personal abuse as soon as anybody seems to faintly disagree with out new zealot crusade to leave the continent of Europe is rather an unfortunate feature of our post-Brexit politics.”

slowoldman

I thought it was the one where everyone stood for the national anthem when the TV stopped playing and we were respected/feared the world over and won world cups – think about we havn’t won anything since we joined.

Yes we can set up our own “World Series” and always win.

jambalaya
    Free Member

from the May thread …

Well done racists
    I know it’s a big mystery to some people as to “where did it all go wrong?” but that comment helps to explain much of what was wrong with the Remain campaign.

I tend not to bother listening to people who call me racist because I believe in democracy and the sovereignty of the British people, I certainly don’t take anything they say very seriously.

The irony is that many Remainers denounce the electorate for being allegedly thick and yet these same people are too daft to figure out why despite everything being stacked in their favour, eg all the major political parties backing Remain and a compliant media, they still managed to screw up.

This from Ernie is spot on. Calling people racists just made Leavers feel they where right as Remainers had lost the plot and where simply hurling insults. I had this conversation numerous times on Vote Leave stalls.

Remainers have to grasp that their campaign was weak and with Corbyn giving the EU 7/10 and leading Remainers acknowledging the EU needed reform (ie was broken) was a desperately weak argument

Whatever people think of May she is absolutely crushing her political opposition in Labour and Lib Dems

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Remainers have to grasp that their campaign was weak and with Corbyn giving the EU 7/10 and leading Remainers acknowledging the EU needed reform (ie was broken) was a desperately weak argument

Why? My reasoning for remaining is as strong, if not stronger, than ever.
    How’s life in France?

kelvin

Remainers have to grasp that their campaign didn’t play dirty enough.

> insert NHS logo here <

Some interesting surveys recently showing that the percentage of people who believe the NHS will benefit greatly from leaving the EU is at an all time high. Bullshit sticks…

[ http://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/do-you-think-leaving-the-eu-will-have-a-good-or-bad-effect-on-the-nhs/ ]

zippykona

There is no opposition. The people will do what the papers tell them.
    Jamb I would really like you to meet my mum. She is far from mobile and refuses to have any help as she has read about the foreign care workers who rob old people. She voted out as her friend had a Nigerian nurse be nasty to her in hospital.
    She is a total **** **** wit. She sits in her front room soaking up everything the mail tells her and she is getting nastier by the minute.
    She is not alone. These people really exist. Her decision to vote out wasn’t made by examining facts ,it was made by a total hatred of foreign people.
    Edit. She has never left the country either.

BoardinBob

Calling people racists just made Leavers feel they where right as Remainers had lost the plot and where simply hurling insults.

They’re in this thread several hundred pages ago but in the aftermath of the vote there was a never ending supply of videos showing the man or woman in the street being interviewed and every one was anti immigrant and/or anti foreigner and more often than not the view was frighteningly wrong. An overwhelming amount that voted to stop Muslims coming to the country for example.

The coherent arguments for brexit are far outweighed by the ill informed ones.

kelvin

> insert photo of dark skinned refugees fleeing their war torn country here <

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Leave didn’t win because of ignorance and racism

Leave won because of ignorance and racism.

aracer
    Free Member

Leave the poor snowflake alone. He’s also consistent at posting jambafacts.

igm

Jamba – the quote you have from Ernie suggests a compliant media. Clearly he lives in a different universe if he thinks the media compliantly supported remain.
    Some did, but normally in a balanced way.
    Then we had the nutters of the Mail, Express, Sun and sadly the Telegraph.
    The Times was fairly neutral.
    I think the press on balance was nasty and Brexy.
    A balanced press would have hung the Brexies out to dry after a Brexit supporter murdered Jo Cox – egged on by Nigel “without a shot being fired” Farage and his nasty racist poster (I make no comment on whether NF is racist himself of course).

zippykona

(I make no comment on whether NF is racist himself of course

He is definitely a complete **** though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I know you think otherwise hebdencyclist but that research by Lord Ashcroft completely undermines the point that you are trying to make, ie, that’s it OK to call those who were in favour of leaving ignorant racists.

Because it shows that a substantial percentage of people who voted to leave have no problem with multiculturalism, social liberalism, immigration, etc.

If only a small number of them had been sufficiently convinced it would have tipped it in favour of remain.

However dismissing them as ignorant racists made them far less likely to listen to people like you. Why should anyone listen to what you have to say if you are lying to their faces and calling them racists?

igm

A lot of them were / are racists Ernie. Some weren’t I agree.

Don’t want to be called a racist? Don’t side with them.

aracer
    Free Member

Where exactly is he making that point?

I’ve certainly never suggested that all people voting Leave were ignorant racists, however that doesn’t mean I don’t agree with the point he is making, which is supported by that research. Those are the people you are in bed with (though I’d think you might be more uncomfortable about jamba, ninfan, Gove, Loathsome et al as bedfellows than ordinary people who have been sold a lie).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

igm – Member

Don’t want to be called a racist? Don’t side with them.

Haha brilliant !…….don’t support leaving the EU otherwise I’ll call you a racist!!!

EDIT : And right there is a classic example of what I mean about the futility of attempting to have a sensible debate.

Viewing 40 posts - 19,601 through 19,640 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.