Viewing 40 posts - 19,401 through 19,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

don’t worry it’s just the cryptic crossword bot going off again

chewkw
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member

those remainders coz they will get what coming their ways.

Will we be branded? Shot?
    Whats coming my way? [/quote]

Shot? Who do you think we are?

Branded … perhaps … not sure what yet. 😆

No significant party to turn to because they (remainders) will even be kicked out from Labour party so most will end up in Green and Lib Dem … 😆

zokes
    Free Member

don’t worry it’s just the cryptic crossword bot going off again

Nope. That implies there is at least some coherence and logic to his ramblings, which clearly there is not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In case anyone is missing some definitions
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/04/news-a-z-of-brexit
    Some of my highlights

Enemies of the people The new term for Britain’s independent judiciary.

Kitten heels What the papers write about when even they’re bored with Brexit.

Leather trousers What the papers write about when they’re bored with kitten heels.

Running commentary. Euphemism for “flying ****”. As in, “How are talks going with the French? I could not give a running commentary.”

zokes
    Free Member

That, Mike, is truly excellent

oldnpastit

Public lynching by the Daily Mail?

igm

Pay rise in my case because the company are worried about losing me with Brexit.

As I say personally good, but not so much for the country.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

May will make a speech confirming what everyone who’s been paying attention knows full well.

I.e.

Long on sound bites..

Short on anything of actual **** substance..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think he meant an apology…

kimbers

So May’s speech what do you think the take away sound bite will be

Brexit Max?
    Uber Brexit?
    Firm Brexit?
    Fruity Brexit?
    Alt- Brexit?
    Sexy Brexy?
    Brexit for the People ?
    101% Brexit?
    The only way is Brexit?
    Brexit of Champions ?
    **** Brexit, I Quit ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I hear the best of the best are working on it as we speak

Whatever it is it will be met with a lot of smiles and cheers from the leavers, leaving the rest of us to point out she has said absolutely nothing.

br
    Free Member

CAP is devolved in Wales and generally works ok here. [/I]

Aye…

https://www.david-davies.org.uk/news/warning-over-continued-delays-unpaid-farm-subsidies

slowoldman

I quite like the cereal box idea. I think we should also force the 52% to write an essay on what it should be.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas – please can you explain what happens when we leave the single market in practical terms. How will trade under WTO proceed/work and why will this be good?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38510628

Pointing to a similar model in use in Canada, where provincial governments can set region-specific requirements for immigrants, it said visas could be issued specifically for certain regions or certain sectors.

That’d be good, a system like they use in Canada, possibly Australia too. Perhaps we could get the British Council involved in the examination process, we could probably get the IDP and Cambridge involved in some way too. We could have test centres dotted around the country too.
    Struggling to think of a catchy name for it though. 🙄

squirrelking
    Free Member

We need a like button, that A-Z is spot on, ta Mike.

cchris2lou

Most EU migrants have good English. And other languages too.

My English is a lot better than my wife French.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t think any of this is based on evidence or anything rational.
    Peoples perception seems to be all that matters.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Don’t we have to join the WTO first?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Most EU migrants have better english than the native work-shy layabouts whose jobs they take. Can we kick them out as a swap?

molgrips
    Free Member

How will trade under WTO proceed/work and why will this be good?

He has no idea.

You don’t, do you Jam? Admit it.

kerley
    Free Member

Most EU migrants have better english than the native work-shy layabouts whose jobs they take. Can we kick them out as a swap?

We need to be quick about it while we can move them under freedom of movement.
    Irony is, the majority of them would be people who voted leave.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Irony is, the majority of them would be people who voted leave.

Yes, that’s partly the point. And to think I used to be sympathetic to those towards the bottom of the heap, be it impoverished pensioners or unemployed in depressed areas. That sympathy pretty much evaporated on June 23rd.

kimbers

In WTO means out of customs union (estimated hit to our economy 22bn a year) = must have some sort of deal within 2 years or car & aero manufacturing are buggered by supply chains- hence why panicked Fox was talking about customs union access b4 xmas.

This is what sir Ivan was trying to explain, itll take many (10) years to hammer this out with 27 eu nations

Davies, wants it all done in 2 years, no transitional deal.
    I dont think May wants it either because being stuck in the middle of a transition deal will be hard at the next election

Thats the problem with brexiters, just coz you wish for something really really hard, doesnt make it reality!

mrmo
    Free Member

does depend, i know some with VERY good english, i know others who are functional and then some who do really struggle. It really depends on the job they are doing as too what is enough.

mrmo
    Free Member

Yes, that’s partly the point. And to think I used to be sympathetic to those towards the bottom of the heap, be it impoverished pensioners or unemployed in depressed areas. That sympathy pretty much evaporated on June 23rd.

agree, i could see the faults and accepted that taxes had to go up, now f*** ’em, i need every penny to cover my backside and ride out the on coming storm.

molgrips
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38469141

If there’s a good thing to come out of this, let’s hope that it prompts the UK government to actually pull its finger out and start helping UK industries.

kimbers

agree, i could see the faults and accepted that taxes had to go up, now f*** ’em, i need every penny to cover my backside and ride out the on coming storm

no i still blame austerity being used as an excuse to attack the welfare state and society,

as well as the press for blaming everything on immigrants

br
    Free Member

Don’t we have to join the WTO first?

Yep, plus there is the small matter of the WTO tariffs currently in place between WTO members and other countries (including the EU).

And this is quite an interesting post from earlier in the year, pre-vote and also a Leave group…

One can say, unequivocally, that the UK could not survive as a trading nation by relying on the WTO Option. It would be an unmitigated disaster, and no responsible government would allow it.

http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

does depend, i know some with VERY good english, i know others who are functional and then some who do really struggle. It really depends on the job they are doing as too what is enough.

And that’s the hypocrisy. How many pensioners in Malaga speak Spanish? How many expat oilmen in the Middle East speak Arabic? How many….? And I’m sure the response would be that they don’t need to as they are well served by English speaking locals. The pensioners won’t need to deal with local bureaucracy, oilmen work for multinational companies etc. Yet Ahmed working for his uncle, driving a van around town needs to demonstrate why we should or shouldn’t be allowed to split the infinitive.
    I say we can spplit the infinitive!

mrmo
    Free Member

no i still blame austerity being used as an excuse to attack the welfare state and society,

as well as the press for blaming everything on immigrants

Austerity was as you said the excuse, have to ask why those who will suffer from the scrapping of the NHS believed the crap in the Mail and voted against there own self interest?

DrJ

Austerity was as you said the excuse, have to ask why those who will suffer from the scrapping of the NHS believed the crap in the Mail and voted against there own self interest?

Could be worse – you could be an unemployed worker in the US Midwest who voted for Trump and will now lose your medical insurance. Aah well.

aracer
    Free Member

You do say some funny things

Nipper99
    Free Member

As I have posted before by leaving the EU we are also leave the quad group of trading blocks who set the agenda for the WTO, the EU being one of the quad blocks. We also have to apply to re-join the WTO or at least reactivate our membership which means going begging to the other WTO members who will no doubt want their own pound of flesh.

cchris2lou

Except Ahmed is most certainly not from the EU, and was probably born in the UK, so it doesn’t apply to him.
    However in the eyes of the Daily Mail readers and Leave voters it is the same thing.

slowoldman

I don’t think any of this is based on evidence or anything rational.
    Peoples perception seems to be all that matters.

Same basis as the referendum really.

mrmo
    Free Member
    kelvin

And this is quite an interesting post from earlier in the year, pre-vote and also a Leave group…

One can say, unequivocally, that the UK could not survive as a trading nation by relying on the WTO Option. It would be an unmitigated disaster, and no responsible government would allow it.

http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128
    [/quote]

Wow! Who’s the author? If that was someone arguing for Leave, but able to write such an informed and nuanced piece, I’d love to read what they think about the government’s “plan” as it evolves. I’m getting desperate for something properly considered and pro Brexit, and current… it would give me some “hope”, for want of a better word.

kimbers

from The Times, sounds like talking to many brexiters!

Liam Fox and David Davis’s alleged failure to understand briefings in the weeks after their appointment left Sir Ivan Rogers in despair, friends have said. Britain’s top diplomat in Brussels, who resigned on Tuesday, considered quitting on more than one occasion after the referendum.

Sources said that he was frustrated by his attempts to induct the two Brexit cabinet ministers in the details of the single market and customs union …

Sir Ivan is understood to believe that Mrs May understands the dangers this poses. However, he expressed frustration about the fact that Dr Fox, the international trade secretary, Mr Davis, the Brexit secretary, and Boris Johnson, foreign secretary, did not take the chance or consequences of a chaotic outcome seriously enough.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Panic buying of cars begins. 😛
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38516247

Viewing 40 posts - 19,401 through 19,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.