Viewing 40 posts - 15,041 through 15,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Northwind

kimbers – Member

https://theconversation.com/if-the-brexit-addicted-government-were-a-small-business-it-wouldnt-last-a-year-67959

“Our battery continued firing at targets chosen by our O.P. The ammunition expenditure was enormous. “This is costing us a fortune.” said Lt Mostyn, “Honestly, in the last three hours we’ve spent enough to have opened two hat shops in White-chapel, with a hundred pound float in the till.” I calmed him, “Would it help if we fired slower, sir?” He shook his head, “Its too late now, if I had been running this war I could have done it at half the price, I mean what’s Churchill know about business? Nothing! Give him a dress shop and in two weeks he’d be skint!”

A gown shop in Whitechapel:
    CHURCHILL:
    Good morning madame.
    SHOPPER:
    I’d like to see a black velvet evening gown with a plunging back.
    CHURCHILL:
    Is that a dress?
    SHOPPER:
    Yes.
    CHURCHILL:
    In two weeks I’ll be skint.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is a very good thing, the Army are on standby to help with the winter floods..

One thing the UK Nasty Party have got right..

Army to help with winter floods.

slowoldman

Wrong time of year for Jam and Scone exports isn’t it?

Never mind, the Christmas pudding market will sort things out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

Never mind, the Christmas pudding market will sort things out.

You mean the empire pudding, devised to highlight the products produced from across the globe?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Weren’t exports supposed to go up when the £ fell?

Trade figures notoriously volatile month to month, changes in behaviour can take a while to filter through. Read that commentary on another news page – BBC ?

@mrmo was using EU to mean the 27 countries. As I said we wouldn’t stand in the way of an EU passport, zero cost to us.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trade figures notoriously volatile month to month, changes in behaviour can take a while to filter through. Read that commentary on another news page – BBC

Alright let’s come back to this one in two or three months then shall we?

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂 touché

Hey TMH would love to hear your theory on the Ryan Air price cuts due to Brexit .. please play !

Another question … with Trump now President I cannot see any way the IMF will get involved in another Greek bailout, there is not a snowballs chance he will put US money up for that.

richc
    Free Member

Hey TMH would love to hear your theory on the Ryan Air price cuts due to Brexit .. please play !

Aren’t RyanAir based out of Dublin? So wouldn’t they measure profits in Euros and due to the Titanic success we are making of Brexit the £ to Euro value has dropped.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, ninfan suggested on the other thread that he viewed the EU as similar to NAFTA. If I understand correctly NAFTA allows the US to exploit Mexico for cheap goods and labour whilst paying them not enough money.

Is this the case with EU expansion to the poorer states? I’ve dealt with IT outsourcing to those countries and they seem to value the work quite highly. Given that they can educate themselves quite well, it turns that into cash quite nicely and gains them experience.

Is ninfan right in comparing the two?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Key difference with NAFTA is they have no freedom of movement. EU does allow factories and online businesses be located abroad with lower costs (cheap labour/ultra-low taxes) as per NAFTA so in that sense it’s directly comparable. Your IT work allows the poorer country to upscale economically and educationally – that does come at the expense of UK contractors – and ontop of that we pay £££ billions for that privilege.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What’s the question?

IIRC, UK is 25-30% of sales, and revenue from sales is not -15% in value terms. On top of that actual sales are struggling (I think). So double wammy.

I mentioned before that the price elasticity of demand for UK exports is inelastic, so the trade data is of no major surprise. Not good though.

Play – after this weekend I am bored with Brexshit and the coverage. The only decent thing I have read or listened to was on R4 yesterday – Joshua Rosenburg’s programme on the legal aspects of the ruling. Objective and considered – a rarity these days.

molgrips
    Free Member

Your IT work allows the poorer country to upscale economically and educationally – that does come at the expense of UK contractors

I am not sure that’s the case to be honest. Contractors are still in employment, but the capability has simply expanded.

IT is not a finite market. Given more resources and money, you can always simply do more – there’s no shortage of projects. Unlike say agriculture, where the amount of food you can grow and eat is finite and hence the work that needs to be done – you can only reduce costs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Joshua Rosenburg’s programme on the legal aspects of the ruling.

What did it say?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I am not sure that’s the case to be honest. Contractors are still in employment, but the capability has simply expanded.

Rates haven’t gone up in 20 years. So I assume competition plays a part.

kelvin

not a finite market

You’ll have blown his mind there.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JR plus two legal profs explaining the issues without the BS – it was 30 mins so a little difficult to summarise.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t tihnk there was any BS..? Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Rates haven’t gone up in 20 years. So I assume competition plays a part.

20 years ago rates were ludicrous, it was the dotcom boom. There’s a good deal of normalisation going on there. And there probably is no longer a shortage, so that’s partly related to outsourcing. However rates and salaries are still decent and there’s still work. So.. dunno.

5thElefant
    Free Member

. And there probably is no longer a shortage, so that’s partly related to outsourcing.

Well, yeah. Isn’t that the same as…

Your IT work allows the poorer country to upscale economically and educationally – that does come at the expense of UK contractors

Competition is good AFAIC but if I was a contractor I wouldn’t be so keen.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I didn’t tihnk there was any BS..?

Not with the ruling no – but the reaction on all sides was ludicrous. For two days the coverage was all hyperbole/BS.

molgrips
    Free Member

But what if you were a bank wishing to get some software written? You’d appreciate it then.

I’m sure there is some interesting economic theory about small suppliers who have niche skills the shortage of which holds up larger businesses.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I think you missed the bottom half of my post. 🙂
    Edit: or I was too vague. Lower rates are good for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TMH O’Leary announced that as a result of Brexit he was cutting UK fares by 15% ? Once the UK leaves the EU capacity will be reduced somhe will be raising them after ? I can understand the second part, the first makes no sense other than to agressively undercut competition – loss leading ?

igm

Andy – surely it’s just empty seats? I have no evidence for that of course. I try never to fly Ryanair.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Here is a graph to help with the Ryanair conundrum. Both parts.

Oh, and no wonder Farage is after a new gig. His MEP train has run out of gravy.

igm

If Farage does end up working for Trump, presumably we can just ignore the referendum and he won’t notice?

zippykona

But won’t he be an immigrant stealing some poor hard working American’s job?

igm

So he’s a hypocrite – what’s new?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Posted in Trump thread also

Some in Government think they have just been dealt the Brexit Trump card

[video]http://youtu.be/qEWsTRKrSBc[/video]

igm

On the other hand if Trump goes isolationist, and we’ve just turned our backs on Europe, annoyed the Chinese and worried the Indians, then we may have problems.

kimbers

jambalaya – Member

if you are referring to our resident brexit fantasists Davies & Fox then pardon me for not getting too excited

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/10/what-special-relationship-donald-trump-speaks-to-nine-other-worl/

Even trumps smart enough to know that out of the EU we are just an inconsequential country unable to shake off our delusions of empire

Junkyard
    Free Member

Who knew we had idiots in charge of our country ?

His views on Nato, general isolationism and his dislike of trade deals – year them up/make them pay [unless he/USA is the big winner] suggests that he is unlikely to help and it wont be a partnership of equals.

kimbers

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/10/theresa-may-still-awaiting-call-from-donald-trump?CMP=fb_gu

oh dear

bearing in mind these comments
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/10/nigel-farage-jokes-about-trumps-alleged-sexual-assaults?CMP=fb_gu
    and his disgust at how VL & the Tories treated him post referendum

Ill bet that our egomaniac in chief has set himself up as the exclusive dealmaker for the UK

we

r

fuct!

br
    Free Member

He’s already said he’ll look after Number One, and any deal anyone signs with the USA will only be in the USA’s favour.

#brexshit just got shitter…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Could not agree less b r, Trump being President helps us a lot re: Brexit

I really hope Farage gets the US / EU gig that would just be hysterical

Junkyard
    Free Member

there can be no stronger sign of the soundness of your argument than Jamby taking the opposite view Trump does deals where he wins he is proud of this and he brow beats the weaker into accepting what is best for him

He may well prioritise a deal with us and it will be a great one …..but not for us

outofbreath
    Free Member

“He’s already said he’ll look after Number One, and any deal anyone signs with the USA will only be in the USA’s favour.”

A vast number of people in EU countries are horrified by the concept of a trade deal with the states. (Without even knowing what’s in TTIP they’re against it.)

I suspect you’re in a minority if not having a trade deal with the states has been bothering you.

kimbers

I really hope Farage gets the US / EU gig that would just be hysterical

Yes he described Obama as a ‘loathsome creature’ which has enough echoes of subhumanity, to please his fans in the BNP etc but not racist enough to get him properly called out

The man is a class act, I’d love it if the rest of the world thought he represents Britain 🙄

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Trump does deals where he wins he is proud of this and he brow beats the weaker into accepting what is best for him”

He won you round quick.

jambalaya
    Free Member

there can be no stronger sign of the soundness of your argument than Jamby taking the opposite vie

Junky it must get tedious being on the losing side all time time though, no ? 😉 My Brexit stance I thought would see me on the loosing side but even that has been topped by Trump winning me being one of the very few who thought he could win. As per the two American guest analysts on Newsnight yesterday I think Le Penn now has a very good chance of being the next French President.

As I have said a number of times before the make up and stance of Europe and fhe EU could look very different in 6 and 12 months time. So far everything has gone in favour of the UK in Brexit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh or outofbreath gleefully trolling you – I forgot that one 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 15,041 through 15,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.