Viewing 40 posts - 15,001 through 15,040 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public

Lolz no, the referendum did that.

It’s surely a win/win. Those who want out are out, those who want in can be in. Simple.

This doesn’t seem to be before the EU Parliament yet – so can I write to my MEP or not?

mrmo
    Free Member
    hot_fiat

That associate citizenship idea looks great. I’d apply straight away – as a contractor it’d be a no brainier allowing me to freely work anywhere in the E.U. for anyone. I’d even quite happily pay, you could administer it like the optional church tax in Austria. As it happens I’m safe with Irish citizenship in the pipeline but I’d be minded to apply anyway just to irritate the brexibunch.

mattyfez

Giving people more options is unfair, discriminatory and divisive.

Double yew tee eff.

kelvin

As regards the idea of selective EU membership… something like that IS required for those already working in EU… interesting idea to extend it further to any UK subject, but unlikely to be passed in that form.

The response from “Get Britain Out” is a great insight into how some people’s minds work… desperate to deny people opportunities that they happen to not want themselves. Sums up Leave voters to me. Vindictive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of course associate citizenship is a great idea. Ability to work in any EU country and free of charge, no budget contributions etc. Quite literally a free option, you take those all day long. Quite why the EU would agree to such a thing is beyond comprehension.

b r agreed, done for a reason and quite counter intuitive offering lower prices as a result of Brexit. My question was a genuine one as it’s a fascinating move.

GrahamS

Of course associate citizenship is a great idea. Ability to work in any EU country and free of charge, no budget contributions etc.

The idea suggested earlier on the thread was that “associate citizens” would pay membership fees, so the EU would still get a budgetary contribution.

mattyfez

I’d like retain my EU citizen rights, but if I have to pay for them, over and above my 10 year EU passport, then it’s a commodity, not a right, only available to those who can afford it?

This is the crux of the anti brexit argument, my rights are being taken away by an unelected PM bypassing parliament. That is illegal in UK law.

Edukator
    Free Member

Where does this paying for EU citizen rights/associate citizenship come from? One of the 26 countries that will decide? I suspect it breaks a few conventions in existing treaties.

jambalaya
    Free Member

unelected PM. That is illegal in UK law.

Facepalm. In this country we elect an MP, the party with the most MPs forms a government and chooses a PM. We do NOT elect a President/PM

Edukator
    Free Member

And referendums aren’t binding, parliament has the final say. 8)

kimbers

as predicted the BNP & EDL plan to march with Oswald Mosley Nigel Farage to try and intimidate the judges of the High Court

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/supreme-court-march-article-50-nigel-farage-bnp-edl_uk_5821bc2de4b0c2e24ab0ec18

mattyfez

I suspect it will be home grown, the uk gov will put some charge on upgrading your degraded uk passport to EU status. Current EU passports held by UK citizens will probably be reverted to UK citizen status.

Those that want proper victorian colonial blue passports will probably be charged as well.

mattyfez

Facepalm. In this country we elect an MP, the party with the most MPs forms a government and chooses a PM. We do NOT elect a President/PM

And that’s why we have courts and parliament, to prevent a renegade gov/pm from doing something daft. For example a feckless self serving gov that’s just going through the motions to save face.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Look, the EU passport thing is a nice gesture, but don’t think for a minute that it has any hope of coming to pass. The EU parliament simply doesn’t have the power. The only way to retain EU membership is for the UK to remain in the EU…

bikebouy
    Free Member

This been done? EU passports for Brits who want to stay in the EU??

Sign me up, Britains had its day.

EU passports for Brits who want to stay in EU

GrahamS

Err.. Yes.. That is literally what we were talking about in the previous post 😀

igm

I’d sign up (and I suspect my wife would) but more importantly I’d sign my children up to preserve their options for the future.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cool, wasn’t sure because I don’t come in this thread very often.

kelvin

Ability to work in any EU country and free of charge

Or perhaps, paying taxes and providing skills and labour.
    Not everyone sees workers as the enemy because they were born elsewhere.

brooess
    Free Member

Genius idea – I doubt the MEP who proposed it is operating on his own… nicely undermines the Brexit stance – which is why Jayne whatserface is so angry – same as Farage threatening violence – they’re being well out-manoeuvred and they know it.
    Interesting that Scottish and Welsh governments now making their voices heard.

On the two sides of the debate we now have:
    1. A minority of Tory MPs
    2. Possibly the PM (although possibly she’s a shill… time will tell)
    3. A minority of the electorate
    4. Nigel Farage and a few colleagues who have no higher power than members of Councils (+ the ex-Tory MP)
    5. A few of the UK papers

On the other side we have:
    1. Most MPs
    2 House of Lords
    3. Welsh and Scottish governments
    4. Most of the electorate
    5. Financial sector (have a LOT of soft power)
    6. Big business – a lot of soft power
    7. Big chunk of the media incl national broadcaster BBC – more soft power
    8. USA – for now the most powerful country in the world and our ally
    9. Most European Heads of State
    10. The EU bureaucracy
    11. Bank of England

In terms of power, resources, ability to influence it’s not really a fair contest. I suspect behind the scenes there’s a solid plan to undermine the entire Brexit campaign… there’s more than a few different strands which seem to be coming into play at the moment…

kelvin

The only way to retain EU membership is for the UK to remain in the EU…

Or for an EU country to offer dual citizenship. Hence the rush for Irish and German passports for those eligible. No reason the EU couldn’t allow member states to widen criteria for citizenship to “people from countries that have left the EU”, either selectively for key workers, or people already working or having worked previously in the country, or even to anyone applying (agree this is unlikely). The UK government could stop something like this, but why would they, other than to please the vindictive anti EU people who’d be against something like this.

kimbers

igm – Member
    I’d sign up (and I suspect my wife would) but more importantly I’d sign my children up to preserve their options for the future.

that for me would be the important thing

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

3. A minority of the electorate

?

GrahamS

The UK government could stop something like this

Depends what it involves.

If the EU decided that UK citizens could pay a membership fee to get some benefits of “the club” then how could the UK stop them? Obviously those benefits wouldn’t/couldn’t interfere with any UK law.

e.g. I don’t think the UK could force me to need a French Visa if the French said I didn’t need one.

thecaptain
    Free Member

brooess, I don’t see there’s any grand conspiracy, there certainly isn’t the need for one. It just requires the penny to drop with enough people…there simply isn’t a reasonable brexit solution, no approach to leaving the EU will satisfy more than a small minority and all alternatives to the status quo are markedly worse than what we already have.

Honestly, if there was a sensible plan for brexit (ie, if such a thing was possible), don’t you think someone would have worked it out by now? Getting on for 5 months later and we haven’t got past the vacuous slogan “brexit means brexit”.

welshfarmer

Look out. Potential cat amongst the pigeons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37909299?SThisFB

kimbers

Honestly, if there was a sensible plan for brexit (ie, if such a thing was possible), don’t you think someone would have worked it out by now? Getting on for 5 months later and we haven’t got past the vacuous slogan “brexit means brexit”.

I 100% agree sadly I think the momentum for brexit has almost reached no going back stage no matter how (hard) dissatrous it is shaping up to be

it doesnt help that the 3 clowns are incapable of delivering….

https://theconversation.com/if-the-brexit-addicted-government-were-a-small-business-it-wouldnt-last-a-year-67959

kelvin

how could the UK stop them?

Well, they could change the law so that you rescind your UK subject status if claiming dual citizenship with an EU country. Lots of countries have similar limitations as regards dual citizenship with certain countries. It would be petty though.

zippykona

Would the dual nationality restriction apply to Russian/ Indian billionaires or just us enemies of the state?
    Of course the answer is that we have to apply for exit visas.

milleboy
    Free Member

Well at least now voting for Brexit is only the second most stupid thing of 2016………

mrmo
    Free Member

So what happens next, the people who have been shafted, and voted for this are still going to get shafted?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Dutch don’t allow you to hold a second EU (European?) passport. I doubt the UK would rescind allowing multiple EU passports as it costs us nothing to allow a Brit to hold another EU passport, the costs are all on the EU. The UK is one of the most flexible in terms of granting citizenship and allowing multiple passports.

This amused the hell out of me. Apparantly Farage and Aaron Banks are on the way to NY, Nige is lobbying for a role representing the US in Brussels 🙂 As many have said the EU detests the US, there is open hostility in Brussels. Give them their own medicine back in spades. Quotes from SKY

Mr Farage has said that he would consider a role in Donald Trump’s administration.

“He will be in need of a proper Eurosceptic ambassador in Brussels for the European Union,’ he told LBC radio.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mr Farage has said that he would consider a role in Donald Trump’s administration.

I though head brown noser had been applied for by a couple in here?
    He probably just wants the uniform to go chasing immigrants

Edukator
    Free Member

My French passport is cheaper than the UK one so the UK is losing whatever profit it makes on a passport every ten years, Jamba (an insignificant sum I know). As you point out some other EU countries are not as flexible on dual nationality as the UK and France so people might have to make a choice if they wish to stay in Europe after Brexit.

mrmo
    Free Member

The Dutch don’t allow you to hold a second EU (European?) passport. I doubt the UK would rescind allowing multiple EU passports as it costs us nothing to allow a Brit to hold another EU passport, the costs are all on the EU. The UK is one of the most flexible in terms of granting citizenship and allowing multiple passports.

How would the good friday agreement hold up if the UK government declares that all in NI have to pick a British passport? OR?????

mrmo
    Free Member

I doubt the UK would rescind allowing multiple EU passports as it costs us nothing to allow a Brit to hold another EU passport,

just a moment????

Most Brits won’t be holding ANY EU passports let alone multiple. Brexit means Brexit

molgrips
    Free Member
    richc
    Free Member

Wrong time of year for Jam and Scone exports isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 15,001 through 15,040 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.