Viewing 40 posts - 11,721 through 11,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

First heard about the marmite and food thing from a Brexiter – who only just gets by each month – worring about going into the red and blaming the companies for profiteering. From what I’ve heard from a friend that works in the food industry, this is going to happen across the board from 2017 onwards as food manufacturers were running really tight margins already – so no room to absorb the tanking pound.

It’s very gratifying to see these idiots losing their minds.

Not generally a fan on Tesco’s business practices but at least they have “called out”
    Unilever for trying to up prices on British goods due to Brexit / £

I mean the cheek right! When all the imported goods, such as Barley and Hops from the states are skyrocketting. You’re just as foolish as the ex-friend I mentioned above.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

welcome back 😉

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The problem will be two fold – (in bullet point mode today)
    1. Massive parliamentary bun fight and the Lords have yet to weigh in and this will all convolute the process.
    2. Someone in the EU (Slovenia Slovakia etc) will simply go **** off you arrogant ****s
    3. Out in the cold weather go – please could the blind faith brigade just not respond with rainbows and pots of gold

chewkw
    Free Member

Do you guys actually feel for the people who have to endure EU since 1 January 1973?

zippykona

I’ve just joined these people.
    Feel free to do something productive.
    http://euromove.org.uk/we-need-your-support/

cchris2lou

Endure EU ?

like cheap holidays in Spain , decent quality food at reasonable prices , freedom of movement and capitals ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Part of me still thinks that she want the brexiteers to get a shit deal- giving them enough rope etc= and parliament overturn and it and she can say I tried

Then again she does also seem massively anti immigration so may get that in a deal if parliament over turns it

I agree the Brexit vote has to be upheld and we do need to open negotiations

Somewhere some form of democracy has to offer an opinion on the deal we get and whether we want to accept that or remain

It’s Not that likely it will be another referendum but it is hard to see how we leave to reclaim power and then dont have a vote on by our elected representatives. Would be ironic if unelected bureaucrats negotiate our release and no one votes on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Binners you’d be able to read Corbyn’s reasons for leaving the EU had he not deleted all his old blogposts.

I see ernie can’t be bothered to contribute, can’t blame him for that

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Anyway – I’ll survive just about here in London, looking forward to watching the North and the Midlands turn into East Germany.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Zippy, the ship has sailed. Merkel’s 5 year ban on claiming unemployment benefit has been passed I see. Voters throughout Europe are fed up with the EU. It’s corrupt, incompetant and bust

chewkw
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member
    Endure EU ?

like cheap holidays in Spain , decent quality food at reasonable prices , freedom of movement and capitals ?

All superficial.

No need to be in EU to enjoy them.

Klunk
    Free Member

You get the feeling the easiest/sensible way out of all of this for the Government is another referendum. Keep asking the question till you get the answer that you can live with. 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tom, we grow Barkey and Hops too

kimbers

I find it really interesting the control of language that brexit has. The brexit vote was a slight majority in favour but somehow has become an overwhelming mandate. A brexit campaign that campaigned on the money we could save , sovereignty and a declining Europe becomes about resolutely controlling immigration.

Quite agree, its not about immigrants, but really it is

then todays PMQs/brexageddon debate was just ridiculously depressing,
    May completely denies (aka barefaced lies) that Rudd says they were gonna name and shame immigrant employers, then theres gonna be a green paper and debate and a vote, then ever more confused looking Davies says, no green paper, Johnson wants us to overrun the russian embassy, everyone says Fox is a ****, Redwood is still carrying on the unhinged gigglig conversation he was having with himself on newsnight about how we have the stronger negotiating position
    there were as many tories as labour asking for a debate and vote on hard or soft,
    Kier Starmer was calmly skewering the entire front bench, Corbyn seems bewildered that all of a sudden he’s scoring easy hits at PMQs.
    No wonder the pound is on its arse- its painfully f-king obvious that none of the government have a clue what they want from Brexit or how to go about getting it
    so we are going to tumble into a WTO tarriftastic deal where, all foreign investment will leg it to somewhere with proper access to the free market.

Theres only one way it could get worse and thats if a spray tanned, racist, rapey, narcisisst, who we all thought was made up for tv were to become POTUS

zippykona

Jam, I want to spend my retirement somewhere warm.
    If I can’t go to Spain where can I go? I won’t get enough points on any “Australian points based system” to get me anywhere else that’s warm.
    Sure you and your patriotic friends can claim victory to every barrier you put to stop them foreign **** coming in. Well,surprise,surprise them foreign **** will respond in kind.
    Ich bin ein foreign ****.
    Spain is 90 minutes away. It’s nearer than the top of Scotland.
    Your stupid vote it costing me money and stopping me sitting in the sun. What are you getting out of the deal? What benefits are you feeling today? You’ve split the country,led to a rise in racism and sunk the economy.
    Thanks a **** million.
    http://euromove.org.uk/we-need-your-support/

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m lucky, I can always **** off to the Philippines – also my wifes company is making a tidy profit on Brexit – so her bonus will be pretty good this year. Save 20 grand and we could live like kings for a few years until this has all blown over.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Jambalaya’s fine – French wife with benefits that go with that for him and his children in terms of EU residency / citizenship.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If I can’t go to Spain where can I go?

Gibraltar?

Shackleton

Tom, we grow Barkey and Hops too

You are aware that even in a good year we only grow enough barley to supply 60% of our brewing industry? Hops far less and most of the newer and more popular varieties don’t grow well here due to climate. I’m pretty sure I explained this to you the last time you mentioned this too…..

If we pretend that the solution to our problems is to grow more of our own food then barley production would likely be one of the first crops to be replaced. But as putting national wellbeing ahead of profits is anathema to Brexiters I can’t see this ever being an issue.

kimbers

Well if Brexit can deliver autumn lambs Im sure we can grow as much hops as we desire

igm

I watched some of today’s debate – how long do you think May’s got?

The knives were out on both sides of the house, and amongst disenfranchised leavers and remainers.

GEDA
    Free Member

I have an idea. Cut all this rubbish about hard or soft Brexit and the reasons for why people voted.

We were promised moon on a stick Brexit. Give us moon on a stick Brexit.

rone

All I want to hear now (and it may still be too early) is for the proponents of Brexit to eventually start admitting it’s not doing us any good. Instead of wising up we still have people defending the hole in the unstable ship.

Okay let it sink, fair enough but you lot had better start taking stock of the evidence soon as I’m getting increasingly frustrated with those that defend the choice and do not realise they have created something we just weren’t ready for.

rone

Also as a small film production company we are just getting the info for the latest camera equipment we usually upgrade to. Will struggle to do it this time around due to cost. (The upgrading cycle is crucial to stay ahead)

We are at the same time expected to deliver extremely competitive prices to the local authority for training and educational films – we haven’t raised our prices in years as we like to accommodate them. We are currently going through a few tendering processes and it’s hard to remain super competitive.

We can’t sustain both. I would love to be able to buy British equipment but guess what it doesn’t really exist any more.

igm

Marmite shortages!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member
    zanelad
    Free Member

Your stupid vote it costing me money and stopping me sitting in the sun. What are you getting out of the deal? What benefits are you feeling today? You’ve split the country,led to a rise in racism and sunk the economy.
    Thanks a **** million.

Satisfaction at your displeasure maybe? I didn’t realise that we had to vote in line with what’s best for you. If only you’d made that clear at the time.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s corrupt, incompetant and bust

And the UK isn’t?

Quite worried about what would happen if the legal challenge succeeds and parliament vote Brexit down.

Never thought I would fear political violence in this country.

rkk01
    Free Member

One aspect that hasn’t been picked up on (AFAIK), is the sudden “devaluing” of UK company earnings…

Over my working life more and more companies have been bought by ultimately US corporates. My own employer is a global company, but US HQ,ed and NYSE listed.

Our UK sales and revenues are reported in $US. Next year’s targets are 20% tougher in dollar terms – or worth 20% less to our Corporate masters.

All the talk of manufacturing import / export costs and their impact on the economy – everyone’s ignoring the reduced Post-Brexit service sector ($) earnings potential…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mentioned that a few pages back in relation to what is the impact of a weaker £

Serious point as we saw with Unilver yesterday

There is a massive danger of over analysing all of this. The negotiations haven’t even started and all this noise is (as one of the links above noted) merely harming our relationship with/ steeling the resolve of those we seek to trade with. It’s self defeating.

Despite all the Independence Day BS, this is and has always been a massive complex task. Redwood is disingenuouos to suggest otherwise. Nobody has done this before and both sides are going to lose out. So not surprisingly, it’s going to be anything but smooth. So expections need to be more realistic.

Laura K got in right on the news last night, these are merely the foothills. We have a whole mountain range to cross. So pace yourselves ladies and gentlemen!!!

br
    Free Member

+1 rkk01

I was reminded last week by an American company we deal with that while we may talk in GBP the targets are in dollars…

No quarter given and all that.

nickjb
    Free Member

I didn’t realise that we had to vote in line with what’s best for you. If only you’d made that clear at the time.

I certainly get the impression that a lot of brexit voters were thinking about what was best for themselves rather than the general good.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

May should be more worried about the next financial crash. Inflationary pressures are starting to emerge (expecations now through 3%) and all the liquidity supplied by he BoE has got stuck in reserves not the economy plus the BoE needs to sterilise all the crapy bonds it holds. Mind your backs – history “May” repeat itself!!!

binners

I certainly get the impression that a lot of brexit voters were thinking about what was best for themselves rather than the general good.

The overwhelming impression I get of them is that there wasn’t an awful lot of thinking going on at all.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Never thought I would fear political violence in this country.

Not forgetting the IRA and Jo Cox

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thinking? That is being generous. Many things were suspended, that being one of them.

zippykona

Normally I can walk away from a STW argument because the width of your handlebars does not affect me.
    This on the other hand will make my life a whole lot worse. For what point?
    Sheer bloody mindedness.
    Free ? Free from what? The Tories are free to do whatever the **** they like. YOU will have no come back.
    Someone shits on you from Westminster how does that differ to shit from Brussels?
    Everyone I know that voted out did so for the £350 million and even though ” I’m not racist but” a long diatribe about something that someone did in the papers who happened to be not from Europe anyway.
    ARE SATISFIED? IS YOUR WORLD A BETTER PLACE?
    I guess you have to be a millionaire that doesn’t live here to answer yes.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Regardless of your vote – other than a small minority everyone in the UKs quality of life has and will deteriorate in the most simple terms that means
    More expensive food
    More expensive fuel/heat
    More expensive holidays
    More expensive consumer goods
    Reduced wages in real terms
    Increased redundancies in skilled business
    Reduced future investment (EU and private sector/education)
    Increased gov borrowing
    Increased interest rates
    Reduced possibly regionalised benefits (triple lock will go)
    Shortage of willing low level labour for the service industry – thereby increasing costs in Hotels Restaurants NHS? Retail and so on

The reality is that most of the above will have the greatest impact on poor folks and young families.

The economic investment to stop he above is financially very difficult and risky to do and don’t think the people who have money to invest in the UK are going to look at us as a viable opportunity – other than buy to let?

I have still yet to see from either gov or from anyone Brexiteers anywhere (including here) how we address the above in anew economic manner? And all the talk about Brexit at the moment is Article 50 and the terms of exit with NO discussion or suggestions of even the most basic post exit economic disaster recovery plan – well other than borrow a lot more money but even that facility will reduce and become more expensive.

There is data to suggest we have a 1970s or even 1030s type recession coming if controls are not deployed and Mark Carney who appears to be a business administrator at heart with little political involvement understands this better than most. If we go free trade post Brexit the pound is likley to become even more devalued great for exporters but on balance even exporters have to often buy raw materials in and use power etc so it’s not straight forward.

We all need to remember the wide group of people negotiating this exit will not be that badly damaged by even a 1930s style set back. So unless you are a multi millionaire FTSE stock owning individual we all need to put aside our remain/leave views and try and salvage (and that is the reality) what we can and that includes ensuring there is a parliamentary vote on the exit terms- I for one have no desire to go down with the ship.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The overwhelming impression I get of them is that there wasn’t an awful lot of thinking going on at all.

this hence why Gove was able to say we have had enough of experts as if facts were a liberal establishment elite conspiracy to trick them when the reality was they were sold some total BS but privately educated RW free marketers who neither know any “common folk” nor GAS about them or their lives

Viewing 40 posts - 11,721 through 11,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.