Viewing 40 posts - 11,641 through 11,680 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Graham and 5thE +1

(Like religion) jamba-baiting is the one thing that seems exempt from normal rules here – apparently fair game?!?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I have to say I didn’t see an awful lot of evidence of bullying.

I did see an awful lot of evidence of Jamba’s repeatedly posting inaccuracies & downright falsehoods.

I then saw a lot of folks pulling him up on them & challenging him, to which Jamba would continue with the same lies & inaccuracies unrepentantly.

I don’t call that bullying.

All a bit sad really as I’m sure if he stuck to the truth he’d have an awful lot more to contribute..

cchris2lou

I heard he is painting a new bus.

bigrich

Jamba’s repeatedly posting inaccuracies & downright falsehoods

he reminds me of during the invasion of Iraq, when Tariq Aziz would be on the news, making statements like ‘there are no americans on iraqi soil’ while tanks and marines were running about behind him? that level of delusion.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Jesus he’s been gone less than a day, believe it or not even Jamba probably has better things to do with his life than staying glued to this place.

😉

I do remember thinking that I probably wouldn’t bother hanging around on a forum if everyone openly just referred to me as a liar.

Well that’s one option. There is another.

sobriety
    Free Member

i don’t agree with him on almost anything, from politics to when to upgrade the OS on your Mac, but I do remember thinking that I probably wouldn’t bother hanging around on a forum if everyone openly just referred to me as a liar.

Thing is, if you lie openly, unrepentently and constantly, then being repeatedly called a liar isn’t bullying. It’s statement of fact.

chewkw
    Free Member

We need to work together to create happiness because majority of the people have voted to leave. We need to move on by grabbing the opportunitiy presented to all of us. The past is the past as in history.

People have to remember there is no pre-requisite for Govt to provide running commentaries of govt plan. Besides, Govt should not be desperate or needy to constantly provide news spin.

Let’s work together to have a prosperous future.

Hip ! Hip !

Junkyard
    Free Member

There was no ball to play there was just a person lying
    We all spent years challenging his assertions with the actual facts but he neither listens nor cares and would continue to make things up. On this thread he said he never said £350m per week so someone posted it up and he still denied it 😯 what can you do when someone lies like that ? Fok give up and just say liar as he is beyond the realm of facts , reason and the rules of normal discourse. Its not opinions its just wrong, I may as well argue the world is flat and then get upset when folk call me a liar when I make shit up to support it

Eventually folk just gave up and called him a liar
    Is he bullied or does he deserve it I neither know nor care but whilst he continues to make things up he will continue to be robustly challenged for it like this. Even THM in his defence said he talked baloney so amazingly played the man in his defence and critique of playing the man

(Like religion) jamba-baiting is the one thing that seems exempt from normal rules here – apparently fair game?!?

Are your pants on fire AGAIN? – you bait A_A over a post about 5 years ago STILL, Duckman and “sweaty”, wont talk to me – thanks again- TJ and others so to hear you whinge yet again about baiting and how religion should be special is laughable and just false. You are as guilty as anyone else, actually you are worse as no does grudges like you do grudges, just not to jamby.

PS Have you considered being a good christian, turning the other cheek and forgiving folk their sins rather than whinge on about how it should be special and above criticisms because you believe in an unevidenced sky fairy and folk mock you for this view 🙄 You know what would Jesus do and do that rather than this. PPS what did he say about the rich again ?

Start a vegan thread I will get the same level of protection as a christian only I wont bleat on about how special my beliefs are that no one can challenge or ridicule them.
    EVen the mods ignore your bleating on about this as its just not true its just you want special treatment

BruceWee

We need to work together to create happiness because majority of the people have voted to leave. We need to move on by grabbing the opportunitiy presented to all of us. The past is the past as in history.

Brexit isn’t the past. It’s very much the present. All that’s happened is that there has been a non-binding referendum.

ahwiles
    Free Member

never mind that, i’ll have one of what he’s just had!

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s not even the present, it seems to be the future that our unelected PM has chosen, and she sounds like she’s reneging on the tory manifesto committment to stay in the single market.

GrahamS

Junky: just calling it like I see it. Debating the issues and arguing the facts is one of the reasons we are all here. A bit of friendly banter and teasing is expected with that, and I think we are all grown up enough to accept that. But sometimes it oversteps the mark into straight up name-calling which is not cool (and I’ve been guilty of it myself on occasion).

People have to remember there is no pre-requisite for Govt to provide running commentaries of govt plan.

Likewise people have to remember that the Brexit vote doesn’t give the government a free reign to just do whatever they want in the name of Brexit without even running in past their fellow MPs.

Nobody voted for a dictatorship.

zippykona

Chewk I believe you are from another country and so have the option of returning there.
    Most of us don’t have the choice to live in another country and very soon that option is about to get even harder.
    So we have to do what is best for OUR country, we aren’t lucky enough to have a Plan B so have to overturn the racist majority.
    I reassert that no one was really that bothered about the EU.
    Foxes had marches,badgers had marches ,doctors had marches. Anti EU marches…none that I can recall.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Debating the issues and arguing the facts is one of the reasons we are all here.

Agreed and we can all have opinions but we cannot make up facts to support them – well we can but we will be rightly challenged

But sometimes it oversteps the mark into straight up name-calling which is not cool (and I’ve been guilty of it myself on occasion).

It does and it has but , unfortunately, the evidence base for him “lying” – i think making things up is probably more accurate and nicer, is overwhelming. Saying its rude us true, however its also true hence we get this

I gave up a while ago in general and only do these meta bits as its futile to engage with him

I dont think you ever overstep the mark of civil debate. Not true for all of us, myself included.

binners

Everyone else loving the irony of the mob that claimed they wanted to free us from unaccountable, remote, and anti-democratic technocrats, apparently answerable to no-one, now doing everything in their power to become unaccountable, remote, and anti-democratic technocrats, apparently answerable to no-one

It would be funny if it didn’t have such a whiff of tin-pot dictatorship about it

theocb
    Free Member

Debating the issues and arguing the facts is one of the reasons we are all here. A bit of friendly banter and teasing is expected with that, and I think we are all grown up enough to accept that. But sometimes it oversteps the mark into straight up name-calling which is not cool

THIS^^^ If somebody doesn’t listen to your opinion, the answer is not to bully / assassinate their character to teach them a lesson.

Junkyard, you really do post a lot of nonsense.

chewkw
    Free Member

BruceWee – Member
    Brexit isn’t the past. It’s very much the present. All that’s happened is that there has been a non-binding referendum.

EU is the past.
    Yes, it is binding. Absolutely.

thecaptain – Member
    It’s not even the present, it seems to be the future that our unelected PM has chosen, and she sounds like she’s reneging on the tory manifesto committment to stay in the single market.

All political parties must bow to the people will because people have voted.
    PM May is doing the right thing.

GrahamS – Member
    Likewise people have to remember that the Brexit vote doesn’t give the government a free reign to just do whatever they want in the name of Brexit without even running in past their fellow MPs.

Govt have to bow to the will of the people and Not even MPs can sabotage the democratic rights of the people. MPs have NO power to over rule and to oppose people’s will. The people have voted with their democratic rights so MPs should simply accept their faith because their Masters (People & Democracy) have spoken.

Nobody voted for a dictatorship.

Nobody voted for EU bureaucrats too.

zippykona – Member
    Most of us don’t have the choice to live in another country and very soon that option is about to get even harder.

Of course you have a choice. If you are determine enough to endure a bit of hardship you will get to where ever you wish. Your home is changing so is mine in a land far far away.

BoardinBob

So has Jamba flounced or been banned?

zippykona

Chewk,what kind of hardship?
    Stow away on the back of a lorry, paddle across the sea?
    I quite like my current option of loading up my car and driving down to majorca.

BruceWee

Yes, it is binding. Absolutely.

It’s not legally binding. It’s advisory.

DrJ

If somebody doesn’t listen to your opinion, the answer is not to bully / assassinate their character to teach them a lesson.

The “opinion” bit is not the problem. The problem is making stuff up.

If we’re having a discussion about football, we can have different opinions about which team is boring, attractive, dominated by foreign transfers etc., but if one participant supports their “opinion” by mentioning that Swansea City have won the Champions League ten years in a row, then there ceases to be a rational basis for discussion.

And if they do so over and over again, despite being directed to authoritative lists of Cup winners, then the other participants may get a bit frustrated.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard, you really do post a lot of nonsense.

Amusing that this came at the end of an appeal to be nicer to folk and not play the man and you chose to shoot the messenger and ignore the message completely.
    Sometimes this place does make me chuckle.

If somebody doesn’t listen to your opinion, the answer is not to bully / assassinate their character to teach them a lesson.

Straw man they are pointing out he makes up facts and we al know this is true. Its a fairly basic requirement in debate that what you say is evidenced based. Its fairly basic to accept when the evidence negates your “opinion”.
    When someone does not do this then they get robustly challenged and this eventually degenerates,years later, into just calling the purveyor of untruths a purveyor of untruths in increasingly unpleasant ways.

No one called Blair Bliar till he did his dossier for example.

as i said its not nice but it is NOT inaccurate….probably why you were rude and did not use facts in your rebuttal whilst getting upset about playing the man…irony overload

molgrips
    Free Member

The people have voted with their democratic rights so MPs should simply accept their faith because their Masters (People & Democracy) have spoken.

Honestly you don’t really know how the system is set up. You’re not alone either so don’t take this as an insult.

The UK is a representative democracy. That means that you vote for an MP and they join in parliament and it’s parliament that rules. Not us.

And the referendum was explicitly stated as only advisory.

squirrelking
    Free Member

because you believe in an unevidenced sky fairy and folk mock you for this view

Once again descends within seconds to the depths of childish playground insults. It says a lot about you that you can’t even mention religion without flinging the usual insults about.

Amusing that this came at the end of an appeal to be nicer to folk and not play the man and you chose to shoot the messenger and ignore the message completely.

Do you keep that one on standby perchance? Because you said near enough the same thing the last time I called you out for being a tit. Not playing the man and calling someone out are not mutually exclusive things. I’m quite happy to debate any point someone throws out there but the moment they start flinging insults about then I think it’s fair enough to call them out on it whether you agree with their point or not.

AFAIK he’s just not been on since yesterday which is apparently Big News.

igm

And the referendum was explicitly stated as only advisory.

As I recall from reading it, the legislation that brought the EU membership referendum into being was gloriously silent on the standing of the result – but it certainly didn’t say a majority in favour of leaving means we will leave, so ‘advisory’ is as good a description as any.

Again my recollection is that the Scots independence referendum was very clear about what would happen.

igm

On Jamba – I think he gets a little muddled in his facts sometimes, sometimes clutches at straws for his arguments , and I think he occasionally gets angry and rattles off a response that he’d have been better to think about for a bit (I tend to feel his level of spelling reflects that), but overall he adds a little colour to proceedings. You could lay a lot of those comments at a few doors and I suspect also he is a product of his upbringing / environment to a large degree – aren’t we all?

Occasionally of course I even agree with him – but rarely. I would if he’s ever round my way be have to meet him for a beer and argue the toss.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the moment they start flinging insults about then I think it’s fair enough to call them out on it

Thanks as that is all I did – I assume that was your way of agreeing with me and respecting my right to do it ? WHat a strange way of expressing it as it almost reads like a dig at me for doing what you recommend 😉

Clearly my posting style annoys some – I have the e-mails to prove it- and clearly it annoys others to the point they dont like or respect me. If i ever start arguing i am always polite and considered in my opinions [ or i dont deserve some of what gets dished back to me] to others please feel free to point out my opinion is not evidence based

zokes
    Free Member

On Jamba – I think he gets a little muddled in his facts sometimes

And the understatement of the year award goes to….

GrahamS

I dont think you ever overstep the mark of civil debate.

That’s very kind of you to say Junkyard. My wife used to read my posts and tell me she couldn’t understand why I was such an arsehole online. Since then I always try to re-read what I type in her voice 😀

Neither as far as I’m aware, he just hasn’t commented on this thread for a few hours. 😀

Anyways, trying to drag this back on track…

Govt have to bow to the will of the people and Not even MPs can sabotage the democratic rights of the people. MPs have NO power to over rule and to oppose people’s will. The people have voted with their democratic rights so MPs should simply accept their faith because their Masters (People & Democracy) have spoken.

So you’d put no limits or oversight at all on what the government can do to enact this “will of the people”?

Say, for extremis sake, that they decide to round up all foreigners and place them into internment camps where they would be held until they could be processed and deported. That’d be fine with you? Because Brexit?

The only question on the referendum was “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

There was nothing on there about how we leave. Nothing about freedom of movement, reciprocal healthcare, visas, free trade, EU funding, leaving the ECHR, denying hospital treatment, listing foreign workers, and all the other details that must now be debated and talked about.

And it would be hugely undemocratic to allow all those decisions, which massively shape our post-Brexit future and the laws of this land, to be made behind closed doors without even being debated in parliament.

binners

Junkyard
    Free Member

My wife used to read my posts

Beginners mistake…that like giving her the keys to the shed

TBH i think we all many of us debate in a more robust manner on here than ofline
    For example three of my closest friends are devoutly religious and a friend from school now teaches RE. I am not as rude to religious folk in the real world as I am on here but they all know how strong my views are but that I respect their choice.

I think many of debate on here in a manner we would not elsewhere.
    I also think a lot of my sarcasm and tonugue in cheek points get lost in the muddle of all this

ANyway enough navel gazing for me

igm

Well said Graham

doris5000

I am not as rude to religious folk in the real world as I am on here

why not?

zokes
    Free Member

Well, he is only about five foot tall 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

why not?

[/quote]
    There’s a reason why we don’t discuss religion or politics in public in this country. Forums are exempt though. I guess we can’t punch each other, so being rude doesn’t matter online.

Being rude isn’t the same as persistent [attempts at] bullying the same person though. People who do it really make it clear what kind of person they are.

binners

Northwind

Junkyard – lazarus

This is the real world, you’re not talking to spambots. Except Chewkw obviously. Why be rude to real people online but not in person? Pretty poor imo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its still not bullying IMHO but this is getting close
    Briefly – why not – who knows but folk are not as rude to me about veganism in the real world either so I am assuming many folk do it.
    They are not unaware of my views and they do know I think it is all nonsense. I would be as forthright with non religious friends.In the real world I will see them so why offend them. this is less of a concern online.

Pretty poor imo

It probably is. You and GrahamS seems the rare exceptions that everyone seems to like even if they dont always agree with you. Clearly I lack this skill so its fair enough to say it.
    the bike fitted so you have no room to talk 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Being rude isn’t the same as persistent [attempts at] bullying the same person though. People who do it really make it clear what kind of person they are.

In jamby’s case, I’m afraid his modus operandi of deliberately misrepresenting the truth and being totally blind to evidence generally resulted in a spade being called a spade. I really don’t think that’s bullying.

BoardinBob

the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
    ~ Hermann Göring

🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 11,641 through 11,680 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.