Viewing 40 posts - 11,441 through 11,480 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

If we stay in Europe and ignore all the laws that we don’t like what would happen?

We’d become French.

GrahamS

If we stay in Europe and ignore all the laws that we don’t like what would happen?

We’d be Spanish.

Edit@ beaten to the punchline by 15 seconds 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

zokes – Still not a customer

internationalist … a great album by Powderfinger…

isn’t it just.

i found my copy by pressing the ‘cd eject’ button in a hire car, which was nice.

dazh

massively one-eyed pessimistic scenarios designed to scare the population into voting remain.

You’re right people should stop doing down this great country. The treasury are the worst, a bunch of pinko-liberals pushing their ill-informed internationalist communist agenda on the rest of the country. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

massively one-eyed pessimistic scenarios designed to scare the population into voting remain.

Amazingly you are blind to when your side promised the world- and is still doing so despite it being utterly unachievable

Its true they were overly pessimistic and brexiters hopelessly optimistic

We all know [unless we do policy based evidence making] it will be shit the only question is how shit and for how long

GrahamS

BBC News video story about retail price rises with the usual standard of intelligent and insightful vox pops 😆
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37612777

Text-based one here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37605642

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Le Penn will be much more supportive

Awesome.

I can’t wait to have that right wing mug in my corner!

GrahamS

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂 Cos leave never lied….

You’re arguing from a pre-determined point, Jam.

fourbanger
    Free Member

they export more to us, than we buy off them

This sounds like the sort of nonsense Jambalair comes up with.

fourbanger
    Free Member

we won’t buy their flowers, we’ll buy English flowers instead!

These people must be actors.

binners

These people must be actors.

Unfortunately not. They’re Turkeys who’ve just been asked if they’re looking forward to Christmas

Terrifying isn’t it?

mrmo
    Free Member
    binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHkc9e2ZNpA[/video]

GrahamS

says it all nicely i think.

The 10 year one is much more fun.

low:14.96183

high:130,386,126,556.91151 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

love Hammonds

We are going to go through a period of volatility, there will be lots of commentary going on and we can expect to see markets being more turbulent over this period and we should prepare for that.

Yeah it’s not volatility or turbulance it’s one way traffic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

From BBC above – the words could and up to are important btw – always quote the worst case for clickbait ….

Tariffs on clothes of 16% – so what portion of the High Street pricemof clothes represents cost of manufacturer / import 30% ? So a £50 item in shops would see a tariff price rise of £2.40 even at highest possible tariff – note also that’s extra tax to Government to pay for schools and hospitals.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yeah it’s not volatility or turbulance it’s one way traffic.

Yes at the moment, huge amounts being bet by speculators all against the £. When it snaps back it will move very quickly. The BoE is not intervening as inflation is below target and lower £ helps trade deficit

GrahamS

When it snaps back it will move very quickly.

When do you see this happening?
    What conditions would need to be met for it to snap back?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If you’re one of those families. If you’re just managing. I want to address you directly. I know you’re working around the clock, I know you’re doing your best, and I know that sometimes, life can be a struggle. said Saint Theresa.

Not sure how that ties in with price increases across the board, unless they can somehow magically increase incomes at the same time. But anyway.

igm

When they cancel Brexit Graham

GrahamS

If you’re one of those families. If you’re just managing. I want to address patronise you directly.

FTFY 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

one way traffic

Yes, there’s definitely a clear downward trend in the value of the pound I think we can all agree that Brexit must be entirely to blame for this

El-bent
    Free Member

I think this lot are mental enough to go for a hard brexit. The simple reason is the brexit slogan take back control.

Our negotiating position with the EU is incredibly weak. Once the wider public realise this, the brexshit brigade who narrowly won the referendum on their promise to take back control will face political disaster.

So the simple way for these total sh*ts to save face is to walk away from any substantive negotiations to avoid such an embarrassing unmasking. Don’t think for one moment this isn’t happening, the last week demonstrates otherwise. They are determined to push the button and let their successors and us deal with the consequences.

Hard exit is the soft exit for them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

entirely to blame for what is happening today is the actual claim you deliberately mis stated/ignored as you trollalong

Dark-Side

Tariffs on clothes of 16% – so what portion of the High Street pricemof clothes represents cost of manufacturer / import 30% ? So a £50 item in shops would see a tariff price rise of £2.40 even at highest possible tariff – note also that’s extra tax to Government to pay for schools and hospitals.

Except we have screwed stirling, so we also have to factor in the higher cost of imported goods from (in the case of clothing) the likes of China, Indonesia, Taiwan etc.. In reality its the tarifs plus the increased cost of imported goods, which would mean your £52.40 could easily be £60.

Klunk
    Free Member

sorry yeah I misquoted him it should have read…

We are going to go through a period over half a century of volatility, there will be lots of commentary going on and we can expect to see markets being more turbulent over this period and we should prepare for that.

🙄

zokes
    Free Member

@zokes well if the definition of internationalist means being able to travel throughout the world I am good with that and thats what I meant, if it means the ability to live and work anywhere without any checks then I am not.

You were the one who (laughably) stated that you were an internationalist. I’m just pointing out that to truly be an internationalist, you’d have to be advocating the removal of barriers to movement / work / trade, not the opposite.

Seriously mate, whatever creative substance you’re on, can I have some? I have some minor worldly experience in such things, but I’ve never come across quite such a potent hallucinogen before…

binners

Our negotiating position with the EU is incredibly weak. Once the wider public realise this, the brexshit brigade who narrowly won the referendum on their promise to take back control will face political disaster.

Unfortunately this may need to involve a credible opposition with a sane alternative policy on the subject. You see any sign of one of those? No… me neither.

Corbyns position, having read the detail of it in Sundays Observer, is even more insane than the Tory’s. He’s not fussed about remaining in the single market (what with it being an evil capitalist construct, and all that) but he does want to retain freedom of movement.

Well done Jezza. You listened to the message of voters loud and clear there then. You really couldn’t make it up.

There are a handful of voices in parliament that don’t sound like the’ve just escaped from an institution and are presently off their meds. And they’re coming from some increasingly alarmed Tory backbenchers, and Nick Clegg. Who’d have thought it’d be the likes of Nicky Morgan and Anna Soubry we’d be looking too as the lone voice of sanity

The world has gone mad! We really are well and truly ****ed, aren’t we?

ninfan
    Free Member

Except we have screwed stirling, so we also have to factor in the higher cost of imported goods from (in the case of clothing) the likes of China, Indonesia, Taiwan etc.. In reality its the tarifs plus the increased cost of imported goods, which would mean your £52.40 could easily be £60

Meaning that it may become beneficial to begin onshoring production again, rather than manufacturing abroad.

Another brexit disaster…

zokes
    Free Member

Meaning that it may become beneficial to begin onshoring production again, rather than manufacturing abroad.

I won’t argue against that in theory. But in practice, unless brits are willing to work for similar wages to those paid to chinese / indian etc. workers, then it’s going to result in increased costs to the consumer.

GrahamS

Yes, there’s definitely a clear downward trend in the value of the pound I think we can all agree that Brexit must be entirely to blame for this

Indeed, but the precipitous drop beginning around June of this year just might have something to do with Brexit. No?

El-bent
    Free Member

Which isn’t going to happen.

When are you half-wits going to understand that globalisation isn’t going to stop for us just because we have decided to take a break from it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

El-bent – Member

i doubt it, the same tub-thumping press that supported/encouraged them in the past, will not miss any opportunities to blame ‘the left’, and or foreigners, for anything and everything…

Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed it will be their [EU]fault for punishing us by simply applying the rules of the club and not letting us be special and in it without paying for nor adhering to its rules and those who predicted this for “doing britain down”

thecaptain
    Free Member

Or better still, it will be the fault of the remainers for not cheerleading through the whole fiasco. Whatever, you can bet it won’t be the fault of the idiots who campaigned for it, voted for it or implemented it.

BruceWee

I’ve been feeling pretty fed up for a few days now. My situation is this. I’ve been living in Norway for almost eight years. I have two kids, a three year old and a 6 months old. My plan before the referendum was to move back to Glasgow in the next year or two.

My girlfriend is Italian and I just don’t feel comfortable moving to a country where the government want to put her on a register of foreigners and put my kids on a list of children who were born abroad. I know that’s not the case now but it seems that the government and a significant percentage of the population want this to happen.

Who knows, maybe attitudes will change or Scotland will become independent but until then we’re either staying put or moving to Italy.

Also, **** you, Theresa May, you **** bitch.

“If you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.”

My kids are eligible for Norwegian, Italian, and British passports. They’ll never be completely British, Norwegian, or Italian and in your eyes that makes them less than ‘proper’ British citizens. Well, **** you. My kids are human beings and you’ll always be a **** scumbag.

cchris2lou

Even if some manufacturing restarts in Britain, you don’t have any colonies to import ( steal) raw materials.

kimbers

There surely will be some benefits of the low pound, re exports , as much as people don’t like low paid factory work is gotta be better than zero hours contracts and out current joke unemployment numbers, so hopefully the productivity chasm will narrow.
    All of this could be easily offset by a hard Brexit and the loss to the taxpayer as from the city, coupled with rising prices for imported clothes, food, oil again bad enough,terrible with WTO tartifs from a hard Brexit.
    So hopefully the economy could rebalance in a few years or so , but very tough for those that loose put in the meantime, it’s s good job we haven’t got 3 delusional clowns in charge of Brexit…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

let me know when the Uk is ready to open a Foxconn factory

Viewing 40 posts - 11,441 through 11,480 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.