Viewing 40 posts - 11,041 through 11,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    However before she had the marriage visa, the first thing she was always told was “we won’t sponsor you”.

It used to be easier in the 80s or 90s with work permit from UK govt but in the last 20 years or so it got harder because of the EU exerting it’s employment law (many employers turn me down due to this – interviews plenty but offer no). This is because EU refused to let non-EU people get a job in EU unless the employers are willing to jump through the hoops with the applicants.

Nothing to do with UK I am afraid. Been there done that. The EU rules make it harder for British companies to hire non-EU people. All my friends face the same problems. I can assure you without the EU bureaucrats British Companies will hire people from all over the world left right and centre. They want the Best for their business!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Nipper BTW did you see Merkel was asking German business to support her stance, she has already had the car unions saying they want a deal. Also see the logic that if UK is granted a deal on freedom of movement then many countries will want the same 😯 isn’t that the point, the people of Europe don’t want freedom of movement. Its the EU elite who are wedded to it. There is absolitely no need for free trade to be linked with freedom of movement. The EU created this link as a step to political union, an EU superstate.

All the those here who want higher Government spending better hope that there is much more money to be raised from these international tax swerves like Apple. Otherwise there quite simply won’t be enough tax revenue as it’s not going to come from other sources, “tax the rich” is political dogma rather than a tax policy which is actually going to raise any money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom we are adopting the same practices as Canada, Australia and the US. If that’s your idea of the 1930’s then so be it

Australia gives away a very substantial number of working holiday visaá (I think it’s actually more than EU migration to the UK) to get enough cheap and flexible labour to meet it’s needs.
    Parts of the US are reliant on cheap illegal immigration
    Canada? Mostly trees init…

But your entire premise is that immigration in it’s current state is bad. Here lies the problem the evidence doesn’t really back it up. In fact the evidence is positive and says it’s been a good thing.

The bits around it like housing/education/health are things that successive UK governments have ignored. It’s got nothing to do with the EU.
    There are some things you can blame the damm immigrants for
    Paying Tax
    Doing jobs that UK workers snub
    Working hard and opening businesses
    Expanding the population in the areas that are needed to fund the aging baby boomers

But those things don’t make a good slogan do they.
    Imagine the Mail/Express headlines – Pensioners hounded out of retirement Villa, told to Piss off and go home – from places they made their homes – how very dare they!
    A nightmare in Provonce – how I can’t live in my retirement property – a retired couple are not eligable for a visa due to being a drain on the state.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Tom we are adopting the same practices as Canada, Australia and the US. If that’s your idea of the 1930’s then so be it

Perhaps Australia wasn’t the best example…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

@Captain you will recall I called the US loss carry forwrd stupid. I am consistent. Trump would do just as Apple etc do. That’s why the law needs changing and is one reason why “full access to the single market” is a bad idea.

How the hell do you know? He refuses to release his tax data. 😆
    It’s good that you still think you can defend Trump’s alleged tax dodging but call Starbuck’s tax dodging a scam and remain credible.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

But your entire premise is that immigration in it’s current state is bad. Here lies the problem the evidence doesn’t really back it up. In fact the evidence is positive and says it’s been a good thing.

Which typifies the whole debate. It is based in a false premise. But the target swing voter – white working class England – wants to be fed this stuff and May&Co seem only too happy to oblige. They know that they have Corbyn by the shirt and curries here and they will squeeze hard.

Unfortunately, while this is good for them, it’s appaling for the rest of us.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rich Australia had a massive illegal migrant problem which they have largely solved with very tough action. People who arrive illegally have committed a criminal offense and should be held in a prison. I think Australia is an good example.

But your entire premise is that immigration in it’s current state is bad

Yes uncontrolled immigration is bad, that is the current state but will be changing very soon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s good that you still think you can defend Trump’s alleged tax dodging but call Starbuck’s tax dodging a scam and remain credible.

Consistent. The rules need to be changed in both cases. Starbucks etc is a bit different as they sad down and agreed a clandestine deal with Luxembourg/Ireland authorities involving all sorts of smoke and mirrors.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

See what I mean….Jambas last line is incorrect in at least three ways which is quite an achievement.

False arguments with no supporting data resulting in bad outcomes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Rich Australia had a massive illegal migrant problem which they have largely solved with very tough action.

No its a refugee problem that isfar from being solved and is resulting in the deaths of people and atrocities in detention. As usual more jambyfacts.

kimbers

handy chart here

Norway option please

br
    Free Member

Also see the logic that if UK is granted a deal on freedom of movement then many countries will want the same isn’t that the point, the people of Europe don’t want freedom of movement. Its the EU elite who are wedded to it.

I think you’ll find that Joe Public do want freedom of movement, it’s just that they don’t actually understand the consequences of not having it – and for most the only time they’ll see any of it is while queuing at an airport and/or applying for visa’s.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Consistent. The rules need to be changed in both cases. Starbucks etc is a bit different as they sad down and agreed a clandestine deal with Luxembourg/Ireland authorities involving all sorts of smoke and mirrors.

Whereas Trump is the paragon of transparency. JambaWorld a place to live out your fantasies.

GrahamS

Ah splendid I see the government have decided to allow fracking at Cuadrilla’s site in Lancashire.

Pam Foster, co-founder of Residents Action on Fylde Fracking, said: “This is a total denial of democracy. Our parish council, our borough council, our county council all threw out this application.

“We have pursued every democratic channel we can do, there’s nothing left for us. We’re pretty disgusted and very upset.”
    BBC

What happened to all that “listening to the people” and “respecting democracy” stuff?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ah splendid I see the government have decided to allow fracking at Cuadrilla’s site in Lancashire.

That is good news. Just the first of many hopefully.

richmtb

You know that you are living in strange times when Alex Massie in the Spectator starts making sense

Spectator Link

Scottish jobs for Scottish workers. We’re going to stop foreigners from coming here and taking jobs Scottish people can do. We are going to make companies declare the nationality of their employees: those that do not employ a sufficiently high percentage of Scots will be ‘named and shamed’. They have a duty to this country; a duty to our people.

But I say only this: think how you might react if the SNP were talking – loudly and clearly and unashamedly – in this fashion. Think how you would react to that. And then apply that thinking to the rhetoric we’ve heard in Birmingham this week. Judge your own by the standards you’d use to judge others. That’s all.

kimbers

Any chance blackpool could take em to the EHCR ?, (backed brexit by 68% , tho but europes gotta be good for something )

GrahamS

That is good news. Just the first of many hopefully.

Regardless of whether you think it is good news or not, it is an immediate return to business as usual for the government after a week of big promises. As I said on the fracking thread:

Theresa May on Sunday:

the Government I lead will be driven not by the interests of a privileged few, but by the interests of ordinary, working-class families.

Theresa May on Wednesday:

Our democracy should work for everyone, but if you’ve been trying to say things need to change for years and your complaints fall on deaf ears, it doesn’t feel like it’s working for you.

Theresa May’s Government on Thursday:

Screw you, ordinary working class families, trying to block the interests of the privileged few with your democracy. Your complaints fall on deaf ears.

Makes you wonder if, despite Brexit, they have really learnt anything at all about listening to the electorate.

And it also makes their complaints about Remainers trying to ignore democracy look just a bit hypocritical.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Norway option please

We’ve been through this before. Norwegian Referemdum voted against joining the EU but Government ignored it and just signed up anyway. A suitably anti-Drmocratic responce worthy of the EU

GrahamS

Norway option please

I think they’d need a LOT of spin to get that to fly with Brexit voters:
    Still pay, still accept Freedom of Movement, still bound by EU rules, but no longer any say in those rules.

What would be the point in leaving?

And it would fly in the face of May saying:

I want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate within the Single Market – and let European businesses do the same here.

But let’s state one thing loud and clear: we are not leaving the European Union only to give up control of immigration all over again. And we are not leaving only to return to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. That’s not going to happen.

GrahamS
    jambalaya
    Free Member

@Graham kimbers was making a joke, Norway option is acceptable to RemIners given the Referendum result

EU faces a right muddle as the Swiss voted against Freedom of Movement in a legally binding Referendum nearly 2 years ago

GrahamS

Norway option is acceptable to RemIners given the Referendum result

I seem to remember some Leavers on here pushing it as an option before the referendum (though to be fair it might have just been chewkw).

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

@Graham kimbers was making a joke, Norway option is acceptable to RemIners given the Referendum result

U wot m8?

Aren’t you and the majority of remianers arguing for a hard exit with migration controls?

br
    Free Member

EU faces a right muddle as the Swiss voted against Freedom of Movement in a legally binding Referendum nearly 2 years ago

Remind me, when have they been a part of the EU?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

As soon as the whole process starts we’ll get Brexiters telling us Remainers what we really want. 🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

Remind me, when have they been a part of the EU?
    They have an associate deal with the EU that is dependent on them allowing free movement. So there’s a bit of a problem…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, anyway, this whole thing has convinced me to do a masters and a PhD that will involve me going to places where I might get shot at. I don’t feel like contributing to the health and well being of Brits anymore.

*spits on the floor*

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rich Australia had a massive illegal migrant problem

Wrong, about 2000 people currently detained.

which they have largely solved with very tough action.

Wrong, it’s a massive political issue, riots in the camps, rife with abuse and so on.

People who arrive illegally have committed a criminal offense
    Wrong.

and should be held in a prison.

Wrong, prisons are for criminals.

[/quote]I think Australia is an good example.[/quote]
    Yes, I’m not surprised you do. I think you are not a good example of a human being. We are both entitled to our views. Mine is evidence based though 😉

Klunk
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

The software had been programmed by to a spec, someone wrote the spec…

kimbers

According to some, Hollande’s tough comments about Brexit negotiations are behind the shock fall in the pound overnight.

Speaking in Paris at a dinner attended by some of the most senior EU officials, including the Commission’s President Jean-Claude Juncker, Hollande said:

The UK has decided to do a Brexit, I believe even a hard Brexit. Well, then we must go all the way through the UK’s willingness to leave the EU. We have to have this firmness.

If not, we would jeopardise the fundamental principles of the EU. Other countries would want to leave the EU to get the supposed advantages without the obligations.

There must be a threat, there must be a risk, there must be a price. Otherwise we will be in a negotiation that cannot end well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He is only saying what we all knew anyway. They hold all the cards as we want to access their market and they can best ride the turbulent waters of a “hard” Brexit

TBH the RW press will go into overload about saying how they bullied us when all they are saying tis this club has rules if you do not follow them then you cannot have the benefits
    None of this “negotiating” position is news as they have said this all along

Anyway Dr Fox will make it even freer as he leaves and we start using tariffs

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kimbers Hollande is fighting an election (and in massive trouble unlikley to reach the final 2). Best look at actions rather than words, after years of inaction Calais Jungle is now closed and will be flattened and vacant by December. Far from opening the border France reaffirmed Le Touquet agreement and is spending €€€€ distributing the migrants around France.

Clear the fall in £ bs $ in the middle of the night when virtually no one was trading was a technical flash crash caused by electronic trading. Fall recovered almost immediately. The lower the £ goes the more pressure there is in on Europe as their export sales head downwards. We’ve already seen record UK service sector activity and manufacturing is strong post Referendum as lower £ makes our exports more attractive, recycling busi ess on TV yesterday reminded us they’d had dealt with same £/€ rates 3 years ago just fine and new business opportunities in US as a result of better for them exchnage rate.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Juncker has said a lot of things over recent months. One of the things he has said most frequently is that there will be no negotiation before article 50 has been served and that all EU officials are banned from any informal Brexit talks with Britain.

Most observers haven’t clocked that this presidential decree is outside of his actual powers – so the very criticism levelled at Brussels i.e. unelected officials dictating to member states what will happen is perfectly illustrated in what’s happening now. It’s also clear that although all member states will be negatively impacted by Brexit, the commission is much more interested in scoring political points and shoring up its power base than working through issues in a constructive orderly way. Again this highlights why significant reform of the workings of the Commission is long overdue.

kimbers

So is this the new normal then?

http://polemics-pains.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/gbp-goes-eurchf-whats-going-on.html?m=1

Jambs, how is a low pound helping services ‘export’ ? Can see with manufactued goods

Surely a good services sector just shows how successful we are whilst still in the EU

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Most observers haven’t clocked that this presidential decree is outside of his actual powers – so the very criticism levelled at Brussels i.e. unelected officials dictating to member states what will happen is perfectly illustrated in what’s happening now. It’s also clear that although all member states will be negatively impacted by Brexit, the commission is much more interested in scoring political points and shoring up its power base than working through issues in a constructive orderly way. Again this highlights why significant reform of the workings of the Commission is long overdue.

It’s very patronising to assume that this fact has passed by all the member states. Iz it coz their foreign wot makes dem stoopid?

GrahamS

Clear the fall in £ bs $ in the middle of the night when virtually no one was trading was a technical flash crash caused by electronic trading. Fall recovered almost immediately.

You have a very loose definition of “recovered”!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

t’s also clear that although all member states will be negatively impacted by Brexit,

Including us. 100% correct – we have delivered a lose:lose result.

BSers are more interested in scoring political points and shoring up their power base than working through issues in a constructive orderly way.

FTFY – “them and us, them and us” cry the Little Britishers

Junkyard
    Free Member

i.e. unelected officials dictating to member states what will happen is perfectly illustrated in what’s happening now

He is an elected leader and what this post highlights is that Brexiters are still happy to continue to spout factually incorrect BS
    Secondly the EU will be negotiating the exit not the member states
    One may as well argue Scotland is being dictated to here. Except of course that is a more factually correct point but you will ignore as they cannot negotiate separately and are being dictated to be a govt they never voted for and having a policy implemented they dont support. DO you feel as strongly on that or do you just abuse points to make your own political cheap shots?

the commission is much more interested in scoring political points and shoring up its power base than working through issues in a constructive orderly way.

Are you suggesting the UK/Tory party leadership has been behaving differently ? Surely you are not this daft

Viewing 40 posts - 11,041 through 11,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.