Viewing 40 posts - 9,761 through 9,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Daffy

philxx1975 – Member
    You evidently have no idea about R&D tax relief either.

No, no idea at all, and neither do our external accountants, nor any of the internal finance team.

In fact, why don’t we fire them all and take you on as a consultant?

jambalaya
    Free Member

it is a little known fact the Eu contributes allegedly 50% to our defense budget and that was due to include Trident,

Little known is somewhat of an understatement !

How can David Davies possibly say what the outcome of negotiations which haven’t even started yet will be ?

He and the Government have given our objectives/best case scenario

1) A trade deal, not necssarily full access to the single market
    2) A deal specific to the UK, it won’t be the Norwegean deal, it won’t be the Swiss Deal etc
    3) No freedom of movement
    4) No budget contribution

As for TTIP I think its now dead if it wasn’t before, Germany and France don’t want ti and Clinton and Trump want to renogtiate NAFTA never mind sign anything new. TTIP was/became an Obama project, he’s done now. We do a lot of business with the US without a deal, I forsee that being the near term future.

noltae
    Free Member

Brexit isn’t about having a plan – It’s about the capacity to make plans of which remaining teathered to an inherently facist system prohibits – There is nothing intrinsic pertaining to Brexit ..

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ this

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How can David Davies possibly say what the outcome of negotiations which haven’t even started yet will be ?

Not quite as good a slogan to pop on the bus eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

Brexit isn’t about having a plan

Hehe.. you wish it wasn’t.. but we actually need one if we are to do it.

I think the problem here is not necessarily the referendum, but the fact that the government thinks the result means we have to implement it. The referendum should have simply indicated the will of the people – the government then should have promised to figure out what it could do to work towards that, IF it’s practical. None of this ‘Brexit means Brexit’ sloganeering with talk of article 50 in 6 months’ time.

aracer
    Free Member

Phew. So we could come up with a plan which involves staying in the EU then?

molgrips
    Free Member

If anything is worse than having the damn referendum in the first place, it’s how the government has handled it since.

Actually, the debate was pretty stupid too. So in ascending order of stupidity it’s

The referendum pledge – stupid
    The debate – scandalously stupid
    The handling of the aftermath – colossally stupid

These politicians have no idea what they are doing. Have politicians ever really known what they are doing?

bigrich

I must say, the whole thing is wonderfully entertaining.

GrahamS

aracer
    Free Member

Probably not – it’s just that previously they’ve always had civil servants who did holding their hand. This time the civil service have no idea what to do either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This time the civil service have no idea what to do either.

Imagine going to work every day and waiting expectantly to hear the direction, or coming in every day to find your boss has been overuled again

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and more meanwhile….

Research fears
    Dame Julia’s warnings follow concerns about the stability of research funding at UK universities, with some research groups saying they lost out on grants in the weeks following the referendum.
    The latest global university ranking table, published on Tuesday by QS, shows UK universities losing position compared with international competitors.
    “Uncertainty over research funding, immigration rules and the ability to hire and retain the top young talent from around the world seems to be damaging the reputation of the UK’s higher education sector,” said QS head of research Ben Sowter.
    Mr Sowter said his research was carried out before the referendum but he believes the result will have “undoubtedly added to this uncertainty”.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-37286961

(Awaits the spin machine)

Lifer
    Free Member

Australian trade Minister says no deal until Brexit complete.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

‘Advance agenda’
    In a joint statement, Mr Fox and Mr Ciobo announced the creation of a working group to discuss areas of mutual co-operation including future investment opportunities.
    The working group’s first meeting will be in Australia in January.

Very handy, nice time for a holiday 😉
    It should come as no surprise that there will be no negotiations until it’s complete those are the rules and as Australia is negotiating a free trade deal with the EU currently they wouldn’t want to upset that one.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Brexit isn’t about having a plan – It’s about the capacity to make plans of which remaining teathered to an inherently facist system prohibits – There is nothing intrinsic pertaining to Brexit ..

That makes absolutely no sense.

Pigface
    Free Member

Back of the queue with Australia now as well, oh this Brexit lark is going so well isnt it?

What can we possibly trade with Australia that will make up the shortfall of leaving Europe? I heard that the service industry makes up 80% of our GDP how is that going to help Australia. Distance, time zones notwithstanding what services are we going to sell them? What manufacturing are we going to trade with them?

It is a joke, a really bad joke.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://dfat.gov.au/trade/resources/Documents/uk.pdf
    As previously
    Aus Imports Cars and Pharma as the mains stays, hope the UK doesn’t stuff up it’s motor and pharma insustries… The trade off will be cheaper Oz wine probably.
    Also being an English speaking country the UK is/was seen as a good EU staging point for HQ’s etc. as the languange and culture made it easy to set up a base in the EU.
    Say hello Dublin 🙂

oldnpastit

But, but, we were told everyone would be queuing up to sign deals with us!

Seems like we’re the ones doing the queuing. Talk about humiliating.

dudeofdoom

These politicians have no idea what they are doing. Have politicians ever really known what they are doing?

Yep.. They get paid regardless of how harsh joe public gets hit with brexit.

I just think the biggest thing they learnt from it was that they can pretty much lie and use a good slogan and (so far) get away with it.

BTW Breakfast means Breakfast.

kimbers

Still at least Liam Fox is guaranteed several trips to Australia a year, he probably sees it as a just reward, he fought desperately to avoid paying back some of the largest sums owed in the expenses scandal, after all.
    Will his chum Werrity get to go too? What’s the betting his Healthcare company (that fox is a major shareholder in) will get a good line on Australian healthcare provision.
    While they are at it maybe they could discuss Hunt’s flight of Jr Drs to Oz 😉

I’m still waiting for Fox to announce a major (arms) deal with Sri Lanka, they must be getting annoyed at waiting for the backhanders paid to Fox and Werrity taking so long to bear fruit (even tho we are already their biggest trading partner after India, despite their abysmal human rights record and american cable/Wikileaks revelations )

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I dont really have a problem with the fact that they have no idea/plan about Brexit – that was/is obvious – but i do have a problem that the BSers pretended that having a plan might be possible and that Brexit would be relatively painless. It isnt and wont be. It will be tortuous and demanding not least because we lack the resources to deliver it.

We have years of unnecessary pain and uncertainty inflicted on us on the basis of lies, racism and xenophobia. To watch that clown Gove in the debate was another low point.

zippykona

**** Europe **** australia we can trade with the Faroe Isands. (Hopefully)
    When that **** said that there will be no going back on Brexit because some people didn’t like it he seems to forget that “some” is very nearly half the vote.
    **** stupid **** ****.

rosscore
    Free Member

Politicians and the none commercial public really don’t get this ‘trade’ thing, it’s not about wether we can trade with Australia, Europe or wherever, its what the duty tariffs will be. When we went into the single market, 100’s of duty brokers lost their jobs, if we don’t get a tariff free deal with Europe which I have to say is unlikely since they don’t want us becoming the back door to their territory which would be incredibly profitable for us if we managed to pull it off. Then there will be simply more tariffs to apply at the point of entry, which means more jobs.
    If you’ve ever imported stuff or worked in a company that does you will know the Tariff book is bigger than the Holy Bible and Koran stacked on top of each other and just as ambiguous. The Dutch in particular are the masters in ‘interpretation’ hence the massive trade hub around Rotterdam, we on the other hand have dull jobsworths that apply the first tariff they come to with the resulting increase in the costs of your goods.

Personally although it’s going to be a huge amount of work, I’m happier that in the long run control of inbound pricing is back under our mandate and if we manage to swing a deal, it could be a bonanza for UK manufacturers.

Take bikes for example, there is a huge tariff on ready built bikes from China, yet if imported as components it’s only about 4%, there’s a deal between us and Taiwan yet an anti dumping clause from I’m not sure where, probably the EU.

If we negotiate a better deal with China, down would come the cost of entry of bikes into here, then the possibility of re export to Europe via our tariff free agreement could flood their market with cheap chinese built complete bikes, so do you see where it could go and why it’s going to be complex?

molgrips
    Free Member

but i do have a problem that the BSers pretended that having a plan might be possible and that Brexit would be relatively painless

Well as I said, if they’d treated the referendum as the advisory statement it was meant to be, we might have been able to do something.

slowoldman

Only one man can save us now

GrahamS

The Doctor?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well as I said, if they’d treated the referendum as the advisory statement it was meant to be, we might have been able to do something.

What?

molgrips
    Free Member

Start exploring what would happen, put together a potential plan, debate its consequences, and then a commons vote on exit. Or maybe incorporating voter’s concerns into party policies and manifestos…..

In other words, the constitutional equivalent of Relate, rather than simply popping out for fags and not coming back.

dazh

Or maybe incorporating voter’s concerns into party policies and manifestos…..

How do you incorporate ‘burn the foreigners’ into sensible party policy?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

coffee/keyboard

thanks dazh!! 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Well, I see Brexit trade agreements are preceding as expected..

The US, China & Oz have all told us to naff off till we’ve invoked Article 50, then they can properly screw us to the floor!

Well done BSers!

zippykona

Oh come on why so negative? Slowly we will turn this country into such a shit hole that all those nasty foreigners will bugger off.
    Three cheers for nigel. ****.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Good point zippy!

At least we’ll have taken back “CONTROLLLLLL!!!!” as well……????

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

More evidence that the EU has our best interests at heart :

The transatlantic trade deal TTIP may be dead, but something even worse is coming

DrJ

More evidence that the EU has our best interests at heart :

Indeed, but it’s not just the EU. As noted in the article, the UK govt is equally enthusiastic to sign away our lives to multinationals. What we need is a party that has a different idea about the way forward that focuses on the rights of ordinary people, and not the profits of the already-very-rich.

Thing is – suppose such a party looked like emerging – how do you think the establishment would respond? Maybe with a media onslaught designed to make sure that it could never get the necessary support of the proles. Sound familiar?

mt
    Free Member

“What we need is a party that has a different idea about the way forward”

Aye laddie the Yorkshire Party, it’s the place we can all winge about cost of everything.

Free Yorkshire! An it better be cheap.

Northwind

DrJ – Member

Indeed, but it’s not just the EU. As noted in the article, the UK govt is equally enthusiastic to sign away our lives to multinationals

Considerably more enthusiastic; if they had their way we’d have probably negotiated worse terms for TTIP while insisting it was “brave”.

kimbers

I see Liam Fox is doing a sterling job of advertising the UK to the world.

I can’t tell if he’s getting his excuses in early or trying to blame businesses as hes finally realised that outside of his Brexit fantasyland foreign investors see Europe as a bigger priority than the UK. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 9,761 through 9,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.