Viewing 40 posts - 9,681 through 9,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

And as we all know the best way to fix it is to take our ball home 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A BREXIT brainstorming session has come up with the idea of boosting the UK’s economy by remaining in the EU.

The entire Conservative cabinet was brought together to think of new and radical approaches to Brexit by prime minister Theresa May, who told everyone that there are no bad ideas and everything is on the table.

Brexit secretary David Davis said: “It was 2am when Liam Fox said ‘If we need to be in the single market and we need freedom of movement, why don’t we join the EU?’

“Unfortunately we realised that, post-Brexit, there’s no way we’d meet the criteria – the country will be a wreck – but as we haven’t actually left yet we can simply stay in.
    Full Story

jambalaya
    Free Member

Daily Mash is always work a laugh

Hollande was spouting more merde yesterday saying from France’s perspective Article 50 had to completed by 2019 from France’s perspective. He seems to ignore the fact the timing has nothing to do with him. Brexit gives him and Merkel a big problem as they face general elections this year. Sarkozy dug up the old “lets put the Jungle camp in UK” yesterday as well, even the French are well aware the migrants are in France illegally and they cannot travel to the UK not least as many have “lost” their passports

Nipper99
    Free Member

Interesting comments coming from the G20 (along the lines of are you f***ing insane). Are we about to have another Suez moment?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Interesting comments coming from the G20 (along the lines of are you f***ing insane). Are we about to have another Suez moment?

Yeah but we’re British. Performing a Brexit is no ordinary task, to perform one, the user must be British. Many French, Germans and Italians have met their end attempting to perform a Brexit, the most notable being Mussolini, who performed a Brexit from the League of Nations in 1937. Six years later, his corpse was hanging upside-down, suspended on meat hooks from the roof of a petrol station.

Northwind

Ah, I see in the Telegraph everything’s fine on the trade negotiations front- we’re going to borrow negotiators from the nations we’re negotiating with. That’s genius, we’ll have all their negotiators and they’ll have none and they’ll have to agree to anything we want.

Maybe Jeremy Hunt could follow this genius approach and borrow contract negotiators from the BMA.

binners

I enjoyed Liam Foxes statement the other day that we need to return to a Britain of the “Victorian buccaneering spirit”

I’m sure that a lot of the parts of the world we pillaged at the time would much rather we didn’t. What a ****ing idiotic statement.

I’m still going with my assumption that Theresa has put those 3 utter clowns in charge of proceedings, safe in the knowledge that they’re going to **** it up to such a ridiculous degree (and all the signs show they are already) that the whole thing will dissolve into complete farce (and all the signs show they are already), she’ll step in, do a deal involving nothing much changing. Still with access to the single market, with freedom of movement the other side of the deal.

Fingers crossed

Junkyard
    Free Member

What a ****ing idiotic statement.

FFS binners do you always have to be so partisan

I for one would love the opportunity to be a pirate on the high seas

Nipper99
    Free Member

😀

https://twitter.com/?lang=en-gb

Edit:

it was the Larry the Cat tweet.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So far it’s been humble pie all round from the doomsday merchants.

I see Obama couldn’t help himself but comment,mstill talking about “back of the queue” when the queue is only 1 deal under discussion and now ex UK the EU will almost certainly never sign TTIP. Obama also is history, US election in November and new POUS in Jan will make any decisions.

We all understand it was best for the US and many others for us to remain in the EU as we helped prop it up. The Brexit will hurt Europe so that’s less exports for US etc to Europe and a big question mark about what will happen when Greece finally defaults.

Makes total sense to accept offer of help from Aussie, NZ and Canadian negotiators. All long term relationships with similar outlooks and all keen to do a deal with us. Makes perfect sense to line up deals with these countries and others, EU is a dogs breakfast of 27 different points of view

May is meeting world leaders, she’s already had 1-1 with Merkel and Hollande so no need to see them at G20

Junkyard
    Free Member

t’s been humble pie all round from the doomsday merchants.

Who could disagree that the entire world has fallen at our feet and a brave new economic dawn awaits us all 😆

TBH its way to early to be sure but the evidence is – and there is nothing to support such an absurd statement as yours
    1. The Eu will – as was so obvious – play “hardball- which means we wont get our cake an eat it
    2. No one else is particularly interested in us

What happen over the next two years is still up in the air but its certainly a choppy sea we will be a pirating on.

still talking about “back of the queue” when the queue is only 1 deal under discussion

Keep up at the back will you or you run the risk of looking like you are ignorant of the facts and merely awash with optimism not matched by reality

After her first bilateral meeting with Obama, May was warned that the US wanted to focus on trade negotiations with the EU and a bloc of pacific nations before considering a deal with the UK.

zippykona

You can tell how proud I felt as the nice man at the bureau of the change (made it almost inglish) only gave me 575 of the dirty euros for my splendid £500 . The less of that foreign muck money I have to carry around the better.
    3 cheers for Mr Farage.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Liam Fox of the Crimson Permanent Assurance no doubt.

[/url]meaning-of-life-6 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr[/img]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How can you talk about humble pie – economic activity is on balance weaker despite a massive stimulus from a weaker pound, lower IR, greater fiscal stimulus and the outlook is more uncertain that it needs to be or should be.

But since we have no idea about what the end game will look like, it seems pretty foolhardy to be drawing conclusions now

Pigface
    Free Member

So far it’s been humble pie all round from the doomsday merchants.

😯

Um maybe because nothing has happened yet, we are in the phony war but don’t let that spoil you idiotic view of things

philxx1975
    Free Member

An independent Yorkshire would be the ideal place for companies to set

No believe me as someone who saw first hand how European money was used to regenerate…its shite

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Humble pie may be available once something has actually happened, maybe when 2/10 of the brexit promises are delivered.
    (awaits memo declaring that Great Britain be used more often – tick promise delivered)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tmh IMF already said the UK has bounced back from the immediate “shock” at Referendum result. Instead of forecasted recession (scaremongering) they now predict growth for 2017. Chief doomsdayer Osbourne is long gone, got a good slap from his own Tory party MPs for his punishment budget the day after he announced it.

Yes oir holiday spending money has taken a hit but FX rates move all the time, the £ was lower than it is today against the € back in 2007/8. Lower exchange rates have already helped manufacturing and exports. Against $ we’ve seen £ recover a lot of ground. Once things become more certain I have no doubt both rates will recover and in particular againat fhe € which IMO is going a lot lower, it may even disappear altogether.

Lots of press coverage today obviously of the German elections where AfD moved into second place.Merkel may even not stand again in 2017. Europe could well look very different by the end of 2017 and we’ll have a new POUSA too.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Humble pie may be available once something has actually happened

Exactly. Saw an interview with some brexiteer a while back who was crowing about how the economic damage hasn’t been as bad as some predicted. The interviewer basically said “You do realise we haven’t left the EU? This is just the damage caused by saying we’re going to leave” He didn’t really seem to understand the difference tbh.

It’s fairly unlikely that the big picture will be as bad as some of the fantasy figures from economic halfwits like Osborne, but who ever took an Osborne economic prediction seriously? I’ve said this before but you don’t get points for failing less catastrophically than your critics said you’d fail; if I roll towards a jump and someone says “you’ll die”, and then all that happens is I paralyse myself, I don’t call that a victory. Maybe that’s because I lack the go-getting mindset of a brexiteer.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a huge increase in racism and tend of thousands of our friends and neighbours are fearing for their futures and those of their families. I’m mourning the loss of some of my rights that mean a lot to me too. But everything’s great, course it is.. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Meanwhile…

Theresa May has cast doubt on the feasibility of a points-based system for controlling immigration into the UK, one of the key promises of Leave campaigners during the EU referendum.
    Speaking in China, the PM acknowledged people had voted for more control on the numbers of people moving to the UK.
    But she questioned whether a points system, backed by Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson among others, would work.
    She suggested it was not a “silver bullet” for addressing public concerns.

I just don’t know why the remain lot are not going for the wafer thin mint after all the humble pie…

phiiiiil

From the BBC; “but this is the first sign that one of the referendum’s winning side’s promises may not be kept.”

No, no it really isn’t…

codybrennan
    Free Member

The good news just keeps on coming….well, good news if you’re a foreign investor, I mean:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-37260267

binners

So the Japanese are the first (of many, no doubt) to bring a bit of uncomfortable reality to the economic cloud cuckooland the Breixteers inhabit

jambalaya
    Free Member

No one on the Leave side promised points based immigration as the Leave campaign was a campaign not a government or a political party with a manifesto. It was a suggestion and imo a good one. May seems to be going down more of a quota / cap route. Also the comment that points based means you are obliged to accept applocants without limits is total cr@p. Depends how you design the system.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners the Japanese (and US etc) are cr@pping themselves that Europe is going to head into a deep recession due to Brexit compounded by staggering national debts in not jist Greece but Spain and Italy too. As such we have all this whinning as they want us to keep propping up the EU. Its no skin off their nose we pay £10bn a year into the pockets of other EU nations or we are subject uncontrolled immigration and a court supreme to our own

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cody good news also if you are 1 of the 68% of Brits who own their own home. A lower £ generaloy attracts foreign money into UK property in the same way it helps tourism and manufacturing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as the Leave campaign was a campaign not a government or a political party with a manifesto. It was a

a? Another bit of bull shit. The leave campaign stood on platforms and promised stuff to people and now decides it’s the publics problem for believing them. Most of this stuff is all the things that during the campaign were called out but people like you assured everyone it was all possible and would definitely happen. Take a good look and stop hiding behind the lies/fakes/bullshit side of it.

br
    Free Member

@binners the Japanese (and US etc) are cr@pping themselves that Europe is going to head into a deep recession due to Brexit compounded by staggering national debts in not jist Greece but Spain and Italy too. As such we have all this whinning as they want us to keep propping up the EU. Its no skin off their nose we pay £10bn a year into the pockets of other EU nations or we are subject uncontrolled immigration and a court supreme to our own

Says the man that doesn’t need a job in the UK…

codybrennan
    Free Member

@cody good news also if you are 1 of the 68% of Brits who own their own home.

I’m not sure what you mean by this one J- if you mean interest rates are lower for borrowing, then generally yes. But if we have an influx of strong foreign funds coming in, then this balance is strongly tipped in the foreign buyer’s favour-

A lower £ generaloy attracts foreign money into UK property in the same way it helps tourism and manufacturing

Yes, but this is the thing, isn’t it….its an ill wind that blows no-one any good, and I’m doubtful- very- that certain areas of the UK need their property markets to get any hotter.
    A skyscraper being bought from abroad….well, I can live with that, though rental values then rise and that money flows offshore….but first-time buyers are getting hurt. That needs addressed.

oldbloke
    Free Member

No one on the Leave side promised points based immigration

Well, there’s the inconvenient truth that the promise of such a scheme still sits on the voteleavetakecontrol.org website. Along with other fine promises such as the saving of £350M per week.

ninfan
    Free Member

The leave campaign stood on platforms and promised stuff to people and now decides it’s the publics problem for believing them. Most of this stuff is all the things that during the campaign were called out but people like you assured everyone it was all possible and would definitely happen.

Where’s the complete collapse of western democracy that I was promised by remain?

Where’s my Third World War?

I specifically voted to leave based entirely on the promise that these things would happen in the event that we voted to leave. In fact to someone like me they were the best things about it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@ninfan cause nothing has actually happened yet.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fortunately, I believe that the Japanese have a better understanding of what is going on than this suggests.

The only thing that Brexiteers promised was false hope and less foreigners. It worked too.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ah, but that argument works both ways doesnt it!

elliott-20
    Free Member

Ah, but that argument works both ways doesnt it!

Exactly THIS and no more. Until we actually leave, and not just trigger article 50, no-one has any firm ideas what the Jeff will happen. It all seems so ‘okay’ now, because we’re all simply idling on regardless. Just as we would have been, regardless of a referendum or not.

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

@cody
    good news also if you are 1 of the 68% of Brits who own their own home.

64.8%, lower than most of Europe (and declining) is the figure I can find. Where’s the 68% come from? Also it sounds good, but context is as always everything.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Lifer from memory so perhaps your figure is more up to date. I’d be surprised if UK was lower than France / Germany as people often don’t buy until into their 30’s

If house prices had fallen it would have been a Brexit disaster, now they are rising (but less quickly) thats a Brexit disaster.

G20 / OECD / IMF all political organisations with huge vested interests in an EU which avoids a further recession if possible as well as political institutiions having a vested interest in other political institutions being well regarded/successful.

@tmh if the Japanese are so damn economically smart how come their economy has stagnated for 25 years and in some areas property fell 80% and never recovered. Their banks once global players of real stature are still weighed under by low asset quality.

Much of the rest of the world sees the dent crises in Greece and its contagion to Spain and Italy, they see the rise of Front Nationale and AfD. They see scooe (inevitable imo) for a very deep European recession and they are nervous that the UK won’t be propping up the dysfunctional EU for much longer

The press are in Brexit doom and gloom clickbait heaven, the stats tell a different story.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

@tmh if the Japanese are so damn economically smart how come their economy has stagnated for 25 years and in some areas property fell 80% and never recovered. Their banks once global players of real stature are still weighed under by low asset quality.

Simple, they have experienced a balance sheet recession. We are experiencing broadly the same but are failing to learn from their experience – the arrogance of the West. Some here are foolhardy enough to pretend that our woes are related to our relationship with the EU. Bizarre nonsense

The press are in Brexit doom and gloom clickbait heaven, the stats tell a different story.

No they don’t. As ^ there is not story yet. Yes we have an immediate impact but that is largely irrelevant. More importantly (they can see) that we are pi$$ing away an excellent structure for engaging with one of the world’s most important trading zones.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yep, lower than France.

Only Germany, Denmark and Austria below us.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,681 through 9,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.