Viewing 40 posts - 9,041 through 9,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Why did no one have a full working plan in order?

Because nobody expected Leave to win.

So it was all ok then? Is it all ok now?

<Checks out window> Sky is still where its supposed to be, no plumes of smoke evident… In my lifetime I’ve heard nothing but constant predictions of imminent disaster via everything from bird flu to nuclear war, amazingly we’re still here, as no doubt most of us will be tomorrow…

molgrips
    Free Member

Sky is still where its supposed to be, no plumes of smoke evident

That’s not really what I asked, is it?

I mean of course there are no major natural disasters and that, but that’s not really the issue at stake is it? You’re diverting attention from the actual problems by being facetious.

The economy, UK businesses, our jobs – is that all ok now, is that what you’re saying?

ninfan
    Free Member

The economy, UK businesses, our jobs – is that all ok now, is that what you’re saying?

We’ll cope, we’ll pull through, we always do.

Thats what makes Britain Great.

igm

Sorry the “great” bit is so it’s not confused with Brittany.

And that’s the only actual fact you’re likely to get in this discussion.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ll cope?

Who’s WE?

This kind of vague waffle really pisses me off. Sure, the economy will probably only shrink by some percents, the country will continue, but that’s not the real story is it?

How many people’s lives will be bollocksed up, and for how long? That’s the headline issue. The GDP figure is only important because it indicates how shit things will get for the vulnerable. A 5% drop in GDP doesn’t mean everyone is simply 5% worse off.

codybrennan
    Free Member

<Checks out window>. In my lifetime I’ve heard nothing but constant predictions of imminent disaster via everything from bird flu to nuclear war, amazingly we’re still here, as no doubt most of us will be tomorrow…

And many of these were from those who were predicting loss of sovereignty, a massive EU financial collapse, and sundry other dire consequences of remaining in.

Why didn’t you choose to ignore those too?

pondo

Now stop whinging like a p***y and crack on making the best of it – like we (as in we as a nation) always have done.

The phrase the Remain campaign should have used…

MSP

Just more typical jingoistic bollocks from a brexiter, no ideas and no clue. Well done for dragging the country down to your level of idiocy.

Daffy

Let’s be 100% clear, the FTSE isn’t doing well, in real terms, the FTSE is down almost 9% on where it was 2 weeks ago.

ninfan
    Free Member

Well done for dragging the country down to your level of idiocy.

If you recall, some days ago I suggested that a great many leave voters would be quite happy to steer this whole thing into the ground just to hear the screams of terror from the the bourgeoisie who have run their lives for so long

are you scared yet?

footflaps

. Well done for dragging the country down to your level of idiocy.

It’s got a way to go yet to get that low!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

More depressing reading..

Well if it’s depressing reading you’re after you’ve certainly looked in the right place. I invariably get depressed if I foolishly read the first few sentences of an article in the Guardian’s Comment Section.

The Guardian letters pages tend to cheer me up though – there’s usually a fair few letters from readers who roundly denounce pseudo-lefty defeatist liberal claptrap.

footflaps

Well if it’s depressing reading you’re after you’ve certainly looked in the right place.

You are of course right, we should all be reading the Daily Mail / Telegraph and rejoicing in the new found Greatness of our Whites only Isle post Brexit…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cloudnine deja-vu, a few pages back

@igm ftse 100 is up partly as many companies in it have significant amounts of their earnings outside the UK, so a weaker £ means higher profits means higher share price

Once agin folks Osbourne floated the idea of lower corporation tax, as he took a total beating personally in the campaign I wouldn’t trust his motives at a time when Tories have not elected a new PM yet and he has little idea what his role would be

jambalaya
    Free Member

Whites only Isle post Brexit…..

There will be far more non-whites post Brexit when we ditch the racsist immigration policy that is “freedom” of movement and move to best-person-for-the-job

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. still unsure as to how this hiring will work after brexit.

Surely if you advertise for a job, you’d have to advertise all over the world, and I reckon applicants would be limited to those who wanted to emigrate long term.

Now, if you advertise for a job in say London, you automatically get all the people who’ve come over and are just looking. Or who’ve left one job and are starting another. In say the US, your visa would be tied to your job – so leave the job, leave the country. You can’t necessarily simply switch jobs.

Point is – even with visa based immigration, hiring is far less flexible. I think we’ll get far fewer foreign workers post brexit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All good questions, ones other countries have worked out. Not least Oz whomtook double the (official) number of immigrants as did the UK last year

say the US, your visa would be tied to your job – so leave the job, leave the country. You can’t necessarily simply switch jobs.

Different visa types available, those tied to one company or flexible letting you move jobs

molgrips
    Free Member

ones other countries have worked out. Not least Oz whomtook double the (official) number of immigrants as did the UK last year

I don’t think you quite understand my point.

It’s not the simple numbers of immigrants. It’s how employers find the employee they need.

Different visa types available, those tied to one company or flexible letting you move jobs

How do you get one of these?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

You are of course right, we should all be reading the Daily Mail / Telegraph

Well I think you’ll find plenty of depressing news in the Daily Mail so I wouldn’t recommend reading that if want cheering up.

BTW I have no idea what you mean by the “Greatness of our Whites only Isle post Brexit”, our non-white British citizens have nothing to do with the EU. Was it a cack-handed attempt to call me a racist?

mefty
    Free Member

It’s not the simple numbers of immigrants. It’s how employers find the employee they need.

There is this thing that seems to have caught on which enables people all over the world to communicate – its called something like the Global Interweb or something similar.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

At some point the powers that be will work out its easier to cook up a deal that pleases most of the 48% and a decent number of the 52% than it is to work something out to please the 52%.

I wonder what happens then?

Be worried, a **** like me regularly worms his way into the advisers bar at Westminster. Word on the grapevine is that a lot of politicians are worried about what could effectively amount to a brownshirt revolution – and really actually mean to appeal to the racist brigade to placate them. There is no way in hell that we will be staying in the single market.

igm

Are you telling me that the word in the lobbies is that Westminster now thinks the UK is so racist that it’ll threaten the stability of the country?

And if that is the case that appeasement is the answer?

I don’t think skin colour is going to matter much in that scenario if you’re foreign. Or even if you’re not. Racists can forget about discrimination when they are dealing out trouble.

But let us hope it doesn’t get there.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is this thing that seems to have caught on which enables people all over the world to communicate – its called something like the Global Interweb or something similar

Hehehehe good one!

mefty
    Free Member

A letter from a grown up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he raises a good point

However when nothing materialises from this change they may well ask what democracy has to offer them etc
    Personally I think the only viable option is to negotiate with Brussels and put the offer to the people as to whether to accept it or not.

I dont think that is all that great either. However the closeness of the vote means there is little much required for a reversal of the vote.

To just ignore it is undemocratic to have another votes smacks of having votes till we get the result that we want

However what was promised on exit clearly cannot be delivered on so they voted for a big pile of BS . That is why we have this shitty mess

I do think some remainders are not taking the result at well. I feel their pain but the people, stupid racist moronic, informed, wise whatever have spoken, We cannot just ignore because we don’t like the result or them. Leavers have to accept some folk voted for something that was never going to happen, They were tricked , The NHS wont be saved, we wont save that, we wont stop free movement, we won’t get to both leave and stay in the EU etc. We leave and things will be worse. Less red tape meant cutting business tax and reducing workers rights.

Its a shitty mess but whatever solution we do it cannot involve just ignoring the vote nor pretending it never happened.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

personally in favour of lower corporation tax – well done George. Keep at it.

Jambas, why are you complaining? Obvious that exiting EU makes tax harmonisation more difficult and tax competion between jurisdictions more likely. I said a much during the debates. Plus Osborne also is thinking about the potential damage to inward investment that the stupid vote may/has inflicted.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Be worried, a **** like me regularly worms his way into the advisers bar at Westminster. Word on the grapevine is that a lot of politicians are worried about what could effectively amount to a brownshirt revolution – and really actually mean to appeal to the racist brigade to placate them.

Don’t see it myself, the leave vote was from the left and right with plenty of immigrant communities voting for leave. At the biggest movement for leave which can mobilise people on the street is of the left.

The racists who suddenly have decided they have the freedom to abuse will eventually disappear back under their rock as the community reactions don’t support their narrative/ views and action taken against those where possible

Finally there isn’t a charismatic far right politician for these “brown shirts” to coalesce around if they could mobilise as demonstrated by the EDL etc

Lifer
    Free Member

Not so grown up that he couldn’t restrain from a bullshit dig at students and ‘the Labour left’

mrlebowski
    Free Member

+1 JY.

Nail on the head..

igm

Mefty – Odd that he doesn’t understand what the vote was – advice to parliament – given his stated profession.

He also got his job title wrong according to the KCL website.

Vernon Bogdanor CBE, FBA is Research Professor at the Institute for Contemporary British History. He was formerly Professor of Government at Oxford University

Distinguished man, assuming he wrote the letter, but something is not quite right.

Actually a strangely similar CV to my father – also a member of the Royal Academy and a professor until his retirement. His view was – daft way to run a referendum, they should disregard a vote that is that close.

Lifer
    Free Member

People have had enough of experts?

mefty
    Free Member

Odd that he doesn’t understand what the vote was – advice to parliament – given his stated profession

That is a legalistic approach – Cameron said it was a final vote – that is the political reality – he is a professor of politics – used to be at Oxford where he taught politics on the PPE course.

The newspaper may have put the title in. He is very well known as he is used by the BBC extensively.

EDIT: Royal Academy – i think you mean something else the RA is for artists as in the fine arts.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its a shitty mess but whatever solution we do it cannot involve just ignoring the vote nor pretending it never happened.

Clearly. However that doesn’t necessarily mean pulling the plug either.

People have had enough of experts?

Hah.. yes.. if leavers can ignore experts, so can we 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A letter from a grown up.

It might well be a letter from a grown-up, he doesn’t mention his age, but if so he proves that even grown-ups don’t always know what they are talking about.

Firstly I would suggest that antisemitism is “more likely” to be found among BNP members and Stormfront users in Sunderland and Hartlepool than among university students. Yeah, yeah, I know…….anyone who criticises Israel is antisemitic.

And secondly, “Were they to succeed, the poorer members of the community might well begin to ask whether democracy has anything at all to offer them; that would indeed be a very dangerous development”.

Vernon Bogdanor needs to check the details of the referendum results if he wants to comment on them. If he did he would notice that some of the most prosperous areas of the UK, including the English shires, voted to Leave. The neighbouring borough to mine, Sutton, which is one of the more affluent boroughs in London voted to Leave.

He could look at this map to help him :

And he would perhaps then conclude that also some of the wealthiest members of our community might well begin to ask whether democracy has anything at all to offer them; that would indeed be a very dangerous development.

I think the professor of government is talking through his arse, although I agree with the general point which he is making very badly. Just my opinion mind.

mefty
    Free Member

There is some evidence that a lot of people came out to vote, and vote leave, who don’t normally – enough to swing the vote – they are assumed to be the disenfranchised poor – as I am sure you are aware these are people JC needs to bring out again.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Wales wouldn’t vote for independence even if it meant the country could stay in the EU as the rest of the UK left shocker”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There is some evidence that a lot of people came out to vote, and vote leave, who don’t normally – enough to swing the vote – they are assumed to be the disenfranchised poor – as I am sure you are aware these are people JC needs to bring out again.

Because of course prosperous voters who always vote wouldn’t be bothered if the referendum result was ignored.

Them disenfranchised poor are always causing trouble if they don’t get what they want.

igm

Mefty- sorry, very late for me. British Academy, not Royal Academy. And by member I meant Fellow. And it was Political Science that my father was a professor of. So my point although incredibly badly made was there somewhere underneath the mistakes.

Or in other words, I knew what I meant even if I gloriously failed to say it.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,041 through 9,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.