Viewing 40 posts - 8,841 through 8,880 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

As it’s not really working out for the rest of the world I’m not sure it’s a likely outcome.

I think you’ll find the next US government is going to address this too. 60% of Apple’s global profits go throigh Ireland where they are taxed at 1% – that’s criminal.

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I can tell something like £50bn a year ish comes from corporation tax receipts. So we’d be losing £12bn ish. which is extremely roughly £200-250m a week we’d be out of pocket.

First Brexiter to counter this by mentioning future investment gets a slap.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its the government’s job to have a plan.

The government had a plan! It was to remain in the **** EU!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

The government set out exactly what they thought brexit would look like before the vote, now it’s their job to implement that vision and bring about economic catrastophe.

colp

The massive corporations seem to pretty much choose what corp tax they pay, a cut would benefit smaller firms maybe allowing more investment, wages rises etc.
    It’s funny when you talk to Brexiters, actually getting one to acknowledge the reality of where we are and admit it might be a mistake is virtually impossible. I think it’s because in general they’re “a bit thick”.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the next US government is going to address this too. 60% of Apple’s global profits go throigh Ireland where they are taxed at 1% – that’s criminal.

Are you scratching your crystal balls again? Which government they start their election in November, and also require a cooperative congress to pass anything.

It also might not be criminal, perfectly legal just not moral but in many ways it requires more cooperation not less to get tax reform

br
    Free Member

The massive corporations seem to pretty much choose what corp tax they pay, a cut would benefit smaller firms maybe allowing more investment, wages rises etc.

+1 It’ll be the UK-based SME’s that will benefit and those business that have predominately UK-based income. It may also bring back some head quarters, but only ‘letter-box’ ones, probably few jobs.

Whether it will provide an increase in the total tax take, no idea.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas – you have been arguing that the EU was the cause or at least a contributor towards corporate tax avoidance.

And yet, a few days after Brexit we are competing on tax and of course this was a big part of yS’s plans for an independent Scotland.

I think you case has been unproven.

rone

think you’ll find the next US government is going to address this too. 60% of Apple’s global profits go throigh Ireland where they are taxed at 1% – that’s criminal.

I thought Ireland’s corp tax was 12.5%

Don’t be confused as tax percentage on earnings.

Besides the commission are leaning on them.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I have a feeling you remainers are worrying over nothing. My conspiracy theory mind has been doing overtime and I have come to the conclusion that Theresa May was setup to be the next PM in the event of an exit vote. Given she was a quiet remain voter effectively means she can come in and do the brexit voters over and cosy back up to the EU dictators.

It’s just all to coincidental that the leave camp do not have a credible candidate and Cameron knew when he resigned that May would be the next tory PM.

I am hoping I will be proven wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that is what is going to happen.

footflaps

I have a feeling you remainers are worrying over nothing

Nope, this pretty much sums up what we’re in for now….

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/04/disaster-capitalism-tory-right-brexit-roll-back-state

mefty
    Free Member

We always where with and with Luxembourg too. If we exit the EU we have a chance to fight back. Maybe we can make it a requirement that Apple, Google, Facebook, Starbucks are legally domiciled and taxed here in the UK.

It would also conflict with our international tax treaty obligations which as I have stated ad nauseam* would still be in place.

* you seem incapable of gaining even a scintilla of an understanding of how international tax works hence the need to continually repeat.

igm

Jamba would vote for that I think footflaps

binners

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

George set the ball rolling this morning

molgrips
    Free Member

Given she was a quiet remain voter effectively means she can come in and do the brexit voters over and cosy back up to the EU dictators.

Didn’t she say she’d trigger A50 though?

footflaps

Jamba would vote for that I think footflaps

Sadly yes, but I don’t think the rest of the 52% realise quite what they have unleashed…

Esp the poor and disenfranchised who have just voted to be kicked in the nuts with an even bigger boot..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have a feeling you remainers are worrying over nothing. My conspiracy theory mind has been doing overtime and I have come to the conclusion that Theresa May was setup to be the next PM in the event of an exit vote. Given she was a quiet remain voter effectively means she can come in and do the brexit voters over and cosy back up to the EU dictators.

It’s just all to coincidental that the leave camp do not have a credible candidate and Cameron knew when he resigned that May would be the next tory PM.

I am hoping I will be proven wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that is what is going to happen.

The problem with conspiracy theories is that they credit governments/politicians with a level of skill and control that they are incapable of fulfilling.

This is just a simple unprepared bit of a mess

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Esp the poor and disenfranchised who have just voted to be kicked in the nuts with an even bigger boot..

They were warned.

footflaps

They were warned

🙂

To be fair if there was some way only the 52% suffered and the other 48% were unaffected, I’d be quite happy with it….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

crazy-legs

I don’t think they’d even got that far.
    I think Cameron hoped we’d have a nice quiet referendum where no-one really gave a shit, Remain would win by a country mile, then he could appease the hard-right/UKIP defectors within his party, tell them all was well with the world and get back to screwing the NHS.

I don’t think even he thought that it would take on an unholy life of it’s own with his supposed mate Boris openly fighting him.

It’s the worst possible outcome of all of it. A very finely balanced Leave/Remain, both major parties in complete meltdown, catastrophic economic fallout already (apart from the big investors who’ve done very well out of trading currency thank you very much) and now they’re all just walking off as though nothing had happened.

Seriously, none of them have even the faintest **** clue what to do to resolve this!

Cameron should have stayed in power, offered a month or so of “reflection”, of analysis, settling down (and waiting for Farage to bugger off thinking he’d achieved his goal) and then said that the referendum was non-binding and he’d be ignoring it.

That would trigger it’s own power struggle within the Tory party but at least we’d not be left with the complete total shitpile of uncertainty we have now. 52% of the country would be pissed off about it but they were already so pissed off with the Government that they ignored every single bit of advice coming from every single expert around and voted against it – it (mostly) wasn’t a protest vote against the EU, it was a protest vote against the Government.

The problem is with Cameron that he’s spent so long lying to everyone that on the one occasion he told the truth, no-one listened.

binners

pretty difficult to argue with that analysis crazy-legs.

The trouble is that now the right wing of the Tory party (The Bill Cashes and John Redwoods) will take this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (cheers to the utterly ****ing useless Labour party!) to dismantle the welfare state, privatise the NHS, abolish workers rights.

They’re going to make Dave and George, with their austerity program look like santa and the tooth fairy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pretty difficult to argue with that analysis crazy-legs.

The only problem after that is trying to appease all the people who thought they were getting everything….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Theresa May is a Tory shocker”

Theresa May’s voting record is very much what you would expect it to be for a Tory politician, it’s certainly not very different to David Cameron’s voting record.

David Cameron opposed repeal of Section 28, he voted against gay couples adopting, and he opposed giving lesbians the right to VF treatment.

Theresa May supported civil partnerships and it was her who pushed that same-sex marriage should be in the Tory 2010 election manifesto.

Theresa May’s position on gay issues has been in line with Tory policy, she has followed the Tory whip, as you expect a senior Tory politician to do.

Although if you want to judge the candidates in the Tory leadership contest solely on their commitment to gay rights then Michael Gove is probably your man.

aracer
    Free Member

You have to bear in mind who her current electorate are. Of course she has to avoid getting complacent because it certainly wouldn’t be impossible for her not to finish in the top 2 of the MPs’ vote, but realistically she is currently appealing to the ordinary members of the Tory party. I don’t think they’ve been polled, but given the way Tory voters voted in the referendum you’d have to assume a majority in favour of Leave.

Maybe she is telling the truth, but it would be a fairly unusual position regarding leaving the EU.

footflaps

she is currently appealing to the ordinary members of the Tory party

Hence the photo op of her biting the head of a new born (poor) baby and hunting homeless people in Newark…

nedrapier

Her leadership bid statement basically said: Leaving, leaving, definitely leaving. But. Until we’ve agreed on a coherent negotiating strategy we won’t be going anywhere near the Article 50 button.

Plenty of scope to end up saying in 9 months’ time that they’ve had a really good look into this, had a proper think and there is no coherent exit strategy that will give anything like what the various leave campaigns promised without making sacrifices that would, on balance, be unacceptably detrimental to the economy of the UK, and the lives of the majority of people living here.

footflaps

Until we’ve agreed on a coherent negotiating strategy we won’t be going anywhere near the Article 50 button.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JmQKGN]Untitled[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Inbred456
    Free Member

Early days yet but it appears that Merkel is distancing herself a bit from Junker and Tusk with regards to trade talks. We are simply too big a market for both France and Germany to Sh@ft us as much as Junker and co would like.

thecaptain
    Free Member

No need for any shafting, just applying the normal rules leaves us no better off (arguably, worse, as we lose our voice in the EU).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Like already exists? I’m a Brit living in Oz, voted in the referendum, voted in GEs, and can for 15 years since date of departure from the UK.

No @zokes like exists in those countries where there is no time limit

@Inbred yes agreed. She has an election to win and Germany losing preferential access to it’s third largest car market is not a vote winner.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TMH not sure how Osbourne is allowed to make such a statement ahead of a leadership election, its up to the new leadsr and his/her Chancellor to determine bidget etc. Personally I think he’s sh.t stirring

@Rond no Apple doesn’t even pay Irish Corp tax, they have other elaborate and government approved swerves

🙂 However, it is generally prudent to have a plan for more than just your preferred outcome.

ninfan
    Free Member

the poor and disenfranchised who have just voted to be kicked in the nuts with an even bigger boot..

Rightly or wrongly, they feel they’ve got nothing to lose:

[video]http://vimeo.com/172932182[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Let’s be really clear Osbourne is making a proposal on corporation tax, it has no policy weight particualry as its not clear he will even be Chancellor under the new PM

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ninfan indeed, those Remainers here don’t seem able to understand these people’s logic. They don’t care about what’s on the side of a bus. Many Remainers here could not appreciate theirs was the establishment campaign and that the grass roots anti-establishment vote was Leave.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m confused Jamba, THM – how come corporation tax cuts are now being portrayed as some sort of ultra right wing conspiracy? wasn’t cutting corporation tax to stimulate business one of the key pledges of Alex Salmond and the SNP during the indyref?

Inbred456
    Free Member

TheCaptain normal trade rules may not apply in this case. I think Germany is very worried that it may lose more than it gains by imposing tariffs. Tariffs work both ways and we like our German goods but if we think our BMW’s and Audi’s are going to cost us more because of punitive measures by Brussels we could easily go for Jags and Lexus. There is more to this and certainly I think we may be surprised as to the direction that the negotiations go. Early days.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There won’t be tariffs, there will be a single market with free movement of labour, though there may be some token restriction on immigration.

Anyway, Standard Life just shut off sales in their property fund. I doubt they will be the last. Surprised it took so long, to be honest.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Interesting piece on C4 news just now – Lloyds of London aren’t waiting for the politicians.

Viewing 40 posts - 8,841 through 8,880 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.