Viewing 40 posts - 45,961 through 46,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Cougar

cornholio98
    Free Member

Peaceful protest is all good and well but the most memorable demonstration of displeasure that actually resulted in a change was the poll tax riots. Mind you I don’t remember many protests after that until the second iraq mess but I would be happy to learn more.

as has been said if a million people marching did not stop Tony going to war what hope do a few thousand against the rabids…

Cougar

I can’t quite believe that I just read that.

cornholio98
    Free Member

The fact I can not remember protests really changing government policy?

there are only a few I can remember (or paid attention to) in recent years

poll tax

student fees protests

Iraq war

Only one brought down a government (a contributing factor plus an unpopular policy and the party also wanting change)… that being said I would not advocate violent protest but just standing in a square seems to do nothing.

Just an opinion and I would be more than happy to be proved wrong

belfastflyer
    Free Member

This must be the only protest march that w€€k stain Corbin isn’t all over like a cheap suit.

Wish I could have attended myself waving british passport with an EU flag sticker on it. Don’t think it’ll make one ounce of a difference sadly.

athgray
    Free Member

This must be the only protest march that w€€k stain Corbin isn’t all over like a cheap suit.

I think he is opening a refugee camp in Lebanon or something, so he dodged a bullet there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@cornholio ,well over 400k on the Countryside March in 2002 as well.

ninfan
    Free Member

@cornholio ,well over 400k on the Countryside March in 2002 as well.

Shh Flashy – we’re not supposed to point out how the educated, pro-european metropolitan elite & STW bourgeoisie happily pointed the finger and jeered all the way while other peoples culture, identity and jobs were under attack.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s OK ninfan we can discuss things like grown ups, got any further than leave the EU as a plan? Or were you busy on the Brexie march?

ninfan
    Free Member

got any further than leave the EU as a plan?

1. <b>Denial</b> – The first reaction is denial. In this stage, individuals believe the diagnosis is somehow mistaken, and cling to a false, preferable reality.
    2. <b>Anger</b> – When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated, especially at proximate individuals. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: “Why me? It’s not fair!”; “How can this happen to me?”; “Who is to blame?”; “Why would this happen?”.
    3. <b>Bargaining</b> – The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek compromise. For instance: “I’d give anything to have him back.” Or: “If only he’d come back to life, I’d promise to be a better person!”
    4. <b>Depression</b> – “I’m so sad, why bother with anything?”; “I’m going to die soon, so what’s the point?”; “I miss my loved one; why go on?”
      During the fourth stage, the individual despairs at the recognition of their mortality. In this state, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time mournful and sullen.
    5. <b>Acceptance</b> – “It’s going to be okay.”; “I can’t fight it; I may as well prepare for it.”
      In this last stage, individuals embrace mortality or inevitable future, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event. People dying may precede the survivors in this state, which typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable condition of emotions.

Let me know when you’ve reached stage five and we’ll talk about future plans.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Well if Wikipedia is to be believed the countryside alliance aims were to improve services in the country and tried to protect local businesses.

That sounds all good If you ignore the promotion of fox hunting and deer stalking as well as their support from the BNP.

still didn’t change anything. There is no fox hunting and only people can choose to shop locally supermarkets cannot be forced to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let me know when you’ve reached stage five and we’ll talk about future plans.

Ah your still in the jump first then find the parachute plan….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

their support from the BNP

Which was roundly condemned and unwelcome.

Bit like this, really,

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2018/04/nick-griffin-declares-his-support-jeremy-corbyn

There is no fox hunting

O……K.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

U ok Flasheart Hun?

This all a bit elevated for you isn’t it?

meanwhile, I see Zulu’s shitting his pants agin. Always fun to see. 😂

igm

I think ninfan is still in stage 1 Denial.

😜

igm

Just playing with the illogical extremes of this thing.

Given how much of UK trade with non-EU countries is through EU trade deals that would cease with a hard Brexit, how much of the UK’s world trade do you think the rEU might stand to gain via a hard Brexit?

I’m just wondering if financially a hard Brexit might work for the EU – assuming they get the £40bn or so either way.

mrmo
    Free Member

So ninfan, how do you PERSONALLY benefit from brexit? What has the EU done that has PERSONALLY impinged on you?

kimbers

The rest of the EU , especially the ports in Holland, Norway, France which account for the vast majority of our trade by sea (& Ireland) are all preparing extra customs infrastructure in event of a no deal. And warning manufacturers to find alternate supply lines.

Our government are putting out the message of ‘stay calm, everything will be fine’ at the same time waving around the threat of ‘no deal’

No wonder businesses like airbus, BMW etc are shitting it.

No deal would be a huge blow to the EU, but I think they see-

the shambles in government,

Theyve seen how weak May is, theyve spoken to her face to face & found her just as robotic & unimaginative as she’s caricatured.

Sitting opposite Davis at the talks theyve stared into that brandy sozzled vacuum of original thought

They’ve just seen the saner members of the Tory party cave for the sake of party unity

& those Brexiters who put idealogy above everything else; Europe, party, country or the citizens of the UK, have shown the opposite.

I think the EU will risk a no deal, now that they’ve seen that the wreckers have the upper hand & that a decent trade deal would be taken up initially, & used as a springboard by those same far right brexies slowly implementing their low tax, deregulated, fantasyland.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly Zulu has no idea, he just likes to parrot the usual crap but can’t really say what he wants, it’s probably too complicated for him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

far right brexies

https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/most-labour-mps-represent-a-constituency-that-voted-leave-36f13210f5c6

Roughly two thirds of parliamentary constituencies represented by Labour MPs voted to leave the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38769838

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow Flasheart, you’re getting right in. You sure you can manage this level of discourse?

cornholio98
    Free Member

It is not a surprise that areas that are traditionally Labour may feel excluded from the then government so a vote against David Cameron and the establishment is always likely. Plus if you have seen manufacturing and the like moving away and someone says vote for me and I will bring all the jobs back the you do that too.

worked for the leave campaign worked for Trump.

trouble is the reasonable approach to the result to reform was ignored by Westminster and we are where we are

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Want to see how voting trump helped people

It’s about there with the he lied to us bit of modern reactionary politics, maybe it’s the internet that has saved us

kimbers

Yeah labours problem (I suppose its because of their hi number of inner city MPs?) same proportion of labour members overall voted remain as constituencies voted leave.

Polls show that bregret is increasing, much more so among labour voters but still not huge swing, what is increasing across all voters is dissatisfaction with how the government are handling things

basically labour have a brexit identity crisis

sorry for the OT but this episode of Atlanta episode 7 is sill on iplayer & you should all watch it !!

kelvin

1. Denial – we don’t need a plan, this is so easy it’ll all be over before the ink would get a chance to dry

2. Anger – we have a plan, and we’re furious that you want to know what it is… to know it is to undermine it

3. Bargaining – we’re having another lock down at Checkers, to thrash out many contradictory plans amongst our elite few

4. Depression – we’d have a plan already, but those pesky Remainers are everywhere, undermining us

5. Acceptance – there never was a plan, but who cares… will of the… blah blah… sore losers… sod Ireland… sod you all

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Ninfan trotting out the 5 stage GCSE level analysis is frankly over simplification, if you work in health which I think you do this simply does not apply to all equally.

To quote John Lydon ” Anger is an energy”  and personally I have never got past stage 2 in respect to anything including my health and Brexit.

For me stage 5 is giving up….. well anything beyond stage 2 actually.

I like being angry it suits me….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 5 stages of grief make a lot of sense, as for change it also does but as usual it is being misappropriated by people who cannot change peoples opinions by rational means

BoardinBob

I’m guessing that when the dust settles, the Tory and Labour party, in their current form, will no longer exist.

Whatever happens, it will tear both parties apart. Look back through history and you’ll see parties that dominated UK politics yet don’t exist nowadays in the way they did back then, or at all.

I suspect this may be the only silver lining from the whole shit show.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

No the real silver lining is when the great unwashed (I am part of this group) realise they have been really and I mean really shafted by the Boris Davis Fox Mogg brigade.

Maybe then they will get some political understanding.

kelvin

Both parties have successfully transformed themselves and their policies to stay “relevant” (in power or ready to be in power) many times over the decades. They consume and push aside any third force or smaller party with ease. Most notably on Europe and racism. Both parties will stay the main forces in party politics… but likely that, for most of your life, neither will be a party you really trust or want to vote for.

BoardinBob

Both parties have successfully transformed themselves and their policies to stay “relevant” (in power or ready to be in power) many times over the decades. They consume and push aside any third force or smaller party with ease. Most notably on Europe and racism. Both parties will stay the main forces in party politics… but likely that, for most of your life, neither will be a party you really trust or want to vote for

We’re so apathetic here.

I remarked to my mate the other night that if this was happening in France, there would be another revolution.

We put up with any old shit

We deserve all we get really😢

kimbers

kerley
    Free Member

So ninfan, how do you PERSONALLY benefit from brexit? What has the EU done that has PERSONALLY impinged on you?

I think the real answer is there will be less immigrants so that will make him feel better.  Has no impact and he wouldn’t even notice the lower number but he would feel better just knowing it.

Think that is the same for a lot of people that voted Brexit as when asking them they can never give any specifics.

fifo
    Free Member

Think that is the same for a lot of people that voted Brexit as when asking them they can never give any specifics.

It’s worse than that – often they give specifics that will be greatly exacerbated to differing extents depending upon the nature of our departure and the trade deals that may be signed in desperation thereafter

Pigface
    Free Member

No one has told me what soveiignity means

zippykona

In my opinion we’ve not had sovereignty since Suez.

The ” Special Relationship”.

Uncle Sam stifled The Lion’s Roar.

AD

Good old Hunt – apparently ‘threats by business’ are inappropriate (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44593095). You couldn’t make this up!

athgray
    Free Member

No one has told me what soveiignity means

It’s fairly clear, it means ‘taking back control!!!??!?’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Basically the message is we are screwed but to be a bit less screwed we need to appear to all really want this shit show and prove to the EU we are completely suicidal and ready to crash and burn in an attempt to achieve mediocrity.

dudeofdoom

No wonder businesses like airbus, BMW etc are shitting it.

Nah they aren’t, it’s only business,if being in the U.K. doesn’t bring value to brand or just gives them headaches they’ll relocate.

UK Gov had 2 years to come up with something solid , businesses  dont like uncertainty 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 45,961 through 46,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.