Viewing 40 posts - 44,961 through 45,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • airtragic
    Free Member

I initially thought that image was doctored and that it didn’t look good for the BBC, but looking again I <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>think</span> it’s an illusion caused by the horizontal line in the “Russian” picture that intersects just below the crown of the hat? The individual lines on the outline all look the same to me.

kimbers

Gove & Davidson both insisted leaving CFP during transition was a ‘red line’ less than a aweek ago!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

We have been here before good people of brextannia, don’t you worry the Rees Mogg desire for a de industrialised Britain where our tariff free goods will be so cheap you can easily afford a new pair of shoes for the kids out of your benefits/minimum wage.

Tariff free industrial chicken for the masses made in the US of A and our Farmers will sell their mega expensive free range lamb to India by the ship load…(not sure what the Fishing fleet is going to do as that’s actually covered by another law but I am sure it’s going to be great)

Just think how far that £ will go! and an Aldi and Lidl on every corner, you won’t need an expensive German car you can just walk for your shopping.

Just like the 1950s….

They (current govt) are morons but actually I am enjoying the freak show. The bit I am looking forward to the most is when the poor people transition to piss poor people…. for me i shall simply transition  from well off to moderately well off (like a lot of people on here) however the Rees Moggs of the world will be able to spread their wealth and increase it exponentially.

It’s a brave new world…. makes you think of Sir Francis Drake plundering the globe “pirates of the free trade deal”

zokes
    Free Member

well engaging with the troll worked just as well as usual – the strangest thing is how proud and pleased he is with himself to type such utter drivel/ lies.

It’s like the naughty kid at school. Knows full well the attention they’ll get is going to be bad, but it’s attention so they want it anyway.

ninfan
    Free Member

Tariff free industrial chicken for the masses made in the US of A

Yep, I’d much prefer to stick with good old European food scandals like Horsemeat burgers and pesticide contaminated eggs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So you want way more food problems that we have no chance of influencing or rectifying?

Good choice there

oldnpastit

I’m with Ninfan on this. I think importing lots of cheap food from America is a great idea. It will put countless farmers out of business which will:

– give them time to think about whether Brexit was such a good idea after all

– means I can buy a nice second home in the country side for a knock-down price

– means I can have delicious beef grown in a massive barn spewing out effluent into the surrounding countryside rather than the annoying tough stringy stuff we grow here that’s been raised outside in a “field”.

Seems like a win all round.

mattyfez

Yep, I’d much prefer to stick with good old European food scandals like Horsemeat burgers and pesticide contaminated eggs.

So bad things can occasionally happen in a heavily regulated market now and then, just imagine how many more new, and more interesting diabolical things can be free to happen if we deregulated from EU standards!

And no one will want to buy anything from us either as we’ll be peddling known untrustworthy products.

Yey!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– give them time to think about whether Brexit was such a good idea after all

Not all farmers voted brexit

Also if your eating stringy crap beef then you need to shop better or cook better

zokes
    Free Member

…and I suspect the latter

Edukator
    Free Member

Well I laughed, Oldnpastit.

cchris2lou

I don’t think Leave voters are.

welshfarmer

Is this why our tax dodgers are so desperate to leave the EU single market?

I have been saying this since about the 3rd page of this thread. Worth a read, if only for the comments afterwards. 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

That article is poppycock, the UK has already implemented everything required by the directive and in a number of areas we acted unilaterally years before the directive was even a gleam in the EU’s eye.  We have been one of the main pushers of this initiative.

Likewise the EU has just announced a disclosure regime for tax schemes, we have had one for over 10 years.

cchris2lou

so funny :

Junkyard
    Free Member

That article is poppycock, the UK has already implemented everything required by the directive

Why do we oppose it if we are already doing it and leading the way ?

That you would dismiss the facts is odd that you would make the claim that where we lead on tax avoidance others follow is  absurd and not a view facts can do anything other than refute.

FWIW i dont think this alone is why we want to leave.

mefty
    Free Member

We didnt oppose anyhting mentioned in the article linked by WF, indeed we funded the research by the OECD that developed many of the ideas and Cameron drove the International agreement when we were President of the G8

tjagain

the UK is the biggest centre of money laundering and tax evasion in the world along with its various dependencies and offshore havens and the tories have fought tooth and nail to prevent any real action to clamp down of tax avopidence.  Camerons fortune comes from tax avoidance / evasion.

they have talked the talk on it but refused to walk the walk, fought to make any measures toothless.

we are not fooled

ninfan
    Free Member

along with its various dependencies and offshore havens

For someone who has spent so many years banging on about self governance and independence for Scotland, you don’t appear to understand much about the concepts of legislative and judiciary autonomy do you?

kimbers

Are the swivel-eyed really getting upset about where their passports are made?

In with Schneider on this

MrWoppit
    Free Member

From today’s London ES:

“Fury as post-Brexit blue passports to be made by Franco-Dutch firm.”

Yeah, I can just see the meltdown at Schloss Farage and Reese-Mogg Towers now…

TiRed

Tom Peck in today’s Independent (i)

“The UK’s fishing industry, whose total contribution to the British economy is slightly smaller than that of the pet insurance sector, would have to toil under the EU’s Common Fisheries Policy for 19 long months more.”

Ouch!

sauce https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nigel-farage-brexit-fishing-protest-westminster-a8266651.html

Del

the passport thing sums it up doesn’t it?

the gov could have just said to the current supplier ‘change the colour will you mate?’. but no, there isn’t nearly enough to be getting on with in this whole debacle, so they have to go through a new procurement process, and because there are EU regs on spending like this, it has to be opened up to european businesses to bid as well as UK ones.

except it doesn’t.

the french have their passports made in france only, because they regard it as a security issue.

bloody europeans making us jump through hoops that actually we don’t have to jump through we’ve just chosen to. but you can be damn sure that farage and mogg will make a big hoohah about it all and white van man will believe it’s all europe’s fault. again.

sigh.

Edukator
    Free Member

You people do realise that chip cards were invented in France and French passport security technology systems really are as good as you get, don’t you. I have no problem with Airbus wings being made in Bristol, they’re rather good at it. You can’t be good at everything so don’t try to be. But if you are good at something don’t cut yourself off from potentioal buyers with paperwork, frontiers, tarifs, legal obstacles and bad will because several kms of water is already an obtacle and there’s no point turning la Manche into a wall.

Twodogs

the gov could have just said to the current supplier ‘change the colour will you mate?’. but no, there isn’t nearly enough to be getting on with in this whole debacle, so they have to go through a new procurement process, and because there are EU regs on spending like this, it has to be opened up to european businesses to bid as well as UK ones.

They won’t through the procurement process because the current contract is expiring.  They are bound to choose the Most Economically Advantageous Tender, under OJEU procurement rules.  When we leave, we’ll be bound by WTO procurement rules….which will still prevent us from favouring UK companies.

cchris2lou

surely they could just have extended it for 2 or 3 years .

ransos
    Free Member

They are bound to choose the Most Economically Advantageous Tender, under OJEU procurement rules.

They’re not, actually.

mattyfez

Let’s be honest, the UK could have cited ‘security issues’ and kept the passport manufacture at home, if that was important, or maybe outsourcing it for a £50mil saving was more importanter. Who knows.

What we do know is our government still has its head up its own backside.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, Simon Jenkins thinks we are going to get a pretty soft Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/22/brexit-britain-norway-theresa-may-transition-deal?CMP=fb_gu

Wishful thinking, or good insight?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Softer and softer until it melts away into nothing like the snow. Or perhaps a sticky mess like ice cream.

zippykona

I could accept a Norway. It keeps a rabid shouty Remainer like me happy while leaving the eu, which was the only question asked.

ninfan
    Free Member

the passport thing sums it up doesn’t it?

Seems to me that, just like the fishing, once again we have lots of remainders casting around telling us that brexiteers are “livid” “outraged” and “up in arms” over the passport decision, whereas in reality the brexiteers have shrugged their shoulders and said “who cares, it’s saved 50 million quid” in the belief that Danny La Rue should have sharpened their pencils a bit when bidding for the contract.

kelvin

“Remainders” like the Daily Mail?

Sorry for the Daily Mail cover

Yes, that measured response is exactly as you describe it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So back to the Brexit What Is It Good For?

kelvin

Absolutely nothing! Say it again!

– increased “red tape”

– worse trading arrangements with RoW

– less say over international rules and regulations

– more dependant on the good will of the political leaders of our EU neighbours

zippykona

Absolutely Nothing.

igm

I think we need a deep voiced “Huh” at this point.  Just before the “what is it good for?”

In other news, Armando Iannucci has confirmed that he is in the second year of a four year contract to write reality.

“Reality as satire is a fantastic art form and a wonderful opportunity. I’m just really pleased that god let me do this. Wait til you see what I have in line for the Brexies next”

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Brexit: what would Malcolm Tucker do?

dissonance

I could accept a Norway. It keeps a rabid shouty Remainer like me happy while leaving the eu, which was the only question asked.

I am not sure. Although it meets the normal definition of compromise by pissing everyone off it fails to address the underlying issues and so provides a stab in the back myth opportunity for those who will profit from the mess.

Viewing 40 posts - 44,961 through 45,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.