Viewing 40 posts - 44,881 through 44,920 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

illustrative of why LibDems seem to be stuck on 7%

Stop talking out of your arse.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Just highlights the deluded isolationism of Brexit

But whilst India still wants to get away with exploiting the British immigration system, Australia looks like it just wants streamlined access for buisness people. I worked at an Indian pharmaceutical company based in the UK, they employed  90 percent tier two visa or spouses of tier 2 visa workers. They employed them on the minimum needed to get them into the country, then worked them over 70 hours a week under the threat of sending them home. They blackmailed the workers into producing drugs that were a danger to the patient.

I am fine with increased Aussie immigration though. At the very least it would hopefully be reciprocal in terms of visa opportunities.

Northwind

“Edukator

Don’ forget that Jamba has expressed support for the French FN”

He defended literal nazis in America, murdering people

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am fine with increased Aussie immigration though. At the very least it would hopefully be reciprocal in terms of visa opportunities.

Quite a large number of Aussies can (until the axe falls) come to the EU due to having UK/EU relatives, makes a bit of sense trying to expand and maintain that. Given the Tories have consistently stated they want immigration down about the 10k level that is a very small number of reciprocal visa opportunities that would be available.

kimbers

I worked at an Indian pharmaceutical company based in the UK, they employed  90 percent tier two visa or spouses of tier 2 visa workers. They employed them on the minimum needed to get them into the country, then worked them over 70 hours a week under the threat of sending them home. They blackmailed the workers into producing drugs that were a danger to the patient.

Im assuming you reported this to the authorities!?!

thecaptain
    Free Member

30 billion divided by 70 million is over 400 quid for every person not 40. And 30 billion is a ridiculously small estimate.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re right I’m wrong. I should use a calculator rather than doing it in my head at my age. And even that wouldn’t help as I lost the zero before getting to the calculator

binners

In todays great, flag-waving Brexit news

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/15/unilever-brexit-rotterdam-hq-london

Unilever denies their decision to ditch their UK HQ and move it all to Rotterdam had anything to do with Brexit. Hmmmm….
    Image result

Well they would say that, wouldn’t they? Because if they don’t then the Daily Mail would have a patriotic hissy fit and its front page tomorrow would be calling for a boycott of Unilever products for them failing to believe in Empire 2.0. I expect this will be the start of the exodus of companies also saying it has nothing to do with Brexit, while sprinting towards the welcoming arms of the EU

But don’t worry Dippy Dave has said he could ‘live with’ a shorter transition period. Like he had a ****ing choice?! This is how it works Dave…. they tell you how its going to be. You nod, then say you can ‘live with’ that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/15/david-davis-says-he-could-live-with-shorter-brexit-transition-period

Edukator
    Free Member

” The Netherlands offers better protection against hostile corporate takeovers than the UK.”

is another way of saying we need the protection of EU anti-trust laws and there is no guarantee that the UK will provide the same protection post Brexit.

Klunk
    Free Member

i think even the Daily Mail smell a rat 🙂

martinhutch

is another way of saying we need the protection of EU anti-trust laws and there is no guarantee that the UK will provide the same protection post Brexit.

I would be unsurprised if many of those economically in favour of Brexit would oppose this status quo – it allows non-EU capital to flow through the City during aggressive takeovers and enriches them, normally at the cost of ‘efficiencies’ ie jobs and the migration of assets/control away from the UK. It’s an interesting unintended consequence that this free-for-all has caused a major corporation to move its base. I’m sure others who are at risk of this kind of hostile takeover will be looking at this with interest.

igm

Daniel Hannan is apparently advocating a EU deal on the Swiss model.  Interesting.

So freedom of movement for people, roughly in the common market  – good.

But no voting rights, payments (which could of course be higher than they were given we got a rebate) – probably not so good.

And no ECJ – which people will have mixed views on. Supranational courts can be quite useful when nations decide to do whatever they feel like – and they do.

Of course Daniel can be a bit of a pariah in Brexy circles due to his ability to think as well as support the ideology of Brexyism.

molgrips
    Free Member

So freedom of movement for people

Is the Swiss model really FoM?  I had to jump through hoops to work there for a few weeks and that was just an assigment with my normal job.  I still needed a work permit and it was pretty restrictive.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Bottled it…. swivel eyes have Stockholm Syndrome i reckon.

Del

The Swiss are a pita. Getting equipment in and out means customs clearance, declared values, all that, and punitive fines if you get it wrong. It’s an expensive place to live and expensive to do business. The last time I was there ( a few months ago ) my hosts explained how the government tried to stimulate business but to not great effect, particularly in the tech sector.

Beautiful place, and if you’re a native in work, or well off, undoubtedly fabulous.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A loooooonnnnng thread, but a good read from Steve Analyst (@EmperorsNewC) which gives lie to some of the bullshit spun out by some of the main Leave protagonists on an almost daily basis.

oldnpastit

Daniel Hannan is apparently advocating a EU deal on the Swiss model. Interesting.

Switzerland is in the Schengen area.

So is he saying that leaving Brexit means removing any kind of passport controls from our borders?

Of course Daniel can be a bit of a pariah in Brexy circles due to his ability to think as well as support the ideology of Brexyism.

🙄

mattyfez

Seems the UK government is now not going to shaft its citizens living in the EU and vice versa, how very noble of them.

We’ll be staying in,  in all but name if not a complete reversal.

I suppose the question now is how far is this band wagon going to roll whilst the UK sheds influence, jobs and business to the mainland, before the whole sorry mess is laid to bed?

igm

Of course one of the things the Brexies got right is that being in the SM / CU without being fully in the EU is a bad thing.  All the rules with no voting rights.

So in solidarity with that point of view I suggest we remain in the EU and keep the voting rights.

I think that’s what IDS and the like meant.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Is the EU report on the irish border that Jamby keeps on pushing as solving the problem the same report that the UK govt stated does not present an adequate infrastructure-free solution?

koldun
    Free Member

Seems the UK government is now not going to shaft its citizens living in the EU and vice versa, how very noble of them.

Spain said the same but now there is this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/16/gibraltar-warns-it-could-rescind-citizens-rights-if-spain-uses-veto-on-brexit-deal

tjagain

What have you seen on citizens rights?  I haven’t seen anything recently

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What a farce.

cchris2lou

yep no checks at Dover and other borders , not sure it complies with WTO rules though .

tjagain

no checks on the UK side.  Plenty at the french side.

mrmo
    Free Member

yep no checks at Dover and other borders , not sure it complies with WTO rules though .

<div>Two opinions I have come across, either may be right or wrong,</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>you can have no border checks but you need to have no border with anyone, ie scrap passport control at all airports….</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>or you must have a border to ensure rules of origin etc.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Either way the UK can have no border but that won’t stop the rest of the world imposing them to protect their businesses etc.</div>

thecaptain
    Free Member

“No border” was never a serious option, it’s just indicative of the quality of blether that comes out of the mouths of the govt we are currently blessed with.

oldnpastit

no checks at Dover and other borders

I wonder how much this is forced on the government because they’ve realised they just can’t build the infrastructure and hire the people in time, and the costs would do horrific things to the UK budget.

Just imagine what people will think when it turns out we can’t afford to build a new hospital or recruit nurses, but we can afford to build customs posts and recruit vets to check livestock, or highly paid Capita consultants to write shonky customs software or…whatever.

zippykona

Does this mean I can go to Belgium stock up on chocolate and bring it back without being stopped?

kelvin

Facebook suspends controversial data firm Cambridge Analytica

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43440043

Klunk
    Free Member

red line may caves in to EU demands…. but we can sign trade deals during the 21 month transition shame they’ll take 6-10 years to negotiate 🙂

cchris2lou

Good job by the growns ups today , or not ?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Oh I think we can all applaud Teresa’s excellent achievements…so long as our priority is to applaud Teresa at all costs and ignore the reality of what is actually happening, like a good Tory serf.

Just hope some of the spineless **** have the guts to vote it down like they keep promising to do. I’m not holding my breath though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>TBH I am struggling o think of an issue where they have moved and one where we have not</span>

mrmo
    Free Member

Top British QC has letter from Senior BBC figure confirming BBC does “code negative messages about Corbyn” into programmes

hmm…. not strictly Brexit but does suggest something very wrong at the heart of the uk media.

grahamt1980

The express readers do seem a little upset

cchris2lou

Tomorrow DM front page should be interesting !

tjagain

cchris2lou

Only on theEU side for not just chucking the whole thing away.  this is exactly what we could have had a year ago.  The EU have their position based on legal certainty.  The tories can either like it or lump it.  there was no room for the EU to move on 90% of it.  For example creating two classes of EU citizens in the UK – simply not possible for the EU

Klunk
    Free Member

hmm…. not strictly Brexit but does suggest something very wrong at the heart of the uk media.

the bbc deny “photoshopping” but they are the same image with the hat doctored to look more “russian” and less fisherman which conveys a message when tinted red and plastered over the kremlin.

Viewing 40 posts - 44,881 through 44,920 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.