Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Ok Junkyard. Your moment has arrived!

Convince the sceptics why we are better off in the EU than out.

Greybeard
    Free Member

My instincts are all for staying in. We had a referendum (I voted in it) with a 2 to 1 majority for staying. We’re in a union, whether we like it or not and should just get on with it. There are aspects of it I’m not happy about, so we should try to change them, but we have to be on the inside to do that. The UK economy has evolved to suit being in the EU. That was not without problems, but there would be more problems reversing it. Trying to unscramble eggs is difficult; entropy must increase. Civilisation has tended towards bigger units as communication and travel has become easier. People may feel happier to split into smaller and more parochial units, but while being independent may give the illusion of being in control, in a global market you’re still constrained by what everybody else does. The small players are likely to be edged out over time. The UK’s global influence is left over from having an empire, where we were in charge not a partner, and that’s one reason why we don’t feel as comfortable in a union – but we lost our previous trade links as the EU grew, and if we leave it now we’ll just become more isolated as time goes on.

chewkw
    Free Member

Essentially staying in means creating a EU Politburo … 😆

You are merely trying to emulate the USSR but interpret the system in your own ways by thinking you can better them.

What a bunch of Utopian … 😛

If we become a full member … guess who will be the first to suffer?

The working class lot! Who else! 😆

The middle class and the well off (probably you lot) or the celebrities will still retain their wealth no matter where they go. The working class people are stuck! Stuck!

Not only are the working class people now have to compete with other working class people in full EU membership … ya, competition is good. … they now have to bow to become more working class than working class. Now let see if you can compete with others that can speak more languages, more mobile (moving from one place to another), much better to endure hardship etc …

Who will suffer? The local working class …

Northwind

flanagaj – Member

So maybe our government does pass rules the electoral don’t agree with, but at least we are given the chance to cast our vote to another party after the 5 year period.

…and then you get the government some other country voted for. Oh no wait, that’s Scotland.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

cbike
    Free Member

Speaking to my Dad tonight he was saying it doesn’t matter if we are in or out for stuff like trade or a tiny amount of immigration and emigration that will always happen anyway.

He just remembers playing in Bomb Craters, and damaged buildings, and receiving food parcels from America and being very aware of the stability we have had since. Sounds a bit like Syria to me.

Look at us all bickering about faff all! Bunch of ranting nonsensical idiots. Perhaps Britain and Europe, Russia and USA should quit gazing into their own bloody navels and maybe think about dealing with other more serious problems. I like to think they are but this whole referendum is just a distraction. At least the Pope said something sensible for once and advocates building bridges.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As the whole EU trade argument (yawn), business will carry on as usual. Are we all that naive to think that Europe will say “don’t do business with those naughty Brits?”

Just slap a nice 10% terrific on everything, then ban anything that doesn’t comply with all EU rules and make border inspections hard. No more cheap fags and booze and all that too. It’s naive to assume anything… It makes an ass of u & me. By saying out you are gambling on an outcome.

mooman
    Free Member

Almost 65 million consumers in the UK. That’s 65 million consumers with potential to spend on German goods.
    Where will Germany find another 65 million consumers with money to buy their goods?
    China are trying to encourage their population to buy their own goods – so that’s potentially a shrinking market.
    India? Wealth inequality means those with money are too few.
    Rest of the EU? Nope, that market has already been cultivated.

No doubt EU leaders will try to bully Uk as they did with Greece. But ultimately they need access to our markets – before USA grabs it all.

Vote for out here.
    Let EU and USA compete for our trade.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Out, bringing back duty free shopping is the biggest benefit!

nickc

Almost 65 million consumers in the UK. That’s 65 million consumers with potential to spend on German goods.
    Where will Germany find another 65 million consumers with money to buy their goods?

1. have you seen the size of China? there are cities with those sorts of population numbers there.

2. How d’you know that in the future a UK govt won’t decide that rather than support German jobs, they’d like to support British car jobs and slap import taxes on those Beamers, and Mercs?

British PM love strutting about on the world stage, outside of the EU, we’re a mid sized economy floating about in the Atlantic, which both the EU and US china and Russia will ignore

konabunny
    Free Member

You seem to be under the impression that the UK only buys goods and services and doesn’t need to sell them as well.

You are radically overestimating the specialness of the special relationship.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I love the way the BBC make it look like CMD has been up all night ‘thrashin’ out a deal..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35609968

“some progress” = the EU aint buying it

dalesjoe
    Free Member

What worries me is how it will all look in 20 years. I’m all for an EU that improves the ability of members to trade freely. However this move towards ever closer political ties is the element I’m not so keen on. The EU we have now will not be the EU we have in 20 years or so. I’m not old enough to remember the original vote to join the EU (or whatever it was called then). Relatives of mine who voted “Yes” back then all say that what we have now is not what they voted for. Economic ties, yes. Ever growing political ties, No.

I can honestly see both sides of the argument and as such am undecided.

Northwind

cloudnine – Member

I love the way the BBC make it look like CMD has been up all night ‘thrashin’ out a deal.

I’ve decided that no longer counts as antisocial hours, we need a 7 day government so he never gets to sleep again.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The whole thing is little more than theatre – in the end, rather silly using up all our political capital dealing with minor issues when the REAL EU issues have yet to raised and debated. Why shoot you bolt on the marginal stuff?

Merkel will always look for compromise unlike nos amis as she knows how bad Brexit is for the “project”.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this stupid and trivial thing over child benefits is enough for me to say we should leave.

Even if the UK has to pay child benefit to children in other countries, why should it not be indexed to the cost of living of the country the children are in ?

Seems eminently sensible to me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I love the way the BBC make it look like CMD has been up all night ‘thrashin’ out a deal..

why do you love it – it appear that he has indeed been up all night ?

atlaz
    Free Member

The whole thing is political pandering by Cameron. He hopes that the EU will give in a bit, the UK won’t exit the EU and everyone is happy and our Dear Leader gets to play the hero (see also, getting Google to pony up SOME cash). Worst case, the EU say no, the UK votes for an exit and Cameron/the Conservatives/the entire UK ends up with a mess to clear up.

sbob
    Free Member

Merkel will always look for compromise unlike nos amis as she knows how bad Brexit is for the “project”.

This, I believe, is the crux of the matter.
    Ignoring the facts (correct me if I’m wrong!) that with the exception of Germany, the UK is the biggest net fund raiser for the EU and has the biggest economy (greater than the 19 smallest economies of the member states combined), Brexit would almost certainly act as a catalyst for the ever growing, yet routinely under-reported anti-EU superstate feelings that exist in many member states.

I really don’t know what is best, and I’m unsure how I would vote, but a total reform of the EU to achieve what we originally voted for, rather than the “project” we now have, would be nice.

Brexit maybe the only way this can be achieved, otherwise I fear we may just be continuing to flog an extremely dead horse.

ahwiles
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    … Worst case, the EU say no, the UK votes for an exit and Cameron/the Conservatives/the entire UK ends up with a mess to clear up.

Cameron will be pressured to resign, and he very well might. He won’t have any mess to clear up, he’ll just move on to the extremely profitable world of being an ex-PM.

(if we think TonyB has done well out of it, just imagine how much money Dave will make)

br
    Free Member

Even if the UK has to pay child benefit to children in other countries, why should it not be indexed to the cost of living of the country the children are in ?

So you are also happy then for some folk to receive more than we do, ie Swedes, Germans , the French?

And also EVERYONE who receives child benefit in the UK will have to prove where their children live, all the time. Whereas at the moment the only time the Govt contacts someone about their payments is when the child gets to leaving education age.

Can you imagine the increase in costs of administering this?

dragon
    Free Member

when the REAL EU issues have yet to raised and debated.

This is what I can’t stand about the EU, they’ve had years to ‘fix’ the Eurozone problems and a year or two to get to grips with the refugee crisis, and what do we have as an outcome for all the talks and expenses very, very little.

UK should leave, and go win business elsewhere to create a proper global trading area, Middle East, China, India, N & S. America, Africa. Then go old school and re-arm to keep the ever blood sucking Germany (of Southern Euro countries) in check.

konabunny
    Free Member

slap a nice 10% terrific on everything

mt
    Free Member

I’ve heard they were up all night playing darts and drinking beir. Thats why todays morning meeting has been put back till lunch.

atlaz
    Free Member

dragon makes chekw look coherent. quite the task

jambalaya
    Free Member

Merkel allegedly keen on indexing child benefit to country of residence as Germany pays out more to Polish kids than we do.

Cameron and EU are show boating to give the allure of tough negotaiations. The fact is Cameron has asked for nothing of any substance, none of it is binding as their is no treaty change.

EDIT: Merkel isn’t even present at the negotaitions, the EUs most powerful leader is a no show 😯 She’s sending a signal about how important this charade is

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus the EU army is a very bad idea – what is wrong with Nato?

The potential EU army and the number of countries close to Russia that want to join the EU is one of the reasons Russia is so unhappy about those countries and why it is keen to keep relations in the middle east.

dazh

Then go old school and re-arm to keep the ever blood sucking Germany (of Southern Euro countries) in check.

Nice to see this ‘debate’ has been re-invigorated by you and flanagaj with some first class ignorance and foreigner hating jingoism. If only we could go back to the days of dropping bombs on our neighbours instead of going on holiday there 🙄

On a more serious note, I may be mistaken but I can see Cameron being forced to back an out vote unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat. He’s backed himself into a corner by promising to win substantive reforms and the tory right will pin him to the wall on it. We could very well end up sleepwalking into the most catastrophic and far reaching decision in decades in order to solve an internal party political issue within the conservative party.

chewkw
    Free Member

dazh – Member
    Nice to see this ‘debate’ has been re-invigorated by you and flanagaj with some first class ignorance and foreigner hating jingoism.

Ya, as if I welcome another foreigner to share my cake. Me am no BritLand born native you know. Most foreigners do not like each other coz they ain’t sharing the cake. Fact. 🙄

atlaz – Member
    dragon makes chekw look coherent.

Do you have difficulty understanding general people or just non-native legal alien? 🙄

Or are you just having some sort of gag reflex? 😯

Ya, gag reflex … 😆

binners

I think a collective shrug will be more likely than panic.

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t dislike the German people but the German state policies of destroying the Southern European countries for their benefit and then encouraging mass migration (for Germany’s benefit), is only going to lead to more and more problems. Unless something is done then it is going to end very badly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

to put things in perspective LBC were just at the refugee/migrant camps in France and there was an afghan guy who had been there for 6 months, fled afghanistan because of the war/taliban activity after the war, and during the war had fought with us and been trained by us, and had pulled a wounded British soldier out of the front line. An MOD accessor said he would be clased as having PTSD.

He was stuck in the camp yet we allow tons of far eastern ‘workers’ into this country to benefit from our economy (possibly claim child benefit multiple times what they could get at home) and provide shoddy levels of workmanship (based on my experience).

mooman
    Free Member

nickc – Member

1. have you seen the size of China? there are cities with those sorts of population numbers there.

No theres not.

2. How d’you know that in the future a UK govt won’t decide that rather than support German jobs, they’d like to support British car jobs and slap import taxes on those Beamers, and Mercs?

And thats the reason Germany won`t do the same. If they can do it – we can too.

British PM love strutting about on the world stage, outside of the EU, we’re a mid sized economy floating about in the Atlantic, which both the EU and US china and Russia will ignore

Russia may not be too interested in our markets … China, USA and EU certainly are.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

to put things in perspective LBC were just at the refugee/migrant camps in France and there was an afghan guy who had been there for 6 months, fled afghanistan because of the war/taliban activity after the war, and during the war had fought with us and been trained by us, and had pulled a wounded British soldier out of the front line. An MOD accessor said he would be clased as having PTSD.

I heard that also, what a story eh ? I dont believe a word, if he had helped a British Soldier to safety from a dangerous situation it would have been national news and Im pretty sure the wounded soldier would have come forward by now.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

In answer to the original question – Out.

If the Eu had remained what we, the poor, uneducted and pitiful little people were told it was in the beginning (ie a common trading market, reduced barriers to buying and selling goods) then I would be keen to stay. However, it has become clear that the grand master plan was always to create a United States of Europe which IMHO will never work and not something I want to be a part of. So, right now, I don’t really care what concessions Cameron may be able to get I think the whole project is badly broken and the best thing that we can do is leave it.

molgrips
    Free Member

However, it has become clear that the grand master plan was always to create a United States of Europe which IMHO

No it wasn’t. Some people want that, but a lot don’t.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s that ‘ever closer union’ thing that seems to catch people’s attention.

to me, it sounds a bit like a cheesy wedding vow – technically meaningless.

to others, it sounds like The Borg are coming to assimilate us all. And make us drink beer lager from 250ml glasses.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

“No it wasn’t. Some people want that, but a lot don’t.”

And you know that for a fact do you Mol? Considering what the original stated aim of the EU was we seem to have an awful lot of political aparatus in place these days including European Parliament building, EU MPs etc. All looks suspiciously like a federated union of member states rather than a trade agreement body. Although I can’t recall where I saw it I seem to vaguely remember some revelations following Ted Heath’s death that the grand plan had always been to grow the role and influence of the EU but that the politicians in charge at time had deliberately kept that information from the public to ensure less / no resistance. Who knows what the truth of the matter is but I do know that I don’t like what we currently have or where it is heading so given the choice, I would vote for OUT.

ahwiles
    Free Member

elections to the european parliament are based on proportional representation.

Europe (as a federated union) is more democratic than the uk…

molgrips
    Free Member

Any federation of states has a boundary between state and federal anyway. Your prpblem would be with too much federal power, as in the USA, not with a federation in general, I suspect.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.