Viewing 40 posts - 42,361 through 42,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • athgray
    Free Member

I prefer that sense of selflessness to be focused firstly on my fellow British citizens and secondly the UK is one of the most generous countries in the world regarding foreign aid.

On the first point, I am delighted to differ from you, and certainly will not argue. Please keep reposting it.

On the second point. We are generous with regards to foreign aid. We are also still in the EU. I don’t know Brexiters in any real numbers that wish to see an increase of foreign aid. Show me that is the trend, or please don’t denigrate foreign aid from jumping on that bandwagon. I get a sense of your opinion of foreign aid towards Eastern Europe for example. They are foreigners after all. They don’t drink magnums of Tattinger, or seek 10% share dividends like you or I so they must be different.

Also, although countries in Africa may feel aggrieved by the EU, if they think a Brexit vote will somehow consolidate support for their sorrows within the UK and thus show an increase in financial assistance from us, they are as deluded as those that believed Farage when he said that leaving the EU would give all UK citizens “long pieces of bent string.”

athgray
    Free Member

Brexiter Britain!

Countries should look after themselves

Brexit supporting Tory Penny Mordaunt saying countries should look after themselves. Great advert for foreign aid I think.

I might be biased as my wife had to head out in dangerous driving conditions of deep snow toaday with a Polish born colleague to deliver palliative nursing care to rural communities. They felt like they were in the trenches together, and certainly not looking after themselves. I suppose my wife should be doing that on her own?

kimbers

May coughs up another £45m to add to the Brexit bill just to keep the border at Calais.

With Brexit already costing us estimated £350m a week in lost growth, it’s just not much but I’d rather it’d been spent on the NHS for example.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just an aspiration though kimbers, yeah? Let us do that!

molgrips
    Free Member

I prefer that sense of selflessness to be focused firstly on my fellow British citizens

Why?

What the **** difference does it make it someone in need is British or Somalian? Seriously?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I prefer that sense of selflessness to be focused firstly on my fellow British citizens

how will your french wife feel about this as you retire in portugal?

You are an example to us all in putting Britain first

sbob
    Free Member

You are an example to us all in putting Britain first

😆
    Just subtle enough…

kerley
    Free Member

What the **** difference does it make it someone in need is British or Somalian?

A lot of difference to a racist person.

tjagain

UK: We want a unicorn
    EU: We don’t do unicorns. None of us have unicorns, There are no unicorns.

UK: But we promised unicorns and the people have spoken. We want unicorns
    EU: That’s not really our problem. There are no unicorns

UK: You’re being unreasonable. We demand unicorns
    EU: There are no unicorns

UK: You are bullying us with your outrageous demands!
    EU: Eh? We just said there are no unicorns because… well… there are no unicorns.

UK: OK! We get your game. You’re stalling! We’re prepared to walk away without a unicorn you know! (Thinks: that’ll show’em)
    EU: There are no unicorns.

UK: You bastards! Nigel was right. You’re out to destroy us. We’ll go and speak to Donald instead. HE has unicorns!
    EU: Errrrrmmm, there ARE no unicorns.

UK: That does it. This is our final position. We want unicorns…right now… gold plated… fluent in greek….ermmm…. or we’re off!
    EU: Are you still here? There are no unicorns.

UK: DAMMIT! What about a packet of crisps then?
    EU: Sorry we’re busy.

tjagain

Macron

Please allow me to be very clear. I’m here neither to punish nor to reward. I want to make sure that the single market is preserved because that is very much at the heart of the European Union.

So the choice is on the British side, not on my side. They can have no differentiated access to financial services. If you want access to the single market, including the financial services, be my guest. But it means that you need to contribute to the budget and acknowledge European jurisdiction. Such are the rules and we know this is the system already in place for Norway.

If you want a trade access, it will cover everything, but then it is not full access to the single market and to financial services. Otherwise it’s closer to the situation of Canada. We have some trade agreements which allow access to all services, be they financial or others, access as well to any industry sector, but not the same level of relationship as if you were a member of the single market. And there shall be no hypocrisy in this respect, otherwise it will not work. Or we would destroy the single market and its coherence.

So, its’s simple. I would not want to exclude any sector in the trade agreement to come. The negotiations will be led by Michel Barnier. But it does not mean that the access it will allow will be equivalent to [being] a member of the single market. Otherwise you can choose between Norway, or being the equivalent of a current member of the European Union.

jambalaya
    Free Member

From Labour MP Austin Mitchell, could not have put it better myself 😉 (he makes the same points I have been making for a year)

It’s time for Britain to toughen up in the Brexit negotiations

thecaptain
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/18/brexit-blow-as-satellite-monitoring-centre-moves-from-uk-to-spain

Great to see we are shipping out more of this unwanted EU bureaucracy. Give back control!

kilo

jambalaya – Member
    From Labour MP Austin Mitchell

He’s not an mp though is he

kelvin

From Austin Mitchell’s article…

The latter would mean an unhappy frustrated electorate forced to endure a relationship it doesn’t like.

This is pretty much guaranteed. No one has outlined a (single) new relationship that “the electorate” would prefer, and vote for, over membership.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@athgray the best way to help the developing world is though trade, e.g. remove the barriers on coffee imports put in place to protect German roasters (coffee beans are cheap to import to EU, roasted coffee faces high tariffs), remove high tariffs placed on clothes and footwear, remove high tariffs on agricultural products we don’t produce (e.g. tinned peaches) etc etc

Junkyard it’s the wife that most wants to go to Portugal not me, I do have friends who have done it and are encouraging us. Even if we retire there we’ll not spend more than 4 months a year there would be my guess. Bizarre thing is with Schengen no one will know where are within Europe or for how long.

TJ is it quite illuminating how you take everything the EU, Macron etc say as factual but disagree with everything may and the Tories have to say. By the way Macron said during the French election he was going to cancel the Le Touquet agreement and draw up a new one. NOT. Macron is still under the illusion financial services are going to relocate to Paris, however with astronomical taxes and labour laws making it difficult to fire people he has zero chance of success. Most who are making a move will do so to Germany to be close to the centre of economic power and/or to cheaper jurisdictions like Ireland or Malta (Lloyds Insurance business). Also financial services are just a small proportion of our services business (29% I recall the figure is) and the vast majority of those business flows are not related to the EU at all. It is EU companies that are coming to London to borrow money, if they don’t come to London they get no dosh.

kelvin

My new shoes cost £7.33 from Decathlon. I don’t want to go back to tinned peaches… I remember the late 1970s.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Was 30% a day or two ago. At this rate they’ll be gone by brexit day anyway 🙂

tjagain

Jamba – its because all the major players in the EU say the same thing and its very clear what is possible and what is not. NOne of Mays fantasies have any basis in truth. the simple fact is the UK cannot have finacial services in the EU without being a part of the EU and being under the ECJ

27 coutries say one thing. the leaders of the mainpolitical groups in the EU say the same thing. The EU president says the same thing. The EU negotiating team all agree.

May wants something that allthe above players have ruled out categorically and that would in some cases be against EU law

the finacial servies are already moving out.

Yet you believe what May wants will happen

Why do you keep on claiming things that are categorically ruled out and that are demonstrably false.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Macron needs to do his homework

So the choice is on the British side, not on my side. They can have no differentiated access to financial services. If you want access to the single market, including the financial services, be my guest. But it means that you need to contribute to the budget and acknowledge European jurisdiction. Such are the rules and we know this is the system already in place for Norway.

Why chose Norway when making a point about financial services?? Drunk or merely confused?

Why would one of Frances largest banks be increasing investment in the U.K. now?

A total crock

UK cannot have finacial services in the EU without being a part of the EU and being under the ECJ

😯

Why do you keep on claiming things that are categorically ruled out and that are demonstrably false.

Is an excellent question to ask widely

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bizarre thing is with Schengen no one will know where are within Europe or for how long

are you saying you are such a threat they ought to keep tracks off you?

thecaptain
    Free Member

TJ, you are forgetting that TNUMTWNT. Apparently some people still believe this, or pretend to.

kilo

Thm is it to capitalise on the disruption of Brexit to gain market share in UK corporate and investment banking and because many corporates have noticed that there is less of a choice of banking partners, especially of those who are very well placed locally but who also really can act in Europe… So like good business practice they will make money as others suffer the chaos?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know that.

But that missed a rather important point re reciprocity

tjagain

TNUMTWNT

Eh?

Junkyard
    Free Member

They Need Us More Than We Need Them

mattyfez

I have a proposal, every one wants brexit should pay for it and have thier passports annulled, seeing as that’s what they want.
    That should free up enough cash for the rest of us to carry on as we are.

Everyone’s a winner.

kilo

unfortunately the only person I knew at BNP parisbas who I could ask, we arrested so you’ll have to expand on your usual clues as to what’s going on in thm’s brain 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Excellent from Tom Bell. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Let me paraphrase that for you: “we should demand unicorns”

I’m not sure if you think it’s a big revelation that that’s exactly how you think – it’s standard Brexiteer delusional stuff, and you’ve made it clear enough over the last 1200 odd pages that’s the philosophy you subscribe to.

cchris2lou

I hope Jambalaya is watching french news channel tonight , lots of Brexit talks .
    Even the english journalists are taking the piss out of TM . 😆

tjagain

Austin Mithelo being quoted as if he made any sense? the guy is a proven nompty

cchris2lou

and what about the increase spending in Calais and TM saying the UK will accept more immigrants ??

I thought that France will have to pay for the border , another red line turning pink ish ……..

aracer
    Free Member

UK: Donnie, can we have some unicorns please?
    Donnie: We have the best unicorns, the best. Making unicorns great again!
    EU: There are no unicorns, you don’t have any unicorns Mr Trump.
    Donnie: Fake news. Sad.

mattyfez

another red line turning pink

The UK obviously prefers it in the brown rather than the pink.

Possibly too crass? Mods Feel free to delete if nessesary.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kilo. My brain sticks to very simple things

Hence I read what people actually say rather than sifting through what others claim they say including what the EU thinks would happen to EU Fis activities in the UK in the event of a no deal that the foolhardy might expect. It comes in the first few pages of their briefing paper.

BNP are not muppets and they will have sounded out the powers that be re likely outcomes. Hence their actions this week are an important clue about what the French really expect. Unsurprisingly they are not alone

Smart folk are capable of dealing with the shades of grey that lie between black and white. ‘‘Twas ever thus.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yeah and stupid folk will riot when they don’t get their unicorns. ‘‘Twas ever thus. Hope you’re hoping for a cold wet summer.

mattyfez

teamhurtmore – Member

BNP are not muppets

Yes they are.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No like the negotiations I am hoping for the best (while preparing for the worst)

Odd to hope for nasty things

kelvin

“Cold wet summer” comment was clearly related to “riots”, which no one wants (although some threaten).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I would not hope for either.

But if people keep exaggerating things I guess it could happen. Who needs responsible people?

Viewing 40 posts - 42,361 through 42,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.